USB 3.0 not working on GA-x79S-UD5-WIFI on hackintosh 10.9.5

13 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

i am having issues getting any usb 3.0 device to recognize on my motherboard.

here are the specs:

ga-x79s-ud5-wfii 1.1 ,bios f4 32gb of ram gtx 480 (fermi) 1 x 2tb 7200rpm hdd

I followed two separate guides on two different installs : the first was a legacy method using the tonymacx86 for creating a usb installer for mavericks. i followed a few guides from the forums, all of of which had very similar steps. in short, everything worked except the usb 3 and i got a boot0 error initially, which i fixed.

my second method was to then use clover to install mavericks as outlined on the rampagedev site and his x79 dmg read-me. everything went well on this one as well, i even got the picky gtx 480 to work. however, usb 3.0 still does not work.

on my motherboard and setup, what could i do to get usb 3 working at a good speed, in either my clover-uefi mavericks install or the legacy-chimera mavericks install?

insanelymac vip, thanks for the prompt response

i was unaware that tonymac's route had gone like that, rather i thought these two sites were seperate schools with the same philosophy.

so , by my understanding, these kexts (FakePCIID.kextFakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext) will be used in the clover method.

it seems i will need to edit fakepciid.kext and create my own  FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext, is that correct? and does this apply to any troublesome usb 3.0 or my ga-x79s-ud5 in particular.

Just install these kexts in S/L/E or Clover's folders, and add this in your config.plist:

key>USB</key>
<dict>
<key>AddClockID</key>
<true/>
<key>FixOwnership</key>
<true/>
<key>Inject</key>
<true/>
</dict>

Only do that.

for clover, it would be efi > clover > kexts > 10.9 , correct? or just ust kext beast?

i am new to the clover bootloader so i am not sure how to add the binary patch appleusbxhci

just to confirm

for the patched appleusbxhci, i either replace that kext within iousbfamily.kext, or use the clover kextstopatch method, which im not sure how to do.

or i can use FakePCIID.kextFakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext, just as they are without any other modifcations

is this right? can i try both and see what works

Easiest solution for now is to replace AppleUSBXHCI. Make a backup of the original kext if you want to do the kextpatch later via Clover. It's in /S/L/E/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns. Ideally this is where you should put the patched kext but /S/L/E will also work. Just delete the original copy from IOUSBFamily first if you do this.

The tidiest solution is to leave the kext alone and use Clover to patch it. If you want to see how to do the clover patch, have a look here.

The FakePCIID stuff is only for Intel USB3 which your board doesn't appear to have.

update - after modifying the iousbfamily kext, reinstalling it with kext wizard, the repairing disk permission, rebuild kernel cache and rebooting....i still do not have usb 3.0 :(

questions: should i now try the clover method? and does it matter that on my board, both ehci hand-off and xhci hand-off are enabled?

I don't think hand-off should matter. Restore the original AppleUSBXHCI and try the clover patches. The post I linked to with the patches might need some patches changed to work with 10.9.5.

I haven't used either method as I'm lucky enough to have the only chipset these patches don't fix on both of my boards. However these patches claim to fix VL800 and FL1009.

If it doesn't work in Mavericks, it won't work in Yosemite either. I don't know why it's not working for you. With RampageDev's method you would have used GenericUSBXHCI whch worked for me with my ASM1042 in Mavericks. So at the very least that should have gotten you working USB3.

update : the patched kext (appleusbxhci) did end up working for me in Yosemite. however, bus powered usb 3.0 devices, such as my adapter for connecting 2.5 hard drives, does not work on usb 3.0. it sees the device in system profiler but does not mount.

powered usb drives with wall plugs do work. is there any way to fix usb 3.0 so bus powered devices mount? or should I just take what I can get.

I have to say, everything is (mostly) working. even the picky gtx 480. also, my 450mbps wireless card works too, OOB!