chatdeau

HP Z400/Z600/Z800 Workstations OS X 10.10.x/10.11.x Installation

1,318 posts in this topic

Yeah. I imagine that.

But the pen drive installation works with this. 
Only the USB ports doesn`t work when I boot from the HD.

In fact, I am trying everything to make this work.

Also, my Clover installation says that version is incompatible with the system I am using to generate the pen drive (VMware on Sierra).

Advertisement

Rockey12, I got regular KP on Clover boot with this file inside Clover.

Now I will stop to try on Sierra and begin to try High Sierra. Is more logical.

The sad thing is this Z800 have an awful initial boot time. 25sec to the bios screen.
:P 

Hope someone can help you out there Rockey12!

For those interested in upgrading from 10.12 to 10.13 in place (no USB stick needed), here's my recipe for the Z800 and Z400.

I chose to give APFS a go on the Z800 with the Samsung EVO 850 primary drive since others had reported it was working ok.  I'd previously run trimforce enable and left it in place.  It seems happy enough at this stage, boots fast and system generally responsive.  Same impression with the Intel 320 SSDs though time will tell.  APFS + SSD makes for a more responsive GUI on both these boxes I found, similar to my MBP.  Other 3rd party SSDs may have issues, you'll need to do your own homework there.  If this is a concern, there are instructions elsewhere on launching the installer to skip APFS and keep HFS which you could add in below.  By default the installer will only convert your system SSD.

I made an image backup of my SSDs first in case I need to revert to HFS+ from APFS.  I would recommend doing the same.  This was the longest part of the process.  I used dd & xz from System Rescue CD to bounce image file dumps to an external USB HDD, any reasonable full imaging method should work.

- Download "Install MacOS High Sierra" from App shop
- Use ESP Mounter to mount EFI partition

- Copy existing EFI folder to desktop
- Download latest Clover & run it
- Choose system volume
- Press Customise - choose "Install Clover in the ESP" if you have an ESP partition (check for EFI partition with 'diskutil list' in terminal).  Clover should remember your other settings.  Then install it on the system's boot volume.

- Copy your kexts (all my relevant ones were and are in 'kexts/other') and config.plist from Desktop/EFI to the new EFI/CLOVER.  Also if you have one CLOVER/ACPI/Patched/dsdt.aml to the new EFI as well.
- Right click and open contents of /Applications/Install High Sierra/and mount SharedSupport/basesystem.dmg then copy /usr/standalone/i386/apfs.efi to new EFI/CLOVER/drivers64 (for legacy boot, appropriate for Z800 and Z400) and EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI for newer boot (or just copy into both)

- Unmount basesystem.dmg

- Export any ZFS pools
- Run the installer.  It will say it needs to install firmware...let it do its thing.

- Choose your usual MacOS volume in Clover when it reboots

- When it reboots the second time, choose MacOS Installer in Clover, log in, the installer will pop up in a few moments, click through it as usual...
- Next reboot ignore the two 'preboot' options and choose MacOS

- Nvidia web drivers will prompt to download an update, do so and reboot
- You should be right from here.  Install at will latest ZFS, MacPorts, what-have-you &c &c.

Hope this helps someone.  I'm finding APFS on SSD makes a noticeable and pleasant difference.  Cheers!

Sorry guys my hp z800  bios is corrupted   :poster_oops:       and now i'm on fujitsu celsius r670  :shock:

Need some help to the get sound 

Audio codec .    Realtek ALC663   Desktop Version

try this:

I have configured:
post-1358580-0-12098700-1509875218_thumb.png

Speaker (LineOut back) and HP (front) in switch mode
Mic front
Line in back
SPDIF orange

LayoutID 11 (0B)

with DSDT: 0B in DSDT / HDEF
without DSDT: inject 11 in config and FixHDA

One good workaround for sound is the $10-20 Sabrent USB audio cards in a stick from fleabay if you just want stereo input and output.  Class compliant so "just works".

Obviously nice to have the onboard sound working properly.

Trying to install High Sierra on Z 230 Workstation .  Please Can someone give EFI Folder for HP Z 230 Workstation.   I am getting error while formatting the hard disk.  Could not Erase.  

Greetings! HP Z600 w/2 x Xeon 5560's/24GB Ram/Nvidia Quadro 600 1GB/MacOS 10.12.3

Desperately trying to get my Quadro 600 working properly. Card is recognized, but artifacts, screen garble and random distortion deems this card unusable at the moment. I've tried another Quadro 600, with the same results. I see that Clover Configurator has tables for NVCap values, as well as well as EDID injection, however I haven't tried these methods as of yet. Any assistance on this issue would be much appreciated! Thanks. 

@ssprod

Greetings! HP Z600 w/2 x Xeon 5560's/24GB Ram/Nvidia Quadro 600 1GB/MacOS 10.12.3

Desperately trying to get my Quadro 600 working properly. Card is recognized, but artifacts, screen garble and random distortion deems this card unusable at the moment. I've tried another Quadro 600, with the same results. I see that Clover Configurator has tables for NVCap values, as well as well as EDID injection, however I haven't tried these methods as of yet. Any assistance on this issue would be much appreciated! Thanks. 

what all edits have you compiled with your dsdt? i have a friend whos card wouldnt work properly until he compiled the correct dsdt and ssdt. What youre describing is something ive only really seen from either the card overheating or the card not getting enough power.

@ssprod

what all edits have you compiled with your dsdt? i have a friend whos card wouldnt work properly until he compiled the correct dsdt and ssdt. What youre describing is something ive only really seen from either the card overheating or the card not getting enough power.

Thanks for the post! I’ve done Rehab’s general patches, but none specific to Graphics. Where would I find those? Thanks again.

Another update.  I got a Kingston NVMe SSD on a PCIe card adaptor for the Z800.  This won't boot from the BIOS, but happily you can just put Clover on a USB drive (as per http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/296891-installing-clover-on-usb-drive/?do=findComment&comment=2005139) or small SSD, tell it to install the NvmExpressDxe-64.efi driver, then the usual kexts/apfs.efi/dsdt/config.plist transfer to the matching directories in the USB drive's EFI folder.  Then Clover, booted from the small drive, will find the NVMe volume and allow booting from it.

Was very happy to see HS boot and install cleanly onto the NVMe.  Fed the fresh install my Time Machine backup when prompted and life is even better.  Benchmarked with Blackmagic, writes around 1.2GB/s, reads around 1.5.  PCIe 2 chokes it a little bit but it's a totally worthwhile upgrade.

The EVO 850 already plugged into onboard SATA 2 was clocking 260/270 MB/s so it's a big boost.

I also added a Syba combo USB3/SATA3 PCIe x4 card, OS recognised it automatically, and the EVO (now a supplementary drive) clocks 370/390, so that was worthwhile.  The USB3 shows good speed increases with a matching thumb drive too, so pretty happy with this lot to beef up the ol' tank.  Will post back if any issues come up with the card but first impression is good.

Hi all.

I'm trying to update my guide for z820 to Sierra and again, I'm blocked in audio patching. I've read a lot about new way with applealc,+ lilu + commander , etc. and trying to adapt it to ALC262 for HP rigs. I've seen a lot of kexts versions, but I´m not sure about versions and what steps I have to follow. Anyway , none of them works for me.

Could anyone tell me if there is a way to patch alc262 for 10.12.6 by applealc method? (and a brief step-by-step to install it)

If not, is there an old applehda patch method ? I have not used none of applehda kexts posted here because I'm never sure if they are the appropiate vesion for Sierra 10.12.6 and I don't want ruin it installing and inappropriate applehda version. I remember some headache about that.

thanks in advance

DSDT HDEF Patch

Device (HDEF)

{

OperationRegion (HDAR, PCI_Config, 0x4C, 0x10)

Field (HDAR, WordAcc, NoLock, Preserve)

{

DCKA,   1, 

Offset (0x01), 

DCKM,   1, 

,   6, 

DCKS,   1, 

Offset (0x08), 

,   15, 

PMES,   1

}

Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)  // _ADR: Address

Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)  // _PRW: Power Resources for Wake

{

Return (Package (0x02)

{

0x0D, 

0x05

})

}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)  // _DSM: Device-Specific Method

{

If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))

{

Return (Buffer (One)

{

0x03                                           

})

}

Return (Package (0x10)

{

"AAPL,slot-name", 

"Built In", 

"name", 

"Realtek Audio Controller", 

"model", 

Buffer (0x20)

{

"Realtek ALC262 Audio Controller"

}, 

"device_type", 

Buffer (0x11)

{

"Audio Controller"

}, 

"layout-id", 

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x1C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00                         

}, 

"MaximumBootBeepVolume", 

Buffer (One)

{

0x01                                           

}, 

"PinConfigurations", 

Buffer (Zero) {}, 

"hda-gfx", 

Buffer (0x0A)

{

"onboard-1"

}

})

}

}

Layout ID = 28  in Clover

ALC262 TEST = in to clover folder .zip

CodecCommander.kext in to system library Exzention.zip

Thanks so much for the help. 

Audio is still not working. 

That is what I did:

- I installed attached kexts in their respective folders. (I keep my original AppleHDA)

- Add 28 in inject audio section in config.plist. (trying with reset hda option activated and deactivated)

- Add -alcbeta to bootflag in clover (also I tried without)

- Add HDEF device (in my dsdt, into _SB / _PCI0 branch)

After reboot, I can hear some "clicks" on boot, (like when I boot with El Capitan with audio working), and the device is shown in system profiler , but I think it´s something cosmetic. Any device is shown in audio panel control.

Do I have to patch some kext? I have been watching into applealc kext, checking into plist, comparing, etc.

BootLog shows "CodecComander: Stopping due to codec profile Disable flag" Looking into their info.plist , it doesn't have any reference to ALC262 ¿?¿?

Ok .tanks. A patchedHDA . Like in El capitan . I'd like to have a more vainilla install. But, it is what it is. ^_^;).  Why alc262 is so complicated ? :D

Now reinstalling Sierra. I'll try in a while.

Is it a applehda for 10.12.6 ?

well , finally audio works ... I'm exhausted. :thumbsup_anim:

I'm think I'll live 5 years less because of the damn hackintosh  :cry:

My fullest gratitude to you, Rockey. I'm making a new guide for z820 and Sierra. My credits will be for you. 

Only a minor, minor issue. The name of the devices are wrong in to the panel control: "Internal speakers" is line out device, "line out" is internal speaker. If is something that I can fix editing some info.plist, just let me know , and I'll do myself.

Tanks again!!

i am really happy for u enjoy ur hack   and yes u can fix  issue  with  PinConfigurator.app

the same kext i mean the AppleHDA work on Sierra with the same method

i am not any AppleHDA patching Expert but i am just trying to do my best to help other

post-555472-0-19287700-1514505278_thumb.png

Thanks so much for the help. 

Audio is still not working. 

That is what I did:

- I installed attached kexts in their respective folders. (I keep my original AppleHDA)

- Add 28 in inject audio section in config.plist. (trying with reset hda option activated and deactivated)

- Add -alcbeta to bootflag in clover (also I tried without)

- Add HDEF device (in my dsdt, into _SB / _PCI0 branch)

After reboot, I can hear some "clicks" on boot, (like when I boot with El Capitan with audio working), and the device is shown in system profiler , but I think it´s something cosmetic. Any device is shown in audio panel control.

Forgive me for coming late to this discussion but for a short while I was successfully using a test version of AppleALC version 1.1.2 with modifications for the HP z400/600/800 ALC262 codec by MacPeet and generously provided by him as Archiv.zip in post #1042 of this thread.

This was on my z400 running High Sierra 10.13.1 so I needed the -alcbeta boot flag.  Initially it was paired with Lilu 1.1.5 and so -lilubeta was required, but later I used Lilu 1.1.7 which didn’t need the beta flag.  Layout ID 28 in dsdt is also necessary.

On reaching the betas of 10.13.2 and 10.13.2 itself then older versions of Lilu would no longer load while the new Lilu 1.2.1 is no longer compatible with AppleALC versions as old as 1.1.2.

At this point I had to revert to a patched AppleHDA.kext like the one Rockey12 has kindly posted above, since MacPeet’s excellent changes to AppleALC for our ALC262 were I think inteded for testing only and so were never incorporated into vit9696’s official AppleALC sources.

Can I first of all thank MacPeet for his work and also suggest that if he approves his code might be submitted to vit9696 for inclusion into the official AppleALC distribution?  That way it should conitnue to work with future High Sierra releases on all our HP z400/600/800 workstations.

That's right, the codec for HP Z800 / Z ... is not in the AppleALC release because no one was willing to give trial version information.

I do not pass on a codec that is not extensively confirmed.
I can re-create a trial version for HighSierra when you're ready for test reports.