Radeon 7750 not working since 10.10.3

StrangeNoises

15 posts in this topic

Anyone else getting radeonhd problems since the 10.10.3 upgrade? Mine won't work, crashing the system during boot.

First I get this:

Ah, it's shrunk to illegibility by the upload...

https://owncloud.strangenoises.org/owncloud/public.php?service=files&t=4uTF3yPYYItBdEL

The text of the last line is:

** GPU Hardware VM is enabled (multispace: enabled, page table updates with DMA: enabled)

Sometimes that's it; it stops there forever. I find that with multiple monitors plugged in, but with only one, it then moves on to a screen full of digital noise, and the beachball in the top left corner:

https://owncloud.strangenoises.org/owncloud/public.php?service=files&t=HXx9RuviSM8vukP

And after several minutes it goes to a black screen, but with a block cursor in the top left and a mouse pointer, which moves, and at the configured time later the display switches off, so the system *is* partially running, but not very usefully with no working graphics.

Before the upgrade to 10.10.3 (from 10.10.2, but also since originally creating the hackintosh, with Mavericks) it all worked fine, without any need to inject anything. I tried selecting InjectATI but it made no difference.

System has been reinstalled (I hadn't properly narrowed down the cause at the time) and works mostly fine with the onboard Intel HD4600. (It's because of the "mostly" I've been using the Radeon - to drive three monitors without crashing on wake from display sleep, which is what happens if I attempt that on the Intel.) But with the Radeon back in, this error still occurs.

Seems that you got the same issue like me HD7770, change your plist from AMDRadeonX4000.kext "CAIL_DisableGfxCGPowerGating=1"

good luck

Yes. I saw something pointing in the same direction on (shh) tonymac86's forum. If only this one line change is sufficient, that's neater. :-) I'll be having a go at it at the weekend. (Need to figure out the "change your plist from AMDRadeonX4000.kext" bit ;-) so far, before 10.10.3 I haven't needed to do anything like that for it to work.)

Yahay it worked first time! (Couldn't wait for the weekend!)

Basically, to summarize for people less familiar with the processes exactly what you said:

1. sudo vi /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX4000.kext/Contents/Info.plist
  2. Change the setting as you detailed.
  3. sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
  4. Reboot.

Now working beautifully doing Retina goodnesses with my shiny* new 4K monitor. An older 1440p monitor is on the onboard HD4600 and I boot on that and use as second screen when up, as for some reason the 4K one is not liked by my board's UEFI or Clover. Once the OS is up, it's fine.

(* it's not shiny, it's quite matt actually, apart from the Dell logo. P2715Q - Time to update the sig)

I'm glad that it's working, we always need to repair permissions and rebuild the cache after we change system files, i personally recommend cVad's KextUtility

I didn't seem to need to; i was expecting to, but literally just the steps I enumerated did it; there's nothing left out or assumed there (except basic vi usage i guess). Perhaps the sudo vi bit to edit the file, which I knew wouldn't change any ownership/permissions on it, was the key, where other perhaps-more-user-friendly methods of getting it into a graphical editor would mess that bit up? And presumably touching /System/Library/Extensions, which I picked up from somewhere (I think while googling "osx edit kext plist"), is enough to force the cache rebuild on boot?

• 8 months later...

I'm looking to buy something to upgrade from GT220. It'll  most probably be HD7750 or R7 250 (if i buy AMD) so  ill try it as soon as possible.

Don't know why it wouldn't work with Clover's kext patching, but then again, i got into it from Chameleon just few months ago...  :rolleyes:

I'm looking to buy something to upgrade from GT220. It'll  most probably be HD7750 or R7 250 (if i buy AMD) so  ill try it as soon as possible.

Don't know why it wouldn't work with Clover's kext patching, but then again, i got into it from Chameleon just few months ago...  :rolleyes:

Clover kext patching never works for me :( ... Have to patch binary like in old days

Clover kext patching never works for me :( ... Have to patch binary like in old days

Well in this case it's not any binary that needs patching but a .plist (XML) file. Hence the steps given above to simply edit that file as required. I don't know if that makes things easier or harder with respect to doing it in clover.

Well in this case it's not any binary that needs patching but a .plist (XML) file. Hence the steps given above to simply edit that file as required. I don't know if that makes things easier or harder with respect to doing it in clover.

I know but i spread my opinion in general :)

• 1 month later...