Clover: Various Issues

2 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I was directed to these forums from Reddit, and told it was the goto place for Clover related issues. Well, I have a few and I am hoping you guys can point me in the right direction. 

1. Hibernating/Sleep

Issue:

Much like a bear that hasn't had enough fish to eat, my Hackintosh does sleep, but then wakes up at some random time during the night. I wake up in the morning to find it sitting at the Clover boot screen. 

Attempted Fixes:

I've attempted to fix this with various Clover settings, as well as setting the Hibernation to "0" even though it was already set that way. I have clicked "Hibernation Off" in Clover Configuratior, and adjusted settings in the OS X settings. 

Current Status:

Unfixed

2. WiFi Drops

Issue:

Now, I'm not sure this is due to my Hackintosh or not, but for the last two months every single device connected to the Wifi will drop. What happens is that I'll be surfing along, and the WiFi will stop working. Shortly after that, every other device will lose the ability to connect to reach anything. They stay connected, but can't connect until I hard reset the modem. The problem doesn't seem to happen when I am in Windows, and only seems to happen when on my Hackintosh.

Attempted Fixes:

I have changed modem channels, used the 5GHz connection (still freezes), replaced the modem, messed with various settings, and given static IP's to almost every device.

Current Status:

Unfixed.

So far those are my two big issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Regarding your sleep issue: I had the exact same issue on a GA Z77X mobo all through the Yos DPs, but now I do not have the issue with the GM. It's hard to say if it's a fix in the GM, or if it's because I installed clover differently. What was happening to me and I believe is happening to you (look in Console.app) is that your hack is waking around 6AM and crashing out, causing the machine to reboot to your boot loader screen. You have basically two options:

1. wipe and reinstall the GM using TonyMacx86's instructions for installing Clover via USB stick at http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/144426-how-install-os-x-yosemite-using-clover.html. Note that I don't know exactly what I did differently between the DPs and the GM, I just know, after installing the GM to two different disks (an SSD and a spinning HD) I do not have this issue any more. The thing about reformatting the EFI partition stands out as something I didn't do before, but I have no idea if that has anything to do with it.

2. follow the instructions in the thread here to disable periodic waking: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/300072-wake-reason-rtc-alarm-how-to-deactivate/. My understanding is that a few major releases ago, Apple decided to significantly alter sleep/wake to basically create a "nap" mode (hence app nap) where the screen doesn't light but the system wakes enough to do software updates, check bonjour servers, do time machine backups, etc. So you can use these instructions to basically stop "nap" mode from ever happening. Some of the folks on the thread I copied are irritated by the noise of the machine waking up, hence creating a solution. 

May be other solutions but either of these might get you there. I know the SDST file controls speed step and your BIOS/UEFI settings could be affecting it. In my case, I had a Mavericks hack that slept fine but started crashing once I put the Yos DP on, so I was pretty confident that my issue was not SDST or BIOS/UEFI related.

No clue on your wifi issue. My hack uses ethernet. Stop surfing questionable sites?  :)