About Just Joined group Read more... ×
chatdeau

HP Z400/Z600/Z800 Workstations OS X 10.10.x/10.11.x Installation

1,521 posts in this topic

Advertisement

Just for your info, I also got a Z420 and got everything (except CPU Power Management, as I'm having a Xeon E5 1620) working on El Capitan :)

I have Z420 with Xeon E-1620, and USB3 ports are driving me crazy. I run Sierra 10.12.5. Do you mind uploading your EFI ?

Guys, I need your help to fix my USB3.

I have HP Z420 with:

- latest Bios J61 v03.91

- C600/X79 chipset

- Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz Sandy-Bridge-E, 10 Mb L3 Cache

- 8 Gb ECC UDDR3 1600 Hz RAM

- ATI Radeon HD5850 GPU

- 6 USB2 ports (2 front and 4 rear) - Intel Enhanced Host Controller

- 4 USB3 ports (2 front and 2 rear) - Texas Instruments TUSB73x0 SuperSpeed 3.0 xHCI Host Controller

- Intel 82579 Gigabit Ethernet

- TPLink Usb Nano Wi-Fi 

- External USB Sound Card

I installed Sierra without any problem, and everything is working apart from USB3 and native Power Management (this one shouldn't be a problem, but I didn't have time to fix it).

USB3 ports give me headaches. They work sort of: 

1. When I plug external Usb hard drives they get mounted and they show on the desktop

post-605541-0-58145700-1498483728_thumb.png

2. I can browse files on the disk, but I can't copy files from and to external hard disk drive

I get this error:

post-605541-0-26941700-1498483747_thumb.png

Here is my untouched DSDT from Origin folder, my ioreg and my config.plist:

Config-DSDT-IOREG.zip

About this Mac:

post-605541-0-58789500-1498483908_thumb.png

From DPCI Manager:

post-605541-0-31841400-1498483953_thumb.png

And here are my settings from my config.plist :

post-605541-0-11834200-1498484048_thumb.png

post-605541-0-35649200-1498484067_thumb.png

post-605541-0-30530100-1498484079_thumb.png

post-605541-0-96706500-1498484095_thumb.png

post-605541-0-67497600-1498484107_thumb.png

post-605541-0-55536000-1498484121_thumb.png

If anyone here knows how to patch DSDT to get USB3 to work please point me in the right direction.

this is the part of your usb 3.0 

Device (PEX3)
            {
                Name (_ADR, 0x001C0007)
                OperationRegion (PXRC, PCI_Config, Zero, 0x0100)
                Field (PXRC, AnyAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
                {
                            Offset (0x60), 
                            Offset (0x62), 
                    PMS,    1, 
                    PMP,    1, 
                            Offset (0xD8), 
                        ,   30, 
                    HPE,    1, 
                    PCE,    1, 
                        ,   30, 
                    HPS,    1, 
                    PCS,    1
                }

Method (CSS, 0, NotSerialized)
                {
                    Store (One, PMS)
                    Store (One, PCS)
                    Store (One, PMS)
                }

Method (SPRT, 1, NotSerialized)
                {
                    CSS ()
                    Store (One, PCE)
                    CSS ()
                }

Method (WPRT, 1, NotSerialized)
                {
                    Store (Zero, PCE)
                    CSS ()
                }

Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
                {
                    Return (GPRW (0x08, 0x04))
                }

Method (_PRT, 0, NotSerialized)
                {
                    If (PICM)
                    {
                        Return (AR25)
                    }

Return (PR25)
                }

Device (USB3) .  into XHC01 or  only XHC
                {
                    Name (_ADR, Zero)
                }
            }

USB3

The last part of this guide. This is because it is incomplete. I have working the Texas USB 3 internal controller, but with an error which prevent the use.

To get USB3 working:

31- Rehabman has several generic guides. But maybe this guide adapted from rehabman's guides is more concise.

Go to directly to step 1 of part 1, adding the DSDT patch in clover.

In step 2, create the new SSDT-XOSI file.

In step 3, download the FakePCIID and FakePCIID_XHCIMux kexts from rehabman’s bigbucket site . Download the last version, extract it , open "release" folder, and copy only these two kexts to your clover extension folder.

32- Download the GenericUSBXHCI.kext from rehabman. Go to here , download last version. Again, extract it and copy it to your clover extension folder. This is the new kext for non-intel usb3 controllers for El Capitan.

33- Rename USB3 device in the DSDT. Open the dsdt and search “USB3”. Replace it by “XHC”. Compile and save it.

Reboot.

Test your usb3 ports. They are not shown in System profiler but it doesn’t matter. Plug one usb3 stick in one of the usb3 ports, and try to copy some file (bigger than 2 or 3 mb) You’ll have an annoying error -36. No solution here. The only clue is this thread, (and next 4 pages). They are talking about zenith’s generic driver for Yosemite, Maverics, etc. Maybe this new kext controller needs another patch like Zenith432 did for those ASM1042 users.

Note. I had this error with that version in Mavericks and now with this new rehabman’s version. That is because I think this card needs a specific fix into the code. :-(. Searching,  I have seen another users with same error.

You have another way. Buy one compatible USB3 PCI card. They are cheap. Search info to find compatible controller model. It works. I bought one conceptronic card and works like a charm with the steps described above. . But , that the front ports can't be used , is really annoying .

Device (PEX2)
            {
                Name (_ADR, 0x001C0006)
                OperationRegion (PXRC, PCI_Config, Zero, 0x0100)
                Field (PXRC, AnyAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
                {
                            Offset (0x60), 
                            Offset (0x62), 
                    PMS,    1, 
                    PMP,    1, 
                            Offset (0xD8), 
                        ,   30, 
                    HPE,    1, 
                    PCE,    1, 
                        ,   30, 
                    HPS,    1, 
                    PCS,    1
                }

Method (CSS, 0, NotSerialized)
                {
                    Store (One, PMS)
                    Store (One, PCS)
                    Store (One, PMS)
                }

Method (SPRT, 1, NotSerialized)
                {
                    CSS ()
                    Store (One, PCE)
                    CSS ()
                }

Method (WPRT, 1, NotSerialized)
                {
                    Store (Zero, PCE)
                    CSS ()
                }

Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
                {
                    Return (GPRW (0x08, 0x04))
                }

Method (_PRT, 0, NotSerialized)
                {
                    If (PICM)
                    {
                        Return (AR24)
                    }

Return (PR24)
                }

Device (XHC)
                {
                    Name (_ADR, Zero)
                }
            }

Greeting,

Having been following this post for some time and try to install 10.11 using both Encoh Bootloader or Clover. However, neither method give positive results and verbose mode showing all different kinds of KP despite numerous tweaking .

(Using  10.11.3 install apps)

Really depressing. :no:

Therefore i would like to know is there any specific guideline available either clover or chameleon for me to study installation procedure?

Note that this post already had 55 pages i had trouble looking for specific post for beginners'  installation tutorial  like me

See attached for my DSDT File , Bios setting, Basic Hardware description.

?DSDT file (google drive)?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9vkOx0VZVBVRE1CeGo1TjNfZHc

Appreciated for any basic installation tips being notified

Regards

Bosica

z600 Bios setting HW.TXT

post-310773-0-51282800-1498616276_thumb.jpg

Greeting,

Having been following this post for some time and try to install 10.11 using both Encoh Bootloader or Clover. However, neither method give positive results and verbose mode showing all different kinds of KP despite numerous tweaking .

(Using  10.11.3 install apps)

Really depressing. :no:

Therefore i would like to know is there any specific guideline available either clover or chameleon for me to study installation procedure?

Note that this post already had 55 pages i had trouble looking for specific post for beginners'  installation tutorial  like me

See attached for my DSDT File , Bios setting, Basic Hardware description.

DSDT file (google drive)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9vkOx0VZVBVRE1CeGo1TjNfZHc

Appreciated for any basic installation tips being notified

Regards

Bosica

This is for Clover and vanilla Mac OS install (createinstallmedia method).

First part:

1. Do you have the latest BIOS? I can see there is no AHCI option in your BIOS, only RAID+AHCI and IDE. 

2. Try to disable Virtualisation Technology (VTx) as well. It is enabled in your BIOS.

Second part:

You have definitely problem with USB ports. You have to have these two kexts in you USB/EFI/Clover/kexts/Other folder (or 10.11 if you use 10.11 folder):

FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext and FakePCIID.kext

Without them you won't be able to boot successfully.

Important: Don't use USB3 port to boot from it. It probably doesn't work properly. 

I also have:

USBInjectAll.kext

Here is the screenshot of my EFI/Clover/kexts/Other folder (and I am successfully running Sierra 10.12.5):

post-605541-0-63024700-1498619517_thumb.png

Third part:

Open your config.plist in Clover Configurator and add these two patches under AHCI tab:

post-605541-0-08597200-1498619897_thumb.png

post-605541-0-46647400-1498619911_thumb.png

Under Boot tab try to check npci=3000 (I was not able to boot without it):

post-605541-0-95058700-1498620119_thumb.png

Fourth part:

Graphics is important. I don't know what kind of graphics card you have.

Fifth part:

If I were you I would use either MacPro 5.1 or MacPro 6.1 SMBIOS, and not iMac SMBIOS which you are using right now. 

Sixt part:

DSDT is not important right now, first later when you want to fix USB3 ports.

I hope this helps ;)

PS. Do you already have a installed earlier version of MacOS(X) like Yosemite?

thanks antialias ✌️

there's so much info i need time to digest and try out but thanks anyway, will report results later this week as well :) 

Yes,  i am running 10.10.5 using chameleon MB bios version 3.6 (latest)

mine DSDT extracted via MaciASL still not yet properly patched but seem to be working fine

also,  i forgot to mention, all of my PCIE slots were occupied (1394, Lsi HBA/Raid card, USB 3.0, Ati Display)  is it necessary to remove all of the add on cards except display during installation?

Regards

Bosica

thanks antialias ✌️

there's so much info i need time to digest and try out but thanks anyway, will report results later this week as well :)

Yes,  i am running 10.10.5 using chameleon MB bios version 3.6 (latest)

mine DSDT extracted via MaciASL still not yet properly patched but seem to be working fine

also,  i forgot to mention, all of my PCIE slots were occupied (1394, Lsi HBA/Raid card, USB 3.0, Ati Display)  is it necessary to remove all of the add on cards except display during installation?

Regards

Bosica

@Bosica

Here is what I did:

1. When I bought HP Z420 I first did some research on internet about the problems people faced when they tried to install MacOS Sierra (amd ElCapitan) on HP Z420. All of them had kernel panics due to USB ports (both USB2 and USB3) not being seen by MacOS. None of them had problems with USB2 ports in Yosemite.

2. So I first installed Yosemite using one of my USB2 ports to boot from USB installer. I have another Hackintosh and I used it to create USB bootable pen drive.

3. When I had Yosemite up and running I created a new partition for Sierra.

4. I downloaded InstallSierra.app from Apple's App Store, and run it from the Application folder by double clicking on it. You run it like any other application. Install Sierra.app is then asking you where to install it. You just point it to be installed on the new partition.

5. When the first stage of the Sierra install finishes you still can't boot to the newly installed Sierra. That's because your Clover bootloader needs to be updated.

6. You boot again to Yosemite and now install the latest Clover on USB pen drive. Why on USB pen drive and not immediately on Yosemite EFI partition? Because if something goes wrong you won't be able to boot to neither Yosemite or Sierra.

7. When Clover is installed (UEFI only), you have to put the essential kexts in USB/EFI/Clover/kexts/Other folder. Make sure you also have HFS+.efi in USB/EFI/Clover/Drivers64UEFI folder. You can look at my screenshots in my previous post how config.plist should look like.

8. Boot from USB pen drive with Clover and now chose Sierra partition. Now the Sierra install should continue and finish.

----------

A. You don't need to unplug your PCI express cards.

B. I understand you have compatible PCI express USB3 card which is great. Is it Inotech?

Dear antialias,

i run into trouble again, i think my USB clover installer  (Ver.2.4K r4097)  should be using clover legacy install (???) 

Still i hove problems how to properly select items from :-

1) Bootloader (install boot 0af)

2) Clover EFI (64 bit Sata)

However, i got troubles selecting proper items from sub menu "Drivers 64" and  "Driver64UEFI"

Also i would like to know the config.plist setting you mentioned in post #1086 applied to creating USB installer or post installation setting?

any proper guidelines???

P.S. Mine USB 3.0 pcie card was "Orico pcie 4 port usb3.0 card model:- PME 4U" required a molex aux power supply and no drivers required ( Fresco FL1100 chipset)

Regards

Bosica

I have some questions regarding the Clover method of getting Sierra and I'd be most grateful if someone would answer them.

Previously when I tried it I couldn't get past this screen (which eventually turned into this). I then gave up and tried Chameleon. I got it to install but it seems like the graphics card won't enable since I can only have two displays and not three. iMessage and FaceTime was also not working, and all guides was pointing to use Clover. I've read a bit on this thread and people seems to be successful.

I have a Z400 Xeon Quad 3.06 GHz (should be Mac Pro 5.1 in SMBIOS, right?) with a GTX 780 (nVidia Web drivers, right?). Now, how would I get past the screen I mentioned above? Is it an USB problem or HDD problem? Perhaps I didn't use the correct kexts (as shown by antialias above) and thus it didn't find the right components? Some in this thread mention that you need a SATA port controller since the installation process will not recognize the hard drives. Have I understood correctly, and in that case, would a SATA to USB adapter work too?

Someone mentioned AHCI mode in BIOS. I'm on version 3.60 and as far as I remember I only have RAID + AHCI, would this be a problem?

Also worth mentioning: if everything works as intended I would like to replace the Windows installation on the SSD and put that on the HDD instead. What boot loader mode should I use in that case? Previously I've used legacy mode but if I replaced Windows would this change to UEFI? Other tips?

Thanks in advance!

I have some questions regarding the Clover method of getting Sierra and I'd be most grateful if someone would answer them.

Previously when I tried it I couldn't get past this screen (which eventually turned into this). I then gave up and tried Chameleon. I got it to install but it seems like the graphics card won't enable since I can only have two displays and not three. iMessage and FaceTime was also not working, and all guides was pointing to use Clover. I've read a bit on this thread and people seems to be successful.

I have a Z400 Xeon Quad 3.06 GHz (should be Mac Pro 5.1 in SMBIOS, right?) with a GTX 780 (nVidia Web drivers, right?). Now, how would I get past the screen I mentioned above? Is it an USB problem or HDD problem? Perhaps I didn't use the correct kexts (as shown by antialias above) and thus it didn't find the right components? Some in this thread mention that you need a SATA port controller since the installation process will not recognize the hard drives. Have I understood correctly, and in that case, would a SATA to USB adapter work too?

Someone mentioned AHCI mode in BIOS. I'm on version 3.60 and as far as I remember I only have RAID + AHCI, would this be a problem?

Also worth mentioning: if everything works as intended I would like to replace the Windows installation on the SSD and put that on the HDD instead. What boot loader mode should I use in that case? Previously I've used legacy mode but if I replaced Windows would this change to UEFI? Other tips?

Thanks in advance!

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/307064-hp-z400z600z800-workstations-os-x-1010x1011x-installation/?p=2220418

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/307064-hp-z400z600z800-workstations-os-x-1010x1011x-installation/?p=2221515

Thanks for the links. I managed to get past the other screen.

I'm currently stuck at this screen instead. The solution seems to be your comment here. However, I don't really understand. Following the instructions that you linked to, wouldn't that do stuff to the already existing legit Mac of mine (as the terminal is running on my partition)? Where would I enter those values you commentated with? Please do elaborate.

Thanks! I got past the panic error. Now I'm stuck here instead: first it says busy timeout[0], (240s), kextd wait(0): "AppleACPICPU" and then after a while I get past it and one of my monitors become Mac-gray colored while the other is black.

I found this answer, but it is pointing to use the newest Clover, which I am (r4907). Any ideas?

AICPMPatch

Thanks, I thought it felt wrong doing this on my Mac, thought it had to be some numbers specifically for the Z400. Guess I should just have proceeded. Anyway, thanks for the detailed image!

in your Config.plist is the Nvidia check or un check

Checked: nvda_drv=1

Unchecked: nv_disable=1

nvda_drv=1 is for web drivers, right? Since I have a GTX 780 I should use those, correct?

Could it be wrong SMBIOS? The config that kif.007 send used iMac14,2. I'll try replacing it to MacPro5,1 and report back.