How to: Intel Pentium G3XXX and Celeron G1XXX (Haswell) works with speedstep Yosemite 10.10 and Mavericks 10.9

stinga11

237 posts in this topic

The Pentium Haswell only works with mountain lion 10.8.5. But with clover and a little bit of work it is possible have a pentium haswell working in the latest version of Mac OS X.

1. The first thing we do it Is enter into our bios setting and change the following options:

CPU enhanced halt (C1E) to ENABLED
C3 State Support to DISABLED
C6/C7 State Support to DISABLED
CPU Thermal Monitor to ENABLED
CPU EIST Function to DISABLED

2. For this solution is required use Clover. 

a. Well here is the magic with this CPUID we convert our pentium into a IVY BRIDGE CPU.
	<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
	<dict>
		<key>FakeCPUID</key>
		<string>0x0306A0</string>
	</dict>

b. This arguments is for use XNU Power Management instead AICPM.

<key>Boot</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Arguments</key>
		<string>-xcpm</string>
	</dict>

c. The only three definitions that speedstep works are: (Macmini6,2) (iMac13,1) (iMac13,2)

<key>SMBIOS</key>
	<dict>
		<key>ProductName</key>
		<string>Macmini6,2</string>
	</dict>

d. This table needs to be removed or otherwise is not possible to use the Macmini6,2 definition. (This step is not necessary if the iMac definition is used)

<key>ACPI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>DropTables</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Signature</key>
				<string>MCFG</string>
			</dict>
		</array>
	</dict>

I leave a config.plist already edited for the people with no experience with Clover. config.plist.zip

3. The only thing left to do is create a ssdt for our processor.

a. Download the Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh

curl -o ~/ssdtPRGen.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh/Beta/ssdtPRGen.sh

b. The next step is to set the execute/search bits by entering this terminal command:

chmod +x ~/ssdtPRGen.sh

c. Run the ssdtPRGen.sh for first time.

./ssdtPRGen.sh -c 2

d. Obviously ssdtPRGen.sh it does nothing because it do not have the necessary information. Download the Haswell.cfg edited with pentium information descompress and put into the ~/library/ssdtPRGen/Data. You can use the terminal for open the folder.

open ~/library/ssdtPRGen/Data 

Haswell.cfg.zip

4. Run again the ssdtPRGen.sh using the name of your processor If your have a G3258 run:

./ssdtPRGen.sh -c 2 -p G3258

Or if you have a G1850

./ssdtPRGen.sh -c 2 -p G1850

Once finished you will have the ssdt.aml on the ~/Library/ssdtPRGen/. Move it to /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched

If your motherboard is series 8 rename to SSDT-2.aml but if is series 9 rename to SSDT-4.aml

Note: The list of Pentium and celeron Haswell processors are not complete I only added the Processors that has a 53W of TDP. If you want to add another processor to the list, edit it for yourself the Haswell.cfg

• Like 9

Does it work on this

Pentium G3220 Haswell Dual-Core 3.0GHz LGA 1150 54W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646G3220

What is HDgraphic, 4000? 5000? or what

Sorry but the graphics card of the pentium haswell does not has support on Mac OS X.

DOES THE CPU WORKS WITH THIS METHOD?

Thank you,

i can pickup3258, cost a little more.

Yes the 3258 works with this method but if you want to use a CPU graphics Card you need an i3,i5 or i7

DOES THE CPU WORKS WITH THIS METHOD?

Thank you, 

i can pickup

3258, cost a little more.

The problem with using the G3220 is that you would have to find a graphics card that works out of the box otherwise you will not be able to complete the setup. If you have a graphics card that does not need any drivers/kexts installed, that CPU should work with this method.

The G3258 can give you a lot more performance though so I would pay a little extra for that if you can.

• 2 weeks later...

I just made a new build using the G3220 53W (Plan to use for about 5 months then go i5) and am trying to get it working and came across here :) While I was waiting on my parts coming I got 10.10 to run on a celeron 847 1.1ghz and thought this would be just as easy  :rolleyes: 

Thanks for guide. Works great!

• Like 1

Great read stinga! do you know if this will work on the G1840

Thanks!

edited: the G1840 line. Thanks syscl!

gDesktopHaswellCPUList=(
#FCLGA1150
G3460,53,800,3500,3500,2,2
G3450,53,800,3400,3400,2,2
G3440,53,800,3300,3300,2,2
G3430,53,800,3300,3300,2,2
G3420,53,800,3200,3200,2,2
G3258,53,800,3200,3200,2,2
G3250,53,800,3200,3200,2,2
G3240,53,800,3100,3100,2,2
G3220,53,800,3000,3000,2,2
G1840,53,800,2800,2800,2,2
)
  • Like 1

I never had to do any of this but spoof the CPU ID.  Not sure why everyone else had to do this.

If you install Mavericks or Yosemite with another cpuid the speedstep doesn't works.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

stinga11, you rock!!!

I want to say big thank you!!

Yours is the only method that works on my Asus H97I-Plus with Pentium G3258 on Yosemite 10.10.2.

Speedstep works too, but I didn't do anything special in the bios other than optimized defaults.

Processor show as Intel Core i5, but Geekbench is not fooled. Geekbench knows it's Pentium G3258.

I have good hope that this method will work with Macmini7,1 too. It's a more exact match for the Haswell generation we have.

stinga11, you rock!!!

I want to say big thank you!!

Yours is the only method that works on my Asus H97I-Plus with Pentium G3258 on Yosemite 10.10.2.

Speedstep works too, but I didn't do anything special in the bios other than optimized defaults.

Processor show as Intel Core i5, but Geekbench is not fooled. Geekbench knows it's Pentium G3258.

I have good hope that this method will work with Macmini7,1 too. It's a more exact match for the Haswell generation we have.

Glad to see that the guide works for you. But I do not recommend using the SMBIOS Haswell with pentium processors because in my test I only get two Pstate but when use Ivy smbios I get four or five Pstate.

Hi guys! do you think it's possible to install Yosemite or Maveriks in a desktop pc build with the following components? :

CPU
Intel Pentium G3220/Haswell-DT Refresh
cache:2 x (32 + 32 + 256) + 3M
MBoard
GIGABYTE H81M-HD2 / Intel H81 (Lynx Point) UEFI

GPU
Pegatron Radeon HD 7570
ATI/AMD Radeon HD 7570 / 1 GB - DDR3 SDRAM - 128-bit
PCIe v2.0 x16 (5.0 Gb/s) @ x16 (5.0 Gb/s)

4GB RAM
DDR3-1600 / PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM UDIMM
----
do you think if i add a graphics kext compatible driver for the Radeon 7570 ( i could try -ATI6000Controller(10.9).kext.) in the usb installer before attemp the setup would be big chance of success?

Hi guys! do you think it's possible to install Yosemite or Maveriks in a desktop pc build with the following components? :

CPU
Intel Pentium G3220/Haswell-DT Refresh
cache:2 x (32 + 32 + 256) + 3M
MBoard
GIGABYTE H81M-HD2 / Intel H81 (Lynx Point) UEFI

GPU
Pegatron Radeon HD 7570
ATI/AMD Radeon HD 7570 / 1 GB - DDR3 SDRAM - 128-bit
PCIe v2.0 x16 (5.0 Gb/s) @ x16 (5.0 Gb/s)

4GB RAM
DDR3-1600 / PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM UDIMM
----
do you think if i add a graphics kext compatible driver for the Radeon 7570 ( i could try -ATI6000Controller(10.9).kext.) in the usb installer before attemp the setup would be big chance of success?

If you follow this guide should have no problem. The only thing I'm not sure we'll work is the video card. You can search this site, information about the video card you have to see if anyone has made it that works.

• Like 1

Hello Stinga11 and other readers of this post, 

I have built at least a dozen hackintoshes over the that few years and spent days searching and testing various methods, but this has me stumped. My question is this:

Why won’t the Intel onboard graphics work with the Pentium g3258?

My build is:

Gigabyte GA_B85M-DS3H

Pentium G3258 BX80646G3258

4gb ADATA Gaming Series RAM

500gb WD Blue HD

600watt Thermaltake PSU

I have tried several guides from various hackintosh forums using clover, chimera and chameleon, but nothing goes past the bootloader. Chamelon halts at " VM: swap subsystem is on" and clover just flashes black and reboots. Why can I see the apple logo and the chimera “GUI” if there is no video?

I have tried the Azul/Capri framebuffer edits which worked on my other intel HD graphics, but no luck.

I know that the guides say you must use a GPU, but I am trying to make this as small a form factor as possible with mATX. 

With the number of these Gigabyte/Pentium combos sold, it would seem that the popularity would drive the necessary development for an OS X install. 

It would be very helpful to have:

BIOS Settings for this motherboard in Mavericks/Yosemite

Boot Flags needed

one definitive guide for 1150 mobo settings

Thanks in advance, and I marvel at your abilities to solve these tricky problems

This is my first post, so I hope I got all the rules right.

Hello Stinga11 and other readers of this post, 

I have built at least a dozen hackintoshes over the that few years and spent days searching and testing various methods, but this has me stumped. My question is this:

Why won’t the Intel onboard graphics work with the Pentium g3258?

My build is:

Gigabyte GA_B85M-DS3H

Pentium G3258 BX80646G3258

4gb ADATA Gaming Series RAM

500gb WD Blue HD

600watt Thermaltake PSU

I have tried several guides from various hackintosh forums using clover, chimera and chameleon, but nothing goes past the bootloader. Chamelon halts at " VM: swap subsystem is on" and clover just flashes black and reboots. Why can I see the apple logo and the chimera “GUI” if there is no video?

I have tried the Azul/Capri framebuffer edits which worked on my other intel HD graphics, but no luck.

I know that the guides say you must use a GPU, but I am trying to make this as small a form factor as possible with mATX. 

With the number of these Gigabyte/Pentium combos sold, it would seem that the popularity would drive the necessary development for an OS X install. 

It would be very helpful to have:

BIOS Settings for this motherboard in Mavericks/Yosemite

Boot Flags needed

one definitive guide for 1150 mobo settings

Thanks in advance, and I marvel at your abilities to solve these tricky problems

This is my first post, so I hope I got all the rules right.

It is possible that someone with ability and free time can solve the problem that has the pentium graphics card. But right now you can not use this graphics card with mac, the only solution for you is to buy a nvidia/amd card or use another intel processor.

I have the Pentium GPU fully loaded under Mac OS X and HDMI Audio running under 10.8.5. That said OpenCL and OpenGL are not loaded and those Drivers will Need to be patched if that can even be done...

If you are using one of my Haswell SSDT's it should load the Basic Drivers...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,stinga. I've finished the installation of yosemite just with the arguments of "kext-dev-mode=1" and "FakeCPUID=0x0306A0".

The problem now that annoyed me is that the Celeron G1840 worked in a fixed frequency.

I've edited the SSDT with the table of CpuPM, and the kernel log shows that "can't get CState".

I can't download your Haswell.cfg, can you please show me your Haswell.cfg or how it define. Thx!

Hi,stinga. I've finished the installation of yosemite just with the arguments of "kext-dev-mode=1" and "FakeCPUID=0x0306A0". The problem now that annoyed me is that the Celeron G1840 worked in a fixed frequency. I've edited the SSDT with the table of CpuPM, and the kernel log shows that "can't get CState". I can't download your Haswell.cfg, can you please show me your Haswell.cfg or how it define. Thx!

Hi, you need edit the haswell.cfg and add the following information

and then generate the ssdt, using this arg.

./ssdtPRGen.sh -c 2 -p G1840

&nbsp;

Hi, you need edit the haswell.cfg and add the following information

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

and then generate the ssdt, using this arg.

&nbsp;

./ssdtPRGen.sh -c 2 -p&nbsp;G1840

&nbsp;

Great thx for your reply!With the new ssdtPRGen.sh and the proper configuration of Haswell.cfg (also with the necessary argument -xcpm in clover), the speedstep works perfectly.

However, with your setup in MSI H87M-G43/S01's BIOS, Finder could not work. Hence, I enabled all C-State functions and EIST as well.

Maybe, to disable the EIST and C-State functions in BIOS is no more necessary.

-----------------------------------------------

I've test 3 different SMBIOS (Macmini6,2, iMac13,2, iMac14,2). Obviously, those three types of SMBIOS will affect the speedstep. Unfortunately, the SMBIOS of Ivy Bridge scores lower than iMac14,2 in GeekBench.

------------------------------------------------

Hardware

CPU Celeron G1840

MotherBoard MSI H87M-G43/S01

Memory 1*ADATA 4G DDR3 1600MHz

Harddisk Intel SSD 525 180GB

Videocard Pegatron Geforce G210 5

------------------------------------------------

////