My MacBook Pro

suleiman

13 posts in this topic

So I started noticing a lag only very recently; an overall system slowdown in speed, and a very noticeable delay in booting time, were just a few of the symptoms. Where before my system took barely 20 seconds from the Apple Logo to my fully loaded, fully functional desktop, now it takes minutes, maybe 5 of them.

Because I'm the type of user that rarely shuts his machine down and keeps the usual round of apps open till reboot (Word, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, Safari, Mail, Adium) I never really thought to bother too much about this, since once the apps loaded into memory they went fairly smooth.

But every now and again I notice a bog down in speed, be it a beachball in Safari, or a 10 second lag in Mail firing up, it stings me deep down inside my soul. I suppose partly because this is my first mac, partly because it's of the "Pro" family, and partly because of the $2,500 pricetag, depression sets in and it doesn't leave until I Exposé.

So now I am *seriously* considering backing up my mail, files, and priceless utilities, to reformat and reinstall this entire system for the first (and hopefully last) time. It's a particularly painful move, in my case I've customized my desktop to the point of perfection. Every app sitting in my dock and many that didn't make the cut, have their own cusomized transparent icons. Every window of every app I regularly use has a uniform theme and look. This is not to mention the countless preferences that would be wiped out, particularly my Rules in mail (those don't come back by dropping in the preference files, do they?), and my MailTags and MailActOn setup willl be lost forever.

In short it's a last resort I really don't want to resort to. But the speed. But the customizations. But the speed. I really can't make up my mind.

Could somebody here make the call for me?

I just had this hard drive replaced at the apple store and they ran migration assistant on the new one. I'm noticing the same slowdown in speed so I'm guessing it has to be something about the way this hard drive has the information laid out.

download onyx (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/onyx.html), run all the "maintenance" tasks and restart. if you want u can play with the other features. Hope this helps.

waiting for response.

good luck

forgot to tell. the first restart after completing the tasks is slow as hell. just be patient, and wait till the computert stops "thinking".

make yourself another account and see how fast you get in the new desktop.

it it's still slow .... i guess reinstall

if it;s faster, then it's from your login items, and a new install won't do the trick if you reinstall all your stuff.

I see what you're saying mmk, but why would there be a slowdown at system startup? I don't even get the grey apple logo right away, I get a grey folder icon with a question mark and then an apple logo.

Is there a disk defrag utility I could run on this bad boy? I've ran disk utility but it's just nothing doing.

the question mark at startup is because you haven't selected a boot disk, go to "start up disk" in sys pref. and select your drive. this should help with the quedtion mark. Anyway. Formatting isn't that baaad.

good luck

have you tried reparing disk permissions? i noticed a slowdown in speed a while back and ran it, and i was back to normal after that. also go into system preferences and try choosing the mac hd as startup disk and restarting. that also seemed to improve boot time (not sure why).

tneely, i got onyx. the apple page said the file size was 800mb (what the hell!?), but it's acutally only 7.9mb. i sent them feedback concerning it (think they'll send me a mac pro for helping them out? :))

I see what you're saying mmk, but why would there be a slowdown at system startup? I don't even get the grey apple logo right away, I get a grey folder icon with a question mark and then an apple logo.

Is there a disk defrag utility I could run on this bad boy? I've ran disk utility but it's just nothing doing.

iDefrag works very well, but you have to run it from another startup disk as it unmounts the drive its working on. It is Universal as well :D

Linkies

Also TechTool Pro works good to, perhaps your directory structures are clogged. TechTool rebuilds them and makes them more efficent and such. Go to Micromat.com for that one. Guess what its Universal as well :D.

Both can be run off a bootable cd to, Techtool comes as one and you can make a bootable cd through an iDefrag download on the website, but you have to pay to get them, and no I cant send stuff out as the serials are legit and they monitor who uses them :) .

BTW I forgot to add that iDefrag respects HFS+ directory structures, including the hot zone and all that other goodness, so as long as you dont pull the plug on your mac while your working on it, everything should be good to go :).