SATA hard drive causes black screen before BIOS settings

wormyrocks

1 post in this topic

Hi all -

I abandoned my El Capitan install and decided to roll back to Yosemite, so I restored my OS SSD from a backup without a hitch and it can now boot fine.

However, when I try to boot with my user data HDD (which contains only my home folder) plugged in, for some reason as soon as the BIOS splash screen passes, the screen goes black and it won't let me do anything at all. I've tried fiddling around with the BIOS settings to see if it's trying to boot from the data drive or something like that, since I know that at some point a recovery partition got installed on the hard drive, but to no avail. I've made sure that the boot order prioritizes the operating system on the SSD as well. No other SATA devices are plugged in except for the optical drive. I've tried the hard drive in a USB SATA interface with a different computer and I can view all my files, so it isn't corrupted or anything.

Any help would be much appreciated; since I'm restoring to an earlier install I suspect that as soon as I figure out what is causing this I will be up and running again.

Specs:

i5-3570K

GTX 560

GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP

128G SSD/1TB HDD

Thanks in advance!