117 posts in this topic

Thanks @Rominator for sharing and JimJ740 for your effords!

It felt like a pain to get into the osx infrastructure of IODevices, IOBlockstorageDevices etc. Apple Docs just helped to a certain degree for IOKit..

does your OS X also recognize disk as a external drive ?

I think thats basically an Apple Issue.

Apple is not using the proper identifiers for pci devices for starters.. (mass storage instead of nvme) for their internal ssds. As far as I understand JimJ740 had to work around some of the predefined object inheritances of the apple IOKit infrastructure to make it work.

maybe he likes to correct me if im wrong. :)

Cheers

Advertisement

the funny part is my PCI-E Intel 750 drive is not listed PCI devices in System information :-), but it is working correctly and disk utility recognize it.

Thats interesting - you mentioned it got recognized as external? According to system report where is your one listed?

Im in the office right now - have to check later what my 950 pro says. It got recognized thats what I tried this morning... :)

Thats interesting - you mentioned it got recognized as external? According to system report where is your one listed?

I can not find it in system report :-), but as I wrote before, DU recognize it.

hehe thats funny - if you like you can upload an ioreg explorer dump. or just look at it yourself you should see the device tree and how its mapped - if its of any interest for you.. :-)

hehe thats funny - if you like you can upload an ioreg explorer dump. or just look at it yourself you should see the device tree and how its mapped - if its of any interest for you.. :-)

take a look here

looks like its listed under PCI-PEG0-IOPP->PEGP.

using an own type of com_MinnowStor_NVMeDisk which is going directly over to the IOBlockStorageDriver from JimJ.

Im going to compare with my ioreg when i get home - curious. :-)

But its definitly tagged as build-in device <00> according to your regdump. So for the fact that its recognized as external - i think thats up to the driver then to handle that properly.

This looks amazing! ;)

I can see in the FAQ that you cannot boot from the NVMe drive? So.. how do you actually use it? :)

you can not use it to boot on real Mac, but there is no problem on hackintosh :)

here you have some quick test of my intel 750 PCI-E 400GB drive

i750.png

Just downloaded and tested the brilliant new driver for NVME m.2 x 4 PCIe from MacVidCards.com Checkit it out!

http://www.macvidcards.com/nvme-driver1.html

Here's their FAQ

FAQ:

Q: Is this a signed driver?
A: Yes. 

Q: What version of OS X does this driver support? 
A: 10.11

Q: Where should I install this driver?
A: /Library/Extensions – Note that the owner and group for the entire kext MUST be set to root:wheel 

Q: How do I set owner and group?
A: sudo chown –R 0:0 NVMeGeneric.kext

Q: What devices have you tested this with? 
A: Intel P3700 series, Samsung SM1715 and SM951 series

Q: Can I boot from an NVMe drive?
A: No, not until someone writes a standards compliant EFI driver for the Macintosh.

Q: Doesn’t Apple supply NVMe drivers and EFI boot ROMs for their new machines? 
A: Apple chose to make their NVMe devices and drivers non-compliant with the NVMe standard. Why they use the NVMe name for a non-compliant device and driver is a mystery.

Q: Can I use this to support an NVMe device in an external ThunderBolt enclosure like the Akitio?
A: Yes.

Q: Does this driver support hot-plug for ThunderBolt configurations?
A: yes, however it does not support hot “un-plug”. If you unplug a ThunderBolt connected NVMe device crashes may occur. Caveat Emptor!

Q: Will NVMe devices speed up my system? 
A: Maybe. It depends on your configuration and usage.

Q: What affects performance?
A: Device characteristics, hardware configuration, operating system design, and driver architecture. In particular OS X does not support MSI-X and forces CPU0 to handle all interrupts – although the workloop can distribute some of the load. Also, OS X caches heavily and does not provide a true DIRECT_IO equivalent; the combination of these factors makes many OS X benchmarks very bad at characterizing device performance – particularly so with small I/O and very fast devices.

Q: Is this safe to use?
A: Define safe… NVMe devices are just PCIe cards, and are fully electrically compatible with any system with PCIe slots. Could there be bugs in the software that cause data loss or crashes? Absolutely – but I have not encountered them.

Q: Why does my system report still say: “This computer doesn't contain any NVMExpress devices”?
A: Because system report uses Apple’s non-compliant NVMe kext infrastructure. Look under the PCI devices and you will see your NVMe device and it will indicate that the driver has been installed.

Q: What is nvme-cli?
A: This is a command line utility to issue NVMe management commands – if you don’t know what that means you can safely ignore this utility. This utility lets you define multiple namespaces on your NVMe device, as well as letting you query log pages and SMART data.

Q: Who/what is MinnowStor? What do they make and why did they create this?
A: MinnowStor is a startup that has not come out of “Stealth mode”.

Q: Will an NVMe device cause my Classic Mac Pro to overheat our wear out sooner?
A: I will break my own rule about answering only coherent, intelligent questions. It is amazing that “armchair engineers” think the cMP has poor thermal engineering – it is an extremely well designed unit. There is the assertion that the cooling is poor due to high idle temperatures on the northbridge – this is totally by design! Apple likes quiet machines… so they keep the fans low and allow chips to reach temperatures that, while safe, are markedly higher than cheap PC designs [note: this trend continues with the new iMacs and MacPros]. If this bothers you use SMC and kick the fans up a notch – with the fan speed increased my northbridge idles at 47C – much lower than the so-called “well engineered PCs”. You can overheat your northbridge – if you have broken heatsink clips, failed thermal paste, or have a huge build up of dust inside your machine.

Q: What about all the conflicting information and opinions on the internet?
A: Consider the source. There are no editors or fact checkers on the internet.

I've got almost everything working.  Trying to boot from it with clover and I can't seem to get it to work.

I'm going to be the dummy to ask how did everyone else get it to boot so far?

Just cloned El Capitan from my Samsung SM951 256GB to the new SAMSUNG SM950PRO NVME 256GB drive... and guess what? It runs perfectly. Nice job and a big Thank You for the NVME.kext.

I also can't boot from it. "Still waiting for root device".

interesting me too.

i tried to copy the kext to clover without success and also cloned my OS from a Samsung 850 Pro.

It seems Monk is still doing something differently than we do.

I also realized its super slow in the boot process while loading via the the 950 Pro Partition in clover - even if i use clover starting from the 850 Pro.

edit:

btw. its even slow inside of osx for me.. see screenshot.. my 850 pro runs faster than my 950 pro. (on linux i got about 1900 mb/s read)

tested with xbench as well:

post-1615419-0-51878100-1450214594_thumb.png

post-1615419-0-52365300-1450215117_thumb.png

Got mine working as a scratch disk for DaVinci Resolve however, I did disk part in Windows before the kext came out, when the kext was released/installed I could easily use Disk Utility to format it, and its already marked active. So I guess its bootable if using Win utils Drive Management without having to clone.

Mine shows up as internal....

As a purely technical discussion (since the driver was created solely for Apple Macintosh computers), the driver is operating as intended. It registers itself as an internal/external device since it may be attached via ThunderBolt or in an internal slot of a classic Mac Pro. On an actual Apple computer it will show up as an internal device, even if it is in an external ThunderBolt enclosure. My guess, since I do not own nor test on non-Apple computers running OS X, is that inconsistencies in the motherboard firmware/BIOS lead to the situation of some people seeing external icons as well as no presence in the pci device list of system report.

Got mine working as a scratch disk for DaVinci Resolve however, I did disk part in Windows before the kext came out, when the kext was released/installed I could easily use Disk Utility to format it, and its already marked active. So I guess its bootable if using Win utils Drive Management without having to clone.

type "man bless" from a terminal prompt.

interesting me too.

i tried to copy the kext to clover without success and also cloned my OS from a Samsung 850 Pro.

It seems Monk is still doing something differently than we do.

I also realized its super slow in the boot process while loading via the the 950 Pro Partition in clover - even if i use clover starting from the 850 Pro.

edit:

btw. its even slow inside of osx for me.. see screenshot.. my 850 pro runs faster than my 950 pro. (on linux i got about 1900 mb/s read)

tested with xbench as well:

I've seen very suspicious results with BlackMagic depending on CPU speed and memory configuration (e.g. speed and amount). Would be interested in knowing your platform specifications. AJA does not exhibit the same behavior, nor does FIO (which although text based and complex is a far better tool for characterizing I/O). It appears that under certain situations an interaction between BlackMagic and OS X caching results in starving the device (e.g. queue depth alternates between 0 and 1). This behavior was mentioned in the FAQ, though it did not call out BlackMagic by name.

P.S. I do not frequent this forum... just watching as the installed base widens. Long term Q&A will likely only happen on MacRumors as per the documentation.

Edited by jimj

Hey all,

quick update:

Thanks again @ jimj first for your effords and following this thread from time to time.

I was able to get my 950Pro to boot, I reinstalled osx and have the genericnvme.kext now in clover kext other  -> but not in SLE. (maybe thats a problem for some of you?)

It also shows up early in the boot process so if you can't get it booting I presume its more an mobo / bios issue.

I also directly updated to 10.11.2 and everything runs fine.

I also run AJA to have a better comparsion as jimj mentioned blackmagic speed test does not seem to reflect proper speeds..

So all in all running smooth right know.

post-1615419-0-09277800-1450266636_thumb.png

i actually had problems to get my bios/uefi to boot/recognize clover when placed on the nvme drive.. i guess thats a bios problem, so i placed clover on another drive. not optimal but good until gigabyte releases a proper update..

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By fusion71au
      Run Vanilla OS X El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra or Mojave in VMware Workstation on a Windows Host

I wanted to make a simple guide on how to create a vanilla OS X El Capitan virtual machine running on a Windows host.  The virtual machine should be useful for testing El Capitan and also for creating installers for use on a real machine/hackintosh.

There are many guides and videos on the net about running OS X on Windows machines using pre-made VMWare disk images but you can never guarantee what else is in there….

I’ve gathered info for this guide from various threads in the Multibooting and Virtualisation section of this forum eg

Workstation 11/12, Player 7/12, Fusion 7/8 and ESXi 6 Mac OS X Unlocker 2 by @Donk How to Install OS X 10.x from Snow Leopard to El Capitan in VMware Workstation 10/12, Player 6/8 or ESXi 5/6 by @MSOK HOW TO: Create a bootable El Capitan ISO for VMware Credit and thanks to @Donk, @Albert Nietsnie and @MSOK for all their hard work in creating and testing the VMware Unlocker program.

Requirements
      Intel PC with four or more CPU cores running Windows 7 X64 or later OS (2 or more cores needed for OS X) 4GB or more RAM (2GB or more will be needed for OS X) Hard Disk with at least 40GB free for Virtual Machine VMware Workstation 12 or later VMware Unlocker 2.0.7 or later Install OS X El Capitan app and Mac or Hack to prepare installation iso <-- Now, no longer necessary to have previous access to a Mac or Hack by building the Installer.app from scratch - see post#41 16GB or larger exFAT formatted USB stick to transfer El Capitan iso from Mac/Hack to Host PC Prepare Installation ISO on your Mac or Hack
      1.  On your Mac or Hack, download "Install OS X El Capitan.app" from the App Store into your Applications folder.
      2.  Unmount any attached install image/InstallESD.dmg (if currently mounted) by rebooting the system or running the hdiutil unmount command in terminal eg

3.  Download and unzip the CECI.tool (attached to this post) into your ~/Downloads folder. The commands in this executable script are shown below for informational purposes….

4.  Open OS X terminal, then run the following commands to execute the script:
      cd downloads chmod +x CECI.tool ./CECI.tool 5.  At the end of the process, you will have an El Capitan iso on your desktop - copy this onto an exFAT formatted USB for use on the PC Host later.

Updates:
      @shela has created an ISO generating script compatible with OS X 10.6-10.12: create_osx_iso post #362.
      See post#30 for macOS_iso_cim.tool script to create ISO for macOS 10.13+ using Apple's createinstallmedia utility.

Install and Patch VMware Workstation 12 on your PC
      1.  Download and install VMWare Workstation Player 12 or later
      2.  Download and extract Unlocker 2.0.7 or later to your USB stick…
      3.  Run the win-install.cmd as administrator by right clicking the file in Windows explorer or run it from an Administrative Command Prompt.

Create an El Capitan Virtual Machine
      1.  Double click on the VMware Workstation 12 Player icon on your desktop and click “Create a New Virtual Machine”.  Choose “I will install the operating system later” at the How will you install screen….

2.  Select Apple Mac OS X as the Guest operating system and OS X 10.11 as the version.  By default, an OS X 10.11 folder will be created in your Documents\Virtual Machines folder.

3.  Under Specify Disk Capacity, you can leave the default 40GB or set a larger value.  I personally store the virtual disk as a single file.  Click Finish and you will see OS X 10.11 on the Main Screen of Workstation 12.

4.  Next, we need to edit the virtual machine settings to map the virtual SATA CD/DVD drive to the El Capitan installation iso we created earlier.

5.  To prevent the virtual machine from crashing in Windows, the virtualHW.version set in the vmx configuration file needs to be changed from 12 to 10 (alternatively, the line smc.version = "0" can be added to the file).  The OS X 10.11.vmx file can be edited with the WordPad program (navigate to the OS X 10.11 virtual machine folder with Windows Explorer and right click on the file to open in WordPad).

6.  For HW10, set USB compatibility to USB 2.0, otherwise your mouse and keyboard might not work in the virtual machine.

7.  Finally click “Play virtual machine”

Installation of El Capitan
      Installation should be relatively straight forward, just following the prompts of the OS X installer:
      1.  Select language, agree to legal terms

2.  Use Disk Utility from the Utilities Menu to erase and format the virtual hard drive as a single partition GUID Mac OS X Extended.  I’ve named the drive Macintosh HD but you can enter whatever you like eg El_Capitan.

3.  Quit DU and choose Macintosh HD to install El Capitan on.

4.  After 20-30 min (depending on how fast your system is), the installation will complete and the VM will automatically reboot…

5.  At the welcome screen, choose your country and keyboard layout.  You can skip transfer information, location services and logging in with your Apple ID if you wish…

6.  Create a User Account and select your Time Zone.  You can skip sending diagnostics and usage data to Apple….

7.  Finally, you will arrive at the El Capitan Desktop.  You should eject the Installation iso now by right clicking and selecting “Eject OS X Base System”.  This will allow you to install VMware Tools….

8.  After rebooting, the VM can now be resized or run at full screen resolution.  Audio and network/internet should also work OOB.

SMBIOS Customization and iMessage Vars
      To make the Virtual Machine more "Mac like", you can edit the vmx file to add unique identifiers from a real Mac's SMBIOS -
      eg for an iMac 11,3 SMBIOS, you can enter the following lines....
      smbios.reflectHost = "FALSE" board-id.reflectHost = "FALSE" board-id = "Mac-F2238BAE" hw.model.reflectHost = "FALSE" hw.model = "iMac11,3" serialNumber.reflectHost = "FALSE" serialNumber = "W80#######6" Refer How to spoof real Mac in VMware - Multi-booting and Virtualisation.

The critical variables for iMessage/Facetime activation are MLB & ROM.  By default, VMware "reflects" the host's MLB and ROM since it assumes you are running the OSX guest on a real Mac host - see post#42 by @Donk.

If the host is a Windows PC, the following lines need to be added to the vmx file (requires virtualHW.version 12 and smc.version = "0")....
      efi.nvram.var.ROM.reflectHost = "FALSE" efi.nvram.var.MLB.reflectHost = "FALSE" system-id.enable = "TRUE" and the MLB, ROM and optionally system-id entered manually eg
      efi.nvram.var.MLB = "W80######BA1A" (MLB can be 13 or 17 characters long, alphanumeric string) efi.nvram.var.ROM = "<=>?@A" (ROM is entered here as a 6 character ASCII string) uuid.bios = "## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##-## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##" <---Optional (if you want to inject a given system-id hexadecimal value) Note the output for ROM from imessage_debug is a 12 character hexadecimal that needs to be entered here as a 6 character ASCII string eg using an Hex to ASCII converter we find that "3c3d3e3f4041" hex is equivalent to   "<=>?@A".

Vanilla Mavericks and Yosemite
      The same VM settings for El Capitan will also boot and run vanilla installations of OS X Mavericks and Yosemite .  Attached to this post are installer scripts to create bootable Mavericks (CMI.tool) and Yosemite (CYI.tool) ISOs for VirtualBox and VMware.

With the respective OS X installer apps in the Applications folder, download and run the installer tools using terminal ie

To create a Mavericks ISO on your desktop
      cd downloads chmod +x CMI.tool ./CMI.tool To create a Yosemite ISO on your desktop
      cd downloads chmod +x CYI.tool ./CYI.tool Here is a screenshot of the VM running Mavericks 10.9.5...

Enjoy

Update for macOS 10.12 Sierra
      The above settings still work for macOS Sierra after upgrading to VMware Workstation 12.5 and unlocker 2.0.8 - see post #13.

Update for macOS 10.13 High Sierra and 10.14 Mojave
      See post#30 for macOS_iso_cim.tool script to create ISO for macOS using Apple's createinstallmedia utility.
      Post#41 describes how to build "Install macOS ******.app" on the fly from installer files downloaded beforehand in /SharedSupport folder.

CECI.zip
      CYI.tool.zip
      CMI.tool.zip
    • By fusion71au
      Run Vanilla OS X El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra or Mojave in VirtualBox 5.x.x on a Windows Host
      Following on from my previous guide on how to create a VMware virtual machine running Vanilla OS X El Capitan in Windows, I’ve decided to write a similar guide for creating a VirtualBox El Capitan VM. 

The virtual machine should be useful for testing El Capitan and also for creating installers for use on a real machine/hackintosh.

There are other tutorials and videos on the net about running OS X on Windows machines using pre-made VMDK disk images but you can never guarantee what else is in there….

I’ve gathered info for this guide from several threads in the Multibooting and Virtualisation section of this forum and also the wider internet eg

@colt2 HOW TO: Create a bootable El Capitan ISO for VMware
      @dsmccombs comment on faking Ivybridge Processor
      @E:V:A http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=55572430&postcount=6
      @Tech Reviews video tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7X07U63lwg.
      VirtualBox Forum: Status of OSX on OSX

Requirements
         Intel PC with four or more CPU cores running Windows 7 X64 or later OS (2 or more cores needed for OS X)    4GB or more RAM (2GB or more will be needed for OS X)    Hard Disk with at least 40GB free for Virtual Machine    Oracle VM VirtualBox v 5.0.34    Install OS X El Capitan app and Mac or Hack to prepare installation iso <-- Now, no longer necessary to have previous access to a Mac or Hack by building the Installer.app from scratch - see post#75    16GB or larger exFAT formatted USB stick to transfer El Capitan iso from Mac/Hack to Host PC  
      Prepare Installation ISO on your Mac or Hack
      1.  On your Mac or Hack, download "Install OS X El Capitan.app" from the App Store into your Applications folder.
      2.  Download and unzip the CECI.tool (attached to this post) into your ~/Downloads folder. The commands in this executable script are shown below for informational purposes.  Note: you will need approx 16GB of free space on your hard disk for the script to complete.

3.  Open OS X terminal, then run the following commands to execute the script:
      cd downloads chmod +x CECI.tool ./CECI.tool 4.  At the end of the process, you will have an El Capitan iso on your desktop - copy this onto an exFAT formatted USB for use on the PC Host later.

Create an El Capitan Virtual Machine in VirtualBox
      1.  Open the VirtualBox program and click the "New" button to create a new VM.

2.  Select Mac OS X and Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan (64 -bit) for Operating System type and version.  I named my Virtual Machine "El_Capitan", then clicked next...

3.  Leave the Memory size at the recommended 2048 MB, then click next.

4.  Choose to "Create a virtual hard disk now", then click the create button.

5.  For the hard disk file type, the default is VDI (VirtualBox Disk Image) but I have selected VMDK for inter-operability with VMWare.  Click next...

6.  For Storage on physical hard disk, I have chosen the default Dynamically allocated (grows larger to a set limit as you need more disk space).

7.  On the File location and size screen, you can set the location of the new virtual hard disk and its size - I recommend changing disk size to 40GB or larger.  When you click the create button, you will now see your new VM in the VirtualBox main GUI.

8.  Click the settings button on the Main Menu to tweak a few settings....
         a.  On the System/Motherboard tab in Boot Order, you can uncheck the Floppy Drive (who has these now?)

b.  On the System/Processor tab, you can increase the allocated CPU cores to 2

c.  On the Display tab, you can increase the allocated Video Memory to 128MB

d.  On the Storage tab, click on the icon of the Optical Drive and select "Choose Virtual Optical Disk File". 

Navigate and select the El Capitan ISO we created earlier...

e.  Click the OK button to finalise the VM settings.

Patch El Capitan vbox configuration file with DMI Settings from a Mac
      1.  From the start menu, type cmd and click run as administrator to open an administrative command prompt. 

2.  Choose a Mac Model similar to your host system, then type the following lines, followed by <enter>  after each line.  Make sure you first close all VirtualBox Windows and the VirtualBox program, otherwise any changes you make won't stick...

Eg iMac11,3
      cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "iMac11,3" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" "1.0" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Mac-F2238BAE" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey" "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC" 1 MacBookPro11,3
      cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "MacBookPro11,3" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" "1.0" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Mac-2BD1B31983FE1663" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey" "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC" 1 Macmini6,2
      cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "Macmini6,2" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" "1.0" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Mac-F65AE981FFA204ED" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey" "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC" 1 3.  Optional- For some host systems eg those with Haswell and newer CPUs, you might have to spoof an older CPU to avoid VirtualBox errors.  You can try from one of the following if this happens:

To spoof Lynnfield i5 750 CPU
      VBoxManage.exe modifyvm "El_Capitan" --cpuidset 00000001 000106e5 06100800 0098e3fd bfebfbff To spoof IvyBridge CPU
      VBoxManage.exe modifyvm "El_Capitan" --cpuidset 00000001 000306a9 04100800 7fbae3ff bfebfbff or
      VBoxManage.exe modifyvm "El_Capitan" --cpuidset 00000001 000306a9 00020800 80000201 178bfbff 4.  Close the command prompt window.

Installation of El Capitan
      We are now ready to start the El_Capitan Virtual Machine....

Installation should be relatively straight forward, just following the prompts of the OS X installer:
      1.  Select language, agree to legal terms

2.  Use Disk Utility from the Utilities Menu to erase and format the virtual hard drive as a single partition GUID Mac OS X Extended.  I named my drive "Macintosh HD" but you can enter whatever you like eg El_Capitan.

3.  Quit DU and choose Macintosh HD to install El Capitan on.
      4.  After 20-30 min (depending on how fast your system is), the installation will complete.  At this point, unmount the El Capitan ISO by clicking the Devices menu from the VM window, click Optical Drives, then choose Remove disk from virtual drive.  The VM is now ready to reboot into OS X from the virtual hard drive.
      5.  At the welcome screen, choose your country and keyboard layout.  You can skip transfer information, location services and logging in with your Apple ID if you wish…
      6.  Create a User Account and select your Time Zone.  You can skip sending diagnostics and usage data to Apple….
      7.  Finally, you will arrive at the El Capitan Desktop.

8.  Network/internet and audio should work OOB but on my system, the sounds were distorted.  Unfortunately, there is no QE/CI and the VM resolution will be fixed without the ability to dynamically resize the VM window (no VirtualBox additions for OS X guests atm). 

Customization with VBoxManage
      1.  You can change the default resolution of 1024*768 (after shutting down the VM) with the VBoxManage command from the Windows Administrative Command Prompt:
      cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode N (Where N can be one of 0,1,2,3,4,5) referring to the 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1920x1200 screen resolution respectively.

Update:  For VirtualBox 5.2.x, the command for changing screen resolution has changed...

VBoxManage setextradata "<MyVM>" VBoxInternal2/EfiGraphicsResolution XxY (where X=Horizontal screen resolution, Y=Vertical screen resolution)
      eg
      VBoxManage setextradata "<MyVM>" VBoxInternal2/EfiGraphicsResolution 1280x1024 2.  Adding serials and other SMBIOS details for the System Information Screen
      VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemSerial" "W8#######B6" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardSerial" "W8#########1A" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVendor" "Apple Inc." VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemFamily" "iMac" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBIOSVersion" "IM112.0057.03B" A listing of known issues with Mac OS X guests can be found in the VirtualBox Manual - link https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch14.html.

Vanilla Mavericks and Yosemite, Snow Leopard from Retail DVD
      The same VM settings for El Capitan will also boot and run vanilla installations of OS X Mavericks and Yosemite .  Attached to this post are installer scripts to create bootable Mavericks (CMI.tool) and Yosemite (CYI.tool) ISOs for VirtualBox and VMware.

With the respective OS X installer apps in the Applications folder, download and run the installer tools using terminal ie

To create a Mavericks ISO on your desktop
      cd downloads chmod +x CMI.tool ./CMI.tool To create a Yosemite ISO on your desktop
      cd downloads chmod +x CYI.tool ./CYI.tool Here is a screenshot of the VM running Mavericks 10.9.5...

Finally, those without a Mac/Hack to prepare the install media can purchase a retail Snow Leopard DVD directly from Apple and install OSX 10.6.3 on their virtual machines (Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion run quite happily in VirtualBox with 1 CPU, 1-2 GB of RAM and the rest of the settings unchanged from above).  Once you update by combo update to SL 10.6.8, you can directly download El Capitan from the App Store for free .

UPDATE macOS Sierra 10.12 to 10.12.6: For macOS Sierra, use CSI.tool in post#51.
      UPDATE macOS High Sierra 17A365:  For macOS High Sierra, use CHSI.tool in post#73.
      UPDATE macOS Mojave 18A391:  For macOS Mojave or High Sierra, use macOS_iso_creator.tool on page 4 of thread.

Good luck and enjoy
      CECI.tool.zip
      CYI.tool.zip
      CMI.tool.zip
    • By fusion71au
      This is a brief guide on how to create a vanilla El Capitan (also same process for Sierra) OS X Installer USB with an updated prelinked kernel containing FakeSMC.

It is tailored for those users who want to understand the “nuts and bolts” of how to create an installer and also to help brush up on their terminal skills (rather than have one made for them with the numerous automated “tools” available or even Apple’s createinstallmedia) :

Specifically, it is also a “Proof of Concept” which shows that installation is possible without even having to rely on boot loader kext injection.

Prerequisites
      Existing Yosemite installation (or Mavericks - see post#4 for steps 7,8) “Install OS X El Capitan.app" downloaded to the Applications folder Pacifist FakeSMC.kext - Slice or Kozlek branch Bootloader - Clover or Chameleon 8GB or larger USB drive (16GB recommended), formatted HFS+ (MBR or GUID) named “Installer”  
      Procedure
      1.  Boot into Yosemite with the kext-dev-mode=1 boot flag
      2.  Open OS X terminal and type the following lines, followed by <Enter> after each line.
          The image restore and file copying may take a while to complete, and at the end of the process, the Installer volume is renamed to “OS X Base System"....

sudo -s hdiutil attach /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg asr restore -source /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg  -target /Volumes/Installer -erase -format HFS+ -noprompt -noverify rm /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages cp -av /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation cp -av /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System diskutil unmount /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD exit 3.  Right click on the “OS X Base System” Volume and click “Get Info”

4.  Click on the lock icon and untick “Ignore ownership on this volume”

5.  Extract/Copy the El Capitan Kernels folder into /System/Library/ of the USB with Pacifist.  NB It is found in the "Essentials.pkg" in /System/Installation/Packages

6.  Delete or Rename the original /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel —> OG.prelinkedkernel

7.  Copy FakeSMC.kext and other necessary kexts (e.g. VoodooPS2Controller.kext for laptops) into the /Library/Extensions folder of the installer USB using Finder.

8.  Back in terminal, type the following lines, followed by <Enter> after each line to rebuild the prelinkedkernel…..

sudo -s chmod -R 755 /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/Library/Extensions chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/Library/Extensions touch /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions kextcache -u /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System exit Any errors should be noted but the output below is normal e.g.

9. Install your Bootloader targeting the OS X Base System volume

10.  Boot your system with the USB without injected kexts into the OS X Installer GUI....

Post Install
      The original prelinked kernel in a fresh install of El Capitan will also lack FakeSMC ie it will only be linked to Apple signed kexts.  In order to boot into El Capitan the first time around without boot loader kext injection, the PLK needs to be rebuilt for the El Capitan volume like we did for the installer:

1.  Boot into Yosemite with the kext-dev-mode=1 boot flag
      2.  Delete or Rename the original /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel for the El Capitan volume —> OG.prelinkedkernel
      3.  Copy FakeSMC.kext and other necessary kexts (e.g. VoodooPS2Controller.kext for laptops) into the /Library/Extensions folder of El Capitan using Finder
      4.  Back in terminal, type the following lines, followed by <Enter> after each line to rebuild the prelinkedkernel.  In this example, the El Capitan volume is named "El_Capitan" - change if you have named it something else...
      sudo -s chmod -R 755 /Volumes/El_Capitan/Library/Extensions chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/El_Capitan/Library/Extensions touch /Volumes/El_Capitan/System/Library/Extensions kextcache -u /Volumes/El_Capitan exit 5. Install your Bootloader targeting the El Capitan volume.  This step is only necessary if you are installing El Capitan on a new drive without existing boot loader (not required if installing on a disk with existing boot loader beside Yosemite).
      6. Reboot your system without injected kexts into El Capitan!

Other links
      The All-In-One Guide to Vanilla OS X for beginners

Updates for Sierra and High Sierra   Custom Prelinkedkernel Generator Tool I have made a custom prelinkedkernel generator "PLK.tool" for Sierra + El Capitan.  Instructions:   1.  Download and extract the attached BaseSystem_PLK.tool.zip into your ~/Downloads folder.   2.  Copy any extra kexts necessary for booting your hack to ~/Downloads/BaseSystem/ExtraKexts (e.g. FakeSMC, VoodooPS2Controller), making sure SIP is disabled. 3.  Copy BaseSystem.dmg to ~/Downloads/BaseSystem  4.  Open terminal and run the following commands... cd ~/Downloads/BaseSystem chmod +x PLK.tool ./PLK.tool ---> supply your admin password ---> will place your new custom prelinkedkernel on the desktop.       macOS High Sierra bypass Firmware and MBR checks in post#13.
      BaseSystem_PLK.tool_ElCap.zip
      BaseSystem_PLK.tool_Sierra.zip
      BaseSystem_PLK.tool_Mojave.zip (need to run in Mojave to avoid dependency errors)

• By fusion71au
      Clover r4644 ISO compiled with GCC and minimal config.plist compatible for use in VMWare Workstation.

Tested with unlocked Workstation 14 running OSX 10.9 -->10.14 guest in Windows X64 host.

Installation
      1. Download and unzip "EFI_Clover_r4644 for VMware.zip". Mount Clover-v2.4k-4644-X64 by double clicking on it.
      2. Mount your VM's EFI System Partition eg in terminal
      sudo diskutil mount disk0s1   3. Copy EFI folder from step 1 into the EFI partition
      4. Shutdown the VM, add bios.bootDelay = "3000" to your VM's vmx file
      5. Reboot your VM, press <F2> to access the VMware Boot Manager and add CLOVERX64.efi to the boot menu.

Substitute your own unique and valid MLB and ROM variables in the /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist (Rt Variables section) to activate iMessage/Facetime on your VM.
    • By fantomas1
      hi people  

you can use this thread to link / talk about of the future Nvidia Web Driver updates for El Capitan

Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15f16 --> build 15G22010 (thanks to BreBo)  New!
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15f15 --> build 15G21013 (thanks to BreBo) 
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15f14 --> build 15G20015 (thanks to DMCrimson)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15f13 --> build 15G20015 (thanks to Louvier)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15f12 --> build 15G19009 (thanks to WeBeRiO)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15f11 --> build 15G18013 (thanks to BreBo)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15f10 --> build 15G17023 (thanks to Badruzeus)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15f09 --> build 15G1611 (thanks to Badruzeus)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15f08 --> build 15G1510 (thanks to Badruzeus)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15f07 --> build 15G1421 (thanks to bb1045)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15f06 --> build 15G1217 (thanks to bb1045)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15f05 --> build 15G1212 (thanks to WeBeRiO)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15f04 --> build 15G1108 (see this post)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15f03 --> build 15G1004 (thanks to BreBo)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15f02 --> build 15G31 (thanks to Moviemakergr)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15f01 --> build 15G31 (thanks to WeBeRiO)
      [uPDATE_3]Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15b01 --> build 15G24b (thanks to DMCrimson)

Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.10f02 --> build 15F34 (thanks to marcozardi)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.10f01 --> build 15F34 (thanks to WeBeRiO)
      [uPDATE_2] Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.10b01 --> build 15F31a (see this post)

Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.06f01 --> build 15E65 (see this post)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.06b01 --> build 15E (see this post)

Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.05f02 --> second release for build 15D21 (thanks to Fljagd)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.05f01  --> build 15D21 (see this post)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.05b02 --> build 15D (see this post)

Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.04f02 --> second public release (see this post)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.04f01 --> build 15C50 (see this post)  
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.04b02 --> build 15C48a (see this post) 
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.04b01 --> build 15C47a (see this post)

Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.03f02 --> second public release (see this post) 
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.03f01 --> build 15B42 (thanks to jperkins909)

Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.02f02 --> build 15A284 (thanks to MTWomg)
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.02f01 --> build 15A284 (see this post)

DP
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.01b07 --> GM/DB/PB6/DB7/PB5 (thanks to BreBo) 
      Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.01b06 --> build 15A (thanks to MTWomg)