[How to] OS X 10.4.7 (Server) and update to 10.4.8 (server) on Inspiron 1300

Neonkoala

12 posts in this topic

Due to a request by PM here is a tutorial for putting OS X 10.4.8 on your Dell Inspiron 1300 (B130 stateside) and add server components if needed.

1. Obtain for yourself a JaS release of 10.4.7 install DVD, or if you wish to have server components then a JaS and np101137 release of the 10.4.7 server DVD. Also obtain a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD from their site. Install latest version of MacDrive.

2. Use partition magic to repartition your hard drives if necessary under windows and leave a suitably sized empty space after. Assuming you wish to dual boot with Windows XP on the internal hard drive.

3. Open up the Command Prompt and type:

diskpart

list disk

select disk [the number of your hard drive without these brackets]

create partition primary id=af

4. Use partition magic to set your new partition as active.

5. Make sure you have burnt both the CD and DVD and have them to hand. Reboot and boot from the OS X DVD.

6.When the Install disc has loaded choose Disk Utility from the Utilities menu and format your partition with HFS+ Journaled.

7. Continue with the install utility being sure to select the Wireless patch for WiFi, the GMA fix for graphics and the SSE2 patch for Intel.

8. When you reboot you will probably get the missing operating system or some such error. So instead boot off the UBCD and then use one of the FDISK utilities to set your windows partition as active. Boot into windows and copy the chain0 file from the DVD using MacDrive from /usr/standalone/i386/chain0 to your C:\ drive. Then alter Boot.ini to have an additional line reading: C:\chain0="Apple Mac OS X x86"

9. Navigate to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.boot.plist and edit it in WordPad to have the following additional flags:

<key>Quiet Boot</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>

10. Reboot and choose OS X from both lists on the bootloaders. You will now be prompted with either the usual setup routine or a Server setup guide. (Bearing in mind the server needs a serial number). Continue through this and you will have a fully functional 10.4.7 (server) install.

11. To fix the battery icon download the PowerManagement.bundle from here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=14912 and replace the one in /system/library/systemconfiguration and reboot.

12. To update to 10.4.8 grab yourself a copy of 10.4.8 update by JaS for SSE2 systems. To upgrade from 10.4.7 server to 10.4.8 server grab a copy of 10.4.8 server update by Neonkoala (it includes both SSE2 and SSE3 packages, make sure you pick SSE2 one!). Reboot.

13. You will now have a fully working 10.4.8 (server) install apart from audio - a driver is being written currently for SigmaTel 9200.

NOTE: Please bear in mind that updating to 10.4.8 may induce some unforseen problems however most have been fixed thanks to Quixos and his excluded frameworks list.

• 1 month later...

Sound is still currently in development and progress appears to have stopped however I may try and pick up the project again when I have more free time over Christmas. If you have any experience with drivers the source code for the driver in development is currently available in the Xlabs.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The one that came with the 10.4.6/7 install DVDs. If you have just used Windows then sometimes a weird thing occurs in which Windows locks the network card so it can;t be used except by Windows. To cure this, reboot and from startup options choose network boot and let it load and crash then it will reboot and you can try OS X.

On a side note sound is now partially working, see the link in my sig for instructions on getting Sigmatel 9200 working.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I tried both 10.4.6 JaS and 10.4.7 but both didn't work. They failed after the first apple logo screen during the setup. The blue screen appears when normally a mouse cursor would be launched, but nothing happens.

Then I tried 10.4.8 which completely installs, but since the Inspiron 1300 uses GMA900 you need the paperclip fix... This is one step too much for me so I was wondering whether someone could explain how I fix the paperclip ussue from the terminal... I just can't imagine that wouldn't be possible... or I'm a being dumb here ?:

Or what's going wrong with the former versions.. since updating doesn't require this paperclip trick.

Allright getting further and shall share my info... it also works without selecting the GMA900/50. Of course the resolution is not very good, but at least it didn't give me a blue screen. What it did give me was a whole load of crashes, so whether this is the solution... I dunno... But, the crashes primarily seem to be the result from the DVD-player.. as soon as I try to access that one, it crashes. Despite the tool I used to patch the cd/dvd player.

Since I thought that might have been the consequence of not installing the GMA900, I figured that installing GMA900 from the DVD and then immediately patching was a good idea... the idea was maybe logical to me, not for the inspiron...

It now starts with the verbose mode and ends on:

May 8 xx:xx:xx name-computer mDNSResponder: Adding browse domain local.

And there it ends... Tried repairing the permissions from the installcd... didn't work. I will try a little more...