Stuck at gray screen

Hungry_Myst

6 posts in this topic

Ok, well I finally managed to get a JaS patched OS X image off of the internet (Mac-OS-X-10.4.7-AMD.Intel-(JaS)-ISO-Repack to be exact), Bittorent in res wasn’t as bad as I originally feared.

Anyway, after a little fumbling around I managed to get OS X installed on my hard drive (yey!). I even managed to get it to boot, sort of. The problem is when I try to start it after the initial loading screen all I get is this gray screen. I see my mouse, and if I move the arrow keys white boxes will show up in the center of the screen as if I were scrolling trough a list (which I think I am). The only thing I can think of is a graphics card/driver problem, but I don’t know. I also don’t know if any of the “blue screen” fixes would help.

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 6400 and in the Device Manager my graphics card shows up as “Mobil Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family”. I can’t remember exactly what I checked in the configuration screen before installing, but it was just the essentials (I think Essential System Software, 10.4.7.Combo.Update, and INTEL.SSE3 but I could be wrong).

Any help to set me in the right direction would be appreciated.

I tried it again this morning. I got a black screen, but in the upper right hand corner there was a great big apple-style X, but it was purple and elongated. In the lower left hand side of the screen there was a massive elongated rectangle (white). I also had my mouse pointer (I think), I'm going to try re-installing with one of the graphics options installed.

Well, I loaded up the install DVD again and tried selecting another add-on package. I randomly picked the last one (ATI something) even tough I’m pretty sure I don’t have an ATI card. Not surprisingly it didn’t work, but this time when OS X loaded I was meet with great big slices of polygons emanating from the top-left corner of the screen. So that solidifies my assumption that there is a graphics card/driver problem. All there is left is to fix it. I’ll be spending a lot of time on Google and these forums today but I would also be grateful if someone here was willing to help.

What options did you choose to install during this whole process?

Also, you can run the boot-up process in verbose mode by hitting F8 right before the grey Apple screen (or whatever you're getting). You have to figure out when to start tapping F8, usually right after POST, when any other bootloader would show up. Darwin's bootloader doesn't give you much time. If you get that far, you'll see the startup options screen and you can use the -v switch to run verbose mode. (-x will give you safe mode, too, if that's something you want to try.)

I can’t remember exactly, but it was basic stuff (like 10.4.7.Combo.Update and INTEL.SSE3) I also went back and added 2 graphics card updates (ATI something and Radeon something), of course neither worked.

When I use the –v option I don’t see any problems, the problem is after it boots the display is messed up. When I boot into safe mode (the –x option) everything works perfectly (well, as far as display goes).