fusion71au

Run Vanilla OS X El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra or Mojave in VirtualBox 5.x.x on a Windows Host

111 posts in this topic

Advertisement

Any possible hints for a system that won't boot past the EFI shell once the installation is over?

I had no problem following the guide for High Sierra all the way through the core installation process, but after the installation the system dumps me to an EFI shell, and I can't figure out how to get the system to actually boot the installed OS at that point.

1 minute ago, siriusfox said:

Any possible hints for a system that won't boot past the EFI shell once the installation is over?

I had no problem following the guide for High Sierra all the way through the core installation process, but after the installation the system dumps me to an EFI shell, and I can't figure out how to get the system to actually boot the installed OS at that point.

Press "F12" key on VBox boot - locate your CLOVERX64.efi from EFI Partition:

Boot Maintenance Manager - Boot from File 

\\or with Boot Manager - EFI Hard Drive.

28 minutes ago, Badruzeus said:

Press "F12" key on VBox boot - locate your CLOVERX64.efi from EFI Partition:

Boot Maintenance Manager - Boot from File 

\\or with Boot Manager - EFI Hard Drive.

No luck unfortunately. The guide does not currently say to install Clover. Clover looks to be a tool like refind, but even booting Refind from an ISO doesn't actually show the Mac installation. As far as I can tell the installer given the guide isn't setting up the EFI partition properly or something similar.

Exiting from the EFI shell regardless dumps me to the boot manager, but the two relevant boot options ("Mac OS X" and "Mac Boot") both dump me back to the EFI shell once I try to start them.

7 minutes ago, siriusfox said:

No luck unfortunately. The guide does not currently say to install Clover. Clover looks to be a tool like refind, but even booting Refind from an ISO doesn't actually show the Mac installation. As far as I can tell the installer given the guide isn't setting up the EFI partition properly or something similar.

Exiting from the EFI shell regardless dumps me to the boot manager, but the two relevant boot options ("Mac OS X" and "Mac Boot") both dump me back to the EFI shell once I try to start them.

Did you "Enable EFI" and is your guest macOS using GUID Partition Scheme?

Boot with Clover ISO then install Clover to your EFI Partition, I guess.

Enable-EFI.png

34 minutes ago, Badruzeus said:

Did you "Enable EFI" and is your guest macOS using GUID Partition Scheme? 

Boot with Clover ISO then install Clover to your EFI Partition, I guess. 

Enable-EFI.png

I did install with EFI enabled, and I can boot Clover and Refind post install. Unfortunately, neither system sees the installed OS.

37 minutes ago, siriusfox said:

I did install with EFI enabled, and I can boot Clover and Refind post install. Unfortunately, neither system sees the installed OS.

Have you placed "ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi" and or VBoxHfs-64.efi on /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI ?

Edited by Badruzeus

OK, crashing issue about CoreAudio for macOS Guest has been fixed with VirtualBox 5.2.22-126460 release.

On my case:

- VoodooHDA v2.9.1 installed on /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other
- AppleHDA on SLE was moved (we could use HDADisabler alternatively)
- VM Settings: Audio Enabled, Core Audio, Intel HD Audio Controller, Enable Audio Out

Here's the changelog: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog

VirtualBox_macOS 10.14_10_11_2018_07_58_04.png

Edited by Badruzeus

On 11/4/2018 at 8:40 PM, Badruzeus said:

Have you placed "ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi" and or VBoxHfs-64.efi on /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI ?

I had not. Thank you! Pulling the clover release for VMware rather than the upstream release from Sourceforge fixed that problem. Things are booting and setup appears to be working.

The big question in my mind is now how do I get it to boot reliably in the future. The guides are currently a bit scattered, so knowing where to read from here to stabilize the system a bit would be quite helpful.

Posted (edited)

Install hanging on "Creating RAM Disk":

I am trying to get a VM running Mojave 10.14.3 on Virtualbox 5.2.22 r126460 on Windows 10.

I followed the instructions and got as far as step 3 after removing the macOS.iso, reboot now from the virtual hard drive, Clover runs, choose the first option (Boot macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot), it starts running through scripts and then hangs when creating RAM disks, it never gets to the MacOS install GUI. I have tried to leaving it there for over an hour, VM CPU usage drops to zero and nothing happens. I have tried a few times and oddly each time it stops in a slightly different place but always appears to be when creating one of the RAM disks.

Any ideas please?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: It seems there may be something wrong with the ISO file. When running the installer with a new vmdk file, it looks like it crashes before the end and doesn't finish writing all the OS files, so when it reboots it then hangs because it can't find some file it expects. I'll try recreating the iso from my Mac.

Annotation 2019-03-02 113926.jpg

Edited by AntonH1