Adding second GPU to existing system

shepworth

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Hope someone can help.

In short, I've got a relatively fresh install of Yosemite on my rig, with a Gigabyte GTX770 OC 4GB card which.  Everything running great, very happy thanks to many people.

Anyway, I do a lot of tv editing and bought another GTX770 4GB (not OC) which arrived today, specifically to go with Resolve.  

Thought it would just be a case of putting it in and everything would work fine.

Not so much.

Although it's picked up in Slot 2 as I can tell from the verbose mode when booting, once inside Yosemite although it's showing in the System Report, it's not assigned a slot.  It works if I attach a monitor to it but Resolve isn't seeing it as a GPU, only the card in Slot 1. Both cards are appearing in iStats.

I've got my rig setup up in SMBIOS as a MacPro3,1

Everything else as follows

Gigabyte Z87X-UD5_H

Intel 4770k

Corsair 760i Power Supply

32GB RAM

Blackmagic MiniMonitor SDi Output

H100i

2*256 SSD Drives

4*3tb drive set up as 2*6TB Raid 1 drives (software)

One monitor attached via Display Port, the other by DVI.

System works perfectly otherwise.

I also tested my former install of Mavericks by booting from that, same problem.  Also have swapped the cards around, same deal.

Please, help.  Thanks.

post-1376888-0-38148900-1428445263_thumb.png

post-1376888-0-23390700-1428445278_thumb.png

Thanks for the help.  It turns out it was actually working even though it didn't list in its own slot.  I figure because it was the same card OS X just grouped them together as I could see it doing all the processing in Resolve.  Unfortunately, the results weren't great so I've sent it back and might save up for the 980.

I didn't know multiple GPUs weren't recommended.  Thank goodness for Amazon's return policy.

I have been running multiple GPU for 5 years with no problem at one stage I had GTX 570 and ATI 7950 running together. Under Yosamite you must have UEFI BIOS and use clover with Bios setting set to Windows 8. I am running 2x GTX 970 in my system currently with no problems driving 3x Monitors and 1x Projector all using HDMI and MacPro 5,1 Smbios

• Like 1

I have been running multiple GPU for 5 years with no problem at one stage I had GTX 570 and ATI 7950 running together. Under Yosamite you must have UEFI BIOS and use clover with Bios setting set to Windows 8. I am running 2x GTX 970 in my system currently with no problems driving 3x Monitors and 1x Projector all using HDMI and MacPro 5,1 Smbios

The problem is that OP is thinking SLI-CrossFire works on OS X, and that is wrong. He wants performance, not quantity

Actually, I wasn't clear in my first post.  I know SLI/Crossfire doesn't work. I was looking for a second GPU to dedicate to performance mainly for Resolve.  The second card wasn't being assigned as Slot 2 so I assumed it wasn't recognised, but it was as it happens but the performance wasn't that great an increase for what I need.