AMD Hackintosh OSX Yosemite Only boots via safemode -x

Destroya01

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm new to Hackintoshing and would appreciate some assistance.

My Hardware specs are:

Motherboard: AMD Crosshair V

CPU: Phenom II 1090t

RAM: 16GB DDR3

Graphics Card: Quadro FX 3800

HardDrive: Seagate 1TB

I was successfully able to install OSX Yosemite 10.10.1 via my USB Yosemite(installation drive) using AMD kernel (1010-SSEPLUS-Rev.2) from this thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/302075-amd-yosemite-kernel-testing-for-help-use-the-help-topic/page-41

Currently I can get the system to boot from my hard drive installation via these flags: -x -v GraphicsEnabler=Yes npci=0x3000

However, If I want to boot into the Yosemite installer on my USB drive, I type these flags: -v GraphicsEnabler=Yes npci=0x3000

(Notice how if I boot into the Yosemite installer via the USB it does not require the safe mode -x flag.)

Anyway, I also noticed that if I removed all of the nvidia kexts from S/L/E folder, I actually can boot into my Yosemite hard drive installation without the safe mode flag. However, this method isn't really a fix because I obviously want to use my Nvidia card drivers or else the entire desktop will be laggy and I won't have any graphics acceleration.

Even if I place the nvidia kexts back into the S/L/E folder the system does not have graphics acceleration. However, when I check my the "About my MAC" it shows that my graphics card (Quadro Fx 3800) was detected properly.

I also tried an AMD 5850 in the same machine, but same problem, would only get to the login screen if I boot via safe mode.

If I do not use the safe mode flag when booting into my hard drive installation of Yosemite, I am stuck with the spinning color wheel cursor with a white background.

Is there any way to achieve full graphics acceleration and boot into Yosemite without the safe mode flag?

Am I experiencing two separate problems or are they related somehow?

Thank you so much!!!! It worked!!!

Can you show me where you read about these kexts?

In the guide I followed it never even mentioned these kexts (even though the guide was for AMD hackintosh and Yosemite).

it is normal because it is not systematic, it depends on the motherboard and the problem often comes on the UEFI motherboards, old motherboards do not have this problem. ;) 

• Like 1