Graphic card recommendations

3 posts in this topic

I have been working for the past two weeks attempting to get a Diamond Stealth Radeon 9250-PCI card to support QE/CI at 1600x1200x32. So far, there is no joy.

I have tried most all of the solutions I could locate in these fora and so far, nothing has worked. The only way I can even get the card recognized as Radeon 9200 with 256Mb ram is by using the Callisto drivers and even that is not completely correct.

My display is an IBM 17" P72 (6556) CRT. However, I have never been able to extract it's EDID data and so I let it default to the string in the Callisto driver which is for a 20" LCD display. That gets a reasonable resolution, but still no QE/CI support. See the Spec below:

Radeon 9200 Pro:
 Chipset Model:	Radeon 9200 Pro
 Type:	Display
 Bus:	PCI
 Slot:	PCI Slot #1 - J1001I
 VRAM (Total):	256 MB
 Vendor:	ATI (0x1002)
 Device ID:	0x5960
 Revision ID:	0x0001
 Displays:
Cinema Display:
 Display Type:	LCD
 Resolution:	1680 x 1050
 Depth:	32-bit Color
 Core Image:	Not Supported
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes
 Quartz Extreme:	Not Supported

So, I have decided to try a different approach. I will buy a different graphics card if anyone can tell me a combination of PCI card and drivers that will support QE/CI on JaS 10.4.8

Of course, if someone knows a driver hack that works for the card I have that would be appreciated also :compress:

Maybe I asked the wrong question. Let me ask a different question.

Does anyone have a PCI (not PCIe or AGP) graphice card with working QE/CI ? If so, could you tell me what make/model it is and which .kext packages and patches you used to get it working?

I would *really* appreciate the input. TIA

Maybe I asked the wrong question. Let me ask a different question.

Does anyone have a PCI (not PCIe or AGP) graphice card with working QE/CI ? If so, could you tell me what make/model it is and which .kext packages and patches you used to get it working?

I would *really* appreciate the input. TIA

No Radeon before the 9500 supported core image so the best you could hope for would be quartz extreme. I have never seen any PCI Radeons after the 9200. People have managed to get quartz extreme and core image on PCI PPC macs using a modified ROM on both the geforce 5200 and 5500 so if Macvidia driver ever comes through you may have a chance with one of those. One of the reasons Apple never enable quartz on PCI macs was that it totally saturated the PCI bus and could on occasion actually slow down system performance. It was really only practical on the Yosemite G3 as it provided a 66mhz PCI slot.