Windows Server 2003 on MBP

Korrupted

33 posts in this topic

two things:

press Win(Cmd)+U and bring up the onscreen keyboard and get your combination in that way. You might have to click ctl+alt on your keyboard and use your cursor for del. not sure, don't have a mbp to try it on (will if you send me one :) )

and download a program called input remapper, get it at http://www.olofsson.info/

Uses the default keypad like in OSX. This includes num-lock functionality

fn+Left Click = Right Click

fn+Backspace = Delete

fn+Eject = PrintScreen

fn+F1 = Decrease Brightness

fn+F2 = Increase Brightness

fn+F3 = Toggle Mute

fn+F4 = Decrease Volume

fn+F5 = Increase Volume

fn+F6 = Toggle Num-Lock

fn+Up = Page Up

fn+Down = Page Down

fn+Left = Home

fn+Right = End

Eject = Eject all optical discs

Enter = Right mouse button=

i run a version of server 2003 on my mini, but it's modified to be like xp in usability. it also includes MAJOR improvements in performance (55mb ram usage on first boot). it's like the exact opposite of vista...FAST!

i run a version of server 2003 on my mini, but it's modified to be like xp in usability. it also includes MAJOR improvements in performance (55mb ram usage on first boot). it's like the exact opposite of vista...FAST!

Thats why i sent it to him... :D, oh, and the remapper wouldnt help him as its first login and you cant install it with out logging in first... :) well.... the ctrl alt u will work

thanks

max

Thats why i sent it to him... :D, oh, and the remapper wouldnt help him as its first login and you cant install it with out logging in first... :) well.... the ctrl alt u will work

thanks

max

yeah, i figured the win+u could get him through the first login and then the remapper would make it easier after that.

server 2003 through bootcamp is cool, but it's a pain to get some of the drivers and programs working. had to get a hacked version of wmp 11 and took about 3 weeks to find an audio driver that would work. it was worth it though and kind of fun getting everything to run smothly. now i sorta know why some people love building hackintoshes :D

yeah, i figured the win+u could get him through the first login and then the remapper would make it easier after that.

server 2003 through bootcamp is cool, but it's a pain to get some of the drivers and programs working. had to get a hacked version of wmp 11 and took about 3 weeks to find an audio driver that would work. it was worth it though and kind of fun getting everything to run smothly. now i sorta know why some people love building hackintoshes :)

Idk if hes tried it yet, but i do remember that that should work... :D thanks, and i installed it on a windows box

oh, and for people who want to make server 2003 their workstation, heres a great guide

http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/

i can also give people the link for the version i use (Windows eXPericence Edition). i won't post the link here for obvious reasons, but pm me if you want it. it's about 400-500 mb (don't remember exactly) and works fine with bootcamp. it also passes validation with M$, so you can update it. it's was especially made with gamers in mind (half life 2 levels load in like a third of the time on xp!).

Any ideas on how to run the XP drivers installer on 2003? That one's got me stumped as well.

sorry, i haven't figured that out yet. i had to find most of the drivers myself, got most of them from the Great Driver Hunt thread. i've tried changing the setttings so that the setup program ran in compatability mode for xp, but it wouldn't work. i just got sound to work tonight.

if you want to install wmp 11 beta 2, you can get it at: http://rapidshare.de/files/31891138/Media_...2_W2K3.exe.html

i'll keep trying to find a way to get the drivers to install, as keyboard support for volume and disc eject would be nice :2cents:

I heard you can remove the OS checks with installshield professional, with the MSI file, but I've no idea how to use it. Could anyone kindly guide me in the right direction? Google seems to only have really outdated tutorials.

this is the only thing i've found so far:

XP is required to run the file “Install Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP.exe” on the Apple Driver CD. To bypass this, run the file in Administrative Install mode and extract the files to a directory by doing the following: Start -> Run -> “D:\Install Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP.exe” /V /a -> Extract your drivers to C:\Install Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP

In C:\Install Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP, you will see two folders System32 and Program Files. Copy the files within System32 to C:\Windows\system32 and the files within program files to C:\Program Files

got it from http://blog.netnerds.net/2006/05/run-windo...n-your-macbook/

it doesn't look like there is a lot of info for putting server 2003 on a mac. guess that means not many people have done it. maybe they know something we don't :lol:

edit :

just found this too. they have some (not all) the drivers for certain mac systems.

http://wiki.onmac.net/index.php/Users/Drivers

i can also give people the link for the version i use (Windows eXPericence Edition). i won't post the link here for obvious reasons, but pm me if you want it. it's about 400-500 mb (don't remember exactly) and works fine with bootcamp. it also passes validation with M$, so you can update it. it's was especially made with gamers in mind (half life 2 levels load in like a third of the time on xp!).

lol i hacked the trial iso myself so its a full version except it accepts the trial key in place of a (insert paid for version here) key ;) works like a charm every time.

max

p.s. ive tried that one too but i prefer to hack my own isos :2cents:

Well I've got a majority of the items running, but I cannot figure out which unknown device is my wireless card. Any tips?

i think that it labeled as an ethernet controller, but as soon as i get a chance to get on the machine i have it on, i'll check and see.

yeah, it should be labeled as an ethernet controller. if it's not, you may also be able to find which device is the wireless card is by it's location. right click on one of the unknown devices and select properties. if you look under location, you should be able to find the card because it should be in a pci slot.

Well, one says PCI Slot 2(PCI bus 3, device 0, function0), and the other says 'on PCI standard ISA bridge.' Any ideas on which one is which? Also, which atheros driver should I use once I find it? There are like 10.

my guess would be the first device there. if it doesn't work you can always try the other one :2cents:

as for which driver, i had a big list to pick from too. i narrowed it down because only a few of them said they were a/b/g compatible in the name, and all of them seem to do the same thing (i tried all of them). i don't know what the list looks like, but try to find some with "a/b/g" and "pci express" (or just "pci") in the name. you might have to play around with them a bit before you find one that works right... hope this helps :blink:

EDIT: Ok, the wireless works. Any idea on how to get the internal mic to work now? It worked when I had windows XP installed. I have the sigmatel audio already setup.

can you set it up from the audio properties? you should be able to select the the microphone from the line-in list. that's if everything is working of course....

from what little i've read about the mic, it seems to work fine in xp with boot camp, but people are having trouble getting it to work anywhere else (either works right in the beginning or not at all). i haven't found anyone that's gotten it to work yet, but i do, hopefully they have how they got it that way.

Under the voice test, the input volume is greyed out, so obviously, it's not recognizing it. Here are the remaining devices:

PCI Device(PCI bus 0, device 7, function 0)

SM Bus Controller(PCI bus 0, device 31, function 3)

Unknown Device(on M$ ACPI-Compliant system)

Unknown Device(on PCI standard ISA bridge)

USB Device(Location 0 [uSB device])

Under the voice test, the input volume is greyed out, so obviously, it's not recognizing it. Here are the remaining devices:

PCI Device(PCI bus 0, device 7, function 0)

SM Bus Controller(PCI bus 0, device 31, function 3)

Unknown Device(on M$ ACPI-Compliant system)

Unknown Device(on PCI standard ISA bridge)

USB Device(Location 0 [uSB device])

pci device or maybe (doubt it...) usb device.... sm bus controller is a mobo thing, so are probly the 2 unknown devices...