MinusZwei

Scrambled images with Maxwell's GPUs

12 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have recently bought a Titan X to replace my "good-old" GTX 780 in my machine.

After reading some forums posts, I was quite confident that it would work like a charm, after installing the NVIDIA web drivers.

... and this is exactly what I did.

So my current setup is the following:

- OS X 10.10.3

- NVIDIA latest web drivers (346.01.02f04)

- Latest CUDA driver (7.0.36)

Overall, it works great. No single issue when running benchmarks applications like Unigine Valley and/or Cinebench.

However, I am seeing some "scrambled images" (comparable to the one attached), mostly when browsing the web using Safari.

After having matched one webpage that showcased this issue 100% of time, I exported the page in PDF.

..and guess what: The PDF also looks scrambled when opened with Preview, but not with Adobe Reader or Gmail internal PDF reader.

So I am thinking about that Apple's rendering engine (maybe PDFKit ?) is using the hardware decoder from Maxwell's GPU, and this decoder is somehow not properly working with specific JPEG images (seems to be related to small pictures). 

My questions now are:

1. Is this common to all Maxwell's users here ?

2. Is there some way to tweak Apple's rendering engine to avoid this ?

post-442947-0-93782000-1433847498_thumb.png

Advertisement

GTX 980 here, not having the same issue I'm afraid (or glad at least in my case)

Hello,

I have a GTX 980 too and none of these problems.

I'm available to test anything you want.

GIGABYTE GTX970.

I can confirm that I have the same problem with the same setup as OP's.

What do you mean by "same setup as OP's" ?

Do you also see scrambled pictures sometimes ?

Don't think so. I saw some forums postings claiming that 750 also shows "scrambled images".

I personally think that Apple rendering frameworks is using some kind of hardware decoder for JPEG images, and obviously, it is not working properly on Maxwell GPUs.

What do you mean by "same setup as OP's" ?

Do you also see scrambled pictures sometimes ?

Same setup:

- OS X 10.10.3

- NVIDIA latest web drivers (346.01.02f04)
- Latest CUDA driver (7.0.36)

And exactly the same 'scrambled' images on Safari from time to time.  :yes:

I just want to correct my statement (after a test with a PDF provided by MinusZwei) : same problem with my 980.

Yes, there is definitely an issue with the current webdrivers and how Yosemite uses them.

What I suspect is that Yosemite rendering engine (I would suspect a high-level one, common to both Preview and Safari... maybe PDFKit directly) is using the hardware decoder for decoding JPEG images.

-> With very special images, this brings scrambled images comparable to the ones shown in my first post.

This makes me think that the Webdriver from NVIDIA is buggy...

... but I doubt that they will help, as no Maxwell is officially certified with these drivers.

I am just wondering if macvidcards owners with real MacPros are also facing this issue...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Cyberdevs
      Let's cross reference the facts and settings and find out why we have the lags with the nVidia web drivers and why some other people don't have the lags.
      I have an EVGA 1070 SuperClocked GPU which is working pretty well under macOS Sierra and up to macOS 10.13.2 the last macOS update and the nVidia web driver didn't go so well.

So far I tried all the following options but nothing seems to work:

1. Used only clover's on the fly patch for the board-id to avoid the black screen issue
      2. Used Lilu and nVidiaGraphicsFixUp
      3. Used only AGDPFix without any other patches or kexts
      4. Activated the iGPU
      5. used ACPI patches to change the PEG0 to GFX0
      6. Used iMacPro SMBIOS without any patches or kext

Nothing seems to work so far except for the patched version of the 104 or 106 web driver which has the lags but it's way better than the last drivers.

To all people with no lags:

Please share your EFI folders if you can.

(Please remove the serial number, MLB, UUID and all the private stuff from your config.plist and also remove "themes" and "Apple" Folder before posting it)

and please share your hardware specs with the firmware version (BIOS/UEFI version) 

Thank you all

You can test the following sites to see wether you have the lags or not:

http://madebyevan.com/webgl-water/ (thanks to @maerten)

or

http://www.bongiovi..../webgl/blossom/ (thanks to @TheBloke)
    • By PPC970MP
      Hello fellow Sierra users, maybe someone could help me with a post-installation defect.
      The problem occurred immediately after upgrading an existing build form ElCap 10.11.6 to Sierra 10.12.6.
      Overall the installation went all fine, no changes to Clover (4244) config, DSDT or set of additional kexts were required.
      Except updating to the matching NVDA WebDriver kit and repatching AppleHDA of course.
      NvidiaGraphicsFixup is not used, also no GPU injection from clover.

Now if the DP connected monitor ever enters sleep mode it will not wake up any more.
      For a few seconds it will leave power saving mode and then return to it with the display staying blank all the time.
      As in El Capitan system sleep is completely disabled so this is not related to the whole system waking up, just the display.
      The symptom did not occur a single time while running macOS 10.11.

So far I could not find a solution for this problem.
      However there seems to be a history of similar issues affecting Maxwell cards and DP connected monitors.
      Any suggestions welcome.
      Would a switch to a Pascal based NVIDIA GPU probably help to resolve the issue?
    • By Lord Kamina
      Hey everyone... I'm finishing up on a new build (due to my old motherboard dying on me)

I've got an i7-3770, Asrock Z77 OC Formula and a GTX980.

I can't boot with the 980. It was working just fine with the old motherboard (an MSI p67a). Now, if I use nv_disable, it boots ok (without acceleration obviously) and if i use NvidiaWeb, I get a black screen (with no errors, and there is actually a signal being sent to the display;  it's just blank), and the machine doesn't finish booting up (I know because I can't VNC into it).

All this is to say that no, it is NOT the AGDP issue. I'm using iMac13,2 SMBIOS.

Today this happened and I left it like that a while to see if it ever finished up booting (seeing as I'd read about people experiencing long boot-times on a black screen) but after a while I had to turn it off because, I {censored} you not, there was smoke and the smell of burnt plastic. I have no idea _what_ burnt, the only symptom I've seen so far is the BIOS doesn't recognize HDs plugged into the Marvell SATA3 controllers (but Windows sees the drives, so I don't think they actually died, or the ports, for that matter)

Needless to say, I haven't attempted to boot Sierra again.

Any ideas?