InsanelyMac Forum
fusion71au

Run Vanilla OS X El Capitan, Sierra or High Sierra in VMware Workstation 12 on a Windows Host

Okay so I reinstalled and everything seemed to be working fine. I shut down the VM. Went home. Today it does the same thing. The boot screen with the apple logo comes on. The progress bar gets about 80% across the screen, and then the screen maximizes. The window goes black and nothing. I can see some notifications pop up on the top right side. But they're kind of transparent. But the background is all black and I can't find anywhere to click to get it to do anything. If I leave it setting the screen saver eventually pops up. Any ideas? Thanks.

Advertisement

So I reinstalled for a third time. I have tried to install Clover as recommended, and it doesn't seem to work. The vm boots and works, it just is booting like normal and not going to a clover screen. So for now I'm just not "powering down" the VM. I only "suspend" it. And reboot only when necessary. So far its still working, but wish I could get clover to work.

hey, guys,

what if i build the vm on the mac (get it configured and as set up as possible)?

how would these instructions be modified for that? obviously, i would ignore installation, but, what about editing the v files? does that happen before or after the move?

thanks,

bw

On KabyLake CPU I had to set MAC OS version to 10.7, else VMWare always crashed when attempting to start the VM. It is kinda counterintuitive, because I have 10.12 (Sierra) installed. I tried with and without SMC mods - the same result.

Update for High Sierra 10.13

The host settings from post#1 still work for macOS High Sierra 10.13.0_17a365 (VMware Workstation 12.5 and unlocker 2.0.8, Apple Mac OS X as the Guest operating system and macOS 10.12 as the version).  If the host has sufficient memory, I recommend allocating 3GB or more for a High Sierra VM guest.

Workstation 14.0 and Unlocker 2.0.9 "unofficial beta" support High Sierra OOB but Workstation 14 does not support host CPU older than SandyBridge :mad:.

To prepare the High Sierra ISO on your Mac or Hack:

1.  On your Mac or Hack, download/copy "Install macOS High Sierra.app" into your Applications folder.
2.  Unmount any attached install image/InstallESD.dmg (if currently mounted) by rebooting the system or running the hdiutil unmount command in terminal eg
ls /Volumes
hdiutil unmount -force /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System   (if you find 'OS X Base System')
hdiutil unmount -force /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD   (if you find 'OS X Install ESD')
3.  Download and unzip the CHSI.tool (attached to this post) into your ~/Downloads folder. The commands in this executable script are shown below for informational purposes.  Note: you will need approx 16GB of free space on your hard disk for the script to complete.

#!/bin/bash

# Create HSierra sparseimage of 7316mb with a Single Partition - Apple Partition Map
 hdiutil create -o /tmp/HSierra -size 7316m -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J -type SPARSE

# Mount the HSierra sparseimage
 hdiutil attach /tmp/HSierra.sparseimage -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_build

# Restore the Base System into the HSierra Blank sparseimage
 asr restore -source /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/BaseSystem.dmg -target /Volumes/install_build -noprompt -noverify -erase

# Copy Install App to Base System
 cp -rp /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System

# Unmount the Base System image
 hdiutil detach /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System

# Convert the HSierra spareseimage to ISO/CD master
  hdiutil convert /tmp/HSierra.sparseimage -format UDTO -o /tmp/HSierra.iso

# Rename the HSierra ISO image and move it to the desktop
  mv /tmp/HSierra.iso.cdr ~/Desktop/HSierra.iso

# Delete HSierra.sparseimage file
  rm -f /tmp/HSierra.sparseimage

4.  Open OS X terminal, then run the following commands to execute the script:
cd downloads
chmod +x CHSI.tool
./CHSI.tool
5.  At the end of the process, you will have a HSierra.iso on your desktop - copy this onto an exFAT formatted USB for use on the PC Host later.
6.  Attach the iso to the Virtual Machine on the PC Host and start the installer, run VMware tools etc...

post-846696-0-92489100-1506427308_thumb.png

CHSI.tool.zip

I am having some issues with high sierra, the APFS conversion is messing stuff up for me 12.5.7 + unlocker 2.0.8

I guess it means I need to install Sierra and then upgrade with the trick that allows you to avoid converting to APFS. 

It there a way to to trigger 

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --converttoapfs NO

From the terminal? Maybe edit the plist or something? 

Anyone running VMWare 12.5.7 with high sierra on APFS? 

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --converttoapfs NO

When I run it in terminal in the recovery/install area it complains "Error: could not find OSInstallerSetup.framework" 

@samsam99,

That's because you haven't specified --applicationpath /Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app eg

/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --volume /Volumes/macSSD --converttoapfs NO --applicationpath /Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app

where "macSSD" is name of target volume.

Here are some screenshots from the install on "macSSD".  I have booted from the "OS X Base System" installer created with CHSI.tool in post#30, and started terminal from the Utilities menu...

post-846696-0-19956300-1506573615_thumb.png

post-846696-0-33736600-1506573644_thumb.png

post-846696-0-36106000-1506573680_thumb.png

post-846696-0-05619200-1506573704_thumb.png

post-846696-0-55420800-1506574687_thumb.png

The method to install clover on VM doesn't work any more for the latest version of Clover.  Clover on VM has been broken for a while, and their dev team seems to have no intention to fix that. I cannot use my passthrough GPU, that's pretty bad  :(

The method to install clover on VM doesn't work any more for the latest version of Clover.  Clover on VM has been broken for a while, and their dev team seems to have no intention to fix that. I cannot use my passthrough GPU, that's pretty bad   :(

The problem is not Clover per se but which toolchain is used to compile it...latest Clover r4223 compiled with GCC5.3 in Linux Mint 18.1 works fine to boot High Sierra 10.13 in VMWare12...

post-846696-0-71229400-1506670015_thumb.png

Clover r4223 for VMware.zip

Please can the guru's help,

I have Fusion 8.5 with an old el caption guest os. I'm booting into an old version of clover which then starts up el capitan.It worsk 100% fine, heck even my imessage.

The problem:

I cannot find the site that help me to perform this about 2 years ago.

i want to do the same with Fusion pro 10 firing up latest clover and boot into macOs High Sierra

Run Vanilla OS X El Capitan, Sierra, Yosemite or Mavericks in VMware Workstation 12 on a Windows Host

I wanted to make a simple guide on how to create a vanilla OS X El Capitan virtual machine running on a Windows host.  The virtual machine should be useful for testing El Capitan and also for creating installers for use on a real machine/hackintosh.

There are many guides and videos on the net about running OS X on Windows machines using pre-made VMWare disk images but you can never guarantee what else is in there….

I’ve gathered info for this guide from various threads in the Multibooting and Virtualisation section of this forum eg

Credit and thanks to @Donk, @Albert Nietsnie and @MSOK for all their hard work in creating and testing the VMware Unlocker program.

Requirements

• Intel PC with four or more CPU cores running Windows 7 X64 or later OS (2 or more cores needed for OS X)
  • 4GB or more RAM (2GB or more will be needed for OS X)
  • Hard Disk with at least 40GB free for Virtual Machine
  • VMware Workstation 12 or later
  • VMware Unlocker 2.0.7 or later
  • Install OS X El Capitan app and Mac or Hack to prepare installation iso
  • 16GB or larger exFAT formatted USB stick to transfer El Capitan iso from Mac/Hack to Host PC

Prepare Installation ISO on your Mac or Hack

1.  On your Mac or Hack, download "Install OS X El Capitan.app" from the App Store into your Applications folder.

2.  Unmount any attached install image/InstallESD.dmg (if currently mounted) by rebooting the system or running the hdiutil unmount command in terminal eg

ls /Volumes

hdiutil unmount -force /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System   (if you find 'OS X Base System')

hdiutil unmount -force /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD       (if you find 'OS X Install ESD')

3.  Download and unzip the CECI.tool (attached to this post) into your ~/Downloads folder. The commands in this executable script are shown below for informational purposes….

#!/bin/bash

# Mount the Installer image
 hdiutil attach /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_app

# Create El Capitan sparseimage of 7316mb with a Single Partition - Apple Partition Map
 hdiutil create -o /tmp/ElCapitan -size 7316m -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J -type SPARSE

# Mount the El Capitan sparseimage
 hdiutil attach /tmp/ElCapitan.sparseimage -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_build

# Restore the Base System into the El Capitan Blank sparseimage
 asr restore -source /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.dmg -target /Volumes/install_build -noprompt -noverify -erase

# Remove Packages link and replace with actual files
 rm /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages
 cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/Packages /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/

# Copy El Capitan installer dependencies
 cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/BaseSystem.chunklist
 cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/BaseSystem.dmg

# Unmount the installer image
 hdiutil detach /Volumes/install_app

# Unmount the Base System image
 hdiutil detach /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/

# Convert the ElCapitan spareseimage image to ISO/CD master
  hdiutil convert /tmp/ElCapitan.sparseimage -format UDTO -o /tmp/ElCapitan.iso

# Rename the ElCapitan ISO image and move it to the desktop
  mv /tmp/ElCapitan.iso.cdr ~/Desktop/'EC 10.11.0.iso'

# Delete ElCapitan.sparseimage file
  rm -f /tmp/ElCapitan.sparseimage

4.  Open OS X terminal, then run the following commands to execute the script:

cd downloads
chmod +x CECI.tool
./CECI.tool

5.  At the end of the process, you will have an El Capitan iso on your desktop - copy this onto an exFAT formatted USB for use on the PC Host later.

Update: @shela has created an ISO generating script compatible with OS X 10.6-10.12: create_osx_iso post #362.

Install and Patch VMware Workstation 12 on your PC

1.  Download and install VMWare Workstation Player 12 or later

2.  Download and extract Unlocker 2.0.7 or later to your USB stick…

3.  Run the win-install.cmd as administrator by right clicking the file in Windows explorer or run it from an Administrative Command Prompt.

attachicon.gifVMWare_unlocker207.png

attachicon.gifRun Command Prompt as administrator.png

attachicon.gifwin-install.cmd.png

Create an El Capitan Virtual Machine

1.  Double click on the VMware Workstation 12 Player icon on your desktop and click “Create a New Virtual Machine”.  Choose “I will install the operating system later” at the How will you install screen….

attachicon.gifCreate a New Virtual Machine.png

2.  Select Apple Mac OS X as the Guest operating system and OS X 10.11 as the version.  By default, an OS X 10.11 folder will be created in your Documents\Virtual Machines folder.

attachicon.gifSelect a Guest Operating System.png

attachicon.gifName the Virtual Machine.png

3.  Under Specify Disk Capacity, you can leave the default 40GB or set a larger value.  I personally store the virtual disk as a single file.  Click Finish and you will see OS X 10.11 on the Main Screen of Workstation 12.

attachicon.gifStore virtual disk as a single file.png

attachicon.gifFinish.png

4.  Next, we need to edit the virtual machine settings to map the virtual SATA CD/DVD drive to the El Capitan installation iso we created earlier.

attachicon.gifEdit virtual machine settings.png

attachicon.gifBrowse for ISO image file or use physical drive.png

5.  To prevent the virtual machine from crashing in Windows, the virtualHW.version set in the vmx configuration file needs to be changed from 12 to 10 (alternatively, the line smc.version = "0" can be added to the file).  The OS X 10.11.vmx file can be edited with the WordPad program (navigate to the OS X 10.11 virtual machine folder with Windows Explorer and right click on the file to open in WordPad).

attachicon.gifEdit vmx file with WordPad.png

attachicon.gifSet virtualHW.version to 10 or SMC=0.png

6.  For HW10, set USB compatibility to USB 2.0, otherwise your mouse and keyboard might not work in the virtual machine.

attachicon.gifSet USB compatibility to USB 2.0.png

7.  Finally click “Play virtual machine”

attachicon.gifPlay VM.png

Installation of El Capitan

Installation should be relatively straight forward, just following the prompts of the OS X installer:

1.  Select language, agree to legal terms

attachicon.gifSelect language, agree to legal terms.png

2.  Use Disk Utility from the Utilities Menu to erase and format the virtual hard drive as a single partition GUID Mac OS X Extended.  I’ve named the drive Macintosh HD but you can enter whatever you like eg El_Capitan.

attachicon.gifOS X Installer Utilities - Disk Utility.png

attachicon.gifOpen Disk Utility from Utilities Menu.png

attachicon.gifErase disk and name Macintosh HD.png

3.  Quit DU and choose Macintosh HD to install El Capitan on.

attachicon.gifChoose Macintosh HD.png

4.  After 20-30 min (depending on how fast your system is), the installation will complete and the VM will automatically reboot…

attachicon.gifReboot for first time.png

5.  At the welcome screen, choose your country and keyboard layout.  You can skip transfer information, location services and logging in with your Apple ID if you wish…

attachicon.gifWelcome choose country and keyboard.png

attachicon.gifTransfer Information, location services, AppleID, terms and conditions.png

6.  Create a User Account and select your Time Zone.  You can skip sending diagnostics and usage data to Apple….

attachicon.gifCreate a Computer Account.png

attachicon.gifSelect Time Zone, Send Diagnostics and Usage Data.png

7.  Finally, you will arrive at the El Capitan Desktop.  You should eject the Installation iso now by right clicking and selecting “Eject OS X Base System”.  This will allow you to install VMware Tools….

attachicon.gifEl Capitan Desktop.png

attachicon.gifEject OS X Base System Installer to install VMware Tools.png

attachicon.gifInstall VMware Tools.png

8.  After rebooting, the VM can now be resized or run at full screen resolution.  Audio and network/internet should also work OOB.

attachicon.gifSystem Information.png

SMBIOS Customization and iMessage Vars

To make the Virtual Machine more "Mac like", you can edit the vmx file to add unique identifiers from a real Mac's SMBIOS -

eg for an iMac 11,3 SMBIOS, you can enter the following lines....

smbios.reflectHost = "FALSE"
board-id.reflectHost = "FALSE"
board-id = "Mac-F2238BAE"
hw.model.reflectHost = "FALSE"
hw.model = "iMac11,3"
serialNumber.reflectHost = "FALSE"
serialNumber = "W80#######6"

Refer How to spoof real Mac in VMware - Multi-booting and Virtualisation.

The critical variables for iMessage/Facetime activation are MLB & ROM.  By default, VMware "reflects" the host's MLB and ROM since it assumes you are running the OSX guest on a real Mac host - see post#42 by @Donk.

If the host is a Windows PC, the following lines need to be added to the vmx file (requires virtualHW.version 12 and smc.version = "0")....

efi.nvram.var.ROM.reflectHost = "FALSE"
efi.nvram.var.MLB.reflectHost = "FALSE"
system-id.enable = "TRUE"

and the MLB, ROM and optionally system-id entered manually eg

efi.nvram.var.MLB = "W80######BA1A" (MLB can be 13 or 17 characters long, alphanumeric string)
efi.nvram.var.ROM = "<=>?@A" (ROM is entered here as a 6 character ASCII string)
uuid.bios = "## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##-## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##" <---Optional (if you want to inject a given system-id hexadecimal value)

Note the output for ROM from imessage_debug is a 12 character hexadecimal that needs to be entered here as a 6 character ASCII string eg using an Hex to ASCII converter we find that "3c3d3e3f4041" hex is equivalent to   "<=>?@A".

Vanilla Mavericks and Yosemite

The same VM settings for El Capitan will also boot and run vanilla installations of OS X Mavericks and Yosemite :).  Attached to this post are installer scripts to create bootable Mavericks (CMI.tool) and Yosemite (CYI.tool) ISOs for VirtualBox and VMware.

With the respective OS X installer apps in the Applications folder, download and run the installer tools using terminal ie

To create a Mavericks ISO on your desktop

cd downloads
chmod +x CMI.tool
./CMI.tool

To create a Yosemite ISO on your desktop

cd downloads
chmod +x CYI.tool
./CYI.tool

Here is a screenshot of the VM running Mavericks 10.9.5...

attachicon.gifVanilla Mavericks on VMware.jpg

Enjoy :)

Update for Sierra 10.12

The above settings still work for macOS Sierra after upgrading to VMware Workstation 12.5 and unlocker 2.0.8 - see post #13.

Update for High Sierra 10.13

See post#30.

Hi,

Does this method work for latest edition of clover, macos high sierra and fusion 10 pro.

I have fusion 8.5 and it did work first time when i installed it late 2015 

@Beefcat,

Sorry, I don't have VMware Fusion on a Mac so I don't know and can't test.  Better to ask @Donk in his thread.

The method explained in post#1 was tested with VMware Workstation Player on a Windows host.

PS Why do you want to use Clover when your host is a Mac?  It is not required to run the VM or get iMessage working....

running Sierra (10.12.6) on top of VMware WS12.5.7. Everything seems to work BUT

I cannot connect my iOS devices via USB 2 anymore :((

key error symptom: endless connect-disconnect loop of USB connected iPhones and iPad

This works with identical host HW and identical VM WS 12 in VM with 10.11.6 though.

Tried unsuccessful w/ 10.12.6 VM:

- VM HW version 9-11

- powered USB hub and all HW USB hubs

What else can i try?

Thx for help

after further systematic tests: different cables, VMtools versions, host USB drivers (vmusb.sys), WS 12 uninstall (incl /clean) and reinstall

I could get 1 iPhone connected after resetting "Settings - General - location & privacy" on iPhone. This did not work for the other iPhone :(

Looks as if this error could be triggered by several causes and my problem looks to me like a timing problem.

any help appreciated

running Sierra (10.12.6) on top of VMware WS12.5.7. Everything seems to work BUT

I cannot connect my iOS devices via USB 2 anymore :((

key error symptom: endless connect-disconnect loop of USB connected iPhones and iPad

This works with identical host HW and identical VM WS 12 in VM with 10.11.6 though.

Tried unsuccessful w/ 10.12.6 VM:

- VM HW version 9-11

- powered USB hub and all HW USB hubs

What else can i try?

Thx for help

Installing 10.12.4 worked for me. The moment I update to 10.12.6, connecting iOS devices to USB will result in the endless loop as you have described. 

So at the moment I am forced to sit on 10.12.4, which sucks because my plan was to use the VM for testing out stuff with XCode and the latest Configurator (DEP Provisioning et al) 

I would hate to have to have a separate machine on my desk just for OSX, I already have too many machines sitting around here :D

How to install High Sierra on a VMware Guest (without access to Mac or App Store Installer.app)

Pre-requisites
1)  On an 8GB NTFS formatted USB, Vol Name "DATA",  a "SharedSupport" folder was prepared as described in my guide here, containing the following 6 installer files downloaded from Apple's Software Catalog ....

1. BaseSystem.dmg
  2. BaseSystem.chunklist
  3. InstallInfo.plist <---Edited, attached example here
  4. InstallESDDmg.pkg <---Renamed to InstallESD.dmg 
  5. AppleDiagnostics.dmg
  6. AppleDiagnostics.chunklist

(Hint - search page for "InstallESD" to find its URL and others nearby)

2)  macOS guest created in patched VMware Workstation Player (unlocker patch by @Donk), as described in post#1.  Attached blank virtual disk macOS.vmdk of 50GB size.

post-846696-0-44880200-1511591471_thumb.png

post-846696-0-51563500-1511591529_thumb.png

Procedure
1)  Download & extract dmg2img-1.6.7-win32 and qemu-img-win-x64-2_3_0 to USB\.  For my system, the drive letter was H:

post-846696-0-55054400-1511597126_thumb.png

post-846696-0-51669700-1511597143_thumb.png

2)  Convert BaseSystem.dmg to BaseSystem.img with dmg2img.  Open a Windows command prompt and type the following commands

H:
cd \dmg2img-1.6.7-win32
dmg2img.exe \SharedSupport\BaseSystem.dmg \qemu-img-win-x64-2_3_0\BaseSystem.img

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\fusion71au>H:
H:\>cd \dmg2img-1.6.7-win32
H:\ dmg2img-1.6.7-win32>dmg2img.exe \SharedSupport\BaseSystem.dmg \qemu-img-win-x64-2_3_0\BaseSystem.img

dmg2img v1.6.7 © vu1tur (to@vu1tur.eu.org)

\SharedSupport\BaseSystem.dmg --> \qemu-img-win-x64-2_3_0\BaseSystem.img

decompressing:
opening partition 0 ...             100.00%  ok
opening partition 1 ...             100.00%  ok
opening partition 2 ...             100.00%  ok
opening partition 3 ...             100.00%  ok
opening partition 4 ...             100.00%  ok
opening partition 5 ...             100.00%  ok
opening partition 6 ...             100.00%  ok
opening partition 7 ...             100.00%  ok

Archive successfully decompressed as \qemu-img-win-x64-2_3_0\BaseSystem.img

3)  Change to the \qemu-img-win-x64-2_3_0 directory and convert BaseSystem.img to BaseSystem.vmdk with qemu-img.exe (commands below will create BaseSystem.vmdk in the VMware macOS guest folder) ...

cd \qemu-img-win-x64-2_3_0
qemu-img.exe convert BaseSystem.img -O vmdk Path_to_your_VMware_macOSGuest_folder\BaseSystem.vmdk

H:\dmg2img-1.6.7-win32>cd \qemu-img-win-x64-2_3_0
H:\qemu-img-win-x64-2_3_0>qemu-img.exe convert BaseSystem.img -O vmdk "E:\Shared
 Documents\Virtual Machines\macOS\BaseSystem.vmdk"

4)  Attach BaseSystem.vmdk to your macOS guest as an extra hard drive.  When you see the message "Convert existing virtual disk to newer format?", click convert ...

post-846696-0-65180700-1511592095_thumb.png

post-846696-0-07659200-1511592125_thumb.png

post-846696-0-62576600-1511592144_thumb.png

post-846696-0-87550600-1511592163_thumb.png

5)  Boot the VM to macOS Utilities screen.  Attach DATA usb with \SharedSupport files to VM and open Disk Utility, show all drives ---> will see blank 50GB drive for installation, 2GB "OS X Base System" and 8GB USB "DATA"

post-846696-0-11958300-1511592630_thumb.png

post-846696-0-51803000-1511592645_thumb.png

post-846696-0-47700600-1511592666_thumb.png

post-846696-0-23173500-1511592689_thumb.png

6)  Erase blank drive, format it to HFS+j named "Macintosh HD"....

post-846696-0-94215400-1511592757_thumb.png

post-846696-0-77858000-1511592777_thumb.png

7) Close DU and start Terminal. 

post-846696-0-45165100-1511592871_thumb.png

We will build the full "Install macOS High Sierra.app" = 5GB+ on "Macintosh HD", by copying both the "small" installer app = 15MB (on "OS X Base System") and the SharedSupport folder from the NTFS volume (mounted on /Volumes/DATA)...

-bash-3.2# cd /
-bash-3.2# cp -R Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/
-bash-3.2# cp -R /Volumes/DATA/SharedSupport /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/

-bash-3.2# cd /
-bash-3.2# ls -l
total 33
drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel    68  3 Oct 00:36 .vol
drwxrwxr-x+  4 root  admin   136 25 Oct 16:09 Applications

drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel   102 17 Oct 00:41 Install macOS High Sierra.app
drwxr-xr-x+ 10 root  wheel   340 25 Oct 16:08 Library
drwxr-xr-x+  4 root  wheel   136 25 Oct 16:07 System
drwxr-xr-x   6 root  wheel   272 25 Nov 05:12 Volumes
drwxr-xr-x  34 root  wheel  1156 25 Oct 16:11 bin
dr-xr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  4539 25 Nov 05:08 dev
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel    11 25 Oct 16:09 etc -> private/etc
drwxr-xr-x   5 root  wheel   170 25 Oct 16:09 private
drwxr-xr-x  60 root  wheel  2040 25 Oct 16:11 sbin
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel    11 25 Oct 16:09 tmp -> private/tmp
drwxr-xr-x   8 root  wheel   272 25 Oct 16:08 usr
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel    11 25 Oct 16:09 var -> private/var
-bash-3.2# ls -l /Volumes
total 24
drwxrwxrwx@  1 _unknown  _unknown  8192 25 Nov  2017 DATA
drwxrwxr-x   9 root      admin      374 25 Nov 04:59 Macintosh HD
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root      wheel        1 25 Nov 05:09 OS X Base System -> /

-bash-3.2# cp -R Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/
-bash-3.2# cp -R /Volumes/DATA/SharedSupport /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/
-bash-3.2# ls -l /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport
total 10135088
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin         328 25 Nov 04:18 AppleDiagnostics.chunklist
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin     2613153 25 Nov 04:18 AppleDiagnostics.dmg
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin        1984 25 Nov 04:18 BaseSystem.chunklist
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin   491635456 25 Nov 04:22 BaseSystem.dmg
-rw-r--r--@ 1 root  admin  4694900577 25 Nov 05:36 InstallESD.dmg
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin        1484 25 Nov 04:22 InstallInfo.plist

post-846696-0-70760100-1511652756_thumb.png

post-846696-0-68519300-1511652792_thumb.png

8)  Start installation with the startosinstall utility...system will reboot --->complete installation normally...

/Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --volume /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/ --converttoapfs NO --applicationpath /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app

Note:  Make sure --applicationpath is pointing to the full installer app (>5GB) on the "Macintosh HD" volume and not the partial app on "OS X Base System", otherwise you may get the error "could not get license agreement".

:)

-bash-3.2# /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall ?
Usage: startosinstall --volume <target volume path>

Arguments
--applicationpath, a path to copy of the OS installer application to start the install with.
--license, prints the user license agreement only.
--agreetolicense, agree to license the license you printed with --license.
--rebootdelay, how long to delay the reboot at the end of preparing. This delay is in seconds and has a maximum of 300 (5 minutes).
--pidtosignal, Specify a PID to which to send SIGUSR1 upon completion of the prepare phase. To bypass "rebootdelay" send SIGUSR1 back to startosinstall.
--converttoapfs, specify either YES or NO on if you wish to convert to APFS.
--installpackage, the path of a package to install after the OS installation is complete; this option can be specified multiple times.
--usage, prints this message.
--volume, path to the target volume.

Example: startosinstall --volume /Volumes/Target --converttoapfs YES
-bash-3.2# /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --volume /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/ --converttoapfs NO --applicationpath /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app

post-846696-0-39946600-1511593876_thumb.png

post-846696-0-53961900-1511595211_thumb.png

post-846696-0-98442500-1511595256_thumb.png

Simplified Procedure with Preformatted macOS.vmdk disk, Clover r4332 in EFI and 50GB HFS+j "macOS" volume with startosinstall.command script to build the Installer.app + run startosinstall

You can replace steps 6-8 in the guide above if you use the preformatted macOS.vmdk disk file (attached to this post) instead of creating a new blank disk to attach to your VM.

6.  Open terminal from the Utilities Menu and type

cd /
ls -l /Volumes

to confirm that the following Volumes are attached to the VM:  "OS X Base System", "macOS"=HD target, and "DATA"=8GB or larger USB with "SharedSupport" folder...

post-846696-0-11073100-1512255873_thumb.png

post-846696-0-73215400-1512255895_thumb.png

post-846696-0-51401400-1512255908_thumb.png

post-846696-0-15044600-1512255944_thumb.png

7)  Launch the startosinstall.command script to assemble the Installer App on the macOS target volume and start the startosinstall utility...

-bash-3.2# cd /Volumes/macOS/
-bash-3.2# ./startosinstall.command

The process may take a while.  One way you can see its progression is to look at the size of the macOS.vmdk in the host VM folder (approx 5.2GB when the Installer App is fully assembled)...

post-846696-0-63987800-1512256070_thumb.png

post-846696-0-93321500-1512256090_thumb.png

8)  The Apple Software Licence will appear in the terminal window.  Type A to agree ---> install files will be placed in /Volumes/macOS/macOS Install Data ---> System will reboot after 30 seconds --> Phase 2 installation extracting installer pkg files from /macOS Install Data ---> Final reboot into completed system, ready to setup new user account...

post-846696-0-28491800-1512256109_thumb.png

post-846696-0-39067500-1512256218_thumb.png

post-846696-0-66733300-1512256248_thumb.png

post-846696-0-44468600-1512256450_thumb.png

9)   If you subsequently want to start the VM through Clover, click in the VM window when it is still blank and quickly press the <F2> key to access the VMware Boot Manager ---> select EFI Hard Drive ---> Boot macOS from macOS at the Clover Main Menu.  Clover nicely fills in the System's details, including a serial number (you can change this later + add custom MLB + ROM for iMessage by mounting the EFI partition and editing Clover's config.plist)...

post-846696-0-76697300-1512256543_thumb.png

post-846696-0-77053200-1512256570_thumb.png

post-846696-0-15199500-1512258303_thumb.png

macOS.vmdk.zip

@kebjjjjoooooa,

It means the system cannot read your install media.

• Ensure that you download only from official sources ie the installer.app from App Store or BaseSystem.dmg from the Apple Software Catalog URL.  You can compare the SHA1 checksum of your InstallESD.dmg and BaseSystem.dmg (Hint: right click on the installer.app in Finder and "Show Package Contents") with the correct ones at this website.

Eg for "Install macOS High Sierra.app" 10.13.1_17B48, determine its SHA1 in Terminal..

fusion71aus-iMac:~ fusion71au$ shasum /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg 

d815748c242fbbe35754a8f37aea1cfbc7e919f6  /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg

fusion71aus-iMac:~ fusion71au$ shasum /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/BaseSystem.dmg 

b38e5f4daa014d324f1a78f91c1f30f6d68289ef  /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/BaseSystem.dmg

• Prepare the install media with the tools provided/described in post#1 (Mavericks, Yosemite, El Capitan ISOs), post#13 (Sierra ISO), #30 & post#41 (High Sierra ISO or vmdk from BaseSystem.dmg).

I get a boot loop. Looking through the vmware.log file, I see several suspicious things. Any ideas what could be wrong?

2017-12-08T14:24:20.932-07:00| vcpu-3| W115: DarwinPanic: panic(cpu 3 caller 0xffffff801ca9e657): "a freed zone element has been modified in zone kalloc.48: expected 0xc0ffee3c8f1b6b4c but found 0, bits changed 0xc0ffee3c8f1b6b4c, at offset 0 of 48 in element 0xffffff80306634e0, cookies 0x3f0011bcbf7d52bc 0x53521d4324e2ff9"@/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/xnu/xnu-4570.31.3/osfmk/kern/zalloc.c:1120

2017-12-08T14:24:20.935-07:00| vcpu-0| W115: PVNVRAMSetMacOSROM: Unable to retrieve host value.
2017-12-08T14:24:20.935-07:00| vcpu-0| W115: PVNVRAMSetMacOSMLB: Unable to retrieve host value.

2017-12-08T14:24:51.761-07:00| vcpu-1| W115: DarwinPanic: panic(cpu 1 caller 0xffffff801c16f2e9): Kernel trap at 0xffffff801c60c056, type 14=page fault, registers:
2017-12-08T14:24:51.763-07:00| vcpu-0| I125: DEVICE: Resetting device 'ALL'.

I've got a boot loop as well just my kernel panic message in log is different:

vcpu-0| W115: DarwinPanic: panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff801f30fdf0): initproc exited -- exit reason namespace 2 subcode 0x4 description: none 

This is on Workstation 14 Pro on Arch Linux using an Intel CPU. I converted the BaseSystem.dmg downloaded from the regular catalog (there are two in there?) with dmg2img and then installed qemu and used qemu-img from cli with the exact same command. I used unlocker2.1.1 and could successfully select MacOS as operating system in Workstation. The resulting BaseSystem.vmdk was attached as 2nd disk. Apple on black shows up then immediately reboots.

First, thank you  fusion71au for a very informative and splendid guide.

I was able to download High Sierra from the Apple servers and complete a functional installation of v10.13.3 on VMware Workstation Player v12.5.9.

However, I came across a couple issues.

1) The preformatted 50 GB disk with Clover in post #44 did not appear to be compatible with the BaseSystem for my case.

The bootloader screen does launch. However, when I click on the BaseSystem to boot, I get an immediate firmware error and the entire virtual machine quits. I had to create a completely blank disk and go through steps 6-8 to accomplish the installation.

2) All iterations of Clover do not seem to work with my virtual High Sierra.

I have tried following all instructions and copies of Clover in this thread. The system still immediately goes to the Apple logo and OS starts.

Has anyone recently gotten the Clover Bootloader to install and run successfully on a VMware High Sierra machine? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I've one question: I'm using El Capitan on WM Player (Windows 10 x64, ssd, 16gb ram), but my vram is locked to 128mb.

If I'll install Clover, Will I be able to use my graphic card (nvidia 970m) or at least get more vram?

Thanks! ^^

Compilation of Clover with Build_Clover with GNU and launch of Clover using Alt startup was successful, but still getting a similar firmware error as before.

This is in spite of applying all settings as suggested in post #5.

Will keep working around with it.

EDIT:

Found ticket in SourceForge for Clover pointing out that SMBIOS was a major culprit:

https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/tickets/403/

Filled out SMBIOS information with Clover Configurator, but that wasn't enough. Crash persisted.

Went back and filled out Rt Variables information and put in Custom UUID under System Parameters.

Now, Clover v4416 bootloader is fully functioning, boots the High Sierra virtual machine with updated hardware ID.

Will begin experimenting with pass throughs, especially on the graphics card side.

Major goal of mine to enable a highly functional version of Osirix.

EDIT 2:

Guess this should be obvious, but basic Mac profile should mimic whatever CPU setting chosen for the virtual machine.

On 24/02/2018 at 12:51 PM, tachycore said:

Compilation of Clover with Build_Clover with GNU and launch of Clover using Alt startup was successful, but still getting a similar firmware error as before.

This is in spite of applying all settings as suggested in post #5.

Will keep working around with it.

EDIT:

Found ticket in SourceForge for Clover pointing out that SMBIOS was a major culprit:

https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/tickets/403/

Filled out SMBIOS information with Clover Configurator, but that wasn't enough. Crash persisted.

Went back and filled out Rt Variables information and put in Custom UUID under System Parameters.

Now, Clover v4416 bootloader is fully functioning, boots the High Sierra virtual machine with updated hardware ID.

Will begin experimenting with pass throughs, especially on the graphics card side.

Major goal of mine to enable a highly functional version of Osirix.

EDIT 2:

Guess this should be obvious, but basic Mac profile should mimic whatever CPU setting chosen for the virtual machine.

Hi, how the GPU passthrough works?

Posted (edited)

Hi,

thanks for the very detailed guide!

I used it to install High Sierra 10.13 on VMWare Workstation running on a Windows 10 (1803, x64) host. I used Donk's unlocker (2.1.1). I installed VMWare Tools from the Workstation menu, and the display looked fine on reboot but as soon as I log in and get to the desktop, after 3 seconds the screen resolution keeps switching back from the native 1920x1080 to scaled down 960x540 HiDPI.

When I access the OSX display settings and click 1920x1080 it stays for 1-2 seconds and switches back to 960x540 HiDPI. I can't make it stick...

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling VMWare Tools using the Darwin.iso created by the Unlocker, but the result is the same.

Running

/Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Tools/vmware-resolutionSet 1920 1080

in the terminal doesn't fix anything either (with or without sudo).

What am I missing..? Help!

EDIT: While initially searching for other posts relating to my issue I missed this one that solved it for me.

On 12/1/2017 at 9:24 PM, moisiss said:

I was having the same issue with my 10.12 VM in ESXi 6.0.  I would go to display resolution and try to select 1600x900 and it would auto-switch it to 800x450 HiDPI no matter what I did.  I was able to fix it by doing the following:

1) Open terminal in the OSX VM

2) Enter the following command (no quotes) "sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled"

3) Enter you admin password

4) Restart the VM

When the VM restarts it will now go to 1600x900 and the 800x450 HiDPI setting is gone.

Edited by DisplayError

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Cyberdevs
      Installing macOS® Sierra® on Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 rev 1.0
      Intel® Core i7 6700K
      nVidia® Graphics Maxwell® or Pascal®
      Disclaimer:
      This guide will assume that you know what you are doing and also assumes that you have already made a backup of your data before making any changes to your hardware or software. If you have not made a backup STOP HERE! and create one.
      I will not be held responsible for any data loss or any damage you might cause to your computer in the process of installing macOS® on your computer.
      By following this guide, you acknowledge that installing Mac OS X® and macOS® on any hardware that is not produced by Apple® is illegal and you will be responsible if you break any laws.
      All the trademarks and copy rights belong to their respective owners.
      This guide is only for your personal use and your information, therefore if you break any laws by using this manual you will be responsible for it not me. Any commercial use of the contents of this guide is prohibited.
      If I forget to mention your name or someone else’s name in the credits section forgive my negligence and feel free to contact me and I will add your name/s.
      This guide is written specifically for the hardware specifications I’m using, but the principal in general might apply to other hardware with similar specs with the exception of DSDT and SSDT files.
      Important Notes:
      1. Always backup your data before making any changes to your hardware or software.
      2. Always keep a bootable Clover USB disk with the latest working configurations just in case.
      3. I suggest you use another bootable USB for testing and not to edit the EFI folder on the hard drive.
      4. Preferably use the latest BIOS (F21 at the time of writing) version and the latest version of Clover EFI bootloader (4077 at the time of writing).
      5. There are two main versions of Clover EFI bootloader available in this package. One for the users with a nVidia GPU and the other one is for the users with IntelHD 530 GPU.
      6. So many parts of this tutorial are universal and they apply to all Hackintosh and Apple computers, like creating the Bootable USB disk drive or mounting the EFI partition. So, you can use them on all the computers that run macOS or even use them for installing macOS on other Hackintosh computers.
      7. The config.plist, the DSDT.aml file and the SSDT tables are specifically created for the GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 motherboard so do not use them on other hardware because they simply won’t work or even if they do you might experience some problems and errors.
      8. This tutorial is based on my personal experience. So, you might need to make some extra adjustments.

Downloading the macOS® Sierra installer from App Store:
      Download the version of macOS® you want to install on your computer from App Store, macOS® Sierra. For downloading the macOS® installer you’ll need an Apple® computer or a working Hackintosh and a valid Apple ID. Although downloading macOS® Sierra® doesn’t require an Apple ID but if you are going to use your Hackintosh for day to day use you’re going to need a valid Apple ID.
      You can download the macOS® Sierra® installer by using the link below:
      macOS® Sierra® 10.12.5:
      https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-sierra/id1127487414?mt=12&ls=1
      You can also use App Store directly for downloading it. The “Install macOS® Sierra.app” will be saved to the following path once downloaded: /Applications/

Creating bootable USB Disk for macOS®:
      Plug in a USB flash drive (8Gb or larger) and launch disk utility to format the flash drive.
      To create a bootable USB drive for macOS®, everything must be exactly as shown in the picture below.
      Once you successfully formatted the flash drive, open Terminal from /Applications/Utilities:
      Copy and paste the following command into terminal without the “”:
      For macOS® Sierra®:
      “sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app —nointeraction”
      Press return/enter to run the command. You’ll be asked to give your password and once you type your password press return/enter and the process will start.
      Depending on the speed of the USB drive you are using it will take about 5 to 30 minutes to complete the process. It took about 5 minutes on my computer to create the bootable disk on a USB 3.0 flash drive.

How to mount the EFI partition using command line:
      Launch the terminal application again if you closed it previously.
      Type “diskutil list” and press return/enter
      You’ll see list of all the Internal and the external hard drives 
      Type “diskutil mount /dev/diskXsX” and press return/enter
      First X is the number of the disk and the second X is the number of the partition
      In this case the command will be:
      e.g. diskutil mount /dev/disk2s1
      Now you can see the EFI partition of disk6 is mounted on the desktop, if you can’t see the partition on the desktop you can find it in finder window’s “Sidebar” under “Devices”

BIOS Settings:
      Now it’s time to configure the BIOS before installing macOS®.
      First of all, it’s better to “Load Optimized Defaults” settings on the BIOS so we could start from scratch without having any misconfigurations.
      You need to make the following changes to get macOS® working on your pc:
      BIOS:
      Fast Boot = Disabled
      Windows 8/10 = Windows 8/10 WHQL or Other OS
      CSM Support = Disabled
      Secure Boot = Not Active
      Attempt Secure Boot = Disabled
      Peripherals
      Initial Display Output = PCIe 1 Slot (Only If you are using a nVidia GPU, if you are using an AMD GPU you’ll need to enable IGFX and set it to primary in order to boot into macOS® Sierra®)
      Trusted computing, Security Device Support = Disable
      Super IO Configuration, Serial IO = Disable
      USB Configuration, Legacy USB Support = Enabled
      USB Configuration, XHCI Hand-off = Enabled
      USB Configuration, USB Mass Storage Drive Support = Enabled
      USB Configuration, Port 60/64 Emulation = Enabled
      SATS And RST Configuration = AHCI
      Chipset
      VT-d = Disabled (If you need it add “dart=0” flag to config.plist under Boot section)
      Internal Graphics = Disabled (Only If you are using a discreet GPU if you are using an AMD GPU you’ll need to enable IGFX and set it to primary in order to boot into macOS® Sierra®)
      In Chipset, IOAPIC 24-119 Entries = Disable
      If you are using Intel Graphics or IGFX
      In Chipset, Internal Graphics = Enabled 
      In Chipset, DVMT Pre-Allocated = set it to 64 
      In Chipset, DVMT Total Gfx Mem = set it to max
      Save and Exit.

Installing Clover EFI Bootloader:
      In order to boot successfully into macOS® you’ll need to install a Bootloader on the drive you are using as the main bootable device whether is a flash drive or a hard disk drive.
      There are number of bootloaders that could be used to boot up the macOS® on a PC computer or a Hackintosh but we will only use Clover EFI Bootloader and here is how to properly install and configure Clover EFI Bootloader on your computer.
      In this section, we will be installing the UEFI version of the Clover so if you are using the Legacy BIOS version for whatever reason this guide is not for you.
      You can download the latest version of Clover EFI Bootloader from:
      https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/
      As I mentioned before in the first page of this manual the latest version of the Clover EFI Bootloader is Clover_v2.4k_4077.

Stage 1:
      Once you have downloaded the bootloader double click the installer package to start the installation process. The process will only take few minutes and after that you need to customize or optimize the contents of the EFI partition which you’ve installed clover into. Please make sure you select the USB drive you created earlier as shown below and not the HDD of the computer you are using.
      If you see the following dialog after double clicking the installer package, all you need to do is to right click on the Clover_v2.4k_r4077.pkg and from the menu select open and once more click the open button. 
      Click continue and read the “Important Information” or not and then click continue once more.
      You need to select the location that you want to install Clover EFI Bootloader to.
      Make sure that you are installing clover to the right location, basically you must choose the drive that you have installed macOS® Sierra® onto unless you want to install the bootloader on another drive, say a flash drive.
      Now you need to customize which components of the bootloader to be installed, if not you won’t be able to boot into macOS® at all.
      Check the following items and then click install:
      1. Install for UEFI booting only (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface)
      2. Install Clover in the ESP (EFI System Partition) or (Extensible Firmware Interface System Partition)
      3. Install can also choose a theme for your clover bootloader and the CloverThemeManager.app to change or modify the themes later.
      4. Install Drivers64UEFI that apply to your system you will need at least these two drivers:
      1. EmuVariableUefi-64
      2. OsxAptioFix2Drv-64
      You can also choose other drivers if they apply to your computer and if you need them, otherwise you’re good to go.
      5. You can also install the RC script on the target volume to enable the shell command prompt in clover’s boot screen.
      Once the installation is started, the EFI partition of the hard disk or USB drive that you are installing clover to will be mounted on the desktop, if you can’t see the partition on the desktop you can find it in the finder window’s “Sidebar” under “Devices”

Stage 2:
      In this stage, you need to configure the config.plist and the other components on the EFI partition either by modifying the config.plist inside the /EFI/Clover/ folder using “TextEdit” or any other text editor application that you like or using “Clover Configurator” (recommended) application which has a GUI for editing the config.plist and it has some other useful built-in apps such as EFI mounter or a Base64 to HEX converter etc. or you can just simply replacing the “Clover” folder with the one that is provided with this guide.
      At this moment you might not be familiar with all the settings and options inside the config.plist file and Clover Configurator, no need to worry.
      You can easily replace the whole “Clover” folder inside the “EFI” folder on the EFI partition of your bootable disk (hard disk drive or USB flash drive) with the folder included with this guide and you’ll be good to go as along as your main components specifically your CPU and GPU are the same as mine.
      Otherwise you might need some additional settings and flags to be added to the config.plist.
      For instance, if you are using a NVMe SSD disk drive you’ll need to add proper patches in order to get it to work.
      You can find more about clover and its settings at:
      https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Home

and you can find “Clover Configurator” at:
      http://mackie100projects.altervista.org

How to enable kext using Clover EFI Bootloader:
      In this section I will briefly explain how to install kexts that are needed to make your macOS® work more properly and efficiently.
      As you know all the hardware components in a computer need a so called “Driver” to operate correctly in the operating system.
      The same principle applies to macOS® and Mac OS X®. We call them “Kext” files or “Extension” files.
      By default, Apple provides all the required kext files with the operating system to run on a legitimate Apple computer.
      On the other hand, on a Hackintosh you need to install some extra kext files created by the community to obtain full functionality of your computer. You can either install them directly to “System/Library/Extensions” folder of macOS® Drive or you can place them into the EFI folder on the EFI partition of your bootable drive, which is a better way because if those files are the modified version of an original kext file that Apple is provided after each major update they will be replaced is the OS and you’ll lose the functionality of that particular component or more components.
      For example, Maxwell and Pascal GPUs have the “Boot to black screen” issue with some SMBIOS settings like iMac17,1, iMac15 and MacPro 6,1 system definitions. It means if you use one of those system definitions your computer will show a black screen after loading macOS® even after installing the nVidiaWebDrivers.
      So, you’ll need to either change the SMBIOS definition or you need to patch the “AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext” to avoid the black screen.
      Once you patch the file with whatever method, if you install macOS® update you’ll need to apply the patch all over again.
      Besides changing the system files in macOS® will mix up the file permission of the files and if it’s not properly installed or if you forget to fix the permission of the files you might render the whole operating system useless and you’ll need to either fix the permissions on the /System/Library/Extensions or for short /S/L/E or you might need to reinstall the whole operating system from scratch. 
      For each version of macOS®, there is a folder inside the following path:
      /EFI/Clover/kext/
      So, you can copy the kexts you need inside the folder that correlates with the version of macOS® you are using.
      Even if you update the OS, the files inside that path won’t get changed.
      How to properly adding kext file to /System/Library/Extensions:
      There are several ways to install additional kexts on macOS, but I will only discuss two methods that are the easiest ways to install kext without having to type any commands in terminal.

Using Kext Utility:
      By using kext utility you can easily install kext files inside /System/Library/Extension.
      All you have to do is to open the Kext Utility app, type in your password and drag the kext file you want to install into the app’s window and it will install them in to the path give above. The good thing about this app is that it will automatically repairs the permission of the /System/Library/Extension folder and the kext files inside it.
      Once the process is done you can reboot the system and see the results.

Kext Wizard:
      Kext wizard is another handy tool with more functions built into it, you can select the path for installing the kexts files even to another operating system on another volume.
      You can repair the permissions and rebuild system kext cache. You can even load kexts files and test them or list the kext that are already loaded in the system.

Post Installation:
      To have a fully functional Hackintosh you need to add the following kext files and DSDT/SSDT files and tables.
      Kexts:
      FakeSMC.kext https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-fakesmc-kozlek/downloads/
      Audio:
      AppleALC.kext
      https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC
      Lilu.kext
      https://github.com/vit9696
      CodecCommander.kext v2.4.0 for Audio after sleep
      https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-eapd-codec-commander/downloads/RehabMan-CodecCommander-2015-0522.zip

Note:
      Install CodecCommander.kext v. 2.4.0 inside /System/Library/Extensions/ and set darkwake=8 in config.plist to solve the audio after sleep issue.
      I tried installing it inside /EFI/Clover/kexts/10.12 and /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other and it didn’t work.
      I also tried other versions of CodecCommander.kext but none of them worked except for the v. 2.4.0.
      If you don’t want to use Lilu.kext and AppleALC.kext and see the read the “Other methods for activating audio section”.
      realtekALC.kext with https://github.com/toleda/audio_RealtekALC/blob/master/audio_realtekALC-120.command.zip
      audio_cloverHDMI-120_v1.0d.command for HDMI Audio: https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverHDMI/blob/master/audio_cloverHDMI-120.command.zip

Ethernet:
      AppleIntelE1000e.kext https://sourceforge.net/projects/osx86drivers/files/Kext/Snow_or_Above/AppleIntelE1000e.kext.zip/download
      or
      IntelMausiEthernet.kext https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-intel-network/downloads/RehabMan-IntelMausiEthernet-v2-2017-0321.zip

Graphics:
      IntelGraphicsFixup.kext https://sourceforge.net/projects/intelgraphicsfixup/ if you are using the Intel Integrated Graphics 
      Lilu.kext https://github.com/vit9696
      NVidaiGraphicsFixup.kext https://sourceforge.net/projects/nvidiagraphicsfixup/

USB 3.0
      USBInjectAll.kext
      https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-usb-inject-all/downloads/RehabMan-USBInjectAll-2017-0517.zip

Note:
      I also tested the system without USBInjectAll.kext and all my USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports were fully functional so it’s up to you whether to use it or not.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE:
      Before you start using macOS® Sierra®, you need to change the SMBIOS of the config.plist:
      You have to change the SMBIOS settings before starting to use macOS® Sierra®, because the config.plist that is included in this guide doesn’t have a serial number for your Hackintosh, so you won’t be able to use any of Apple’s services without a serial number and a hardware UUID. It’s imperative to do so specially if you are going to use your Hackintosh for daily use. If you don’t change the serial number you won’t be able to use App Store, iCloud, iMessage etc. It’s highly recommended that you use iMac 17,1 SMBIOS as your default. iMac 17,1 and iMac 17,2 models use Skylake processors in Apple's original iMacs.
      For changing the SMBIOS you can use the built-in wizard inside “Clover Configurator” under SMBIOS Section. To open the wizard, click the small magic wand on the right side of the window to use the wizard.

Audio:
      By using the EFI folder included with this guide and by using the patched DSDT/SSDT tables, “AppleALC.kext” and “Lilu.kext” you won’t need to do much to make the audio active on your Hackintosh.
      Just install the macOS® Sierra®, copy the EFI folder and audio is activated by default, HDMI audio will be active once you install nVidiaWebDrivers and restart the computer.
      If the audio didn’t work, you can rebuild prelinked kernel and kexts cache by using the following commands in terminal:
      1. sudo nvram -c 2. sudo purge 3. sudo rm -f /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache && sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u / sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -force Or you can use “Kext Utility” to repair permissions on /System/Library/Extensions and /Library/Extensions and also it will also rebuilds the system cache for you.
      Kext Utility could be found at:
      http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=186603

Note:
      If you see the following output in terminal it means that you forgot to mount the EFI partition, mount it and run the command again.
      EFI partition not mounted
      Boot/EFI not found
      EFI/CLOVER folder not available to install audio
      No system files were changed
      To save a Copy of this Terminal session: Terminal/Shell/Export Text As ...
      logout
      Saving session...
      ...copying shared history...
      ...saving history...truncating history files...
      ...completed.
      [Process completed]

Other methods for activating the Audio:
      1. audio_codecdetect.command
      This command will give you useful information about the audio chipsets and devices that are available on the system, after you run the command, the output will be like this:
      cdetect_v2.2.command ; exit;
      File: audio_codecdetect.command_v2.2
      HDMI audio codec(s)
      Nvidia:   0x10de0083
      Onboard audio codec
      Realtek: 0x10ec0900
      Name: Realtek ALC1150
      Audio ID: 1
      Valid audio codec, audio device and Audio ID; audio injection is working
      Finished
      logout
      Saving session...
      ...completed.
      [Process completed]

This means that the audio chipset is supported and you can go to the next step of installing the audio using Toleda's scripts.

2. audio_cloverALC-120_v1.0f3.command
      Type in the password and press return/enter
      Agreement
      The audio_cloverALC script is for personal use only. Do not distribute
      the patch, any or all of the files or the resulting patched AppleHDA.kext
      for any reason without permission. The audio_cloverALC script is
      provided as is and without any kind of warranty.
      File: audio_cloverALC-120.command_v1.0f3
      Release Mode
      Password:
      EFI partition is mounted
      System Integrity Protection status: disabled.
      OK to patch
      Confirm Realtek ALC1150 (y/n): y
      Clover Audio ID Injection (y/n): y
      Use Audio ID: 1 (y/n): y
      Download ALC1150 files ...
        % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                       Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
      100 23555  100 23555    0     0  12259      0  0:00:01  0:00:01 --:--:-- 12255
      Edit config.plist/Devices/Audio/Inject/1
      Edit config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts/YES
      Download kext patches
      100  1855  100  1855    0     0   3033      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--  3031
      Download config kext and install ...
      100  4223  100  4223    0     0   3383      0  0:00:01  0:00:01 --:--:--  3383
      Install /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.12/realtekALC.kext
      Install System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/ALC1150 zml files
      Fix permissions ...
      Kernel cache...
      rebuilding //System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel
      kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext CodecCommander.kext
      kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67013 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA3B for kext AppleMobileDevice.kext
      kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67054 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA12 for kext AppleHDA.kext
      kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67030 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA2A for kext AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext
      KernelCache ID: 4EEE3A25D6E9388FE8F02F8E56A57A1D
      kextcache updated critical boot files, requesting launchd reboot
      Install finished, restart required.
      logout
      Saving session...
      ...completed.
      [Process completed]
      All you need to do now is to reboot the system and you’ll have audio!

3. HDMI Audio
      For activating the HDMI Audio for you need to run audio_cloverHDMI-120.command
      This command will detect the audio codec for you integrated graphics and discrete GPU and will add the proper SSDT table to /EFI/Cover/ACPI/patched folder
      Agreement
      The audio_cloverHDMI script is for personal use only. Do not distribute
      the patch, any or all of the files for any reason without permission.
      The audio_cloverHDMI script is provided as is and without any warranty.
      File: audio_cloverHDMI-120.command_v1.0d
      Release Mode
      EFI partition is mounted
      No HDMI audio codec(s) detected, continue (y/n): y
      HDMI audio codec(s)
      Integrated Graphics is not installed/enabled
      Install AMD/Nvidia HDMI audio (y/n): y
      Nvidia discrete graphics card 10de1b81 found on PEG0@1/PEGP@0
      Nvidia HDMI audio is not enabled
      Install Nvidia HDMI audio ssdt (y/n): y
      Download SSDT-HDMI-NVIDIA-PEG0 ...
      Password:
      100 44888  100 44888    0     0  39094      0  0:00:01  0:00:01 --:--:-- 39101
      /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/SSDT-HDMI-NVIDIA-PEG0.aml installed
      Install finished, restart required.
      logout
      Saving session...
      ...completed.
      [Process completed]

Audio Troubleshooting:
      If after running the audio_cloverHDMI-120_v1.0d.command you see the following statement
      “Agreement
      The audio_cloverHDMI script is for personal use only. Do not distribute
      the patch, any or all of the files for any reason without permission.
      The audio_cloverHDMI script is provided as is and without any warranty.
      File: audio_cloverHDMI-120.command_v1.0d
      Release Mode
      EFI partition is mounted
      Error: no IOReg/HDEF; BIOS/audio/disabled or ACPI problem
      Continue without HDEF/onboard audio (y/n): y
      No audio codec detected
      No system files were changed

It means you either don’t have a patched DSDT.aml file or SSDT tables and no patches are present inside the config.plist so you need to either add the DSDT/SSDT tables or add patches yourself.
      Don’t be alarmed it’s so easy.
      Open clover configurator and after mounting the EFI partition, open the config.plist and add the following patch :
      Under ACPI, DSDT patches select “change HDAS to HDEF” from “List of Patches” and this will add the following code in the config.plist
      </dict>
      <key>Comment</key>
      <string>change HDAS to HDEF</string>
      <key>Disabled</key>
      <false/>
      <key>Find</key>
      <data>
      SERBUw==
      </data>
      <key>Replace</key>
      <data>
      SERFRg==
      </data>
      </dict>
      or
      Comment: change HDAS to HDEF
      Find*[HEX] 48444153
      Replace*[HEX]48444546

Graphics:
      This section will be dedicated to nVidia GPUs specially Maxwell and Pascal. If you are using any other nVidia or AMD graphics you can skip this section.
      We tested these instructions on an EVGA 1070 Superclocked GPU and a Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX960 GAMING-4GB (Please include the brand for reference).
      As you might know the 10 series nVidia GPUs or Pascal are not compatible with Mac OS X El Capitan and earlier versions of macOS® but 9 series and Maxwell are compatible and they both need nVidiaWebDrivers to be fully functional.
      For macOS® Sierra® 10.12.5 you’ll need to download 378.05.05.15f01
      https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/378/WebDriver-378.05.05.15f01.pkg
      Solution 1:
      If you are looking for an easy way to get the GPU working all you have to is to copy the Lilu.kext and nVidaiGraphicsFixup.kext inside the kext folder in clover EFI bootloader.
      The full path is /EFI/Clover/kext/10.12
      Once you finished installing macOS® and nVidiaWebDrivers you’ll need to add the following flags and setting to the config.plist
      Under “Boot” section add or remove nvda_drv=1 if necessary. I don’t need to use it on my computer. You don’t need to inject anything in “Graphics” section Under “System Parameters” check “NvidiaWeb”   When installing Clover EFI bootloader under “Drivers64UEFI” install “EMUVariableUefi-64” // I also use OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi, never tested without it.
      and that’s it!

Solution 2:
      If you don’t want to use nVidaiGraphicsFixup.kext you only have two options:
      1. Run AGDP-fix.app to edit the “AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext” to fix “Boot to Black Screen” issue 2. Or you can edit the “AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext” manually using terminal. If you choose the second solution for any reason remember after each major update you need to apply the patch all over again.

Wi-Fi:
      TP-Link WDN4800 works out of the box without any hassle.
      The only problem that you might encounter with it is "ATHR: unknown locale: 21" error in the verbose boot.
      The Atheros patch is to avoid the series of "ATHR: unknown locale: 21" messages in the verbose boot which they will be registered in message console's logs and they will make the log file bigger. The patch will fix the WiFi location and will stop the error and therefore there will be no more logs.
      Without the patch, the WiFi will work just the same but with lots of messages in the log.
      If you don’t use the TP-Link WDN4800 you can remove the patch or simply leave it as disabled.

USB 3.0:
      Under Kernel and Kext Patches add the following to “KextsToPatch”:
      This patch will raise the limit of the USB ports from 15 to 26.
      For macOS® Sierra
      Name*: AppleUSBXHCIPCI
      Find* [HEX] : 83bd74ff ffff10
      Replace [HEX] : 83bd74ff ffff1b
      Comment: Raise change 15 port limit to 26 in XHCI kext (100-series)
      MatchOS: 10.12.x
      You also might need to add RehabMan’s “USBInjectAll.kext” to the following path under “/EFI/Clover/kexts/10.12” for macOS® Sierra
      Note:
      If you are using a patched DSDT or SSDT tables you don’t need to use any DSDT patches in clover and the “USBInjectAll.kext” you will have full functional USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports. I didn’t test USB 3.1 ports because I have no USB 3.1 device to test it!
      The port limit patch must only be temporary, you will need to create your own custom SSDT-UIAC to only inject the ports you use.

Custom SSDT-UIAC:
      A quick rundown on how to create a custom SSDT-UIAC.
      Add the following patch to your config.plist if you don’t already have the patch.
      <dict>
      <key>Comment</key>
      <string>change 15 port limit to 26 in XHCI kext (100-series)</string>
      <key>MatchOS</key>
      <string>10.12.x</string>
      <key>Name</key>
      <string>com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCIPCI</string>
      <key>Find</key>
      <data>g710////EA==</data>
      <key>Replace</key>
      <data>g710////Gw==</data>
      </dict>

or

Name*: AppleUSBXHCIPCI
      Find* [HEX] : 83bd74ff ffff10
      Replace [HEX] : 83bd74ff ffff1b
      Comment: Raise change 15 port limit to 26 in XHCI kext (100-series)
      MatchOS: 10.12.x

The USBInjectAll.kext provided in this guide needs to be and stay installed.
      Download ioregistryexplorer Version 3.0.3 from http://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-Utilities/IORegistryExplorer.shtml
      or download IOJones which is an alternative to IORegistryExplorer at: https://sourceforge.net/projects/iojones/
      Download MaciASL from https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-maciasl-patchmatic/downloads/RehabMan-MaciASL-2017-0117.zip and extract, drag MaciASL.app into /Applications. (Credit RehabMan)
      Download OS-X-USB-Inject-All Master from: (Credit RehabMan)
      https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-USB-Inject-All/archive/master.zip
      and extract the zip file.
      Inside the OS-X-USB-Inject-All-master folder you will find SSDT-UIAC-ALL.dsl, copy it to your desktop.
      Open ioregistryexplorer and find your device id by typing XHC in the search field.
      Open SSDT-UIAC-ALL.dsl with MaciASL and find your appropriate device id section.
      Remove all other sections in the SSDT-UIAC-ALL.dsl that do not correspond with your device id leaving just the one section. Skylake does not have a EHCI controller so “HUB1”, ”HUB2”, ”EH01”, "EH02" can be removed and in my case I can also remove "8086_1e31", "8086_8xxx", "8086_9xxx", "8086_9cb1", "8086_9d2f" and "8086_a2af".
      Compile the file to make sure there are no errors in the code and then save the file with “ACPI Machine Language Binary”. 
      Now we turn our attention to ioregistryexplorer, while you have ioregistry open go to the XHC section and take note of the HSxx or SSxx locations that have devices attached. Now plug in a USB 2.0 device into all USB 2.0 you NEED and do the same with USB 3.0 ports with USB 2 and 3 devices and take note of them all.
      Returning back to the SSDT-UIAC-ALL.dsl you will see all ports listed, you need to remove the ones you did not take note of and you can also add a comment to the ones you keep. 
      UsbConnector values = USB 2.0 = 0, USB 3.0 = 3. Internal = 255
      USB 2.0 devices plugged into USB 3.0 ports HSxx are still marked as USB 3.0 = 3.
      Internal devices such as Bluetooth etc are marked as 255
      Once you gone through and done this to all the devices you need and removed the ones you don’t you can save your SSDT-UIAC-ALL.dsl in MaciASL. Make sure you rename it to SSDT-UIAC and that the file format is ACPI Machine Language Binary
      Copy and paste the resulting SSDT-UIAC.aml into your EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.
      Disable the port limit patch in config.plist and add SSDT-UIAC.aml into SortedOrder if needed.
      Reboot.

Open ioregistryexplorer and test the ports you left enabled USB 2 & 3.
      The number of ports you should see in ioreg should be significantly reduced as they are not being injected anymore.

Special Thanks to:
      I would like to thank MaLd0n for providing the patched version of DSDT and SSDT tables and SavageAUS for doing such a great work on helping me to write this tutorial and testing the files and also writing the “Custom SSDT-UIAC” section.
      I also would like to thank:
      Vit9696 for Lilu.kext
      RehabMan for CodecCommander.kext FakeSMC.kext, IntelMausiEthernet.kext, USBInjectAll.kext.
      Toleda for AppleALC.kext, Audio commands and kexts
      netkas for FakeSMC.kext
      lvs1974 for IntelGraphicsFixup.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext
      hnak for AppleIntelE1000e.kext
      Mieze for IntelMausiEthernet.kext
      apianti, blackosx, blusseau, dmazar, slice2009 for Clover EFI Bootloader
      http://mackie100projects.altervista.org for Clover Configurator
      Apple Inc. for macOS® and great many other products.
      And many other great people whom make Hackintosh possible!

The hardware I use in my computer:
      Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5
      Intel Skylake Core i7 6700K @ 4.0 GHz
      32 GB (4x8 GB) 2666 GSKILL Ripjaws
      EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8 GB
      Dual Display 23.5"
      Kingston HyperX 240GB SATA III SSD
      250 GB Samsun EVO 850 SSD 
      TP-Link WDN4800 PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
      CoolerMaster Silencio 452 Case
      CoolerMaster Nepton 120XL Liquid Cooler
      CoolerMaster V750 Watts Power Supply
      2x24" Samsung LED Displays + 32" TV

SavageAUS's hardware that was used for testing:
      Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5
      Intel Skylake core i7-6700k @ 4Ghz
      32Gb (4 x 8Gb) DDR4 3200 G.Skill Ripjaws
      Gigabyte GTX960 GV-N960WF2OC-4GD
      240Gb Intel SSD
      240Gb Kingston HyperX Savage SSD
      TP-Link WDN4800 WiFi
      Corsair H110i AIO Liquid Cooler
      Corsair RM850i PSU
      Corsair 760t Case
      24" single display Benq GL2450

Please download the PDF version which includes pictures on this guide.
      I hope you find this tutorial helpful.
      Best Regards,
      Cyberdevs
      GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 Release 01 DSDT and SSDT nVidia Version.zip
      GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 Release 01 DSDT and SSDT IntelHD 530 Version.zip
      Installing macOS Sierra on GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 - Final.pdf
      IORegistryExplorer_3.0.3.zip

Updated Clover folders can be found at this post:
      Updated Folders
    • By ITzTravelInTime
      Hi guys, this thread is to show you a new and open source app, created by me, that I called TINU:

The name means: TINU Is Not #####, the U refers to a popular software that is used to create Mac OS hackintosh installers (that for good reasons is banned on this forum), but the aim of the name is to explain that this app is a totally different thing from that software and works in a totally different way.

This app basically is a graphical interface for the createinstallmedia executable that is inside the Mac OS installer apps, it is capable to create a Mac OS installer on a drive completely vanilla like what you do using the command line method, and also this method is recommended by apple itself.

Allows you to create easily a macOS install media without messing around with command line stuff and without using disk utility, all you need to do is use the app and then install clover on the usb drive once TINU has finished or leave it as is you want to use it on a Mac.

Features:
        - Simple to use UI that allows you to easily start the macOS install media creation process   - It can work with every Mac OS installer app that has the createinstallmedia executable inside of it's resources folder (including also beta and newly released installers)   - You can use any drive or partition you want that can be erased and is at least 7 GB of size   - Works on Mac OS recovery, so you can create a macOS install media from a bootable macOS installer or from the macOs recovery   - All vanilla, the macOS install medias created with this tool are 100% vanilla, just like you created them using the command line "createinstallmedia" method   - Open source, you will know what this program does on your computer and also you can create your own version by downloading and playing with the source code   - Does not requires to do anything of special first, just open the program   - No need to go in disk utility first, TINU can format your drive for you   - Uses recent and more modern APIs and SDKs and Swift 3 language   - Transparent graphics style available (use alt + s on the keyboard or View->Use transparent style)   - Works using the latest versions of macOS and will also support newer Mac installers out of the box without needing for an update    Features that I'd like to add in the future:    - Advanced section, to customize your macOS install media   - Installer customization: Kernelcache/prelinkedknerel and boot files replacement (a feature that can be handy while dealing with old Macs or with beta installers when you need to mod or change the boot files some times)   - Install clover and configure clover   - Install kexts inside the kexts folder of clover   - Clover drivers customization   - Use custom dsdt in clover   - integrated pre-made clover config templates database from a remote and open repository   - Support for other languages, at least Italian   Rquirements:  - A computer that runs Mac OS X Yosemite or a more recent version (Mac OS X El Capitan is required to use TINU in a macOS recovery or installer)  - A drive or a free partition of at least 7 GB that you want to turn into a macOS/Mac OS X installer  - A copy of a macOS/Mac OS X installer app (Maveriks or newer versions are supported) in the /Applications folder or in the root of any storage drive in your machine (excepted the drive or volume you want to turn into your macOS install media)   Note that this app is under the GNU GPL v3 license so any reuse of the source code must follow the license's terms   TINU 1.1 Stable release:    - Download available here:    https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU/releases    - Source code:     https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU   TINU 2.0 pre-release:    - Source code:    https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU/tree/development    - Download available here:    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/nvzss51qcieynve/TINU.zip     Frequently asked questions about TINU: https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU/wiki/FAQs     NOTE: if you have problems with your USB installer of 10.13.4 or newer version not being detected by clover you have to use the latest clover and if it still does not detectets your usb installer you have to remove the invivible file called .IAPhysicalMedia located into the root of the usb installer. This issue is caused by a changement in the apple's createinstallmedia, don't blame TINU for that, tinu does only uses the installer creation method from apple, which has been changed, causing this problem for hackintosh users, this issue should be resolved in the latest versions of clover which will no longer require that you do changements to let your usb dive to be detected, a setting to do this fix automatically in tinu is also comeing in a new pre-release of TINU 2 I leave also some screenshots as well

• By frankiee
      Hi there, time for my first guide after asking so many things

Updated for newer Clover versions and with additional instructions for more apps: gdisk and RU.

So what may be overlooked sometimes in the whole boot loader discussion is the ability of UEFI to do more than just loading an OS. This is why I see ".efi" files as "apps" because in fact they just are, built on a special kind of API: UEFI. So, you can actually do stuff like editing, diagnosing, testing certain stuff at the lowest possible system level without booting to any OS.

DISCLAIMER: Use this guide at your own risk! For educational purposes only! Should do not any harm, but remember you are dealing with rather low level stuff. But at least for me everything went flawless.

Prerequisites:
      Working clover installation Clover Configurator or some app to edit the config.plist  
      1) Memtest

This is how to install the UEFI version of Memtest with Clover:
      Download memtest, I used this link: Image for creating boot-able USB Drive Open the archive by double clicking on it. Mount the file memtest86-usb.img within by double clicking again. Now, you should see a folder named EFI in this volume, containing a folder BOOT. Open it. The files containing it are the actual app, in 32 and 64 bit versions. Think in almost all cases we want to use the 64 bit version. Now, mount your EFI partition, using Clover configurator. Create a folder named MemTest86 in the EFI folder on your main drive. Copy all files in the EFI/BOOT folder from the mounted image to your newly created folder. That ends the basic setup! Now, we add the correct Menu entry to the clover boot menu, so that we can actually start this app.

Get into clover configurator, open your standard config.plist from your boot drive and go to the GUI section. Under "Custom Entries", add an entry like this:

Please note while the path you enter is not case sensitive, you must make sure you use the backslash "\" for entering paths, and not a slash. So basically what we do is tell clover where it can find the app, give it a name, and tell clover it is a "Windows" app. Note: with older Clover versions we had to set this to "Linux", but for now "Windows" is the setting that works.

If you prefer to do a manual config, add this entry to your config.plist, under GUI/Custom/Entries:
      <dict> <key>CustomLogo</key> <true/> <key>Disabled</key> <false/> <key>FullTitle</key> <string>MemTest86</string> <key>Hidden</key> <false/> <key>Ignore</key> <false/> <key>Image</key> <string>\EFI\CLOVER\themes\Icons\os_mint.png</string> <key>Path</key> <string>\EFI\MemTest86\BOOTX64.efi</string> <key>Type</key> <string>Windows</string> <key>VolumeType</key> <string>Internal</string> </dict> Now, save and reboot and you should see the newly created entry. Note that I also used a custom Icon - this is optional - in case you don't you will just see a generic windows icon instead:

And this is how it looks like:

PS: also noticeably faster and you get also more features with this version than with the older version, for example it does now write a log file. For more Information, see: http://www.passmark.com/forum/showthread.php?4315-Memtest86-Version-5-Beta-%28Pure-UEFI%29

2) gdisk

Another app you can use is the UEFI version of gdisk (aka GPT fdisk), which you can use to edit and change your partitions.

Warning! Install and use this app at your own risk! If you do something wrong here you might nuke your drive(s), so only use that if you know what you are doing.

This is how to do it (even easier):
      Download here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/gptfdisk/files/gptfdisk/1.0.1/gdisk-binaries/gdisk-efi-1.0.1.zip/download Mount your EFI partition Unzip the file and copy the resulting folder to your EFI Folder, so your path goes like this "/Volumes/EFI/EFI/gdisk-efi" Get into clover configurator, open your standard config.plist from your boot drive and go to the GUI section. Add an entry like this:  
      If you prefer to do a manual config, add this entry to your config.plist, under GUI/Custom/Entries:
      <dict> <key>CustomLogo</key> <false/> <key>Disabled</key> <false/> <key>FullTitle</key> <string>GDisk</string> <key>Hidden</key> <false/> <key>Ignore</key> <false/> <key>Image</key> <string></string> <key>Path</key> <string>\EFI\gdisk-efi\gdisk_x64.efi</string> <key>Type</key> <string>Windows</string> <key>VolumeType</key> <string>Internal</string> </dict> When everything went OK you should see this after selecting the respective entry in Clover:

3) RU

I recently found one more app that might be interesting to some, and thats "Read Universal" or in short "RU". This is a tool that enables you to debug your BIOS and read (and modify!) every imaginable data, including UEFI variables, ACPI Tables etc.

Warning, again! I think blindly messing around with this app is even more dangerous, but on the other hand it gives you access to a lot of potentially interesting stuff.
      Download here: http://ruexe.blogspot.de/ The next steps are basically the same as above so make a folder in your EFI partition, copy the .EFI files and make another custom entry in your config.plist Here are some screens:

So this is what you also can do with UEFI and clover. I am curious which other useful applications might exist!

Anybody who knows, maybe post it here?
    • By TimNeumann
      MB: Asus X99 A-II
      RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3200C16D-32GVK (3200MHz, 4x 16GB DIMMs, so Total 64GB) in quad-channel configuration.
      CPU: i7 6800k @4.0Ghz
      GPUs: GTX 1080 Ti and GTX 1060 3GB
      (each one a monitor, because I can't get DVI to run parallel with DP on the 1080Ti, and my second monitor only has DVI/VGA)
      OS: High Sierra 10.13.2 (17C88) / Clover revision: 4392

Hello everybody,
      I occasionally have system crashes and suspect that it is related to RAM. However, this RAM is completely new, and a run with MemTest86+ from the USB stick showed no errors. However, if I use Memtest on MacOS, I get a bunch of error messages, but sometimes none (I restart the computer between tests).  
      As I just discovered, my RAM is not on the recommended vendor list of my motherboard, nor is it on the manufacturer side of the RAM. I have read several times that the RAM may not have been tested by the manufacturer on this platform. Not a single X99 motherboard is listed for this RAM.
      So I also suspect that my RAM is not compatible.
      But if that were the case, how could it sometimes work completely error-free?

During RAM tests in summer 2017 (a slightly different setup, 4x8GB but still G.Skill Ripjaws V) I had no errors at Memtest under MacOS, if I remember correctly. At that time it ran under Sierra 10.12.6. AptioMemoryFix.efi could also cause problems.
      I am appreciative for any help!

Here is an excerpt from a faulty test.
      It is noticeable that it is always the same address during the test, but a different one after each test.
      Memtest version 4.22 (64-bit) Copyright (C) 2004 Charles Cazabon Copyright (C) 2004-2008 Tony Scaminaci (Macintosh port) Licensed under the GNU General Public License version 2 only Mac OS X 10.13.2 (17C88) running in multiuser mode Memory Page Size: 4096 System has 12 Intel core(s) with SSE Requested memory: 57232MB (60012990464 bytes) Available memory: 57232MB (60012990464 bytes) Allocated memory: 57232MB (60012990464 bytes) at local address 0x00000001033e1000 Attempting memory lock... locked successfully Partitioning memory into 2 comparison buffers... Buffer A: 28616MB (30006495232 bytes) starts at local address 0x00000001033e1000 Buffer B: 28616MB (30006495232 bytes) starts at local address 0x00000007ffc4d800 Running 1 test sequence... (CTRL-C to quit) Test sequence 1 of 1: Running tests on full 57232MB region... Stuck Address : ok Linear PRN : testing 7 of 16 FAILURE! Data mismatch at local address 0x0000000e88133d30 Expected Data: 0xc4c340079ac9a645, Actual Data: 0xc4c3400788468846 Running comparison tests using 28616MB buffers... Random Value : ok Compare XOR : ok Compare SUB : ok Compare MUL : ok Compare DIV : ok Compare OR : ok Compare AND : ok Sequential Increment: ok Solid Bits : ok Block Sequential : testing 80 of 256 FAILURE! Data mismatch at local BUFA address 0x000000078b8c7530, BUFB address 0x0000000e88133d30 BUFA Data: 0x4f4f4f4f4f4f4f4f, BUFB Data: 0x4f4f4f4f88468846 Checkerboard : testing 3 of 64 FAILURE! Data mismatch at local BUFA address 0x000000078b8c7530, BUFB address 0x0000000e88133d30 BUFA Data: 0x5555555555555555, BUFB Data: 0x5555555588468846 Bit Spread : testing 1 of 128 FAILURE! Data mismatch at local BUFA address 0x000000078b8c7530, BUFB address 0x0000000e88133d30 BUFA Data: 0x0000000000000005, BUFB Data: 0x0000000088468846 Bit Flip : testing 74 of 512 FAILURE! Data mismatch at local BUFA address 0x000000078b8c7530, BUFB address 0x0000000e88133d30 BUFA Data: 0x0000000000000200, BUFB Data: 0x0000000088468846 Walking Ones : testing 40 of 128 Clover Files attached
      config.plist
      drivers64UEFI.zip
      kexts.zip
      ACPI.zip
    • By BurpSuite
      screenshot:

description:
      github: https://github.com/burpsuite/clover_theme