G5 Power Mac Hack - System on Slides [SOS]

neil43

9 posts in this topic

The folowing are pictures of a system that I completed back in April of this year.  If there is interest in the details, please post queries.

Anyway it all started when I found these slides at a local hardware store.  They are extend fully and have latches so the drawer can be easily removed.

1.jpg

00.jpg

0a.jpg

0b.jpg

0b.jpg

0f.jpg

The system has a ASUS P8Z77M-Pro with the i7-3770K and currently has Yosemite 10.10 running.

The system is over clocked to 4.2 GHz and runs well with the Thermaltake Water 2.0 Performer CPU cooler. Note that there are only the two 120 mm fans on the cooler, a fan in the PSU and a fan on the GPU. Running the Prime95 “Torture Test" the buttoned up system see temps in the mid 60 C range.

I have added an optical drive with drawer disconnect of both data and power and a blocking lock that prevents the drawer sliding open when moving the system.

And the case shows its age with lots of scuffs and scratches but no deep damage.

Good modding,
neil

Would be nice to see more pictures. I did my mod a bit later than you this year, but didn't make a lot of pictures.

Okay here is a dump - enjoy.

1a.jpg

1b.jpg

1c.jpg

1d.jpg

1e.jpg

1f.jpg

2a.jpg

3aa.jpg

3a.jpg

3b.jpg

3c.jpg

4a.jpg

4b.jpg

4c.jpg

4d.jpg

5a.jpg

Enough?  There are more if you want to see them.

Good modding,

neil

Please post the rest. What is that grey glue thing that you use to fill the holes on the back aluminium part?

The epoxy used to fill the holes is J-B Weld sold in hardware stores in the US ( see J-B Weld Co., Sulphur Springs, TX).  The epoxy is two part and takes 24 hours to cure.

More photos:

5b.jpg

5c.jpg

5e.jpg

6a.jpg

6b.jpg

6c.jpg

6d.jpg

7a.jpg

7b.jpg

7c.jpg

7d.jpg

7e.jpg

front-panel-wiring.jpg

8a.jpg

8b.jpg

more:

8c.jpg

8d.jpg

9a.jpg

9b.jpg

9c.jpg

50.jpg

51.jpg

60.jpg

7ff.jpg

7f.jpg

70.jpg

Well that is the end of this series.

There are a few more photos where I added a block to stop the drawer from opening unless intended.  Also I went back and added a RW DVD drive with data and power disconnect harness.

If you have questions I will attempt to explain my solutions.

Good modding,

neil

You got my vote for macmod of the month! [ just post some pictures here :) ]

it's the best G5 mod i've seen so far, really professional, that extra power button inside and the sliding door of the case are the cherry on the cake ;)