X230 El Capitan

gilg2533

36 posts in this topic

Thought id post this for anyone who is interested (I may be convinced to make a guide)

What is working:

Audio

Sleep (hibernate works)

All USB

Airport (rebranded atheros 9280 as a intel 6300 with appropriate fakePCI kexts, ^%#* Lenovo and its whitelist)

Keyboard, trackpad, pointer

Power Management

Ethernet

Lid

HD4000(brightness etc)

Dual batteries(somewhat quirky but they work)

Only things not working

Bluetooth(Im pretty sure this is just because it was never turned on via fn f5 in windows, and I have no OS installed other then El Capitan to rectify this,  will be putting my msata back in next week to fix this and will report back then)

Card reader(haven't even tried, never use it)

If you have questions let me know!

This is for an Lenovo X230 model 2306CTO with an I5-3210 just fyi, if someone has a different model post up your vanilla DSDT and I will help you with it.

• Like 4

Hi,

Is this about the Lenovo X230? 

Great that you have got it to run OSX, do you mind sharing the files used for installation/boot? 

You can upload them and attach them by editing your post and selecting the file, then click attach this file. 

post-1090626-0-07968500-1446891047_thumb.png

You must set it to AHCI mode, UEFI boot to either UEFI or Mixed depending on if you use clover (you want to use clover) and security execution bit enabled are all I can think of off the top of my head.  I had to turn off the fingerprint reader under IOdevices in order to prevent a reboot when going to sleep as well.

You must set it to AHCI mode, UEFI boot to either UEFI or Mixed depending on if you use clover (you want to use clover) and security execution bit enabled are all I can think of off the top of my head.  I had to turn off the fingerprint reader under IOdevices in order to prevent a reboot when going to sleep as well.

I tried a fresh install today, was not able to boot from USB right away but eventually did succeed thanks to your installation files!

After install I got no audio and wifi but before I could dig into that I got stuck with reboot issue. It seems I cannot reboot without the install USB, if I try it without I get: error loading kernel cache (0x9). Did you happen to bump into this yourself? I think I messed up with something after install... if you could share some of your steps that would be great!

You have FAKESMC and associated kexts in Clover/Kexts/10.11 correct.  Also what is your smbios set as, are you using my config.plist.  What ssdt are you using, what processor do you have?  I had absolutely no reboot issues, and 10.11 booted fine with the files I had from yosemite.

Ok going through the bios step by step this is what I have set:  Config/Network/Wake On Lan Disabled, USB UEFI BIOS Support Enables, Always On USB Disabled, USB 3.0 Mode Enabled, Power Intel Rapid Start Technology Disabled, Serial SATA SATA Controller Mode Option AHCI; Security Predesktop Authentication Disabled, Security Chip (Everything Disabled), Memory Protection Execution Prevention Enabled, Virtualization (Everything Disabled), I/O Port Access everything enabled except Fingerprint Reader which is Disabled, Anti Theft Current Setting Disabled, Computrace Disabled, Secure Boot Disabled; Startup Network Boot PCI Lan, UEFI/Legacy Boot UEFI Only, CSM Support No (This was a big one for me I forgot about it), Boot Mode Quick.  And thats pretty much it, go through and check that, if that doesn't do it we can look at what clover drivers you are using.

Also if you don't have a rebranded Atheros Wifi card, don't use the FAKEPCIID kexts

Another thing is what version of Clover are you using, I am using 3320 on the x230

BIOS

Alright, I went through BIOS settings, everything was as you said except for 2 things: Visualization was enabled and CMS on (UEFI/LEGACY with UEFI First) as setting. Changed that now. Also I was wondering, what version of BIOS are you running (I have 2.63 but I see latest is 2.65) and do you have setting Restart > OS Optimized Defaults On enabled/disabled?

Installation

I’m using Clover 3320 as well. I created new USB from scratch and gave it another try this morning. Removed FAKEPCIID kext as I didn’t replace the Wifi card.

Progress bar (during usb boot installation) gave a distorted screen, with the apple logo. Also during first boot after install same happened (when the progress bar halfway), after that it’s fine though, not sure if this matters. 

It seems like the BIOS (and probably removing unnecessary FAKEPCIID kexts) did the job. Booting does take quite some time, last part just hangs for a few minutes for sure, but eventually goes through. 

- USB works

- Ethernet works

- no Audio 

- no Bluetooth (not recognized @ system report overview)

- Battery, when not connected to power supply (constantly switching between 'Calculating time remaining' and ‘No Battery Available', brightness switches with it too, as if I would plug power in / out)

- Power Management: didn’t test this yet, but assume not as battery is not working properly.

Edit

I removed DSDT file and now it boots much faster, apple logo/screen gets distorted for a sec just before login. But removing that caused battery not getting recognized at all.

Also ran a Geekbench trial 32bit and got a single-core 2477 / multi-core 5218 (did this because yesterday I got barely 2k something on multi-core).

- Sleep/wake seems to be working, if I manually go to sleep from menu.

Perhaps we don't share exactly the same X230 hardware?

What x230 model do you have, there is (I believe) a 4 digit number after the x230 part that lenovo uses to identify the exact model, it should be underneath where the battery is if you remove it.  The screen glitches during boot up are normal, I did have issue with the battery switching between ac and battery but I don't remember how I fixed it, I will think on this more.  If the model is different then you will need to extract your dsdt and then we can edit it.  It may be as simple as patching for a single battery to fix your battery issue (assuming you are only using one and not a battery and a slice like I am).  Glad to hear you got it going at least that far.  I believe I am on bios 2.61 or 2.63 I don't have the machine here to check right now, I will let you know for cure later, as well as to the bios setting you asked about.  I am surprised it even boots without the dsdt though.

Glad to hear that screen glitch is ‘normal’ haha, doesn’t really bother me as long as video/iGPU fully works in OS X =]. 

Looked at the model number, also verified it in BIOS just to be sure, it’s the following: Machine Type Mode: 2325J67.

Tried looking up some specific hardware info, some spec sheet or whatever from Lenovo website but that turned out useless. 

About battery, I don’t exactly know what you mean by ‘battery and a slice’, is like an extended battery? Mine x230 has a 5300mAh 44+ battery, it’s slightly bigger than the case @ bottom, not sure if that's what you meant. 

Also perhaps this is worth mentioning, I noticed when I had your DSDT file in place audio was recognized as Intel hd … something (mic, speakers, jack etc listed) @ system report, I could use Mute button on keyboard but no sound/no output/no input devices in sound preferences. Once I removed DSDT I see nothing @ system report.

Mine is a 2306CTO so that is probably a problem.  Also a slice battery is a second battery that attaches to the bottom of the machine allowing you to run both the main battery that attaches from the back, and the slice which attaches from the bottom, at the same time.  If you extract your dsdt (use clover) I can help you edit it.

Ah it’s unfortunate I don’t have the same one, would made things quite easier. 

I never edited or compiled my own DSDT so did some reading on it and I extracted the DSDT using RehabMan’s patchmatic (https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-MaciASL-patchmatic). You said using Clover to do so, I didn’t get that, like with Clover configurator? 

I also tried compiling DSDT using MaciASL, it gave me 1 Errors, 5 Warning, 18 Remarks, 3184 optimizations. Didn’t go further into this though, but just to try things out I applied a patch (from RehabMan’s Laptop Patches source) and chose Lenovo x220, it got battery working, which is cool. Also tried x230i, didn’t do much from what I could notice. 

So, back to my DSDT, I included the extracted (unedited) files, if you could take a look into it, and perhaps recommend what I should edit next, that would be great!

x230_extract.zip

To start I would search in google for [Guide] Patching LAPTOP DSDT/SSDTs I can help you further if needed, but that guide should explain most of what you need to do.  Also its weird the x230i patch didn't work for you.  That is the one that I used (initially I used the x220 one in Yosemite) with the part about the second battery removal being removed.

Thanks for the help! 

I’ve been messing around with DSDT patching, battery / brightness / lid fixed, but closing is not putting it to sleep yet. Too bad that the Wifi card is not compatible, really need this and will be looking for a replacement asap. It’s fun though, learning a lot from this attempt with X230. :lol:

There is no whitelisted card that will work with os x.  What I did was buy an atheros 9280 and rebranded it to appear as a n6300.  This passed the whitelist check and then the fakepciid kexts I provided lets os x see it as an apple airport card and it works natively.  This may be next to impossible to get to work in windows due to driver issues, I haven't tried as I only have os x on the machine currently.

• Like 1

Damn it Lenovo :(

Good to know about the atheros 9280, I'll see how far I can get with OS X on x230, it's not a must-have thing for me right now. Before I came across your post I had a dual boot Ubuntu / Win 10. Didn't even bother trying dual booting anything with OS X :D

yes if you need help with the rebranding, if you decide to do that, let me know.  I did it on Ubuntu on a desktop board that has mpcie slots.  I did notice that you could plug the mpcie wifi card into the x230 after it booted and see it with lspci command, so you might be able to flash it that way.  If you do go that way don't get a card with built in bluetooth, I found that I could flash the wifi part, but the bluetooth part still failed the whitelist check.

• 3 months later...

Hi hamid37,

I followed the instructions from http://ronaldaai.blogspot.com/2015/11/lenovo-x230-hackintosh.htmltogether with the kexts from  gilg2533 and I managed to get my x230 working. Well, apart from Audio at the moment. You can try and see if these work for you.

gilg2533, if you can advise on how to get the Audio working, it would be great. Intel Audio shows up in System Information but Sound Preference says No output devices found. I'm pretty new on this Mackintosh stuff, so please bear with me.

Thanks a lot!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm currently running Arch Linux but am interested in installing Mac OS X on the side.

Here is my model

System Information
	Manufacturer: LENOVO
	Product Name: 2324CTO
	Version: ThinkPad X230

My CPU

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz

I'm really interested in a guide. I have been looking for one for almost 2 years now (since I bought my X230 2 years ago).

I'll try what has been posted here and post my results :)

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on how to get sound working on 10.11.4?

dummyHDA injection doesn't work with layout-id set to 28.
Tried injection with DSDT edit and clover config, both no go.

Machine: x230 2320-32U, i5-3210M
BIOS: 2.65 EFI/1.14 ECV

EDIT: Sound working. How did you rebrand the AR9280?

• 3 weeks later...