Mac App Store updates and AFP shares crashing computer completely, E2201 ethernet

shrieken213

1 post in this topic

Hello,

This is a relatively new issue I have encountered in the past 24 hours and has proven to be persistent.

It first presented itself under ALXEthernet.kext packaged with Rampage Dev's Haswell DMG. It was working fine for the past two weeks, full gigabit duplex mode etc. but yesterday I came across some troubling issues regarding local filesharing and Mac App Store downloads.

My board is a Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5 using an Atheros E2201 NIC and GTX 770 4GB OC fully enabled under Yosem 10.10.1. Appropriate DSDT patches have been applied as well as Rampage Dev's SSDT and Piker's PM SSDT. UUID and serial are all cleared and unique.

Whenever I tried to write to my local AFP share (hosted by netatalk on a Linux box), it would crash the computer without any error codes or shutdown causes. Strangely I could read from the share and delete files on it without issue. This happened more often, almost always, with large transfer sizes than with smaller files.

The second problem is with updating apps from the MAS. When I click "Update" it instantly crashes my computer, again without any error codes. Sometimes it lasts long enough to show the user verification login window before it crashes.

As a fix I tried to work with Mieze's AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext instead of ALXEthernet. The version on the forums here did not work with my board; I had to recompile it under Yosemite build environments and then it worked. I have this copy of the kext for anyone who requests me for it, and it's completely Mieze's work as all I did was switch SDK from 10.8 to 10.10.

This kext solved the AFP issues; I was able to copy a full 8GB file from local storage to AFP share. However, the MAS update crash issue remains. What's even more baffling is the fact that there is no coherent error code associated with the crash.

I'm not sure if this is caused by Atheros ethernet, but I do remember encountering a similar issue with the AppleIntelE1000e.kext with my old build, especially with the AFP shares, and that's why I'm posting under here.

System Information and IOReg both show the E2201 as fully recognized and enabled under both ALXEthernet and AtherosE2200Ethernet. 

Can anyone here help me out? Thanks.