chatdeau

HP Z400/Z600/Z800 Workstations OS X 10.10.x/10.11.x Installation

1,499 posts in this topic

On 2/7/2020 at 11:58 PM, Rocky12 said:

hi stefanza nice to see you again i have added some kexts to your EFI folder the kext which i marked with red colour you can remove them from EFI

for Audio now you can use AppleALC +Lilu kext Layout ID 28 is already Added to your Config.Plist 

i have add usbinjectall.kext but you need to read how to use

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-USB-Inject-All

For AppleALC you need vanilla AppleHDA kext in your system libary Extention  because it dosen,t work with patched AppleHDA kext 

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext you don,t need in your EFI folder when use clover Patch

EFI worked with 3.91.zip

Screenshot 2020-02-08 at 00.47.55.png

Thanks for all your efforts on this.  Works well.

Advertisement

I had a crack at Opencore on the Z400.  It's a nice toolchain and will be handy for future hackintosh platforms, but I haven't got to the graphic installer yet.  I did get a login screen for the existing Mojave install, but frozen.

One problem is that OC support starts at Ivy Bridge.  My impression is there's a fair chance it can be cajoled into working with Westmere though.

Back to Clover for the moment.

Hey Rocky12, unfortunately I'm sick at the moment.  I'd like to get back to the Z400 when I have the energy.  I'll post back here when that happens.  Clover's actually stuffed on it too now for whatever reason and inexplicably I don't have a good backup, so I'll have a nice puzzle on my hands when I get the time :-)

19 hours ago, pohutakawa said:

Hey Rocky12, unfortunately I'm sick at the moment.  I'd like to get back to the Z400 when I have the energy.  I'll post back here when that happens.  Clover's actually stuffed on it too now for whatever reason and inexplicably I don't have a good backup, so I'll have a nice puzzle on my hands when I get the time :-)

okay no problem wish you good luck when give it a try

Thanks Rocky12.  The plot thickens - I've been donated a Sandy Bridge imac in need of repair which outguns the Z400 in the studio, so if that's a goer I will probably cut the Z400 over to a BSD or Linux.

I've attached a screenshot of the files in EFI I was using to make the OC installer.  Also the config.plist.  The DSDT and SSDT are the ones Jaymack shared in this thread for the Z400.

With this setup the installer was booting in text mode and letting me choose my boot drive/partition, and seemed to work ok up to the point where the macos installer wanted to go graphical, then I got the No Smoking sign.  Tried a Quadro 600 or K600 I forget which, but it had been working before with Clover.  Also a Radeon 570, same result.  Then I got sick.

Hope this is some use!

Cheers

Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 9.37.47 pm.png

config.plist

Hi,

I am trying to build a Clover config to boot and install Catalina to my z400 Workstation and I keep hitting the same bricks wall with it not finding the root partition after the kernel startup.

I'm a little stuck, as it doesn't find the USB installer or an installer on a SATA disk on the internal SATA ports either. The config of the system is:

HP z400

BIOS latest version

12GB DDR3 RAM at 1333MHz

Xeon L5640 (6-core, 12 thread, 2.27GHz, 60W)

NVIDIA GeForce 1060 6GB (EVGA)

- this card works with Catalina in my other Hackintosh albeit not ideally (I swapped it for my RX580 in the end and didn't pursue figuring that out).

I built a Catalina install SATA disk and installed Clover to it (didn't use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] as it doesn't work on SATA drives). It boots the z400 okay into Clover either on SATA or USB via a bridge.

No matter what I try I just get the 'still waiting for root device.' message and nothing starts.

I have prepped a Ubuntu USB stick if that is needed to grab DSDT and SSDT info (although I confess I'm not totally sure what these are for) and an lspci log.

Any help is appreciated!

Interesting. Especially the last one is almost exactly what I did, maybe I will clean up and redo my USB drive and try again.

One problem that I do see with using ‘Mojave’ instructions for Catalina is that Catalina refuses to install if I set the SMBIOS ID to MacPro 5,1 because that model is not supported in Catalina? Is there a fix to bypass that check?

@THEOLDSHARK i am sorry my friend if i hurt you, you was never meant to be the one because you are one of the active user but there are lots of other user then you

no doubt i can understand you but over all is the same situation 

Well, the imac turned out to be a bit munted and jeez they are horrible to work on inside.  I decided not to sink more time or money into that one.

A good deal on a Z440 came up, and over the weekend I've got OpenCore booting Mojave on that nicely.  Following the excellent guide at https://khronokernel-2.gitbook.io/opencore-vanilla-desktop-guide/ made it pretty easy the second time around.  The concerted effort on solid doco for OpenCore is a huge improvement over scratching one's head with some of the Clover setup.  The Haswell-E setting section works properly with the E5-1650v3.

I started with Catalina, and it was running fine except for waking from sleep - I think the AMD GPU support is still a bit problematic there.  Along with several serious gripes about Catalina from people on factory Macs, I also have some older kit in the studio and wasn't prepared to give up 32 bit support just yet.  Sleep and wake seems ok on Mojave.

After making an SSDT for the USB ports the only issue is the onboard Realtek not being found by the OS.  I'm not fussed by this right now because I'll be using external audio I/O.

If I get time I'll see about backporting my OpenCore efforts to the Z400.

For now I'm attaching my EFI and config for the Z440 in case that helps anyone.  Note you'll need to sort out your own entries in the SMBIOS section.  Mine is running an Asus RX570, 32GB RDIMMs and is booting from an intel 760 512GB NVMe SSD.

Cheers

EFI.zip

config.plist

Posted (edited)
ALC221 

ALC221 Audio Patch to apply to your extracted DSDT

Code:
Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
            {
                If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero)) { Return (Buffer() { 0x03 } ) }
                Return (Package()
                {
                    "device-id", Buffer() { 0x20, 0x1E, 0x00, 0x00 },
                    "layout-id", Buffer() { 11, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 },
                    "codec-id", Buffer() { 0x21, 0x02, 0xEC, 0x10 },
                    "hda-gfx", Buffer() { "onboard-1" },
                    "name", Buffer() { "pci8086,1e20" },
                    "built-in", Buffer() { 0x00 },
                    "PinConfigurations", Buffer() { 0x40, 0x40, 0x2b, 0x00, 0x30, 0x01, 0x10, 0x90, 0x10, 0x30, 0x8b, 0x00, 0x60, 0x90, 0xab, 0x01, 0xe0, 0x00, 0x56, 0x28 },
                    //"MaximumBootBeepVolume", 77,
                })
            }

ALC221 HDEF DSDT Edits.png

Edited by Rocky12

Posted (edited)

HP Z440 ALC 221

@MacPeet hi MacPeet thanks buddy i understand what you mean but both machine sharing the same ALC221 chip for hp z440 you need to create a SSDT to get the on board Audio with the help of this patch and for other machine just add the patch to DSDT that’s all

not for HP Z400/Z600/Z800

Edited by Rocky12

Thanks for finding the ALC221 patch Rocky12, I appreciate it.  It's actually set up with a MOTU audio interface in the studio which works fine with their drivers.  If I find a use for the onboard sound at all I'll give it a whirl.

I also did the monthly opencore update to 0.5.7 following their manual and everything's still running fine.

Cheers

On 2/7/2020 at 10:26 AM, stefanza said:

Hi Rocky12, Thanks for all the great help and support which has helped me considerably since El Capitan.  I have a Z800 Bios 3.91 2*X5690 Quadro 4000 which I have just rebuilt as Mojave with a very simple setup based on guidance from Sierra.  Have attached by Base EFI for anyone who has a Z800 3.91 Bios machine. 

This setup works but I wondered what would you recommend as the best combination of kexts for Mojave?

Thanks.

(Also have a Z820 2*E5-2670v2 Mojave using Lilo etc)

EFI worked with 3.91.zip

Just a simple question about this Post... To my knowledge the most updated bios version for the HP Z800 is the 3.61... Why do you mention the 3.91? (the fact is that this motherboard only has the 3.61 version as the most updated one)

Posted (edited)

Hey there, I am trying to install Catalina on my Z800

Specs:

Latest Bios 3.61

2x X5690

48GB RAM

1x 128GB SSD

2x2 TB HDD

Gigabyte RX 570 8GB

What am I doing wrong? Tried several different EFI Folders I've found.

EDIT:

I've managed to install Mac OS Catalina with my older GTX1050ti, but it's not well supported in Catalina so I went back trying with the RX570.

No luck so far. I guess I have to patch my DSDT? But I am very new to this.

Edited by FabianZettl

On 5/17/2020 at 6:13 AM, YESHUADONAI said:

Just a simple question about this Post... To my knowledge the most updated bios version for the HP Z800 is the 3.61... Why do you mention the 3.91? (the fact is that this motherboard only has the 3.61 version as the most updated one)

Apologies - a typo.

It is 3.61.

14 hours ago, FabianZettl said:

Hey there, I am trying to install Catalina on my Z800

Specs:

Latest Bios 3.61

2x X5690

48GB RAM

1x 128GB SSD

2x2 TB HDD

Gigabyte RX 570 8GB

What am I doing wrong? Tried several different EFI Folders I've found.

EDIT:

I've managed to install Mac OS Catalina with my older GTX1050ti, but it's not well supported in Catalina so I went back trying with the RX570.

No luck so far. I guess I have to patch my DSDT? But I am very new to this.

The EFI I posted is for 3.61 (not 3.91 which was a type). Have you tried using the files from that?

Posted (edited)

Thanks for your reply Stefanza. I did numerous times now.

Did it right now again.

Installed Catalina to my USB via "create install media" (USB 2.0 16GB Sandisk Stick)

Install Clover to USB, Copied your EFI Folter to USB

Plugged in the back USB port of my Z800.

Booted via USB, My RX570 is connected via HDMI.

This time I only get the stop sign...

verbose: This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform

EDIT: So I've changed SMBIOS to the trash can MacPro

This time its crashing here, and gives the stop sign soon afterwards

I had an installation earlier today, don't know what I do different all the other times :D

IMG20200605144535.jpg

Edited by FabianZettl

After a lot of work and testing I have a running system.

Here are my specs, and my EFI for everyone with a similar Z800 System.

The Install Stick was created with the macOS Catalina Patcher. (Catalin was also downloaded with the Patcher)

EFI BACKUP Z800.zip

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-06 um 16.44.51.png

On 6/6/2020 at 4:46 PM, FabianZettl said:

After a lot of work and testing I have a running system.

Here are my specs, and my EFI for everyone with a similar Z800 System.

The Install Stick was created with the macOS Catalina Patcher. (Catalin was also downloaded with the Patcher)

EFI BACKUP Z800.zip

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-06 um 16.44.51.png

@FabianZettl have you used some fix from the patcher? is yes wich one?

tnks

Posted (edited)

@freek 

Better to explain your problem maybe someone other can help you 

This time I did my installation with  Catalina Patcher tool I only use the patcher tool for downloading Catalina full installer 

second step was to prepare my USB pen drive with the help of this tool in my config.plist I am only using clover patches and kext boot args no compat check  SMBios  Mac pro 5,1 

Screenshot 2020-06-19 at 20.24.02.png

Edited by Rocky12