avin7000

Should I upgrade to SSD?

7 posts in this topic

I have Dell XPS L501x, it's current config is Intel i7 740, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD and nvidia GT 435m 2GB graphics card. 

The board supports SATA II (300MB/s). Is it worth to upgrade SSD, in terms of performance? (I guess, obvious answer is YES).

Secondly, will I run into any trouble by replacing HDD with SSD or it will be smooth as earlier?

and lastly, other things/issues I should check? 

I am thinking to get Samsung EVO 840 120GB SATA III.

Advertisement

I have Dell XPS L501x, it's current config is Intel i7 740, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD and nvidia GT 435m 2GB graphics card. 

The board supports SATA II (300MB/s). Is it worth to upgrade SSD, in terms of performance? (I guess, obvious answer is YES).

Secondly, will I run into any trouble by replacing HDD with SSD or it will be smooth as earlier?

and lastly, other things/issues I should check? 

I am thinking to get Samsung EVO 840 120GB SATA III.

Sure, SSD will make your laptop faster than any other upgrade. I used SATA 3 ssd attached on sata 2 port for 2 years without any problem.

Dont forget to run Trim patch on OSX for trim support.

As above I upgraded my vostro 200 from a Wd 7200 to a ssd and did see a big change in boot times and some apps I use. I used a corsair 60gb ssd.

You will definitely notice the difference typical HDD read/write speeds are about 90MB/s vs  250MB/s.

Make sure you get the EVO version, the Standard Samsung 840,(non-EVO), write speeds are very slow, <150MB/s

I have the Samsung EVO 840 120GB SATA III installed in my desktop with Yosemite 10.10, (Previously Mavericks 10.9.5), works good good out of the box, you should get 200MB/s - 250MB/s read/write speeds on SATA II ports.

Note

Samsung has released new firmware that fixes some performance issues with this drive.

The Toshiba Q Series PRO 128GB is comparable in price with the Samsung EVO 840 120GB SATA both are $89.99 on Newegg. I have both the Toshiba and Samsung drives, and the Toshiba benchmarks are faster for me.

For less the $20.00 you can buy a SATA III PCIE controller that works with OS X and more than double your read write Speeds.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124045

Install is easy. plug the drive into a spare SATA port, and use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone old drive to the SSD.

@all - Thank you very much :)

Make sure you get the EVO version, the Standard Samsung 840,(non-EVO), write speeds are very slow, <150MB/s
I have the Samsung EVO 840 120GB SATA III installed in my desktop with Yosemite 10.10, (Previously Mavericks 10.9.5), works good good out of the box, you should get 200MB/s - 250MB/s read/write speeds on SATA II ports.

I am still deciding whether to go with 120 or 250 (most probably it will be 120GB), but following Samsung EVO available in my country. Sounds good?

- 250GB - MZ-7TE250BW - Official Link  - On Newegg 
- 120GB - MZ-7TE120BW - Official link  - On Newegg