Installation Failure to reboot

3on

9 posts in this topic

I succeeded in installing OS 10.4.6 on an old IDE hard drive (all my hard drives are SATA) that I format thanks to Disk Utilities.

Everything goes okay until the really end of the installation. When the system is supposed to reboot the installation freeze.

I tried many times to reboot physically and boot the OS X hard drive but it is Darwin that shwos up and it freeze ( I said freeze because it like a shell but I can type)

I'm a newbe and I really don't know what to do.

I know that I have a RAID controller and raid compose of two SATA hard drives that I have unplugged (to be sure to don't make a big mistake) and I was wondering if this could be a reason...

Thank for your help !

if you have a raid controller and you unplug the sata drives, it shouldnt really make a difference. you could just leave the drives plugged in and make sure you dont select them in the disk utility. also, make sure you are selecting the proper options in the Customize area of the installation. what iso release are you using, and what customize options did you select?

I selected the all options and I'm using the DVD install 10.4.6

:: sigh ::

You can't choose ALL of the patches in the Customize window.

During the installation, when you get to the window where you are to click the Install button, you must first click the Customize button and choose packages for your computer. Click the little arrow next to the patches category to reveal the individual packages. Select Intel or AMD packages, not both. Select SSE2 or SSE3, not both, depending upon the capability of your processor. Select the Combo Update to get the latest version of OSX. Select other packages only if you know your computer can use them.

10.4.6: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...ost&id=4249

I've been really silly...

A have no clue of what my CPU is or not ( SSE2 SSE3 ).

I know that it is a AMD 64 a 3500 I think... I'm a Mac user and I so confused with PC's...

A have no clue of what my CPU is or not ( SSE2 SSE3 ).

I know that it is a AMD 64 a 3500 I think... I'm a Mac user and I so confused with PC's...

If you have Windows installed, boot it and download and run CPU-Z. It will tell you what kind of CPU that you have and whether it is capable of only SSE2 or whether it is also capable of SSE3.

You can't choose ALL of the patches in the Customize window.

During the installation, when you get to the window where you are to click the Install button, you must first click the Customize button and choose packages for your computer. Click the little arrow next to the patches category to reveal the individual packages. Select Intel or AMD packages, not both. Select SSE2 or SSE3, not both, depending upon the capability of your processor. Select the Combo Update to get the latest version of OSX. Select other packages only if you know your computer can use them.

Now that is one handy little piece of information. I've used various Linux/Windows/Solaris OS since the pre 286 days, but it still didn't prevent me from just selecting/checking on the Jas updates without expanding the selection and choosing what I needed for my particular install. Doh!

Perhaps this should be in a sticky on the main page or better yet in the wiki?

Thanks Rammjet

FatBoySmith