stinga11

Haswell-E 5820k 5930k installation guide with full speedstep working

371 posts in this topic

Advertisement

Guys please dont use DSDT its not necesary for anything. The only that you need is follow the guide

Guys please dont use DSDT its not necesary for anything. The only that you need is follow the guide stinga.

please,

hi stinga, please, could you share your config.plist and your cpu bios settings?

This guide AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext not load.

This guide AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext not load.

This guide was made to work with XCPM not AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

Hi all,

Us over in the 5960X thread are trying to get that CPU to boot in El Capitan.  To date, it seems that no one has successfully used this CPU.  To figure out what is going on we want to look at ACPI tables for the 5960X and the 5930K on the same motherboard.

Would anyone in this thread who has a 5930K on the Asus X99-E WS be kindly willing to upload their ACPI tables?

Thank you!

Anyone able to get 2 GPUs to work under X99 system?

Yes, but you won't be able to use them in CrossFire or SLI.  They will both be registered by the system though.

Stinga--I noticed this error in console and have been trying to address it, but it still remains.

X86PlatformShim::start - Failed to send stepper

Pike states that it is caused by a failure to find the board-id's frequency vectors. I know that the X79 Plugin kext is supposed to be injecting that information, but it does not seem to be working quite right. 

I also tried to modified the X86PlatforumPlugin manually to ensure that the MacPro Board-ID plist was in there (I stole the one from the X79 plugin), but it still generates this same error. 

I then tried a iMac14,2 SMBIOS, but no difference in power management.

I assume this is part of why we have incomplete power management with Hasewll-EP. For example, turbo states are not reached reliably, nor does a 100% load even result in non-turbo states being flat-lined in IPG. 

Running Cinebench gives dramatically different scores each time, with mine varying from as low as the 800s, to as high as 1710.

Are other people also having this problem? If not, please post your SSDT and config.plist.

I guess the question is, does anyone see?

X86PlatformShim::sendPStates - Success!
X86PlatformShim::sendStepper - Done!

If so, then they really have XCPM loaded. I only have it halfway installed. Not using AICPUPM, but not really XCPM.

@maleorderbride: same error on my side. Tried generating SSDT with several different flags (see https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh/issues/65 ) but I always get the same message

Yea, I read that as well when googling last night. However Pike's latest ssdtPRGen doesn't even allow me to make new SSDTs as it no longer allows me to supply all values for CPUs that do not exist on his tables.

Too lazy to file a bug report as of yet...

Hey guys, after Vegas craziness I wanted to do some testing and see what I can come up with.

What's been tested:

Hardware: 5930k on X99-E WS

Different variations of SSDT, Clover and versions of Mac.

MacPro6,1 gives the best overall graphic performance on the GPU, but the CPU performance is not that great, plus you can actually see some noticeable lag in the UI.

iMac17,1 (all models) gives the best CPU performance, but there is a GPU lag and USB's acting up a bit strange (telling me that there is not enough juice to charge a mouse :) ).

So what I end up doing is removing SSDT,  and letting Clover do the P/C state injections (v.3338, oddly enough any version prior to that never managed to work on injecting the states.), replaced the the MacPro6,1 ( Mac-F60DEB81FF30ACF6 ) frequency vector with the one from iMac17,1 (i7 version, Mac-65CE76090165799A ), started clover with -xcmp and so far got the best compromise of speed and power. No FakeCPUID is being used.

One of the ways I've tested the UI lag is to preview Arabesque screensaver, almost on all of the combinations I've tried it was a 3-4fps slideshow except the last one.

My two cents; I know that this is still not a 100% flatline, but it gets close, and considering that it hovers in the overclocked turbo region is good enough for me and I think for most people unless you're doing some heavy CPU lifting e.g Scientific, video, audio I don't think you'd notice (doing compiles on xCode, android and some heavy VMware tasks myself I didn't see the any difference. )

Now since, Geekbench and Cinebench might not be the best to test, I end up testing it with Handbrake in real life situation e.g. converting Full HD mov into Full HD h264 MP4 file, and well... let me pictures speak for themselves.

Geekbench:

post-6786-0-41644800-1453777365_thumb.jpg

Cinebench:

post-6786-0-90645500-1453777352_thumb.jpg

Handbrake:

post-6786-0-22474000-1453777440_thumb.jpg

And looking to at sysctl machdep.xcpm and looking at the system log I think XCMP is loaded correctly.

post-6786-0-42187600-1453777455_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps someone.....

On the side note:
USBs are working perfectly without and inject or mods, the only thing needed is up-ing the limit of ports to get 2 more ASM's loaded.

post-6786-0-40246200-1453777464_thumb.jpg

Very nice work Balamut! I'll give that a shot somewhere in the nearish future.

For now, I have just disabled speestep, which allows me to stay continuously in turbo states and gives me absolute flat lines during renders in IGP. This gives me extremely solid and consistence performance, but obviously everything runs a bit warmer and I am always consuming ~50W+ witht he CPU. ;p

Your solution looks like a much better year round application. Thanks for posting that!

Hey guys, after Vegas craziness I wanted to do some testing and see what I can come up with.

What's been tested:

Hardware: 5930k on X99-E WS

Different variations of SSDT, Clover and versions of Mac.

MacPro6,1 gives the best overall graphic performance on the GPU, but the CPU performance is not that great, plus you can actually see some noticeable lag in the UI.

iMac17,1 (all models) gives the best CPU performance, but there is a GPU lag and USB's acting up a bit strange (telling me that there is not enough juice to charge a mouse :) ).

So what I end up doing is removing SSDT,  and letting Clover do the P/C state injections (v.3338, oddly enough any version prior to that never managed to work on injecting the states.), replaced the the MacPro6,1 ( Mac-F60DEB81FF30ACF6 ) frequency vector with the one from iMac17,1 (i7 version, Mac-65CE76090165799A ), started clover with -xcmp and so far got the best compromise of speed and power. No FakeCPUID is being used.

One of the ways I've tested the UI lag is to preview Arabesque screensaver, almost on all of the combinations I've tried it was a 3-4fps slideshow except the last one.

My two cents; I know that this is still not a 100% flatline, but it gets close, and considering that it hovers in the overclocked turbo region is good enough for me and I think for most people unless you're doing some heavy CPU lifting e.g Scientific, video, audio I don't think you'd notice (doing compiles on xCode, android and some heavy VMware tasks myself I didn't see the any difference. )

Now since, Geekbench and Cinebench might not be the best to test, I end up testing it with Handbrake in real life situation e.g. converting Full HD mov into Full HD h264 MP4 file, and well... let me pictures speak for themselves.

Geekbench:

attachicon.gifGeekbnechClover.jpg

Cinebench:

attachicon.gifCinebenchClover.jpg

Handbrake:

attachicon.gifHandBrakeClover.jpg

And looking to at sysctl machdep.xcpm and looking at the system log I think XCMP is loaded correctly.

attachicon.gifxcpmClover.jpg

Hope this helps someone.....

On the side note:

USBs are working perfectly without and inject or mods, the only thing needed is up-ing the limit of ports to get 2 more ASM's loaded.

attachicon.gifUSBX99.jpg

Its look nice but them 62.0 C maybe High.