Realtek Wifi Driver causes kernel panic?

thexorg

9 posts in this topic

hi,

I've got a USB WiFi dongle based on a Realtek RTL8188CUS (because my internal Intel WiFi card is not supported) and I installed the official driver from the realtek website. Seems like it's a problem that the latest driver version is for OS X 10.8, because I'm getting kernel panics sometimes when using the driver's WiFi Utility to connect to my wifi. Is there a solution, maybe also a driver which uses the integrated "Wifi Connection Panel" (Dongle is detected as a WiFi device (not as a wired network as it is now) and i can connect to OS X without an additional 3rd party configuration panel).

TheXorg

Sell it and buy DW 1510

sorry, thats no option (for me). Here in germany, that thing costs about 30-50€ (32-55 dollars) and I would also need to install a modded bios (to remove whitelist, ThinkPad X220). I fixed the kernel panics (caused by the wifi utility when the system language is not english, fixed with newer driver & utility), but one issue remains. The Driver kills sleep - when i close my laptop lid, the screen just goes black and the laptop stays awake (i have a sleep led, it stays off). When I open it again, the screen stays black and it cannot be "woken" by pressing any keys - seems like it's hanging. What I guess is it's hanging while trying to unload the kext - if i try to unload the wifi kext using kextunload, it never finishes. Any idea?

sorry, thats no option (for me). Here in germany, that thing costs about 30-50€ (32-55 dollars) and I would also need to install a modded bios (to remove whitelist, ThinkPad X220). I fixed the kernel panics (caused by the wifi utility when the system language is not english, fixed with newer driver & utility), but one issue remains. The Driver kills sleep - when i close my laptop lid, the screen just goes black and the laptop stays awake (i have a sleep led, it stays off). When I open it again, the screen stays black and it cannot be "woken" by pressing any keys - seems like it's hanging. What I guess is it's hanging while trying to unload the kext - if i try to unload the wifi kext using kextunload, it never finishes. Any idea?

Hallo :D

I am from germany too. Bought mine used off eBay for 10€

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=231224551696&alt=web

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, but I'd still have to flash a modified BIOS with the risk of having a very expensive paperweight. I guess I'll keep the not-so-perfect-working USB solution.

It's perfectly safe as long as you do as the instruction say. I have risked myself several times modding the T430's bisos ( a lot more difficult than the T420/X220 due to new security chip onboard, had to take the bios off the logic board and flash using external programmer ) and it still runs like a champ

• 2 weeks later...

It's perfectly safe as long as you do as the instruction say. I have risked myself several times modding the T430's bisos ( a lot more difficult than the T420/X220 due to new security chip onboard, had to take the bios off the logic board and flash using external programmer ) and it still runs like a champ

I'll decided to do it. If anything goes wrong, is it possible to restore it like mentioned here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/x220-dead-after-BIOS-update/td-p/1762585

Shall I get a DW1510 or a DW1515, what are the differences? Both seem to be Dual Band 2.4/5GHz a/g/n.

• 1 month later...