Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jmeg

Updating OS X on a VM

1 post in this topic

Hello all.

I am new to these forums and Hackintoshes in general. I successfully installed OS X Snow Leopard using an official Snow Leopard install DVD I own and some other booting tools. I suppose I don't have an official Hackintosh in the sense that I run OS X from as a guest machine. If it helps, I use Oracle's VirtualBox. The VM runs perfectly fine. I used a combined update to update from the first version of Snow Leopard (available on the install disk) to the last/latest version of Snow Leopard.

So, with that being said, is it possible to update the operating system while my guest is running without having to change things around? I'd ideally like to be running OS X Yosemite. The Yosemite OS update is available from the App Store for free right now, but I'm a little hesitant to run it at the moment. I was reading somewhere that you should only update your Hackintosh with combined updates from Apple. Any truth to this? I sincerely apologize for my ignorance. As you can tell, I'm still learning. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Advertisement

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rohan20
      Opencore is running really really slow on Catalina 10.15.4. So It was running perfectly before I put the ssdt-pnlf for enabling Brightness control. it is running really slow and I verified my config with the sanity checker and its all correct. can someone please help. I am attaching my oc folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/drkek0eaz19ina5/OC.zip?dl=0

• By Georgiles
      Laptop: Asus Vivobook F510UA
      CPU: Intel Core i5-8250U
      Graphic: Intel UHD 620
      Wifi: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 (no kexts for intel wifi) :(
      Card Reader: Realtek_CardReader(RTL8411B_RTS5226_RTS5227)
      Camera: ASUS UVC HD 7.Audio: Conexant Audio CX8050
      Touchpad: ELAN1300

by parkrypto: thank you tctien342 for the amazing guide.

https://github.com/tctien342/Asus-Vivobook-S510UA-High-Sierra-10.13-Hackintosh

Ebayed the laptop for $290 + tax = $350
      added: 16gb RAM + existing 8GB = 24GB          Timetec Hynix IC 16GB DDR4 2400MHz PC4-19200 Non ECC Unbuffered 1.2V CL17 2Rx8 Dual Rank 260 Pin SODIMM Laptop Notebook Computer Memory Ram Module Upgrade S Series (16GB)     
      added: cheap wifi         TP-Link USB Wifi Adapter for PC N150 Wireless Network Adapter for Desktop - Nano Size Wifi Dongle Compatible with Windows 10/7/8/8.1/XP/Vista Mac OS 10.9-10.15 Linux Kernel 2.6.18-4.4.3 (TL-WN725N)     
      added: NAND 1TB Internal PC SSD https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073SB2MXT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      Gadget Reviews upgraded too, video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39EquX5PTkQ

I just installed. Everything works fine. I'll test final cut pro, premiere pro with 4k footage and get back with you on performance. 
      For now moves like a performant Mac book pro. 
      I installed Catalina first but I could not make the Intel UHD 620 Graphics get proper QE/CI. 
      Mojave is just fine. I want to use this system for quick video editing on the go.
      Geekbench in my signature.  
      If you need any files or have any questions pls ask.

asus f510u mojave.zip
    • By JoelChris
      Hi guys! I really need help right now.
      So I've just updated my Hackintosh to Catalina 10.15.3 with these following specs,

Z390 Designare
      Core i9 9900k
      RX 590 Nitro + 8gb Gold Edition
      32 GB ram of Corsair RGB Pro

After the update, I tried to boot and it's a black screen after loading.
      I also have recently updated the WEG and Lilu, but there's nothing new. It's still stuck with a black screen.

I have attached my Clover below..
      CLOVER.zip
      Please help and Thankyou so much!
    • By Kaku
      Greetings!

So I managed to get a Catalina 10.15 vm up and running in ESXi 6.7u2.
      When I try to install Catalina updates, however, it goes to the Apple logo, status bar moving ever so slightly, reboots again and this time hangs on the Apple logo.  To fix this, I either remove or disable "Mac OS" as an option in the bootloader. Is there a way to get these updates to install? 

In the meantime...

I instead of restarting Catalina after choosing to update it, I shutdown the guest.  After a restart it SEEMED to update with the time duration countdown.

Prior to this I did run disk utility and checked Untitled and Untitled-Data for errors (I don't think it found any).

So I just logged back onto the VM and the version is still 10.15 and NOT 10.15.2 as hoped. So weird.

Any ideas?

• By lucjac99
      salve a tutti ennesimo problema, ho Catalina nella versione 10.15.1 e ho tentato l'update alla ver 10.15.2 purtroppo il mio hackintosh dopo aver fatto il setup di installazione fa qualche operazione  e rebootta ma non ha aggiornato niente, BOH! ho llilu nuovo whatev nuovo alc nuovo Clover ultimo grazie per un aiuto