avin7000

[Guide] Install Windows 8 UEFI on Legacy BIOS with Clover (and Dual boot with Yosemite)

99 posts in this topic

Advertisement

@jacopers,

We need more information but most likely a problem with your target disk's partitioning. 

What is the output of running diskutil list in OSX terminal?

Can you install and run GDisk and use the 'p' option to print the partition table and the 'v' to verify the disk for any partition problems?

See man page and post#359 for examples of how to use GDisk.

Also search google for people with the same error eg here and here.  Some have fixed the error by deleting their Windows partition and recreating it....

PS It's possible to boot Windows with its own bootloader and chainload to Clover/Chameleon to boot OSX if all else fails - see Using EasyBCD to Chainload Chameleon or Clover from the legacy Windows Bootloader.

What kind of information do you guys want this is the first time I've used this website I'm not a newb I just having this problem that no one can figure out

Hello!

I'm trying to do this on ASUS K53SV laptop.

I managed to do the USB installer with 3 partitions:

1. Yosemite

2. WIN8.1 [windows 8.1 pro]

3 free [will be ubuntu]

I installed Yosemite and clover and it's working [have to install some kext but i will do that after i reach my gol, triple boot]

The problem is i can't install windows booting from the USB.

I had 2 options:

EFI cdboot  --- or --- EFI mgrmenu

I followed step nr. 3 from the Extras section, but still without any results.

Here is the error

post-1372324-0-56251600-1435524465_thumb.jpg

What should i do?

Note: ASUS K53SV bios doesn;t have so manny boot settings. i can enable UEFI boot and set to AHCI [settings that matters for OS X]

Hello!

I'm trying to do this on ASUS K53SV laptop.

I managed to do the USB installer with 3 partitions:

1. Yosemite

2. WIN8.1 [windows 8.1 pro]

3 free [will be ubuntu]

I installed Yosemite and clover and it's working [have to install some kext but i will do that after i reach my gol, triple boot]

The problem is i can't install windows booting from the USB.

I had 2 options:

EFI cdboot --- or --- EFI mgrmenu

I followed step nr. 3 from the Extras section, but still without any results.

Here is the error

20150628231318.jpg

What should i do?

Note: ASUS K53SV bios doesn;t have so manny boot settings. i can enable UEFI boot and set to AHCI [settings that matters for OS X]

Ok so remake the usb installer and then copy bootx64.efi from efi/boot. Then paste it in efi/boot/Microsoft. And then rename it to bootmgfw.efi and then rename cdboot.efi to cdboot.bak and then it should work

Ok so remake the usb installer and then copy bootx64.efi from efi/boot. Then paste it in efi/boot/Microsoft. And then rename it to bootmgfw.efi and then rename cdboot.efi to cdboot.bak and then it should work

efi/Microsoft/boot

done that but still the same error

@AdyR,

If you formatted your USB installer with Disk Utility as GUID and added a FAT partition, it converts the disk to hybrid MBR/GPT and cause the error you posted.  You need to convert it back to full GPT with "protective MBR" as shown in post#359.

For some legacy BIOS machines, it maybe necessary to format your USB installer as MBR -

see post #29 Create a multi-boot Clover MBR installer USB or

[Guide] Dual-boot with Windows 10 TP - Legacy or UEFI to create the MBR installer with RUFUS

I did it! THANKS!

I created a new usb installer only with win 8.1 using [Guide] Dual-boot with Windows 10 TP - Legacy or UEFI, i followed this guide How to convert a hybrid MBR drive to GPT to be able to install windows on the drive and i installed windows 8.1. After the installation, i went into bios and set "My SSD drive" as first boot option instead of "Windows boot manager" and it's working.

Now, the last part, to install Ubuntu 15.04.

I will remake my tripleboot USB device wich currently have 3 partitions on it, but only the 1st one [yosemite] is working, 2nd one [windows] doesn't boot and the 3rd one was for ubuntu, but never copied the files.

So, any advices? or just follow post#29 from create a multi-boot Clover MBR installer USB and then follow the first part of the same post?

LE:

1.    In Disk Utility, create an extra 200MB FAT32 partition.  In the screenshot below, I’ve named this CLOVER.

a. Choose 4 Partition Layout with 5GB FAT32 for WIN, 3GB FAT32 for LINUX, 8GB HFS+ for OSX (if using a 16GB or larger USB).

b. Unmount, then format the 200MB CLOVER partition to FAT32 using terminal:

diskutil list
diskutil unmount
/dev/diskXs1 (where X=disk number of USB)
sudo newfs_msdos -v CLOVER -F 32 /dev/rdiskXs1

c. Under “Options”, choose MBR format

So, i set the capacity and names for the new partitions in Disk Utility, set MBP in options, hit apply and then the unmount&format part. so, the order was a-c-b. is that correct?

Also, the correct command is /dev/rdiskXs1 or /dev/diskXs1 ?

I'm kinda confused and don't want to mess it up

LE2:

I made it! Tripleboot!

Thanks a lot for the guides and all the help!

Edited by AdyR

Hi Thanks for the guide.
I followed the guide but i have some problems after first restart (on Yosemite Install), i restart boot from USB and in clover selected Boot OS X Install From Install OS X Yosemite for finishing the installation, but it starts loading and then suddenly the monitor is not receiving signal and the computer is on.

This are my specs:

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R rev 2.0 Bios version FH
-Network RTL8111E
-Audio Realtek ALC889 codec
Core i7 960
EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB
4 x Patriot Signature Line 4 GB DDR3 @ 1066Mhz.
1 x SSD Samsung EVO 850 250GB

I hope you can Help me.

Thanks in Advance!

Can someone tell me if there's an easy way for transfering files between the partitions?  I see the Windows partition under the OSX file system, but cannot transfer anything to it since it is formatted as NTFS (right?).  It's too slow to boot into OSX, transfer a large file to a flash drive, reboot the computer, load up Windows and finally transfer the files from the flash drive.

@lolwatpear,

• You can create a shared DATA partition, formatted FAT32 or exFAT so both Windows & OSX can read/write files to it.
  • You can install an NTFS driver for OSX eg Tuxera NTFS ---> read/write files on your Windows partition

There are mixed reports from people installing Paragon HFS for Windows to read/write to their OSX partition.

I have a situation where I am trying to install windows legacy but I can't boot windows from clover I do have legacy clover installed just trying to figure out how I can boot from it from clover

Hi Thanks for the guide.

I followed the guide but i have some problems after first restart (on Yosemite Install), i restart boot from USB and in clover selected Boot OS X Install From Install OS X Yosemite for finishing the installation, but it starts loading and then suddenly the monitor is not receiving signal and the computer is on.

This are my specs:

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R rev 2.0 Bios version FH

-Network RTL8111E

-Audio Realtek ALC889 codec

Core i7 960

EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB

4 x Patriot Signature Line 4 GB DDR3 @ 1066Mhz.

1 x SSD Samsung EVO 850 250GB

I hope you can Help me.

Thanks in Advance!

Hi is there some one could help me with this.

Thanks in Advance!

Thanks in Advance!

This is Off-topic :D

It's not related to what we're talking about in this guide since it's an OS X install issue but my guess is that you have to boot with nv_disable=1 bootflag in order to reach the installation screen.

Don't forget that GeForce GTX 780 = NVIDIA Maxwell Architecture and that is not natively supported on OS X. You must install NVIDIA webdrivers to have full support and you can only do that when the OS is actually installed.

This is Off-topic :D

It's not related to what we're talking about in this guide since it's an OS X install issue but my guess is that you have to boot with nv_disable=1 bootflag in order to reach the installation screen.

Don't forget that GeForce GTX 780 = NVIDIA Maxwell Architecture and that is not natively supported on OS X. You must install NVIDIA webdrivers to have full support and you can only do that when the OS is actually installed.

kind of what nv_disable=1 disables your nvidia graphics card installed and uses your onboard graphics instead. so nv_disable=1 just disables the card if its in your system then boots with internel graphics so the idea is install OS X then install nvidia web drivers from nvidia then boot without the flag and your card should be working with full acceleration.

Thanks in Advance!

you might be in a big pickle i looked up the cpu i7 960 and it seems to not have any intrigated graphics so since your graphics card ain't supported only thing i can think of is buy the cheapest graphics card that is natively supported in OS X since your cpu has no internel graphics kind of in a bad situation.

Edit: Also are you using a DSDT

kind of what nv_disable=1 disables your nvidia graphics card installed and uses your onboard graphics instead. so nv_disable=1 just disables the card if its in your system then boots with internel graphics so the idea is install OS X then install nvidia web drivers from nvidia then boot without the flag and your card should be working with full acceleration.

you might be in a big pickle i looked up the cpu i7 960 and it seems to not have any intrigated graphics so since your graphics card ain't supported only thing i can think of is buy the cheapest graphics card that is natively supported in OS X since your cpu has no internel graphics kind of in a bad situation.

There's no need to use an eventual integrated chipset from the CPU like Intel HD's. Bootflag nv_disable=1 will temporary disable the NVIDIA OS X stock kexts. That's just enough to reach the OS X install screen/desktop and then install the webdrivers.

It's that simple :D.

But please, again this is off-topic and you should ask in the correct parts of the forum which are here, here or here ;).

I have a situation where I am trying to install windows legacy but I can't boot windows from clover I do have legacy clover installed just trying to figure out how I can boot from it from clover

i still don't understand this if someone could help me i went to tonymac they couldnt figure this out either i'm very confused haven't been able to fix it still.

@jacopers,

The whole point of this thread is to install Windows in UEFI mode on legacy BIOS machines for best compatibility with Clover.  Besides saying nothing works, you still haven't provided basic information (requested in post#52) such as how your disk is partitioned and how/where you installed Clover (to the OSX partition or EFI?).

Assuming you installed Clover in legacy mode onto your OSX partition (with boot file and EFI folder in the root directory) and Windows is installed in legacy mode, you can try this workaround:

Chainload Clover or Chameleon from the legacy Windows Bootloader using EasyBCD 2.2

1.  Boot into your Windows installation using a Chameleon boot USB.

2.  Install and run  EasyBCD 2.2.  Click BCD Deployment and under MBR Configuration Options, select "Install the Windows Vista/7 bootloader to the MBR" ---> click "Write MBR".

post-846696-0-97329300-1437299680_thumb.png

3.  Click on the Add New Entry Button.  Under "Operating Systems" click the Mac tab and select "MBR" for mode.  You can then click "Add Entry".

post-846696-0-85401900-1437299756_thumb.png

4.  Click the Edit Boot Menu button to rename your new menu entry from the default "NST Mac OS X" eg I've named mine "Clover" since we will chainload to Clover.  You can also move the entry up/down, set a timeout etc.

post-846696-0-04055600-1437299816_thumb.png

5.  Save Settings, exit EasyBCD.

6.  In the folder C:\NST, replace the file nst_mac.mbr with the linked file (actually boot0md renamed as nst_mac.mbr).

post-846696-0-05607800-1437299877_thumb.png

7.  Finally, reboot the computer and you should see the Windows Boot Manager:

• To boot into Windows, choose the Windows Entry from the Windows Boot Manager
  • To boot into OSX, select Clover ---> chainloads to Clover and boots into OSX....

REALLY REALLY THANKS!!!!

MADE USB WITH RUFUS AND COPIED BOOTMGFW.EFI .....

BOOM WORKS!!!!!!! T_T

:thumbsup_anim: THANX  :thumbsup_anim:

Hey, I'm actually upgrading to a newer system/motherboard that will have a UEFI bios, so what exactly is the difference in the process of getting dual booting to work?  Or, is it exactly the same?

@lolwatpear,

The process is very similar except:

On the OSX side, Clover should be installed in the EFI System Partition with the "Install for UEFI booting only" option and one of the OSXAptiofix UEFI64 drivers instead of installing Clover's boot files.

On the Windows side, you can directly boot the UEFI Windows installer (use RUFUS to prepare the USB) through your computer's own firmware instead of through Clover.  Post install, you can use EasyUEFI in Windows to give first priority to Clover for UEFI booting.

Have a look at @GhostRaider's excellent budget hackintosh guide and post#5 in the Clover Instructions thread about how to do a UEFI boot.

Good Luck!

help needed : 

i use to have a dual boot (OS X 10.10 / Win 8.1 Ent) thanks to fusion71au

context :

i try to upgrade my Win 8.1 Ent to Win 10... with no success (installer do the job, look for updates, say it'll install while preserving data and app)

and stop with a error (no more explanations)

i decided to increase the size of my Win_recovery partition (cos 400 mo available only)

that was the beginning of my problem

increasing the size of my win recovery partition make my lost it

i create it again with 

(as i did with success in the past)

after that i lost my mac default boot, i restore it from back up (after reformat and use CCC)

==> so OS X Yosemite is OK, Win 8.1 is OK but Win 8.1 recovery is not bootable any more

can some one help?

my observations :

/Volumes/EFI/EFI/Microsoft/Boot has change (dates) compare to my previous back up /Efi-BAckup

BOOTSTAT.DAT is missing in the new one

a new folder NST with boot.sdi inside has been created in /Volumes/EFI

any help will be appreciated (to restore a working win 8.1 recovery)

or more to help the upgrade of win 10

@Tetonne,

I wrote about how to get the free upgrade of Windows 10 in the Windows 10 Discussion thread, post#60.

The main problem with upgrade installs of Windows 10 is that they require the Windows bootloader to be in charge of booting during the upgrade (instead of third party bootloaders like Clover).  The first reboot after installation files are written to the HD will otherwise fail and it will revert to your previous OS.

For legacy BIOS systems, you can leave the Windows 7 bootloader in charge on the MBR before upgrading to Windows 10 - see post #3 for the procedure.

For UEFI systems, the process is easier: before upgrading to Windows 10, just give first priority in the BIOS to the Windows Boot Manager instead of Clover.  Eg this can be done in Windows with EasyUEFI - see post#65.

After the upgrade install is completed and you are activated, you can then (if you want) clean install to your hearts content and reconfigure the boot loaders so that Clover is in charge again :).

I'm afraid I don't have first hand experience with re-creating the Windows Recovery Partition so I can't provide much help there.  TBH, I don't think there is any advantage over using a Windows installer USB as an emergency boot disk/recovery environment.

Good Luck!

strange i'm using a dual boot Yosemite/WIn 8.1 Ent, my config is now like in post  #65  (first picture)

but windows 10 upgrade failed with no special message (before 1st reboot)

i also read and test post #2 , created 

C:\NST (i had no NST folder before), and add the file provided nst_mac.mbr

at boot i have 3 win icons :

1) clover icon at boot named : "boot Microsoft EFI mgrboot menu from Win_recovery" (the name of my recovery partition)

but my win 8.1 recovery works no more (even after recreating it with the tuto  #72 

i have 2 others win clover icon ??? both named "Boot Microsoft EFi boot menu from EFI"

(1st one works,  2nd (same title) doesn't)

it's pain and the neck  :(

fortunately my dual boot is still working  :)

@Tetonne,

If you have a full Timemachine/CarbonCopyCloner backup of your Yosemite partition and backups of your Windows data, it might be easier to start afresh and perform the Windows 10 upgrade on the drive before reinstalling/restoring OSX afterwards.

1.  Reformat your hard drive eg using Windows Diskpart.exe from the Windows installer...

• boot Windows installer USB
  • at first screen press Shift+F10 to get command prompt
  • type the following lines, followed by <Enter> after each line
diskpart
list disk
select disk # (where # is the disk number where you want to install Windows)
clean
convert gpt
create partition efi size=200
format quick fs=fat32 label="EFI"
create partition msr size=128
exit

2.  Install UEFI Windows 8 (or 7) only on that drive --->

3.  Upgrade to Windows 10 with only that drive attached: see this guide Windows 10 - upgrade installation ---->

4.  Create free space for OSX in Windows Disk Management or with Diskpart.exe from the command prompt ---->

5.  Reinstall Yosemite or restore from the Timemachine/CCC backup ---->

6.  Reinstall Clover and give first priority in your BIOS to it.

Good Luck!

Edit:  I just realised that you are on Windows 8.1 Enterprise, which does not qualify for the free upgrade to Windows 10 - that maybe the reason for the upgrade failing :(.