leo4all? MAYBE a new version?

bhst2

12 posts in this topic

Been quit a few years since I have had anything to do with Mac let alone OS X. Well a few weeks ago I decided to purchase a MacBook Pro. And I start to remember the fun/good times making osx86 and messing with Leo4All. I am really thinking of doing a comeback and making a Leo4All release of AMD/Intel again! But one problem!! I don't own an AMD machine anymore (Well I have a simple AMD laptop) But as I recall laptops and osx86 didn't mesh well. Maybe that has change?! I don't know I am still doing research on this whole project!!.

So Before for I begin as people that have been in the scene of osx86. I could use your input of feedback for what you would like to see for support in this release.

EXAMPLES: driver support, if you want 3rd party apps in the installer. stuff like that. I will consider all suggestion. And I as I get closer to a working release that will boot up and install on my intel pc. I will be starting a beta test phase and will be looking for people to help test it and give feedback. I will update this post as the project starts and gets going and will update this post when signups are starting for beta testers.

Thanks for reading and can't wait to see what people would like to see in the NEW LEO4ALL Distro release.

bhast2

• Like 1

First, welcome back!

I used to use few OSX86 distributions in the era of snow leopard. They are great for newbies as they help them to have a working OS X setup with the minimum effort. But as I get more experience over the time I think a great distribution should do more than copying the system files and installing a bootloader (that's what was there for us back at that time).

A distribution I may recommend is a one that:

• Auto-fix wide range of systems in terms of:
    • graphics
    • sound
    • ethernet / wifi / bluetooth
    • sleep
    • mouse / keyboard
    • touchpad / brightness / battery (for laptops)
  • Auto create CPU-PM SSDT and put it in the correct place
  • Auto review of the DSDT (and possibly other SSDT's) to suggest some patches for the end-user and log them
  • Include applications like (MaciASL, ShowHiddenFiles, IORegistryExplorer, Kext Wizard, Clover Configurator, Text Wrangler, a plist editor)
  • More can be added ...

Creating a distribution that works for many people and give them all (or most of) the points above should be awesome but it is a hell of a work. I will be following this thread to see how it will evolve and I hope to see something amazing! All the best  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

i am willing to test as well, currently running Win7x64 htpc (i know) due to i wanted to do a clean install in a virtual environment before i make OSX the primary OS on my drive and since i havent decided if Yosemite is the way to go yet, rather install the system once and not go through a OS upgrade to get to Yosemite like Mt Lion--> Yosemite. my current build is as follows:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 rev 1.1

CPU             : Intel Core i7-4820k with Corsair Hydro H80i

Graphics      : EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked w/ACX Cooler 3GB GDDR5 384bit Dual-Link DVI (03G-P4-2884-KR)

Memory        : 64GB (8x8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 240-pin DDR3 2400 (PC3-19200) QUAD CHANNEL

Main HDD     : Crucial 480gb M500 SSD

Other HDD   : 8 x 4TB Seagate Barracuda XT (Raid 5 Configuration via NewerTech MAXPower eSATA 6G PCIe 2.0 RAID) for Media storage

Power Supply: Seasonic X-1250 1250W 80 Plus Gold Certified Full Modular Power Supply

i too will continue to follow this post.

• Like 1

wow winmacnix I like your system's specs. I bet you are going to love Yosemite. You will need some strategies to get the SSD speeds up to what you expect because there isn't the Apple SSD Controller on a hackintosh. My 2013 iMac for example pins the needles on BlackMagic speed test (700/700 r/w) and that's not easy to do on a hack :)

Erm, not that I want to be the parade rainer but what's the point? Vanilla installations are pretty much well controlled these days with Clover and Chameleon and OS X versions are now free of charge. Who would need yet another generic distro?

For the people without a Mac computer or a working Hackintosh.

I don't like the distros but if they can help people to join this world I'm up for them.

• Like 2

I am willing to test.  I have a lot of current machines with Yosemite installed but for some odd reason I wanted to go back to the days of OSX86 for P4's. I have several of them all running Leopard.  I tried to leap to SL but the issue is with the graphics cards.  Most P4's have either AGP or just PCI and not PCIe so you have to try and find a card that works in SL almost impossible.   I have a Nvidia 6200 both AGP and PCI working OOB with NvDarwin in OSX Leopard 10.5.6.

I also have to use a Legacy Kernel of course the SSE3 emulation for SSE2 only processors P4's and AMD's.

Isn't Leo4All for LEgacy devices and OSX Leopard?  Anyhow if you have updated legacy kernels for Lion/ML as well as possible drivers for older Nv cards I am willing to test.   I almost got NV 6200 working with 32 bit ATY_Init.kext in SL but the screen was washed out.  QE/CI was working.

I remember running leo4all back then, it was pretty good!

But, today "building" an hack is getting a lot easier than before, so we are encouraging people to clean install...

Btw if it is going to be a "freeware" thing it's ok, and could probably help some newbies and some AMD users!

so good luck!

hi..

good to hear about Leo4All, I used v1 and v2 at begin...would like to see it back..can help many people that are just beginning...

seam the AMD release should be more attractive...the goal is an kernel updated frequently..imo

c.frio

• Like 2

I tried to leap to SL but the issue is with the graphics cards.  Most P4's have either AGP or just PCI and not PCIe so you have to try and find a card that works in SL almost impossible.   I have a Nvidia 6200 both AGP and PCI working OOB with NvDarwin in OSX Leopard 10.5.6.

you need to inject it via dsdt.

i've running SL on a good old asus P4P800 (with LGA775 upgrade) with agp and gefroce 7800GS.

keep this dsdt edit in safe place :)  : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/185428-geforce-6200-agp-on-sl/?p=1325737