10.4.6 doesn't see my nForce 4/WD SATA Drives

Paprika

4 posts in this topic

Ughh!!!

I thought I had the right iso: JaS 10.4.6.install.dvd.iso

But the Disk Utility doesn't see either of my 2 Western Digital SATA hard drives!

I was following this guide: [HERE] so I am at the point where I have a 20GB FAT32 Primary partition ready to be formatted/converted to that Mac OS Extended (Journaled) file system..

If this version I downloaded doesn't support my system's SATA drives (specs in signature) then what does????

Thank you for your time!!

OSX doesn't support nForce4 SATA controllers. Only Intel and VIA. A few people hacked the VIA driver to work with the nForce4 controller, but they got data corruption.

Install a PATA drive for OSX. A 20 GB drive can be obtained for next to nothing.

Not to knock you or doubt you but are you sure?

I'll look in the wiki but I asked about this last month and was told the support was there... see this thread [HERE]

EDIT: So I looked in the Wiki:

Is NForce chipset SATA supported?

Yes, editing AppleVIAATA kext with your nForce device ID's will enable SATA. Search forum for more info.

EDIT: So I looked in the Wiki:

Is NForce chipset SATA supported?

Yes, editing AppleVIAATA kext with your nForce device ID's will enable SATA. Search forum for more info.

You didn't ask which nForce in your question.

nForce3 can work, but nForce4 causes data corruption for the very few who got it to work at all.