Subby

[HELP!?] Sony VAIO VPCF1 Nvidia GT 425m (HDMI only no LCD)

101 posts in this topic

Try to find out a smbios that match better with your hardware, use the first DSDT and check if HDMI output works with another smbios, that would be a good start.

thank you for all the time you have put in trying to help me! :)

it seems we are at a dead end as i can not boot to hdmi with the first dsdt! :(

i have tried all the smbios's from M_B (i get a range of booting and being able to screen share to no access at all unless i boot with nv_disable=1)

i did read about AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext patching to work with your smbios of choice, but was unable to find a tutorial on how to do it

like i said! thank you so much for your time and input!

if i get any extra info i will add it to this thread!!

:)

all the best

Subz

Advertisement

@ Subby

Please attach here a full Darwin Dumper Report (make it private). I try to generate a property string for your GT425m. I need some days, til I get the time to do it.

Have fun.

@ Subby

Please attach here a full Darwin Dumper Report (make it private). I try to generate a property string for your GT425m. I need some days, til I get the time to do it.

Have fun.

Hi and thank you!

attached is my DDR

if you need me to run anything from Windows i can do that!

and i can download a live distro of linux if needed!

Subz

DarwinDumperReports.zip

@ Subby

Please don´t use the tools and Bootloader you have used til now. The bootloader seems to have other default values then the other versions of Chameleon and is therefore not compatible with the here used methods. Besides it does not fully support NVDA gfx. These are not supported here.

1. Change your bootloader to one of the latest versions of Chameleon or Enoch here from Downloads.

2. Do a default install of the new bootloader.

3. Then copy the attached org.chameleon.boot.plist and SMBios.plist to the Extra folder on your hdd. If you don´t have a FHD display you have to correct before the values of the key "Graphics Mode" from "1920x1080x32" for HD+ to "1600x900x32" or for HD to "1366x768x32" in the org.chameleon.boot.plist. You can use TextEdit for this task.

4. Reboot with bootflags -f -v.

5. If your internal LCD ist not activated after rebooting try to find the "tc.tctechnologies.driver.Saffire" kext in S/L/E and put it to trash. After that reboot with flags -f -v again.

Please report back.

Have fun.

Subby.zip

@ Subby

Please don´t use the tools and Bootloader you have used til now. The bootloader seems to have other default values then the other versions of Chameleon and is therefore not compatible with the here used methods. Besides it does not fully support NVDA gfx. These are not supported here.

1. Change your bootloader to one of the latest versions of Chameleon or Enoch here from Downloads.

2. Do a default install of the new bootloader.

3. Then copy the attached org.chameleon.boot.plist and SMBios.plist to the Extra folder on your hdd. If you don´t have a FHD display you have to correct before the values of the key "Graphics Mode" from "1920x1080x32" for HD+ to "1600x900x32" or for HD to "1366x768x32" in the org.chameleon.boot.plist. You can use TextEdit for this task.

4. Reboot with bootflags -f -v.

5. If your internal LCD ist not activated after rebooting try to find the "tc.tctechnologies.driver.Saffire" kext in S/L/E and put it to trash. After that reboot with flags -f -v again.

Please report back.

Have fun.

Hi & thanks for your help!

i have followed your instructions (i think)

i deleted Saffire.kext from the extensions folder installed new boot loader put both the files in the extra folder (no dsdt in there!?) (overwriting org.chameleon.boot.plist with the one you attached)

i left Graphics Mode" as "1920x1080x32" as this is the resolution i get in Windows (i did try "1600x900x32" but it made no difference)

and i booted with -v -f

but i get no laptop screen or hdmi,

i can get in to the laptop via screen share and i made another DDR booting from the files you attached (not sure if it is any use?!)

​thank you again for your time! (and patience)

Subz

DarwinDumperReports.zip

Hi,

read this #74  

I was able to use internal LCD with GeForce8400M GT with QE/CI enabled on my notebook Sony Vaio VGN-FZ21M.

( it was since 2007 when i bought the notebook that i was looking for the solution ....)

PippoX0

Hello!

Try to boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes (with and without the device properties string). As ever boot with flags -f -v.

Have fun.

Hi & thank you again for your time!

i did try GraphicsEnabler=Yes and different combinations of the smbios (the one you attached and the one that workes (MacPro3.1) and the old boot pllst i had!

just tried dropping the string from the boot pllst and booting with -v -f GraphicsEnabler=Yes and the smbios you attached with no secess

however if i use my old MacPro3,1 smbios i can boot to the hdmi card (only after i drop the string from the boot.pllst though) (and boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes)

not sure if this info is of any use?

thanks again

Subz

Hi,

read this #74  

I was able to use internal LCD with GeForce8400M GT with QE/CI enabled on my notebook Sony Vaio VGN-FZ21M.

( it was since 2007 when i bought the notebook that i was looking for the solution ....)

PippoX0

Hi,

i did read that before making this post but it was sooo far over my head! :(

i did post my system dsdt extract & EDID in the first post, & jl4c had a go at making it for me,

i tried to get my head around dsdt! watched a few videos, but they all lost me from early in!

thank you for posting the link though!!

and taking the time to try and help me!

Subz

DarwinDumper_2.9.9b13_Chameleon_2.3_X64_Yos_subz.zip

Hi Admin, why do I get this error message when I try to download this file?

think it was my fault!! (same happened when i tried to download it)

i think i attached it (via edit post) and closed my browser before actually posting

should work now

Subz

insert the attached ROM file in the Extra - folder, then Install Chameleon bootloader and go into the VIDEO folder and put the check mark:

• use NvidiaRom = yes
  • VBIOS = YES,

PS: install the SystemInfo.app and start the app, then check the vendor ID and device ID of your nvidia 460m with the name of the ROM file.

try to test

10de_0dd1.rom.zip

insert the attached ROM file in the Extra - folder, then Install Chameleon bootloader and go into the VIDEO folder and put the check mark:

• use NvidiaRom = yes
  • VBIOS = YES,

PS: install the SystemInfo.app and start the app, then check the vendor ID and device ID of your nvidia 460m with the name of the ROM file.

try to test

Hi, and thanks for your help and time!

i did as you said (i think)

so in the extra folder all i had was the rom file and the boot.pllst

key>UseNvidiaROM</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>VBIOS</key>

<string>Yes</string>

i have no screens working (LCD or HDMI) but can get in via screenshare, 

NVIDIA Chip Model:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA Chip Model

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0df0

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: preset 1.0.0

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

i see '10de' is this good or bad news?

thanks for the help i am most grateful to all of you who have taken time to help me!

any idea's?

Subz

EDIT Just found System Info app

Ven ID is '10de' but Dev ID is '0df0'

in my testing i have just noticed that if i go back to my old setup (the one where the HDMI works) the vga also works

i have made a DDR and attached it as it has different EDID info that may be of use to you guys?

due to the design of this laptop i am not able to test if both screens work at the same time

looking at the DEV & ROM ID i get the feeling the last rom i tested did not load?

Sony GeForce GT 425M:

Chipset Model: Sony GeForce GT 425M

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

ROM Revision: 70.08.19.00.47

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

SystemInfo.app gives the same info with this boot that does not use the rom you attached,

any idea's? 

Subz

DarwinDumper_2.9.9b13_Chameleon_2.3_X64_Yos_subz.zip

Maybe you could give a try to Clover and read this thread. Didn't work for my VAIO VPCF13M0E but it's an issue due to a corrupted EDID in my case :unsure:.

Since you did extract yours successfully, it should work for you, hopefully ;).

Maybe you could give a try to Clover and read this thread. Didn't work for my VAIO VPCF13M0E but it's an issue due to a corrupted EDID in my case :unsure:.

Since you did extract yours successfully, it should work for you, hopefully ;).

Hi,

that thread is one i read before posting here,

i did try the clover inject EDID method (with no success)

i also tried some of the dsdt's from that thread before posting here,

to date the only way i have got the screen to not turn off (completely off no back light) is with nv_disable=1

Subz

So welcome on the same damn boat :hysterical:

I gave up for my part. Only way is to connect it via HDMI or VGA.

BTW, how did you managed to have your USB 3 ports working ? I tried everything I know so far (various GenericUSBXHCI.kext actually) but no way, nothing mount on desktop :wacko:.

Change 10de_0dd1.rom in 10de_0df0.rom and add additional EFI string in your org.chameleon.boot.plist

Change 10de_0dd1.rom in 10de_0df0.rom and add additional EFI string in your org.chameleon.boot.plist

sorry but how do i "add additional EFI string in your org.chameleon.boot.plist"

what do i need to add?

00FFFFFF FFFFFF00 367F2500 00000000 2D0C0104 90241400 EAA8E099 574B9225 1C505400 00000101 01010101 01010101 01010101 01014038 80B47038 40403C3C 550068C8 10000018 40388080 7138AA40 80808800 68C81000 00180000 00FC004E 76696469 61204465 6661756C 000000FC 00742046 6C617420 50616E65 6C00001F 

or 

AP///////wA2fyUAAAAAAC0MAQSQJBQA6qjgmVdLkiUcUFQAAAABAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEB

AQEBQDiAtHA4QEA8PFUAaMgQAAAYQDiAgHE4qkCAgIgAaMgQAAAYAAAA/ABOdmlkaWEg

RGVmYXVsAAAA/AB0IEZsYXQgUGFuZWwAAB8=

and how do i format it? (key/string/data?)

can i stick with Chameleon or do i need to Instal Clover?

this is what i currently have

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>UseNvidiaROM</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>VBIOS</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

i have renamed 10de_0dd1.rom to 10de_0df0.rom i assume that was what you meant? 

sorry i am such a novice!

and thanks for your help!!

Subz

org.chameleon.Boot.plist.zip

Download OSx86Tools.app here: https://code.google.com/p/osx86tools/downloads/detail?name=OSX86Tools_1.0.150.zip  then start the app, and see the video how to do that. www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tQCrsRgQEw 

That's it!

This is a very easy to use tools, which is very useful to create a Custom efi string.

Edit:

I'm on the road and just write from my smartphone, so I can not open, read and edit everything.

Download OSx86Tools.app here: https://code.google.com/p/osx86tools/downloads/detail?name=OSX86Tools_1.0.150.zip  then start the app, and see the video how to do that. www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tQCrsRgQEw 

That's it!

This is a very easy to use tools, which is very useful to create a Custom efi string.

i get

"System Events got an error: Can’t get property list item "Kernel" of property list file "/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist". (-1728)"

when i try to 'Apply changes to com.apple.boot.plist

i am playing with "Save as XML" and copy pasting to org.chameleon.Boot.plist   (not sure if any of this will work!)

i have attached the Hex and XML as all help is most welcome!! :)

thank you again for your time!

Subz

EDIT: i just saw your edit! Thank You for the time! i will keep trying while your on the road!

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>

<dict>

<key>@0,compatible</key>

<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>

<key>@0,device_type</key>

<string>display</string>

<key>@0,name</key>

<string>NVDA,Display-A</string>

<key>@1,compatible</key>

<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>

<key>@1,device_type</key>

<string>display</string>

<key>@1,name</key>

<string>NVDA,Display-B</string>

<key>NVCAP</key>

<data>

BAAAAAAAAwAMAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=

</data>

<key>NVPM</key>

<data>

AQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==

</data>

<key>VRAM,totalsize</key>

<string>0x20000000</string>

<key>device_type</key>

<string>NVDA,Parent</string>

<key>model</key>

<string>GeForce GT 425M</string>

<key>name</key>

<string>display</string>

<key>rom-revision</key>

<string>GeForce GT 425M OpenGL Engine [EFI]</string>

</dict>

<key>UseNvidiaROM</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>VBIOS</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Archive.zip

try this dsdt and report

Hi & Thank You!!

i will be there in 20 minutes to test his. just wondering what (if any) smbios to use and should i use the  org.chameleon.Boot.plist i posted above or the old one that worked with HDMI?

if i do not hear from you by the time i get there i will try all combinations and report back

thank you again!!

Subz

It may well be possible that more adjustments are required to adjust. test, then we'll see.

I have read the contents of your Nvidia Graphics ROM file and have a different value for NVCAP obtained when the content of your untitled.plist file.
the value read is: 04000000 00000200 00000000 00000007 00000000
and from thy untitled.plist is: 04000000 00000300 00000007 00000000 0c000000

... when your system boot with the dsdt, then check the details for the graphics card, if everything is displayed correctly,then that's fine.  if not, then we need to modify the value in to DSDT.aml.

Edit:

you still need to adjust the org.chameleon.boot.plist, ---> boot flags! I have not registered
I do not know what OS X system you have installed.

if you use this boot plist for Yosemite, then change the path of the kernel and the kernel name.!!

PS: you need not constantly give thanks .... that's okay :)

Edited by spakk

It may well be possible that more adjustments are required to adjust. test, then we'll see.

edit:

you still need to adjust the org.chameleon.boot.plist, ---> boot flags! I have not registered

I do not know what OS X system you have installed.

if you use this boot plist for Yosemite, then change the path of the kernel and the kernel name.!!

PS: you need not constantly give thanks .... that's okay :)

tried a few different combinations but still no LCD or HDMI, but this is different!

nVidia GeForce 425M GT:

Chipset Model: nVidia GeForce 425M GT

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

ROM Revision: nVidia GeForce 425M GT OpenGL Engine

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

GraphicsEnabler yes or no made no difference!

Subz

HDMI I have not yet inserted, I'm changing it.

So VRAM (Total) is displayed correctly?

Edited by spakk

HDMI I have not yet inserted, I'm changing it.

thank you!

So VRAM (Total) is displayed correctly?

Yes! :)

EDIT: not sure if this is any use but confirming the correct vram total i popped in my windows drive,

2'nd EDIT: from there i see the Device ID: is '10DE 0DF0 907A104D'

not sure if that number at the end is any use to you?