Checkered B&W screen after L5430 Xeon LGA771 install. Any ideas?

6 posts in this topic

Guys, I am trying to upgrade old LGA775 P5Q board with new processor.
It is Xeon L5430 with adapter. It is working perfectly under Windows since I've updated microcodes in BIOS. Bios I am using is so called 5th Year anniversary mode BIOS.

Dual core E4400 is absolutely fine with the setup. So far i don't have problems with running it on Clover 10.10(tweaked) or 10.11(vanilla config with only latest FakeSMC) on e4400 but Xeon gives me checkered screen after initial apple on black loading screen on both installs. Black has fuzzy RGB dots.

Any ideas what this can be or how to troubleshoot that? Thank you.

post-252675-0-53764100-1446112405_thumb.jpg

post-252675-0-31957000-1446112444_thumb.jpg

post-252675-0-65176000-1446112487_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Seems like I have fixed it with the guide https://zhaomin.me/core_to_xeon.html

Guide was like except I've omitted first two steps since I had working setup I did it on.
Note for Quad Core you should put 3 (yes, it is No of Cores minus 1smile_osx.png

Now testing. IF it will fail I will do follow up.
Speedster is working for sure& Cant say about C and P states since never was trying to understand them but it is not panicing with them enabled in BIOS. Sleep is working but restarts on wakeup.

GUIDE

• Add cpus=1 pciroot=1 tscsync and npci=0x2000 (based on motherboard spec.) boot-args.
  • Get into dektop without GPU driver.
  • Google and download VoodooTSCSync.kext.
  • Edit VoodooTSCSync.kext/Contents/Info.plist, change the value of IOCPUNumber to x (x=CPU threads-1).
  • Change boot-args to npci=0x2000 pciroot=1.
  • Rebuild kext cache and Reboot.
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

Seems like I have fixed it with the guide https://zhaomin.me/core_to_xeon.html

Guide was like except I've omitted first two steps since I had working setup I did it on.

Note for Quad Core you should put 3 (yes, it is No of Cores minus 1smile_osx.png

Now testing. IF it will fail I will do follow up.

Speedster is working for sure& Cant say about C and P states since never was trying to understand them but it is not panicing with them enabled in BIOS. Sleep is working but restarts on wakeup.

GUIDE

• Add cpus=1 pciroot=1 tscsync and npci=0x2000 (based on motherboard spec.) boot-args.
  • Get into dektop without GPU driver.
  • Google and download VoodooTSCSync.kext.
  • Edit VoodooTSCSync.kext/Contents/Info.plist, change the value of IOCPUNumber to x (x=CPU threads-1).
  • Change boot-args to npci=0x2000 pciroot=1.
  • Rebuild kext cache and Reboot.

Sir, you are a genius! I love you! I've spent countless hours to figure this out.

I finally got my EP35-DS3R with 771 xeon to boot.

One last problem, when waking from sleep the computer reboots. Have you had this issue?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello, I also have a modified socket 775 board and a Xeon E5450 with a Radeon HD4870. I entered 0x0106D0 in Clover's FakeCPUID, now I don't even get the 'this is an unknown CPU 0x3a' error. However, the system won't go to sleep. I tested various darkwake modes. in the most the screen goes black, but everything stays on and after a movement or key press it is back again. Another variation is that the system goes to sleep, except the graphics card, or at least the fan. The system also don't want to wake up, I have to hard-reset. The card is recognized as ID 9440, RV770 Chip 'Wekiva'. The temperature sensor is displayed in HWMonitor, stays around 60°C or more.

• 5 months later...