Maxxuss Exec_10.4.2 Patch

maxxuss

68 posts in this topic

Run 10.4.2 software on your 10.4.1 system

Update (New links)

This is the 1st version (v0.1) of my patch for Mac OS X 10.4.1 "Tiger" on the x86 Platform (Codename "Marklar").

This patch allows you to run Mac OS X 10.4.2 (x86) software on your 10.4.1 system.

[DMCA Violation Edited by Hagar]

Feedback welcome!

Cool! Good work (like always). Do you have some examples of programs that were compiled with 10.4.2 that can be used to test if the patch is working?

Try Colloquy IRC Client:

http://colloquy.info/downloads.html

This universal built is meant for 10.4.2: http://colloquy.info/downloads/colloquy-universal.zip

It runs fine on my 10.4.1.

(When you run it the 1st time it says s.th. about problem and asks if you want to continue. Just continue and everything works fine from then on.)

Try Colloquy IRC Client:

http://colloquy.info/downloads.html

This universal built is meant for 10.4.2: http://colloquy.info/downloads/colloquy-universal.zip

It runs fine on my 10.4.1.

(When you run it the 1st time it says s.th. about problem and asks if you want to continue. Just continue and everything works fine from then on.)

Your a genius.. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple asked you to work for them.

I don't know too much details on the new seed, but if this is available to everyone with a 100% working 10.4.1, who needs the new seed? This is a great contribution. Thank you for the efforts you have provided to this small community.

Well. the patch works, but my system slowed down by 10 - 15 %. So what could be the matter?

my config:

Machine Name: Apple Development Platform

Machine Model: ADP2,1

CPU Type: Intel® Celeron® CPU

Number Of CPUs: 1

CPU Speed: 2.56 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB

CPU Features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM SSE3 MON DSCPL

Memory: 1016 MB

Bus Speed: 533 MHz

Boot ROM Version: P1.10 (American Megatrends Inc.)

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900:

Chipset Model: GMA 900

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: Built-In

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2582

Revision ID: 0x000e

Displays:

Display:

720E:

Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 85 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

ATA Bus:

SAMSUNG SP1614N:

Capacity: 149.05 GB

Model: SAMSUNG SP1614N

Revision: TM100-24

Serial Number: S016J10XB20809

Removable Media: No

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk0

Protocol: ATA

Unit Number: 0

Socket Type: Internal

OS9 Drivers: No

S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified

Volumes:

Mac OSX:

Capacity: 29.39 GB

Available: 19.93 GB

Writable: Yes

File System: HFS+

BSD Name: disk0s1

Mount Point: /

WINDOWS:

Capacity: 62.18 GB

Available: 44.59 GB

File System: MS-DOS FAT32

BSD Name: disk0s2

Mount Point: /Volumes/WINDOWS

DATEN:

Capacity: 57.48 GB

Available: 43.13 GB

File System: MS-DOS FAT32

BSD Name: disk0s5

Mount Point: /Volumes/DATEN

AOPEN COM5232/AAH PRO:

Model: AOPEN COM5232/AAH PRO

Revision: 1.08

Serial Number:

Detachable Drive: No

Protocol: ATAPI

Unit Number: 1

Socket Type: Internal

iP2000:

Print-Server: Lokal

Treiberversion: 5.0.0-rc1

Standard: Ja

URI: usb://Canon/iP2000?serial=B0AC8A

PPD: Canon PIXMA iP4000 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.0.0-rc1

PPD-Dateiversion: 5.0.0-rc1

PostScript Version: (3010.000) 550

(3010.000) 651

(3010.000) 652

(3010.000) 653

(3010.000) 704

(3010.000) 705

(3010.000) 707

(3010.000) 800

(3010.000) 815

(3010.000) 850

(3010.000) 81501

Yes - the speed comes backwith old kernel..... I should stay with it until there is a fix

Well. the patch works, but my system slowed down by 10 - 15 %. So what culd be the matter?

Should not happen.

However, please (as always for these kinds of trouble-shooting questions!), list your configuration (see the FAQ for list of items) and how you measured. Is it repeatable after reboot? Do get your old speed after restoring your old kernel?

For those of us that are a bit slow on the uptake, can you please give us some details of what's in this new patch that enables us to run 10.4.2 software. Are there any kexts from the new 10.4.2 update or is it just changes made to the system info so that new software loaded thinks it 10.4.2.

Well. the patch works, but my system slowed down by 10 - 15 %. So what could be the matter?

Yes - the speed comes backwith old kernel..... I should stay with it until there is a fix

OK. I cannot confirm it on my hardware.

First thing, please try this SSE3 kernel with 10.4.2 Exec patch: Edit: Removed content violating DMCA It only contains the minimum of patched bytes.

Next thing, please post the following info:

- How did you measure your system? If it's Xbench, please attach(!) the zip'ed reports with your original kernel and with the new one. If it's not Xbench, try also to specifiy what exactly has changed, e.g. CPU bench, thread bench etc.

- Please post the md5sum of your kernel (the one which is faster for you).

Thanks.

For those of us that are a bit slow on the uptake, can you please give us some details of what's in this new patch that enables us to run 10.4.2 software. Are there any kexts from the new 10.4.2 update or is it just changes made to the system info so that new software loaded thinks it 10.4.2.

From my announcement:

This patch modifies the 10.4.1 kernel to adapt for these changes.

What's in the ISO

- Readme.html

- install.sh (Open with your Mac OS X' Terminal.app)

- Mach kernel with the patch applied

So, it's simply a kernel replacement. Should work on SSE2 and SSE3.

Edited by Metrogirl

No performance change here. My Xbench marks right around 47-48 area and is pretty consistant on every bench, unless I overclock from 2.8 to 3.4. Now I'm just looking for the benifit of this patch. I guess I'll have to dig around for unibins for 10.4.2. Thanks for the Patch!

Thanks!!! Now I am using the colloquy , it works perfect. great work!

and still I do not feel my machine is slowed down !

I wonder could we just replace or update several files in our current 10.4.1 to upgrade to 10.4.2 ?

ps : I spend nearly 2 hours just to download the patch......

maxxuss, could you possibly lend your skills to some ATI kext development?

I 2nd that.I have been trying but I cant get anything going with the ati drivers.If you find some time,Please help with getting a working ati driver for us.

I 2nd that.I have been trying but I cant get anything going with the ati drivers.If you find some time,Please help with getting a working ati driver for us.
No! Go help the developement of the Nvidia driver. we Nvidia people need >@60Hz support natively to prevent us from getting serious migraine.

But seriously, I thought I read somewhere that maxxuss was working on a native ethernet driver and recently he seems to be buisy on the Tiger 10.4.2 patches.

I think the community doesn't need an ethernet driver at all since all you have to do is buy a cheap network card and voila !

But most people need a ATI and/or NVIDIA graphic driver coz OSX is barely unusable without one. that's should be our TOP priority. BTW I believe that most people out there including me aren't skilled enough to do that. May be I will buy a 915 board soon...

Maxxuss you got my gratitude for all your devoted work