system freezes random but always.

todesto

8 posts in this topic

was using bios board but didnt have any problem using yosemite.

got a z77 board and everything else is same and successfully got system running but it is unstable as it will freeze random moment. sometimes it will just reboot but mostly it will freeze: screen stuck, fan running. nothing working. then i have to reboot then it works fine for a while until freeze. it will freeze sometime in 5 min, sometimes 4-5 hours later. could this be related to graphic card? My HW monitor show GPU at 53-54 degree sometimes at 60. is that too high?

I got DSDT made using Maciasl and used Pjalm patch and have minimal congif.plist. could DSDT cause this?

Thank you for looking at my question. As it was freezing daily, I had to do bunch of research and test my system (it was my main system and I had to get it working).

going back and remembering what I did to my system with new board and seeing the system freezing after 3-4 hours of use, I guessed it had to do with power management not wrong kext (It'd panic before and right after boot to desktop if it had wrong kext, right?). 

I remember using same SSDT as i was using for previous board (GA-Z68AP-D3) and edited IOPlatformplugin for MacPro5,1 to use MacBook Pro 8,3 speedstep and added my HD6870 device ID to AGPM/MacPro5,1

So I made new SSDT, re-installed vanilla IOPlatformplugin. I kept my AGPM (I tested with vanilla AGPM, didn't seem to help) and reboot, Voila! no more freezing. I was able to use over a day so I think I can say it is in stable condition but I will and should test for longer period.  I was able to use over 2 month w/o reboot with my Z68 board.

So I think it had to do with me editing IOPlatformplugin kext.  I only get 16, 34,35,36 with vanilla IOPlatformplugin and get two more (22, 24) when I use MacBook Pro 8,3.

I see real iMac 13,2 gets two states and need to have stable system rather than seeing more P states so I am sticking with vanilla IOPlatformplugin for right now. :yes:

but I have a question.

1. I can't generate boot.log: is it because I use fusion drive and use USB stick to boot?

2. I don't know re generating SSDT did help on my case? as I see users share SSDT files?

Are you using clover or chameleon? I know with Clover you need to install some stuff to your boot drive for it to work because you need bdmesg to get a boot.log. it's packaged in the Clover installer. I don't know how the boot.log for chameleon works.

@worf_1977 use the boot flag debug=0x100 to see what the kp message is. If you have the kernelpm patch then that shouldn't be happening.

Are you using clover or chameleon? I know with Clover you need to install some stuff to your boot drive for it to work because you need bdmesg to get a boot.log. it's packaged in the Clover installer. I don't know how the boot.log for chameleon works.

I am using Clover (3000), tried with different version, all same. I got freezing happen again yesterday after 1.5 day use!  I am running fusion drive and didn't want to mess with EFI partition of EFI so I am using either USB stick or clover installed in my other HDD to boot my fusion drive.

What I notice my clover GUI / CPU was it was showing 66 / 66 / 66 / 66 in my clock speed when I had everything AUTO so I figured it has to do with something with that, so I set my CPU setting manual in my bios, then it showed CPU setting normal as before like when I was using Z68 board, then booted.  I also remade SSDT and now MSRdumper shows 16, 18, 34, 35, 36, 37 which more than before.

I was able to use until end of the day yesterday so I will find out today if the system will run throughout the day.

woke up the system this morning, didn't see any issue. used it all day today over 7+ hours using Parallels, streaming, laughing League of Legends. put system to sleep when leaving.  so far no issue. 

I hope fixing CPU section helped my situation.