Mieze

IntelMausiEthernet.kext for Intel onboard LAN

929 posts in this topic

Here is a short list of things to test:

1.) Boot

2.) IP address acquisition via DHCP.

3.) Cable unplug and replug. (Test several times!)

4.) Sleep/wake cycles (Test several times!).

Mieze

THANKS Mieze! As for now all the 4 points are working as expected here. Asus Z370 Prime A and i7-8700K. In case of malfunctioning I'll report back. 

Have a nice day  :)

Advertisement

This is the first test build of version 2.4.0 of IntelMausiEthernet which updates the underlying Linux sources and adds official support for Coffee Lake. All users are encouraged to test it thoroughly. Although I tested it successfully on my I218V, you should keep in mind that this is work in progress which can't be expected to be 100% stable. In case things go wrong and you end up with a kernel panic, you should be prepared to recover your system from that situation.

Here is a short list of things to test:

1.) Boot

2.) IP address acquisition via DHCP.

3.) Cable unplug and replug. (Test several times!)

4.) Sleep/wake cycles (Test several times!).

In any case, please report back with attached kernel logs of the test run including the boot sequence. In case you need instructions how to retrieve them, please refer to post#1 of the driver's thread in the forum.

Good luck!

Mieze

Yay! Well done! Really fulfilled my wish, accidentally solved my problem. 
    This version of the driver works fine on my laptop, and I tested it against the list you provided. every one passed. The attachment is a log of the startup process and the process of plug and unplug cable three times. There is a small detail, that is, plug the cable for the first time after boot, there will be a chance to Auto-negotiation in 10M full-duplex state.
    thanks again!

bootlog1.zip

Hello Mieze and greetings from Austria :-) Thank you for developing your driver, I appreciate that I can just download drivers such as your kexts for free when you surely put quite some time into it.

Now I have a new mainboard with the new 300 coffee lake series, the Supero C7Z370-CG-L. It uses the i219 (v2) with device ID 0x15b8. Neither your 2.3.0 version nor your newest 2.4.0d0 works, unfortunately.

With both versions, the kext enables the NIC and recognizes when I plug in the network cable. But there is no actual connection, it does not receive an IP address via DHCP and when I configure the IP address settings manually, no connection can be established.

With Windows 10 on a second drive, the NIC works just fine. I tried unplugging and plugging in the cable several times. Furthermore I also tried the E1000 driver and the exact same behaviour occurs. Cable is recognized when connected, but no actual connection is established.

macOS autoconfigures to: 1000baseT, full-duplex, energy-efficient-ethernet, MTU Standard 1500. Playing around with those settings and reverting to 100Mbit/s does not change the behaviour.

Now I will try to figure out how to get the log files you asked for in your previous post about the 2.4.0d0 version and I'll write another post with the logs attached. I haven't checked them yet and I am not sure how to get them, yet.

Since the kext seems to respond to the device ID and macOS tries to use your kext for the NIC, I am afraid that maybe your driver just does not contain the code to run this NIC properly :( It's a very new mainboard and even though the i219v2 isn't such a new NIC, perhaps my mainboard has a new version of this NIC that isn't known yet?

I disabled the NIC in the UEFI, but the UEFI is a mess compared to Asus and Gigabyte, settings aren't explained at all (the user guide that comes with it does not contain them either, and that's supposed to be a professional supermicro product...) and so I am not sure if that is all done correctly. Perhaps I am missing a UEFI setting?

Thanks!

Hello Mieze and greetings from Austria :-) Thank you for developing your driver, I appreciate that I can just download drivers such as your kexts for free when you surely put quite some time into it.

Now I have a new mainboard with the new 300 coffee lake series, the Supero C7Z370-CG-L. It uses the i219 (v2) with device ID 0x15b8. Neither your 2.3.0 version nor your newest 2.4.0d0 works, unfortunately.

With both versions, the kext enables the NIC and recognizes when I plug in the network cable. But there is no actual connection, it does not receive an IP address via DHCP and when I configure the IP address settings manually, no connection can be established.

With Windows 10 on a second drive, the NIC works just fine. I tried unplugging and plugging in the cable several times. Furthermore I also tried the E1000 driver and the exact same behaviour occurs. Cable is recognized when connected, but no actual connection is established.

macOS autoconfigures to: 1000baseT, full-duplex, energy-efficient-ethernet, MTU Standard 1500. Playing around with those settings and reverting to 100Mbit/s does not change the behaviour.

Now I will try to figure out how to get the log files you asked for in your previous post about the 2.4.0d0 version and I'll write another post with the logs attached. I haven't checked them yet and I am not sure how to get them, yet.

Since the kext seems to respond to the device ID and macOS tries to use your kext for the NIC, I am afraid that maybe your driver just does not contain the code to run this NIC properly :( It's a very new mainboard and even though the i219v2 isn't such a new NIC, perhaps my mainboard has a new version of this NIC that isn't known yet?

I disabled the NIC in the UEFI, but the UEFI is a mess compared to Asus and Gigabyte, settings aren't explained at all (the user guide that comes with it does not contain them either, and that's supposed to be a professional supermicro product...) and so I am not sure if that is all done correctly. Perhaps I am missing a UEFI setting?

Thanks!

According to the specs, there shouldn't be any problems with this chip. Get me the kernel logs with at least one complete boot sequence and we will se what's going on.

Mieze

Thank you for the quick reply. Here is the log for "log show --predicate "processID == 0" --debug"

The ethernet cable was plugged in from the beginning, at around time 23:24:49 I unplugged it and at around 23:25:10 I plugged it in again.

I will look through the log now myself, but unless it's something trivial and especially if the driver itself needs a change, I'll surely need help. Thanks for your time!

logoneboot.txt

Thank you for the quick reply. Here is the log for "log show --predicate "processID == 0" --debug"

The ethernet cable was plugged in from the beginning, at around time 23:24:49 I unplugged it and at around 23:25:10 I plugged it in again.

I will look through the log now myself, but unless it's something trivial and especially if the driver itself needs a change, I'll surely need help. Thanks for your time!

There is no indication for a driver problem in the kernel logs. The NIC seems to work fine. Please check the network configuration as it might be messed up causing such strange behavior.

By the way, your ACPI data needs some attention as there are several ACPI related errors in the log file.

Mieze

Thank you - I will check on the ACPI errors, I saw those too. It might be due to me simply installing a fresh system with Clover and not installing any DSDT patches or what is sometimes done afterwards since the system works just fine as it is (except for the NIC). I just intalled vanilla High Sierra with nvidia web drivers and then made it bootable with Clover, that worked on my other (older) hackintosh just fine.

Unfortunately there isn't anything with the network config that I can check, I use good quality managed switches and have dozens of computers in the network including the other hackintosh and several real Macs, and all work well.

I just tried attaching another computer NIC <-> NIC with a static IPv4 address config and tried pings, but unsuccessfully. I can try to further check with Wireshark to see what happens, but I see no DHCP discovery packet received on my pfsense firewall/router, so not even the initial DHCP packet makes it out of the NIC.

I agree that there are no errors related to your driver visible in the log, so it should be working just fine. But since 0 packets make it across the wire, the NIC obviously isn't working properly, for whatever reason...

I just tried attaching another computer NIC <-> NIC with a static IPv4 address config and tried pings, but unsuccessfully. I can try to further check with Wireshark to see what happens, but I see no DHCP discovery packet received on my pfsense firewall/router, so not even the initial DHCP packet makes it out of the NIC.

I agree that there are no errors related to your driver visible in the log, so it should be working just fine. But since 0 packets make it across the wire, the NIC obviously isn't working properly, for whatever reason...

No, but I doubt that any packet has ever made it too the NIC. In case of a transmitter hang, the driver resets the chip so that there would be log messages indicating a chip reset every few seconds but there isn't anything like that. Please check the network statistics of the NIC and report back.

Mieze

That crossover cable hasn't been required anymore for years, NICs automatically switch it over nowadays. In any case, you are correct, Mieze, there are actually dhcp discover packets reaching the pfsense firewall/router, and it responds with a dhcp offer packet in return. Then this starts over, DHCP never completes. I was checking the wrong log before, sorry about that.

I see a curious behaviour with a static configuration: When I ping the static IP address, the received packets count in the statistics counts up for each ping that I send. So apparently the NIC receives packets. But on the host I send the pings from, I get a timeout, so the reply packet for my ping is not being sent out.

To sum this up: The NIC seems to be receiving packets but not sending out packets, other than that initial request for DHCP when it's enabled. At least that describes the problem enough for searching for it on google...

To sum this up: The NIC seems to be receiving packets but not sending out packets, other than that initial request for DHCP when it's enabled. At least that describes the problem enough for searching for it on google...

In case of a transmitter hang, the driver would reset the NIC every few seconds and unless there are those messages there is no indication for a driver bug. Looks more like a DHCP or routing problem. You might also want to try to disable EEE (select medium manually) as it sometimes causes strange things

Mieze

Oh. God. I just resolved it. You were right all along, it was my networking equipment. Reason was: I installed this new hardware, needed a longer ethernet cable and thus used a different switch port to plug it in, that switch port had the VLAN set to tagged instead of untagged. While Windows was able to handle this - or rather, Windows ignored it - macOS was obviously not happy.

...immediately after I set that switch port from tagged to untagged, DHCP received the address and it's resolved. So now I am one of those people "my stuff is fine, i know my stuff, it can't be my stuff... oh it was my stuff..."

Thanks for making the time. I might not have found the issue without your hint.

Hi Mieze,

after several weeks of using I must say there is something unusual: after wakeup my rig (the one in signature) often freezes, it happens mainly in Safari and after that only mouse is working and nothing else. And that point I have the only chance to hard reboot the machine. 

So I reverted back to v. 2.3.0 that still works with my mobo and these behaviours have almost disappeared. 

But As I cannot be sure it depends on your ethernet kext, before sending you any log or other data I kindly ask you to point me to some tutorial where I can learn how to make a diagnostic report from the console and its log files. I really know nothing about them. 

After that if I find some evidence that the problem can be truly related with your kext, I'll send the proper data to you. In the meanwhile if you have new betas to test I'd glad to give it a try. 

Thank you! 

3 hours ago, hackaro said:

Hi Mieze,

after several weeks of using I must say there is something unusual: after wakeup my rig (the one in signature) often freezes, it happens mainly in Safari and after that only mouse is working and nothing else. And that point I have the only chance to hard reboot the machine. 

So I reverted back to v. 2.3.0 that still works with my mobo and these behaviours have almost disappeared. 

But As I cannot be sure it depends on your ethernet kext, before sending you any log or other data I kindly ask you to point me to some tutorial where I can learn how to make a diagnostic report from the console and its log files. I really know nothing about them. 

After that if I find some evidence that the problem can be truly related with your kext, I'll send the proper data to you. In the meanwhile if you have new betas to test I'd glad to give it a try. 

Thank you! 

According to the problem description I can almost rule out a driver bug. Sounds more like a messed up system (system caches, in particular as 2.3.0. doesn't exhibit this behavior) or a general wakeup issue (DSDT, etc.). Anyways, see post#1 of this thread for instructions how to collect kernel logs in case you find something contradicting my thesis.

Mieze

41 minutes ago, Mieze said:

I'm sorry but the X550 is a device with a completely different architecture. :(

Mieze

Is it possible to use the " dsdt " method. Seeking guidance:blush:

Just now, liuhongxin1993 said:

Is it possible to use the " dsdt " method. Seeking guidance:blush:

As already stated, the X550 has a completely different architecture and can't be supported by IntelMausiEthernet. Sorry!

Mieze

On ‎2018‎年‎4‎月‎7‎日 at 8:04 PM, Mieze said:

As already stated, the X550 has a completely different architecture and can't be supported by IntelMausiEthernet. Sorry!

Mieze

x540 driver ,Can modify it?Seek guidance。。。。。:blush::blush:

SmallTreeIntel8259x.kext.zip

Linux:ixgbe-5.3.6.tar.zip

https://www.small-tree.com/support/download_category?cat_id=6

Adding 10 gigabit ethernet networking to your hackintosh is now extremely easy. You simply need to add these three kexts to your EFI/CLOVER/KEXTS/OTHER folder and you will have a working card! This method works so far on the following cards:

Supported devices for SmallTreeIntel8254x.kext:

• 8086:1010 82546EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper)
  • 8086:1011 82545EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Fiber)
  • 8086:1012 82546EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Fiber)
  • 8086:101d 82546EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller
  • 8086:1026 82545GM Gigabit Ethernet Controller
  • 8086:1027 82545GM Gigabit Ethernet Controller
  • 8086:1028 82545GM Gigabit Ethernet Controller
  • 8086:105e 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Also covered by AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext)
  • 8086:105f 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller
  • 8086:1079 82546GB Gigabit Ethernet Controller
  • 8086:107a 82546GB Gigabit Ethernet Controller
  • 8086:107b 82546GB Gigabit Ethernet Controller
  • 8086:107c 82541PI Gigabit Ethernet Controller
  • 8086:107d 82572EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper)
  • 8086:107e 82572EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Fiber)
  • 8086:10a4 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller
  • 8086:10b5 82546GB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper)
  • 8086:10b9 82572EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper)
  • 8086:10bc 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper)

SmallTreeIntel82576.kext:

• 8086:1521 I350 Gigabit Network Connection
  • 8086:1522 I350 Gigabit Fiber Network Connection
  • 8086:1533 I210 Gigabit Network Connection (Also covered by AppleIntelI210Ethernet.kext)

SmallTreeIntel8259x.kext:

• 8086:10c6 82598EB 10-Gigabit AF Dual Port Network Connection
  • 8086:10c7 82598EB 10-Gigabit AF Network Connection
  • 8086:10c8 82598EB 10-Gigabit AT Network Connection
  • 8086:10ec 82598EB 10-Gigabit AT CX4 Network Connection
  • 8086:10d8 82599EB 10 Gigabit Network Connection
  • 8086:10fb 82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ Network Connection
  • 8086:10f1 82598EB 10-Gigabit AF Dual Port Network Connection
  • 8086:151c 82599 10 Gigabit TN Network Connection
  • 8086:150b 82598EB 10-Gigabit AT2 Server Adapter
  • 8086:1528 Ethernet Controller 10-Gigabit X540-AT2
  • 8086:10fc 82599 10 Gigabit Dual Port Network Connection
  • 8086:1560 Ethernet Controller X540

@liuhongxin1993: This is off-topic. Please create a new thread in order to keep this one focused on IntelMausiEthernet.

Hello,

The new B360 motherboard now uses the new Intel I219-V with Device ID 8086_15BC. I tried adding the Device ID to the current 2.3.0 release but as expected, it wouldn't work. Would you mind take a look at it ?

Edited by vusun123

2 hours ago, vusun123 said:

Hello,

The new B360 motherboard now uses the new Intel I219-V with Device ID 8086_15BC. I tried adding the Device ID to the current 2.3.0 release but as expected, it wouldn't work. Would you mind take a look at it ?

Try version 2.4.0d0 which can be found here in this thread because it already supports this chip.

Mieze

Here is a new development version of the driver (2.4.0d2) which changes interaction with the ME during sleep/wake and cable plug cycles in order to resolve problems with LM chips which support AMT. All users are encouraged to test it thoroughly, in particular those with LM versions of the supported NICs. Tests should focus on sleep/wake and cable plug/unplug events.

Good luck!

Mieze :cat:

IntelMausiEthernet-V2.4.0d2.zip