arsradu

[HOW TO] Fix second stage boot logo and loading bar for some dedicated desktop video cards

389 posts in this topic

I have only 2 parameters in xml file: 

post-722933-0-71483500-1447540661_thumb.png

Is this normal?

I try to add only this string: 

<key>@3,AAPL,boot-display</key>
<string>0x00000001</string>

but this doesn't help.

Advertisement

I have only 2 parameters in xml file: 

attachicon.gifСнимок экрана 2015-11-15 в 1.35.31.png

Is this normal?

I try to add only this string: 

<key>@3,AAPL,boot-display</key>
<string>0x00000001</string>

but this doesn't help.

Video card?

XML?

IOreg?

You need to ADD all the highlighted part in the initial post to the vanilla/stock/untouched xml. 

Videocard gtx780

Here is untouched xml and copy of Ioreg

attachicon.gifioreg&xml.zip

Hi Petr.

Unfortunately the IOreg file appears to be corrupted. Could you please, open up your IOreg locally, search for "display" and post the screenshot of the result here?

Also, please, specify your video card manufacturer and amount of RAM.

attachicon.gifСнимок экрана 2015-11-15 в 2.21.10.png

Here it is! And xml after adding all properties from 1st post.

attachicon.gifdevice-properties.xml

Hi Petr.

You made a few mistakes but I corrected them.

You are not supposed to replace

<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>

with 

<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1c,0x4)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>

They are separate and should remain separate. As as said initially, you just need to add what you need. Leave the rest alone.

The rest of your editing was not bad. :)

Anyway, you can see both xmls in the attachment. You can compare them for yourself.

You can use the content of hex_txt (also in the attachment) to add to your Clover config. It's already generated using the correct xml file.

Hope it works.

GTX_780.zip

Thanks a lot! It works! But between 1st and 2nd stage screen goes black for 4-5 seconds and i can see only "final stage" of 2nd stage :) It takes 1-2 seconds before desktop loads.

So i see this second stage already on deskop)

macbook pro has no delay before stages. whatever thank you again!

Thanks a lot! It works! But between 1st and 2nd stage screen goes black for 4-5 seconds and i can see only "final stage" of 2nd stage :) It takes 1-2 seconds before desktop loads. My macbook has no delay before stages. whatever thank you again!

If you would read a few posts above, you will see this exact issue being discussed. :) It's more or less "intended". Meaning a lot of PC users have it, it happens with some iMacs as well, and so far, now one knows how to fix it. And yes, more often than not, this won't happen with a laptop hack or a Macbook.

Anyway, glad it worked.

If you don't mind, I'll add your GTX 780 to the list of confirmed cards.

Of course!

Could you please, check the amount of VRAM in About this Mac? I think it might show 0MB right now.

If so, please, use the hex_txt in the attachment to fix that.

That was a mistake on my side. :D

hex_txt.txt

I'm pretty sure hda-gfx is not in the initial tutorial. I'm not sure it's the cause of the issue. Probably not. But let's just do it exactly like it is on the first page for once.

So, could you please, try the hex txt in the attachment? Please, make a copy of your current one, just to be safe. And let's see if that makes any difference. Also please, try with and without PatchVbios.

@arsradu I tried the the hex.txt you sent. It went smooth on the first stage but went black for a while then suddenly reboots. I've tried with and without PatchVbios and I get the same blank screen and reboots. Well, maybe I'll have to stick with the loading bar at the center for a while until I figure out how. Thanks for your time. Still looking forward to follow you though.

@arsradu I tried the the hex.txt you sent. It went smooth on the first stage but went black for a while then suddenly reboots. I've tried with and without PatchVbios and I get the same blank screen and reboots. Well, maybe I'll have to stick with the loading bar at the center for a while until I figure out how. Thanks for your time. Still looking forward to follow you though.

Could you please upload your Clover config.plist? You can remove the serials in SMBIOS since I'm not interested in that.

Center loading bar is still a step forward. Let's see if we can get the logo as well.

@arsradu here is my clover config plist you asked. BTW I've tried switching to dvi and still no logo on second stage. Pardon for the delay.

@arsradu here is my clover config plist you asked. BTW I've tried switching to dvi and still no logo on second stage. Pardon for the delay.

Hi there

A few things I don't think you need. And a few things that might fix the issue... So let's see. We can only try.

1. Boot - dart=0. Do you really need this? Probably harmless. But just asking.

2. Boot - rootless=1. Since you set values in Rt Variables, you don't need this. It's also obsolete.

3. GUI - screen resolution is empty. Please, try to set your resolution. And try to do the same for the OS X (in System Preferences)

4. Graphics - I'm not sure it's a good idea to inject Intel & nVidia, both at the same time. Do you even need to inject anything for your card? Just asking...

Also, as an advice: you might want to remove some info in Rt Variables. :) I'm not interested in that. But I'm pretty sure there are other people who are. So...it might be a good idea to either remove that or use fake info.

I ve gtx 760 And i ve the problem to fix the load bar on the corner. I m not very exoert. Could you help me to start?? I v'è Yosemite 10.10

I ve gtx 760 And i ve the problem to fix the load bar on the corner. I m not very exoert. Could you help me to start?? I v'è Yosemite 10.10

That's the purpose of the tutorial. :) To help you get it fixed by yourself. Please, tell me where exactly is it not clear so I can clarify it.

Hey guys. I've got an issue that may or not be related to this one, but I do know for sure that I don't have a second stage boot logo or loading bar, so hopefully fixing that will help fix my issue.

After booting through the first stage (takes a matter of seconds off my SSD in UEFI boot mode), I'm greeted with black screens on all four of my monitors (GTX660 driving three, GT430 driving the other one) and it just hangs there for a good couple of minutes. Once that passes and my screens come back, I'm at the desktop and everything is business as usual.

Think this might be fixable by correcting boot logo? I'm not all that interested in the boot logo, really, I'm just tired of twiddling my thumbs while I wait for my more-than-capable machine to reach the desktop

Hey guys. I've got an issue that may or not be related to this one, but I do know for sure that I don't have a second stage boot logo or loading bar, so hopefully fixing that will help fix my issue.

After booting through the first stage (takes a matter of seconds off my SSD in UEFI boot mode), I'm greeted with black screens on all four of my monitors (GTX660 driving three, GT430 driving the other one) and it just hangs there for a good couple of minutes. Once that passes and my screens come back, I'm at the desktop and everything is business as usual.

Think this might be fixable by correcting boot logo? I'm not all that interested in the boot logo, really, I'm just tired of twiddling my thumbs while I wait for my more-than-capable machine to reach the desktop

Well, you've got 4 monitors to drive out of 2 graphic cards, which are not from the same generation and not really similar in performance. :) Which is not easy. For the boot logo, if the monitors are different resolutions, that might also be why you don't get any logo whatsoever.

Also, as an advice, you might be better off removing one of the graphic cards (I guess the GT 430 would be the less powerful one of the two) and getting some sort of adapter or something to power the 4th monitor, if you really need that many monitors. :) The difference in clock speed and performance might be one of the causes, if not THE cause of you waiting so long. Basically they're out of sync. And I might be very much wrong, but instead of pushing your system up and helping it perform better, you're actually dragging it down, by adding that extra card.

Anyway, to answer your question, no, I don't think this will fix anything for your setup. BUT there is only one way to find out. Take all the necessary precautions and give it a try.

Also, if you want to fix your second stage boot logo (issue described on the first page), what I would do is this:

1. remove one of the cards and choose the more powerful one (would be the logical approach) :D. You can always chose the less powerful one, but I don't really think that's gonna help much, if at all. :))

2. unplug all the monitors but one (you can pick which one you want).

3. give it a try as it is, to see if you have this exact issue or you have another one.

4. if you do, try the steps in the tutorial and see if that makes a difference.

5. if it does (hopefully) you can try adding up monitors (you might need to set multiple monitors as default, which I never tried, since I only have one, so I don't know if it would work, but it might) and see what happens.

Bottom line: start small. Start with the minimum points of failure. And add up elements to the equation. See how that affects the overall performance.

For this thread, a multi-monitor, not to mention multi-graphics setup is a a bit off-topic. :)) Since the tutorial is neither meant for, nor tested, under either one of those conditions.

Well, you've got 4 monitors to drive out of 2 graphic cards, which are not from the same generation and not really similar in performance. :) Which is not easy. For the boot logo, if the monitors are different resolutions, that might also be why you don't get any logo whatsoever.

Also, as an advice, you might be better off removing one of the graphic cards (I guess the GT 430 would be the less powerful one of the two) and getting some sort of adapter or something to power the 4th monitor, if you really need that many monitors. :) The difference in clock speed and performance might be one of the causes, if not THE cause of you waiting so long. Basically they're out of sync. And I might be very much wrong, but instead of pushing your system up and helping it perform better, you're actually dragging it down, by adding that extra card.

Anyway, to answer your question, no, I don't think this will fix anything for your setup. BUT there is only one way to find out. Take all the necessary precautions and give it a try.

Also, if you want to fix your second stage boot logo (issue described on the first page), what I would do is this:

1. remove one of the cards and choose the more powerful one (would be the logical approach) :D. You can always chose the less powerful one, but I don't really think that's gonna help much, if at all. :))

2. unplug all the monitors but one (you can pick which one you want).

3. give it a try as it is, to see if you have this exact issue or you have another one.

4. if you do, try the steps in the tutorial and see if that makes a difference.

5. if it does (hopefully) you can try adding up monitors (you might need to set multiple monitors as default, which I never tried, since I only have one, so I don't know if it would work, but it might) and see what happens.

Bottom line: start small. Start with the minimum points of failure. And add up elements to the equation. See how that affects the overall performance.

For this thread, a multi-monitor, not to mention multi-graphics setup is a a bit off-topic. :)) Since the tutorial is neither meant for, nor tested, under either one of those conditions.

Hey, thanks for the info either way. I'm gonna give it a shot. I know it sounds nuts but I really need my screens… but I might be able to get away with three if I set them up differently. How you like this for a setup

4e7980f7ee5dbf7fa0f3bc1470845def.jpg

Hey, thanks for the info either way. I'm gonna give it a shot. I know it sounds nuts but I really need my screens… but I might be able to get away with three if I set them up differently. How you like this for a setup

Hooooooolyyyyy {censored}, man!! Why the hell didn't you say it like this from the beginning?

So...for this setup, you need:

1. 5 pairs of eyes

2. roughly 5 pairs of hands. but 6 might come in...handy. :)

3. a ginormous brain...or two...

4. a lot of weeeeeed. :))

And "nuts" is not that nuts anymore, when you put it like this. :))

Anyway, back to the topic, man, I'm sorry, but I really don't know what else I could suggest you to try, aside from the things I mentioned in my previous post. Kinda hard to debug such an issue when you have sooo many options for failure. :))

Still, I think the basic rule remains the same: start small. Cause damn you have a lot to add up afterwards!

Yea no kidding lol I'm happy with the fact that it runs perfectly once I get to the desktop… I can wait a few mins, life ain't that short hahaha

Gotta go big when you're tryna be successful… (delete this if inappropriate please) what you guys think about this song I produced…? It's relevant cuz I did it on a hackintosh hahaha http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13257574

Yea no kidding lol I'm happy with the fact that it runs perfectly once I get to the desktop… I can wait a few mins, life ain't that short hahaha

Gotta go big when you're tryna be successful… (delete this if inappropriate please) what you guys think about this song I produced…? It's relevant cuz I did it on a hackintosh hahaha http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13257574

The song's not bad. :) I can PM you a few thoughts on it, if you want. My music expertise, though I am still very much a geek, is not as limited as you might think. :) Still, for this thread, it's not really the place to do that.

Hi arsradu,

i ve a gigabyte Geforce GTX 760 2Gb ram. I was unable to edit the file device-properties.xml. could you help me? Attached display Ioregistry and xml file. Apple Display is on C@2.

could you edit it for me???

post-672329-0-30080300-1453323911_thumb.png

device-properties.xml

Hi arsradu,

i ve a gigabyte Geforce GTX 760 2Gb ram. I was unable to edit the file device-properties.xml. could you help me? Attached display Ioregistry and xml file. Apple Display is on C@2.

could you edit it for me???

attachicon.gifSchermata 2016-01-20 alle 21.59.17.png

Edited. You will need to add the exact maker for your graphics card and the ROM version (you can use GPU-Z on Windows for that, for example).

Also, you will need to use this xml to update your hex file and get the hex code to insert into Clover, as described on the first post.

Don't forget to make a backup of your current config.plist on a memory stick to be able to boot in case something goes wrong.

device-properties.xml