duduclx

[GUIDE] Dell Latitude E6410 Nvidia El Capitan Clover [ENG]

217 posts in this topic

Yeah either that or maybe try throwing the files into the 10.10, 10.11, and the other folder,  maybe it just isnt picking up that the newest osx update is 10.11.  I couldn't bother with the hassle any more, because it would only sometimes work, so I placed it in S/L/E

if you are going off of patel4prez yosemite guide, all of his files carried over nicely to El Capitan.  Pretty much what I did was I had his old version, made an El Capitan usb boot disk, installed el capitan over yosemite, then installed clover onto the main drive with the settings from this guide - turned off the fix shutdown setting (We need to add a different one for e6410, which dudu does in his DSDT), fixed the AppleHDA address, added the files from this guide, patched the dsdt from patel4prez with the USB fix and it worked.

Although, on my one e6410, I had to completely delete the s/l/e folder, and include it with the vanilla version of el capitan.  With this version I had to use the NVidia drivers that I posted above to get video working

Advertisement

Yeah either that or maybe try throwing the files into the 10.10, 10.11, and the other folder,  maybe it just isnt picking up that the newest osx update is 10.11.  I couldn't bother with the hassle any more, because it would only sometimes work, so I placed it in S/L/E

if you are going off of patel4prez yosemite guide, all of his files carried over nicely to El Capitan.  Pretty much what I did was I had his old version, made an El Capitan usb boot disk, installed el capitan over yosemite, then installed clover onto the main drive with the settings from this guide - turned off the fix shutdown setting (We need to add a different one for e6410, which dudu does in his DSDT), fixed the AppleHDA address, added the files from this guide, patched the dsdt from patel4prez with the USB fix and it worked.

Although, on my one e6410, I had to completely delete the s/l/e folder, and include it with the vanilla version of el capitan.  With this version I had to use the NVidia drivers that I posted above to get video working

I used patel'z thread too as most of my research has been shared there anyway :(...

Havent yet given up but it seems im heading in that direction

what is the mentionned usb fix ?

can someone add it there ?

@yves31: make sure to enable nvidia graphic card in Bios !

it will not work wit intel GMA !

@plutodelic: haven't tested your config for dock station, but i will ...

even if it may not work, it will be a great start to make it works

(but it will work with your patch, for sure).

@knight of dragon: i don't really understand all your used config.

i have no lag, but i should test the video driver and look around graphic perf, powermanagement, openGL...

surely a usefull information.

@Hervé: thanks for the tips !

i'll look at it, but i'm very busy till next summer.

I have no choice but to give up, i just cant troubleshoot the reason of the fails, they're way to many.

OP's files dont work, nothing makes it past the geforce sensors loading, even if i remove DSDT. I even used a guide for Mavericks/Yosemite files with updated clover and kexts, no luck either.

Knight 0f Dragon was kind enough to share his setup files with me. While im having a bit of progress with his files, it still very annoyingly not working and i hate the fact that the issue seems so unclear to me.

Normal/Verbose boot goes quite far, mounting my two internal disks, one with Windows one with Yosemite.Sometimes it boots to the apple logo (but no progress bar changes) and sometimes after a few minutes, it will shutdown (not restart). Strangely, Safe Mode fails way earlier then normal boot.

And with Knight 0f Dragon's files UEFI booting restarts right after detecting all CPU cores, while Legacy booting results in all the above findings.

How come there is such a difference how things are dealt with from UEFI to Legacy booting?

I can't even get UEFI working on my SSD,  I had to do legacy only.  IIRC. I saw a guide getting UEFI working correctly on SSD, but I never bothered with it.  Are you able to create a USB version?  I am pretty sure I was able to get into El Capitan with just the initial install and Clover, no extra kexts, but I lost the ability to use the USB (This is where the DSDT comes in to play).  Later on tonight I will try and recreate this process, and let you know the bare minimum needed to get into El Capitan.  You will then have to just work piece by piece till you figure out where you went wrong.

Weirdly, and this has to do with my limited knowledge, booting with injected kexts, i never noticed it is actually a choice (kinda saw "without"...), thinking that normal boot injects clover's kext folders.

Well, it booted to the installer, installed fine, booted on the disk fine with a few drawbacks (wifi, etc), so i thought i'd give power management and sleeping a try. While i put it on sleep, the computer wouldnt turn silent and sleep, so i pushed the power button, only to find out i forced OS X in to hibernating.

Now any sort of booting results in to a CPU halt (it says kext loading disabled??) and shuts down.

I can clearly say, Mountain Lion started to be so easy to deal with compared to its previous releases, then came Mavericks which i think was the most Hackintosh friendly system. Yosemite had a few bumps but it was easy to, but with El Capitan, i think Apple has accepted the challenge and wants to annoy us to death.

Regarding UEFI boot, there is one problem. This device is made to use the windows UEFI standard, no the EFI regulations from GPT. I installed Win10 with UEFI, and i noticed that it created the EFI partition as the 2nd partition, basically a stupid layout, but the UEFI seems to detect clover there (manual entry), and it boots the OS X from my 2nd drive (exchanged Optical with HDD Caddy). My point is, i dont think it is SSD related, more like our UEFI implementation adapted to Microsoft rather then standards. Weridly, it will see the standard EFI partition in USBs though.

You need to reboot without hiberation to get it back on (Should be a setting in Clover),  In regards to booting with injected kexts,  that choice changes depending on your config, if you tell it to inject by default, it will give you the without option, and vice versa.  I was never able to get hibernation to work, so I just disabled it all together: sudo pmset hibernatemode 0. I also disabled my Mac from going to sleep since that freezes the system,  I did not think the change from Yosemite to El Capitan was a lot of trouble, but then again I used to have Chameleon on mine, not Clover.  I am liking the fact I can use my iMessage again though  I have missed that for the past 2 years haha.

Well, i have made it up to a point, and was able to troubleshoot a few things.

I made a Clover v3364 (will update to v3411 shortly) with El Capitan 10.11.4 bootable USB (both as Legacy and UEFI). Strangely, only booting with injected kext's results in to boot, i have no idea how i switched the feature off to do it automatically.

I have used Knight 0f Dragon's file he privately shared with me, mainly due to similarity in our e6410 as we both have an i5 and his DSDT.

ATM, booting still from USB Clover to EC on Disk. most of the things work, except Audio and WiFi

Graphics wise, i have to share a few tricks i learned from Mountain Lion days, the Fn + F8 combo.

• DisplayPort works and it can extend or mirror both displays (no audio though).
  • VGA works, but it wont just detect it. However, if you press Fn + F8 during boot or Clover to switch the Video Output, it will work on VGA.
  • Same thing with VGA on Docking Station, Fn + F8 will switch to VGA.
  • Fn + F8's only drawback is that it either uses the built-in or the external output, it's kinda a SWITCH.
  • EDIT: Fn + F8 is devastating if done while on OS X, it freezes the system instantaneously, even if you intend to switch back.

Again, UEFI USB boot results in a rapid restart, it barely covers a page of output, but it does enter Darwin as the output is OS X related.

Legacy USB boot works, and even the graphical interface has a better resolution, and mouse works, never knew Clover supported mice.

Of course, i have Sleeping issues and just disabled Hibernation (thanks Knight 0f Dragon and Hervé), not sure if this is "Power Management" related, but sleeping is not a priority but i would love to have it.

Anyway, here are my files:

The tables have turned and im not giving up easy :).

EDIT: just noticed the thread is under Netbooks? how come?

Audio only works with Voodoo HDA,  I think dudu may have left the voodoo kext in,  but I could not find a patch for our audio board.  As for wifi, what chipset are you using?  The default one provided in e6410 will not work.

Audio only works with Voodoo HDA,  I think dudu may have left the voodoo kext in,  but I could not find a patch for our audio board.  As for wifi, what chipset are you using?  The default one provided in e6410 will not work.

I had ML, Mavericks and Yosemite working well under it, but i think i was forced to use MacBookAir5.2 SMBIOS in order for it to work...

btw, i really cant seem to make Clover read the whole config.plist of yours (and mine :P), i changed the inject kexts to yes and still nothing, in fact, i noticed that Clover wont read anything related to config.plist, i tried to manually enter the options to see the cpu stuff and noticed P and C states are not ticked, where as they are in my config.plist. wondering if that's the reason why they release a new revision so fast, we had like 5 of them in two months...

PS, @dudu, while using the DOCK, if i dont touch anything while booting (not pressing Fn + F8), the built-in and the VGA both turn off, however, the system works without a problem as i could SSH on my small server inside. Pressing Fn + F8 during boot will make only the VGA usable, leaving the built-in display useless.

EDIT: just noticed that Clover Configurator does not see anything from the file as well...all the fields are blank when i open it.

grab my Yosemite config.plist i shared a page behind, i did some random stuff from the Clover Wiki guide, and had VGA work as an extensions. However, the system needs to boot with the stuff, i.e, if you boot completely, and put you laptop on the dock after, it wont work. this could be DSDT related, but again, that is something i have no knowledge about.

PS, i havent yet installed Clover on my setup disk, but im booting the disk from the USB i installed with. Is there any reason why OS X sees the root disk as ejectable?

Here's the screenshot, it doesnt seem to treat its own disk compared how it treats the Windows disk. wth?

EDIT: i noticed that SIP is on in my machine, so that definitely means the config.plist is not being read?...cause it does have the rt scripts against it.

About the display port from dock not working of you haven't boot with the computer docked:

- the system don't reload the output, closing opening the laptop screen may do the trick.

- the framebuffer have not the correct number of port and/or the patch is not applied.

About the disk icon, see patch in my config.

This is a well know issue.

About SIP.

That's normal. The patch in clover don't change the statut of crsutil but your SIP is patched.

Then, if you use xtrafinder, the app will open a warning about SIP, but it will work because of the patch.

You can disable SIP from recovery boot.

About the display port from dock not working of you haven't boot with the computer docked:

- the system don't reload the output, closing opening the laptop screen may do the trick.

- the framebuffer have not the correct number of port and/or the patch is not applied.

About SIP.

That's normal. The patch in clover don't change the statut of crsutil but your SIP is patched.

Then, if you use xtrafinder, the app will open a warning about SIP, but it will work because of the patch.

Cheers

About SIP.

Cheers

Very weird. my P and C states are checked on my config

I have a dock also,  when I get around to it I can post some results I am getting with it

The FIXES under DSDT was not closed, i think that's why it resulted in no reckoning whatsoever...

I have managed to get a UEFI boot successful and just did a fresh install with it. removing EmuVariable efi driver and adding slide=0 as a boot argument did it.

EDIT: Nice, VGA works, both from Dock and VGA output, and this time it actually extends...

Screenshot

A few things i noticed different in UEFI install and environment, during install, it detected my UK PC keyboard, and the touchpad is detected as a mouse, not as a touchpad. Also, as before, Wifi and sound are not working (they are compatible, and wifi is being shown at the USB section in System Report).

Unfortunately, i dont understand anything related to DSDT but i hope to learn finally and give my machine a proper one, i just read about generating one with Clover, will go further on that...

PS, i got Dual screen through VGA working from my previous Yosemite config.plist, but i did merge all the changes i saw on Dudu's and Knight 0f Dragon's config's. I will share a package soon for the sake of troubleshooting, UEFI definitely deserves some attention.

EDIT2: This is the clover i set up post-installation with the installer, i am not sharing to cause any inconsistency, just to further the project and the life of this little machine. While i had problems doing just this previously, this time it worked like a charm, the UEFI only installation worked just fine, and all you have to do in bios is add "
 \EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.efi" as a UEFI entry, and select the disk Clover is at.

EFI.zip

Again, to summarise:

• No Audio - I didnt use the VoodooHDA method, would prefer the native one.
  • No WiFi - Might change the SMBIOS model here as i remember my WiFi works out of the box if i switch to MacBookAir5,1 or MacBookAir5,2
  • Internal Driver shown as External - in fact, it's the drive it loads itself from. I tried the AHCI patch i found on the net, but it screwed Clover up. Might also be that i've installed OS X/Clover on my 2nd drive, in the Caddy (HDD Module for the Optical Slot)
  • No Sleep

Obviously i have DSDT issues as i am using Knight 0F Dragon's DSDT, and we might have different hardware, not sure how much that differs.

Dell e6410 Configuration:

Manufacture Date 9/2/2010

Bios: A16

Memory: 8GB Dual InterLeave DDR3 SDRam (4GB per stick)

Processor Type: Intel® Core i7CPU M640 @2.80GHz,  (used to have an i5 @ 2.40GHz)

Video: NVidia NVS 3100M, Vieo Bios 70.18.53.00.4 512MB 14" Wide XGA+ Native Resolution 1440x900

Audio Controller: IDT92HD81

Wifi Device:Broadcom Wireless (Used to have Intel Centrino, these are not compatable as far as I know)

That's it i guess, no wonder your DSDT does not differ from Dudu's, i mean related to why my machine worked, i thought a wrong DSDT can result very awkwardly, but here i stand...

DSDT is just too alien to me, i just dont understand anything i do with it, of IF i do anything at all. I've went through a lot of guides and still fail to understand it.

Btw, my machine has a i5-520M CPU, and i have no idea what the Audio Controller is, DPCI Manager says it's a "0x80863B56, 0x1028040A, 0x111D76D5, 0x0104, IDT 92HD81B1C" , not even the AppleHDA Patcher helped to get it on.

Wifi i managed to enable through SMBIOS change to MacBookAir5,2, works natively, got the broadcom variant.

And the AHCI Patch does not work, my OS X drive is still recognised as a Yellow Icon (external drive).

Yellow Icon is confirmed from caddy, i use the Optical interface to use a 2nd HDD. I physically switched the disks and OS X now is internal, although it sees Windows as external.

DSDT, i did a generation with Clover, patched it with Dudu's instructions and even a file from Olarila, but no noticeable changes and especially no Audio change.

Audio, i gave up and went for VoodooHDA.

I cut down Clover a bit, removing 32bit stuff, and also updated all the KEXT's to the latest versions, and it seems updating VoodooPS2Controller was a bad idea as the touchpad doesnt work anymore.

I dont think i am more capable of adding anymore as my limit has been reached on this one.

An once again, no Sleep.

MacBookAir5,2 is a wrong profile for an Arrandale platform, you should use MBP6,1/MBP6,2. I understand you use it to get your wireless card working (due to Apple whitelisting) but you should patch your BCM4360 kext instead. The right SMBIOS profile is essential to obtain good native CPU speedstep on C2D/Arrandale platforms (alongside bootloader activation of P-States + C-States). I can provide you with the patched kext if you want or follow the instructions detailed here. What wireless card do you have?

Regarding audio, you got it all in DCPIManager: IDT 92HD81B1C audio controller with 76D5 codec. That's what you need to look for (codec 76D5) in terms of AppleHDA patches. Or follow the various documented process to create your own patch (for instance here). This being said, details of the Clover on-the-fly AppleHDA patch + dummy IDT AppleHDA kext are provided in post #1, so no reason why it would not work for you...

please remember me, at least for that fact that you can always throw a guide rather then send ready files to me :P, i really do love learning.

SMBIOS profile to me has been a research point i still didnt start with. it is common sense that the Air's most probably have lower threshold levels of performance, avoiding overheating, where as the pro's are designed to withstand...PC Laptop are more like the MacBook Pro's then the Air's in general. It was about time i found out how to deal with this. And yea, i have a Broadcom 4330, but i may be wrong as i am not currently on the machine and cant remember the proper model.

Regarding audio, all the patchers i have tried dont seem to know anything regarding 76D5, hence why i gave up. But another guide is always a good point to start with.

Thanks a lot Herve, you are a reference point around here :).

PS, regarding the Apple GPM, any values we could use for our GPU, it seems interesting and worth using, no matter what driver i use, i still notice lag time to time.

I used Clover's patch-on-the-fly feature to patch the smbios change for the Wifi and it worked like a charm :)

The Audio and AGPM is too much for me to handle im afraid...

again thanks a lot Herve

Is DSDT read, or extracted, differently if done from UEFI?

The touchpad is behaving very strange with UEFI, it's recognised as a mouse and it lacks a lot of the basic features, no two finger scroll, not even the side bar scrolls, and i cant even hold+drag with, cant drag files from place to place and cant even drag a window slider. Updating VoodooPS2Controller results in no touchpad at all :(...

any ideas?

If i use the first option, should i get rid of VoodooPS2 kexts?

I just noticed the 2nd kext you shared is v1.8.9, the one Dudu packed is v1.8.8, and 1.8.21 is the latest which doesnt seem to work. Why do we have such a weird inconsistency? I stumbled on this while trying to update the kexts, thinking it's better...i hate saying "if it works, dont fix it" :P

the first solution acted a bit weird, the trackbutton in the middle of the keyboard reacted time to time, and the touchpad didnt at all. keyboard worked fine.

second solution is working like a charm, even with two finger scroll, not as a mouse anymore. Injected in clover and also installed the latest daemon from the latest rehabman package, not sure if that made any difference but i am quite a happy camper at the moment :).

Thanks again Herve.

I've reinitiated the DSDT fiasco and really want to get through.

Initially, i instantly used Clovers F4 feature to extract all the stuff, used all the updated RehabMan tools together with MaciASL (patched the app to with the new iasl)

i used two resources to patch my DSDT, the one from dudu, and a file from Olarila, and i stumbled on a lot of errors when saving. First, i thought it might be of due to too much patches, or conflicting ones, so i thought i'd save the files without patching anything, and the issues are there...

Clover, as i logically knows, extracts the pure stuff, nothing in between, no dsdt drops since it does everything before even going for a boot...could it be that Clover copies the DSDT i already use? i highly doubt that however.

ps, if you think this deserves a stand alone thread please let me know.