NForce4 Serial ATA (DEVELOPMENT)

hamlo

185 posts in this topic

EDIT by macgirl:

A working kext and instructions to add it to the Installation DVD can be found here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=35985

I need testers for test my rebuilded driver for NForce4 SAT. On my computer:

Biostar NF4UL-A9 Athlon Venice 3000

Athlon Venice 3000, 1.5 G RAM

340016A 40 G PATA Barracuda,

3200822AS 200 G SATA 150 Barracuda,

3250824AS 250 G NCQ SATA 300 Barracuda

it's working perfect...

MAC OS 10.4.7 xCode 2.4 bla-bla-bla

IOATAFamily.kext.zip

For install:

1. copy from desktop or other unpacked module location

cp -R /Users/user_name/Desktop/IOATAFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions

2. change attributes

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext

chmod -R 644 /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext

3. delete thise files

rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

4. reboot

Apple :D

This pics from my Hackintosh... :D

post-61454-1161714800_thumb.jpg

post-61454-1161714837_thumb.jpg

post-61454-1161714874_thumb.jpg

For any questions in PM...

Best regards Hamlo from Russia

Copied 7 Gb of data in 2 min 13 sec.

Xbench results are impressive!!

Disk Test 72.06

Sequential 112.23

Uncached Write 170.33 104.58 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 141.39 80.00 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 64.21 18.79 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 140.40 70.57 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 53.07

Uncached Write 19.91 2.11 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 170.92 54.72 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 85.90 0.61 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 130.51 24.22 MB/sec [256K blocks]

EDIT: Compare to same disk on Silicon Image 3132 with official drivers. /EDIT

Will try to calculate MD5 hash on source and copied data so I know that no data corruption has taken place. Will report back later.

Very nice indeed!!

EDIT: Hmmmm ... my drive seems... dead. This seems to be high-risk testing.... Must check drive, back in a bit.

It's not dead... but something happened.

This is what happened:

I did get a freeze so I rebooted.

SECOND EDIT: Sorry, text below should say Sil3114, not Sil3112. Corrected now.

Moved the drive to my Sil3114 controller and when I booted the disk did not show up. THIRD EDIT Somehow my Silicon Image 3114 (which I had support for through the AppleVIAATA.kext) does not load anymore. /THIRD EDIT In Windows my FAT32 partition shows ok on the disk and if I attach it to the nForce controller again MacOSX sees it once more.

THIRD EDIT Weird. Does AppleVIAATA use your kext?? Could it in that case be that the are some dependencies between them that does not work anymore??? Ok, I screwed up with the Sil3114 driver. :D It does work in parallel. :D /THIRD EDIT

Still no MD5 hashes due to these problems.

2 Callysto, What hardware you have ?

MB, Manufacturer, HDD, Manufacturer.... I shall try to resolve this problem

This driver working perfect on my Biostar nForce4 Ultra... No data corruption or freezes. I test my driver over 3 days

Some facts about my system:

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum with on-board Silicon Image 3114 controller and an Silicon Image 3132 on my PCIe x1.

for my test I used two disks:

Disk A attached to nForce(EDIT: SATA). Disk A contains one HFS+ partition and one FAT32 partition.

Disk B attached to Sil3132 (which uses official unibin drivers and has been rocksolid for a month). Disk B contains one HFS+ partition and one NTFS partition.

This is what I did:

2Gb file from B-NTFS => A-HFS+

2Gb file from B-NTFS => A-FAT32

2Gb file from A-HFS+ => A-FAT32 (OSX gave some error that some data could not be copied and aborted)

reboot

2Gb file from A-HFS+ => B-HFS+ => A-FAT32

2Gb file from A-HFS+ => A-FAT32 (again, this time ok, although weird that it didn't work first time around)

Sad to say all 4 files show different MD5 sums...

Copying from my Sil3132-SATA-HFS+ to my nForce4-SATA-HFS+ gave me the following error (and operation aborted naturally):

"Sorry, the operation could not be completed because an unexpected error occured (Error Code -50)."

This is the error I reported earlier (but could not remember at the time) so it is the second time I see this in about 15 file transfers.

EDIT: After that error I can not write to that partition at all, not even delete a file. Now it says: "Some of the items you are moving are in use by another application. Moving the items can cause problems with the application using them. Are you sure you want to moce these items?" Pressing "Continue" gives the same message with the -50 error code again.

Second EDIT: Still can't remove it after a reboot (had to use terminal as root to finally remove it). I also got a file that WinXP could not remove from my FAT32 partition after I had written it with this driver (the file kept coming back after each delete) but I could remove it with MacOSX.

Just wanted to let you guys know.

Weird. Does AppleVIAATA use your kext?? Could it in that case be that the are some dependencies between them that does not work anymore???

Still no MD5 hashes due to these problems.

have you tried to delete appleviaata? maybe it's loaded before the working kext

I... :) screwed up with the SIl3114 thing. Has nothing to do with the nForce4 driver. It works now and I edited my previous post to show that. (I changed to a too old Info.plist for AppleVIAATA when I wanted to remove nForce support from that so that there would be no conflict between this new driver and the AppleVIAATA concerning nForce. Removed too much I am afraid. :wallbash:

Concerning the MD5 hash tests it is a little more disappointing for me.

1) Wrote file to disk using Windows. Calculated MD5 sum in Windows.

2) Read file from disk attached to Sil3114 controller (and Sil3132 controller). Calculated the exact same MD5.

3) Read file from disk attached to nForce controller. Different MD5 everytime I calculate it! For a moment I thought it was only writing that was screwed up but this indicates that also reading is not working in my case.

Anyone else who is having better luck??

I have also done some tesing. First I only tried to access the files on my NTFS SATA disks, and it worked quite good, exept for that I only could see 1/3 of my files on one partition, weird.

Anyway, I compared the windows calculated checksum of my ntfs files with my now osx calculated, and discovered that the sometimes was correct and sometimes wasn't.

Then I created a HFS+ partition on one of my SATA disks, and copied a large file (8gb+) to this partition. No problem, compared checksum with original, NOT same :)

But, what I then discovered is more interesting, I booted up windows and did a checksum on the sata-hfs+ file and to my suprise, it was correct!

It actually seams that this new driver CAN WRITE, BUT CAN'T READ.

And thanks hamlo! This driver works far better then the last one i tried :) (But still not good enough)

I... :) screwed up with the SIl3114 thing. Has nothing to do with the nForce4 driver. It works now and I edited my previous post to show that. (I changed to a too old Info.plist for AppleVIAATA when I wanted to remove nForce support from that so that there would be no conflict between this new driver and the AppleVIAATA concerning nForce. Removed too much I am afraid. :D

Concerning the MD5 hash tests it is a little more disappointing for me.

Hey, I am having the same -50 error that you were having. What exactly did you do to fix this error? Thank you, I'm dying to get OSX running on my new SATA drive.