VMWare 11 is out - Unlocker available? Any better?

16 posts in this topic

Workstation 11 can run OS X guest using FakeSMC
  • Downloaded HWSensors 6.11.1328, extracted FakeSMC.kext, installed in /Library/Extensions, and rebuilt kernelcache.  kext-dev-mode=1 in boot-args.  All this under Workstation 10.0.4, OS 10.10.1 in guest.
  • Shutdown the guest.
  • Modified VMX to say 'smc.present = "FALSE"'.
  • Restarted guest and made sure it works.
  • Shutdown the guest, uninstalled Workstation 10.0.4.  Installed Workstation 11.0.
  • Started OS 10.10.1 guest under Workstation 11.0.  Works.
  • Shutdown the guest, upgraded VMX to hardware version 11.  The only change made by the upgrader was setting 'virtualHW.version = "11"'.
  • Restarted the guest - still works.
  • There is a noticeable performance improvement.  It's not mind-blowing, but noticeable.  The 40-second delay I had at the firmware splashscreen is gone. I don't have AVX2 or Haswell.

post-446538-0-94134100-1418061266_thumb.png

BTW, these corner artifacts in Safari are not limited to virtual machines.  I see them on a hackintosh on real hardware that does not have QE(3D-acceleration).  They come from an attempt to make folded corners in Safari, and it looks like it's not rendered right when QE is unavailable.  There have been cases in the past where graphics features did not work right on non-QE hardware - as Apple does not test graphics features on non-QE hardware very much.  All their official hardware supports QE (nowadays at least).

Did you also notice the corner artifacts, especially in safari as described here?

Using unlocker 2.0 that was released today. Anyone notice any performance benefit from VMWare Workstation 11/Yosemite?

Yosemite performace still sucks. Although I did gain some performace boost by changing virtual disk controller from SATA to SCSI so check that.

It can be best seen on Mavericks.

Yosemite performace still sucks. Although I did gain some performace boost by changing virtual disk controller from SATA to SCSI so check that.

It can be best seen on Mavericks.

This is interesting. Any idea why changing to SCSI would result in a performance boost? I haven't seen any posts suggesting this but I'm willing to give it a try if it doesn't seem to cause problems.

Well I'm not sure why is that maybe that vmware is more compatible with SCSI or OS X is more compatible with SCSI or maybe it's just my PC or something else entirely. BuI definitly gained significant perfotmance boost by changing disk controller from SATA to SCSI.

Actually I had it already on SCSI and wanted to see what's going to happen after I change controller to SATA and I noticed that my VM is laging significantly and it worked perfectly on SCSI. After changing back to SCSI VM was fast again.

NOTE!!!!:  I SAW PERFORMANCE DIFERENCE ON OS X MAVERICKS VM. ON YOSEMITE THERE WAS NO DIFERENCE AT ALL. Maybe some but I'm not sure if it's just placebo effect.

Bottom line I definitly recommend trying it, even on Yosemite because you have nothing to loose. You don't have to change data on virtual disk at all and it's a 5min job.

You shouldn't have any problems at all but even if you have you can easily change it back.

• 2 months later...

Workstation 11 can run OS X guest using FakeSMC

• Downloaded HWSensors 6.11.1328, extracted FakeSMC.kext, installed in /Library/Extensions, and rebuilt kernelcache.  kext-dev-mode=1 in boot-args.  All this under Workstation 10.0.4, OS 10.10.1 in guest.
  • Shutdown the guest.
  • Modified VMX to say 'smc.present = "FALSE"'.
  • Restarted guest and made sure it works.
  • Shutdown the guest, uninstalled Workstation 10.0.4.  Installed Workstation 11.0.
  • Started OS 10.10.1 guest under Workstation 11.0.  Works.
  • Shutdown the guest, upgraded VMX to hardware version 11.  The only change made by the upgrader was setting 'virtualHW.version = "11"'.
  • Restarted the guest - still works.
  • There is a noticeable performance improvement.  It's not mind-blowing, but noticeable.  The 40-second delay I had at the firmware splashscreen is gone. I don't have AVX2 or Haswell.

Can this same procedure be used to run OSX under ESXi?

@Advocate_HF

Yes, works for me, both on hardware version 10 and 11 !

Used FakeSMC.kext from HWSensors 6.14.1364 on ESXi-6.0.0-2494585-standard.

• just run the installer, only select FakeSMC, doing so, you don't need to rebuild kernel cache manually
  • sudo nvram boot-args=kext-dev-mode=1
  • reboot

After I modified the vmx and restarted the guest vm I also reinstalled vmware tools.

• Like 1

@Advocate_HF

Yes, works for me, both on hardware version 10 and 11 !

Used FakeSMC.kext from HWSensors 6.14.1364 on ESXi-6.0.0-2494585-standard.

• just run the installer, only select FakeSMC, doing so, you don't need to rebuild kernel cache manually
  • sudo nvram boot-args=kext-dev-mode=1
  • reboot

After I modified the vmx and restarted the guest vm I also reinstalled vmware tools.

Great, will give this a go on the new 6.0 GA :-)

ok so what do i have to do to get yosemite working on vmware workstation 11.01 ?

thegmanosx,

Do you mean without the unlocker? If you are happy to use Donk's unlocker then all the details you need are in the following thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290949-how-to-install-os-x-10x-snow-leopard-lion-mountain-lion-mavericks-and-yosemite-in-vmware-workstation-1011-or-player-67/