Multiboot MacOS X versions (CoreStorage)

mac09hack

4 posts in this topic

I have built a new Hack using a Z97X-UD7 motherboard, an Intel 4790K CPU and an EVGA Invidia GeForce GTX-760 GPU.

I am trying to learn how to use Apple Core Storage to build two distinct Fusion drives using partitions from an SSD and an HDD.

I have successfully loaded 10.9.5 and 10.10.3 on individual drives and am now trying to integrate both OS's on to separate Fusion drives.

I partitioned a 3 TB HDD and a 500gb SSD into three partitions each. I then used Core Storage commands to develop two partitions (one from each) drive and made two distinct Fusion type drives. Each Logical Volume is 1.16GB in size. I then used my USB loader to install Yosemite 10.10.3 onto one of the two partitioned Volumes.

I am now at the point where I think I need to load Clover boot loader on the physical SSD drive, but the information is limited to this type of operation.

Would like to know if anyone has ideas about this project.

Can be done. To start you would need apple to support such a method which they do not. 

Please review:

http://www.rampagedev.com/?page_id=308

When creating the Fusion Drive you will use the following command:

diskutil cs createVolume UUID jhfs+ “Macintosh HD” 100%

If you had reviewed Core Storage documentation you would be able to see that the last part of the string, the 100% is what is set for the fusion of the 2nd drive which would be the HDD. All you created was one OS on fusion and the other 2 on the HDD. Hope this clears things up.

I guess what you are saying is that I can't partition a HDD and a SSD and make individual Fusion drives within those partitions? I would have assumed that within a partition, the 100% would be the totality of that partition.

When I created two of the three partitions using CoreStorage into HDD-SDD combos, they each came out to be 1.16 GB Logical Volumes. The last of each unused partitions are still shown as 167 MB SSD and 1.0 TB HDD mounted partitions. That tells me that after issuing the required CoreStorage commands, the two configured Storage Volumes are using 1/3 of the SSD =100%.

My issue is being able to get Clover to see the SSD EFI partition (s2) so that I can load Clover to the SSD.