Ethernet Only Works On Restart

Midsyde

2 posts in this topic

Help me Insanelymac you're my only hope! (7 days and counting!)

So let me start out by admitting yes, I am running on a rather old build. That being said, everything runs 100% without issue, except the Ethernet...until I restart.

My build is as follows

Motherboard: EVGA P55V with BIOS 02.64
Processor: Intel i7 860
Graphics Card: XFX ATI Radeon HD 4890
Ram: 4GB DDR3 1600 Mhz (will be 16 by the end of the week)

Network: 82578DC Intel

The system has been running like a champ since 2009 on Snow Leopard. I have used it without issue since then, but decided it was time to get the rig up to date and decided to install Yosemite.

I installed it using methods not to favorable on this site (I read up before posting), but it has worked for me in the past so I did it again.

Everything worked as expected without kernel panic or other common issues found on these forums.

That all being said, on initial start up I have no NIC. I am talking unrecognized hardware. Computer says there is no cable plugged in like it's an unrecognized card.

As soon as I restart, BAM. Everything works perfect and the internet works without issue.

Both AppleIntelE1000e.kext and IntelMausiEthernet.kext work, but I decided to go with Mausi (it appears to be faster).

I have tried a multitude of things over the past several nights. DSDT edits, different FakeSMCs, Different boot flags, different kexts, changes to different plists including deleting the Network preference files.

Everything I do has zero effect on fixing the ethernet.

Enclosed are 4 pictures.

Pre-Restart and Post-Restart show my IORegistry with the en0 magically showing up after restart.

Fail is the console log when Ethernet fails to initialize on startup, Success is on the restart when it works.

ANY assistance would be greatly appreciated. I am bashing my head in trying to solve this issue. I know the easiest solution would probably be just to buy a pcie card, but as I said, this works perfectly on restart AND worked without issue on Snow Leopard for years.

Thanks in advance.

Fail.tiff

Success.tiff

Pre-Restart.tiff

Post-Restart.tiff

• 1 month later...

Hi Midsyde,

unfortunately I cannot help you, but I did want to let you know that you are not alone in this!

I found your post by searching Google for "evga p55v network after restart" because for quite a long time now, I have had to start my computer twice to get Ethernet.

I've discovered that it suffices to hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete after my USB keyboard is available and before the OS loads (in my case Linux, but the issue also happened years ago when using Windows on the same box).

I am suspicious that it has to do with the SATA controller.

Initially, I actually thought perhaps a particular HDD was causing this mysterious error (somehow... I know, silly), but after I upgraded to larger drives & finally disconnected the old drives, I booted up today and the error was still happening.

The reason I thought it might be a particular HDD was that in the BIOS post screen, it would "hang" for just a little bit when finding one of the drives. However, after restarting, this "hang" became much shorter. When I moved the HDD physical connections around to a different ports on the motherboard, the "hang" would move to another port as well. But now it appears that the "hang" has occupied a different spot, and wasn't in fact connected to a particular HDD.

My new hypotheses are:

• I have misconfigured something in the BIOS. Doubtful, because I don't recall the problem cropping up with a change in BIOS, but I may have misremembered.
  • It's a problem with the P55V when more than one SATA drive is connected. Somehow. (I will next see how it behaves with only one drive connected, but haven't done this yet.)
  • It has nothing to do with the SATA controller, and the "hang" that I see is a mere coincidence.

In any case I wish you the best of luck and would be interested to hear if you find out what the issue is. Until then I will be Ctrl+Alt+Del'ing whenever I boot.