Haswell-E mach_kernel patch (5960X, 5830K and 5820K) 10.10 - 10.10.1 Yosemite

stinga11

670 posts in this topic

wow - I went out of town for a weekend adn come back to all the problems solved.  I can report i am another user successfully booting into 10.10 with 5960x and asus x99-deluxe.  I still am working through audio and cosmetics.  Will tackle imessage last.  

For those that come behind - Bomerr post 212 was invaluable.  After installing clover i used rampagedev's x99.dmg (and included PDF) to configure get the install set up properly.  I am using his plist with clover v2988 and seems to be booting without issue.  I assume his instructions for audio fix will also work.

I noticed there are no links to "clover configurator."  of course a Google search comes up with places is is hosted...is there a recommend place to grab it from?

Thanks to all the folks that have helped.  Is there any testing still needed

Edit - spoke to soon - forgot to check Ethernet and i am having a heck of a time getting it figured out.  I am using clover, put the two kext (applegb.kext and appleintele100e.kext) in efi\clover\kext\10.10.  Thought that would make it just work - turns out i don't have any Ethernet interfaces shown in preferences.  During the install i selected something like ~this computer does not connect to the internet~  I was thinking it would allow me to figure out the imessage thing before getting myself locked out.  Is there any reason why just dropping the kext in 10.10 shouldn't just work?

Edit2 - Ethernet fixed turns out it was a matter of rebuilding cache (caches rebuild command and kext wizard).  A word of note, if using Rampagedev's patches for audio, do not restart before applying both patches.  First patch only resulted in a no-boot situation (apple screen then auto-restart)

Edit3 - got base AppleHDA.kext restored (install HDD into another working machine then copy into S/L/E from rampage dmg) so can boot now...have not tried to patch again.  My go-to tool is now kext wizard, i seem to run repair permissions/rebuild cache after any change.  I am seeing random kernel panics during start-up.  Does not seem to be repeatable and restarting will make it go away.  Changed graphics card to 650ti to see if that helps.  Still need to work through audio and imessage.

Edit5 - still struggling to boot with clover.  had to resort back to the other guy to try and make progress.  I am getting kernel panics at random points throughout boot - most of the time it is not just hang but an auto-reboot.  Hoping to salvage this install :-/

Edit6 - solved by fixing clover configuration.  so many changes, tough to really pinpoint what fixed the problem.  working to get sleep (well wake actually) and then back to audio.  darkwake=1 was not successful.  Am i the only one that cannot wake or does everyone else just accept it due to non-supported CPU

Edit7 - Audio up and running - ran both patches (audio_alc_x99-hda-100_patch and audio_realtekALC-100) in that order, disk utility to repair permissions then stinga cache rebuild and audio is u p.  Ethernet is working.  Still showing unknown for CPU type.  Sleep "works" but cannot wake (fans come on, but no display-just black screen with monitors in power save mode).  will monitor to see how often i get a kernel panic during boot.  calling it success for now

I've always used HackintoshOSX for Clover Configurator: http://www.hackintoshosx.com/files/file/49-clover-configurator/

For the random kernel panics, use the boot flag debug=0x100 so that it will stop and show you what the kernel panic is. I usually have that on all the time since as far as I can tell it doesn't have any negative effects. You said you solved it by fixing clover configuration, were you referring to the kernel panics?

Have you tried sleepenabler.kext for sleep? I think you have to have nullcpupowermanagement for that to work.

On another note, IOPCIFamily has been updated in 10.10.1 pre-release. This could potentially either be great news or terrible news for 5960x users.

jamiethemorris-Have not tried sleep enabler. Do you think I can get an accurate read on it given the random issues I am currently having?

Out of 14 boots, 7 have been successful and 7 failed. Most of the time I get KP like those attached but sometimes it just restarts without any output. I am not running verbose but I will. The thing that baffles me is that in the last 3 reboots I got the attached kp and then it booted fine with no changes whatsoever.  What i read out of these two is that there is still something going on with the CPU but it seems like a different cpu (one is CPU14, other is CPU2) then the issue gets into I/O which appears to start with the ethernet driver but may be related to IOPCIFamily.   

post-1425981-0-40946000-1415467983_thumb.jpg

post-1425981-0-99227500-1415468001_thumb.jpg

It's a because of the Ethernet kext. I think that's the only problem, I don't think there's anything going in with the CPU. Are you using the same version that is working for others?

That was my intent - but i was having Ethernet issues, so i am expecting this is an I/O problem (incompetent operator).  Thank you for pointing me in the right direction - i will go back and delete all copies (EFI and S/L/E) of AppleGB.kext and AppleIntelE1000e then use stinga's rebuild caches command and then kext wizard to rebuild permissions.  I will add them back in to the 10.10 folder in EFI and rebuild.repair.  I will also disable the second NIC just for good measure.  Thanks again keeping me away from poking in other areas that would have done more harm than good :-)

EDIT1 - confirmed issue was with AppleGB.kext or AppleIntelE1000e.kext by removing from 10.10, rebuild/repair.  No more KP at boot.  Looking to find clean version to get Ethernet back.  I was hoping this also fixed my wake issue...but no.  

On another note, IOPCIFamily has been updated in 10.10.1 pre-release. This could potentially either be great news or terrible news for 5960x users.

I had my MacBook set auto update and I was enrolled in the beta program so It automatically updated me to the 10.10.1 prerelease :(

Since I had the new IOPCIFamily I tried it out on my 10.10 Mackintosh. It works perfectly fine for me. 

It's a because of the Ethernet kext. I think that's the only problem, I don't think there's anything going in with the CPU. Are you using the same version that is working for others?

i thought i was using the same kext - the one i am using is from rampagedev x99.dmg.  When i removed it i could boot without issue- adding it back into SLE and rebuilding cache resulted in KP.  Is anyone else using the kext from rampagedev's x99.dmg?  Is there any chance that the issue is not with the AppleIntelE1000e but something else up the chain? 

Edit- i grabbed AppleIntelE1000e from another build - and it worked fine.  For those that have a bat phone to contact rampagedev may want to alert him of this issue.  I won't say the kext in his dmg is corrupt..but it did cause issues for me.  The version i am using has a date 6/25/14, 9:50 PM version 3.1.0.  Rampage dev is version 3.0.4.1

• Like 2

i thought i was using the same kext - the one i am using is from rampagedev x99.dmg. When i removed it i could boot without issue- adding it back into SLE and rebuilding cache resulted in KP. Is anyone else using the kext from rampagedev's x99.dmg? Is there any chance that the issue is not with the AppleIntelE1000e but something else up the chain?

Edit- i grabbed AppleIntelE1000e from another build - and it worked fine. For those that have a bat phone to contact rampagedev may want to alert him of this issue. I won't say the kext in his dmg is corrupt..but it did cause issues for me. The version i am using has a date 6/25/14, 9:50 PM version 3.1.0. Rampage dev is version 3.0.4.1

just notify him on his blog in the x99 DMG page.

I had my MacBook set auto update and I was enrolled in the beta program so It automatically updated me to the 10.10.1 prerelease :(

Since I had the new IOPCIFamily I tried it out on my 10.10 Mackintosh. It works perfectly fine for me.

So are you using the 10.10.1 iopcifamily and 10.9.5 acpiplatform or are you able to use the 10.10 acpiplatform?

So are you using the 10.10.1 iopcifamily and 10.9.5 acpiplatform or are you able to use the 10.10 acpiplatform?

i am using the 10.10.1 iop... and the 10.10 acpi... because I have a 5820k; by perfectly i meant it doesn't crash cuz I still get pci config error without the bootflag. 

Hi ... any progress with the Asus X99 E WS and Clover yet?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honestly never had a issue with npci=0x2000 never working. 

I gave the Mem Map to dmazar from the x99 E-WS and he sent me a fix but never worked but have no idea if it helped or not. Thank you to Stinga for compiling it. 

That said the x99 E-WS is still not working. The more hardware that a board has it seems it does not work with Clover.

I need to test a few things with Clover before I update the DMG but on the x99 Deluxe I have all it well. Found I had a type with the address of the wifi card in the SSDT causing it not to load. Will update that soon. 

I followed what jackie099 and lokicat said on another forum. 

Guide is based on the work of jackie099 and lokicat. 

1. Download the latest beta bios here : http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...beta-bios.html

2. Settings in BIOS: optimized defaults, other OS, and enabled legacy support for some other stuff like XHCI or something. 

3. Dload Uhibeast Installer

4. Format USB with label "USB" MBR partition table and HFS+

5. Let wizard install the files preferably on a USB 3.0 flash drive of speed but make sure to use a USB 2.0 port on the motherboard. 

6. Change boot flags to "-v -x -f npci=0x2000" in config plist in the USB/Extras folder (folder is hidden)

7. [Add VoodooTSCSync.kext to Extra/Extensions folder on the USB drive.

Edit the .kext for your cpu cores like in the OP first post if its not already edited] or use cpus=1 bootflag but the installer will be hella slow

8. Use the first kernel patch "sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x74\x11\x83\xF8\x3C|\x74\x11\x83\xF8\x3F|g' /Volumes/USB/System/Library/Kernels/kernel" 

9. I also added the boot flag nv_disable=1 for my GTX 980, you may or may not need it. 

This worked for me to get the installer running and install OS X onto the SSD. 

With that said I don't even know if its worth going through all that trouble because I'm pretty sure you can install OS X using a different machine onto the drive (like using a usb 3.0 adapter) 

10. But assuming you get this far and the install finishes you will need to boot into USB installer once again and then launch terminal to copy the patched kernel off the USB drive and onto the SSD. "cp -R /Volumes/USB/System/Library/Kernels/kernel /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/Kernels/"

11. Finally reboot once more and use chameleon to boot into the SSD.

12. Install Nvidia Web Drivers.

13. Change bootflags to "npci=0x2000 kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1"

14. Reboot

15. Load the latest version of clover (right now its 2976) and install with it with the following boxes checked:

-Install for UEFi...

-Install Clover in the ESP

-(whatever theme you like) 

Drivers64UEFI

--OSXAptioFixDrv-64

--ParitionDXE-64 

-Install RC scripts on target volume 

-Panel

16. Copy the .kext from chameleon over to clover. I use AHCIPortInjector.kext from the OP, AppleGB.kext, AppleIntelE1000e, FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagmenet, GenericUSBXHCI.kext, and VoodooTSCSync. 

17. Use clover configurator to set the bootflags of "npci=0x2000 kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1" and the profile to Mac Pro 6,1. 

18. [Optional] You can use clover to get iMessage working by messing around with SmMUUID, Serial Number and Board Serial Number in SMBIOS and Custom UUID, inject System ID in System parameters.

Hi guys any idea?

my installation works correctly (i'm on the desktop) but i'm stuck after for fix the installation with clover and followed the Bomerr's guide

Black screen

i also tried to press space then "boot with injected kexts" and also "mode verbose".

thnks

ok it is working now.

do you have some advices about settings clover configurator?

sorry for this stupid question but why there is some kexts in the UFI/kexts and others in S/L/E ?

about trim how activate it ?

thanks a lot

For TRIM use Chameleon SSD

kext in EFI are the ones we add in addition to the OS X supplies kexts in S/L/E

For clover read my older posts. I mentioned what a lot of settings do. 

(In fixes, I ended up disabling everything besides FixHPET) 

ok it is working now.

do you have some advices about settings clover configurator?

sorry for this stupid question but why there is some kexts in the UFI/kexts and others in S/L/E ?

about trim how activate it ?

thanks a lot

There are no kext in S/L/E if you use Clover as bootloader. Off course you can but it is not necessary.

The only place for kext is in EFI/clover/Kext/10.10

Trim is activated in Clover in Patch section.

Add

<key>KextsToPatch</key>

<array>

<dict>

<key>Comment</key>

<string>TRIM Enabler</string>

<key>Find</key>

<data>

QVBQTEUgU1NE

</data>

<key>Name</key>

<string>IOAHCIBlockStorage</string>

<key>Replace</key>

<data>

AAAAAAAAAAAA

</data>

</dict>

in that section and Trim is always enabled also after OS updates.

There are no kext in S/L/E if you use Clover as bootloader. Off course you can but it is not necessary.

The only place for kext is in EFI/clover/Kext/10.10

Trim is activated in Clover in Patch section.

Add

<key>KextsToPatch</key>

<array>

<dict>

<key>Comment</key>

<string>TRIM Enabler</string>

<key>Find</key>

<data>

QVBQTEUgU1NE

</data>

<key>Name</key>

<string>IOAHCIBlockStorage</string>

<key>Replace</key>

<data>

AAAAAAAAAAAA

</data>

</dict>

in that section and Trim is always enabled also after OS updates.

Wrong. Never use a boot loader to load or modify kexts as you never know when something can change. This is bad practice and should not be done. Kexts belong in SLE and LE  as per Apple Specification. 

Wrong. Never use a boot loader to load or modify kexts as you never know when something can change. This is bad practice and should not be done. Kexts belong in SLE and LE  as per Apple Specification. 

That's a bit strange to hear from you Rampage Dev!

The benefit of Clover is that you can have these patches and survive updates. I can tell you that I use this patch already since 10.8

And if something changes in any kext than I would notice and make a fix for that. Until now Apple RTC and TRIM-patch has always work without any worries.

With my X99 system I also have a clean install and all kext needed like FakeSMC, VoodooTCS  RTL are all in /EFI/kext/10.10

Sorry I have to disagree for this one. I love your work and contribution that does not change. :-)

• Like 2

The benefit of Clover is that you can have these patches and survive updates. I can tell you that I use this patch already since 10.8

And if something changes in any kext than I would notice and make a fix for that. Until now Apple RTC and TRIM-patch has always work without any worries.

With my X99 system I also have a clean install and all kext needed like FakeSMC, VoodooTCS  RTL are all in /EFI/kext/10.10

Sorry I have to disagree for this one. I love your work and contribution that does not change. :-)

To add:

Certain Kext need to be placed in the EFI/Clover section for the bootloader to work such as the PS2 kexts. 

• Like 1

That was my question ?

What are the kexts need to be in the kextsfolder?

About adding patch in the config.plist:

I copy and paste simply your patch then i paste anywhere in the config.plist?

And for finish, i tried some tests for IMessage but without success. Do you have a advice?

Thanks you guys for your help

x99 audio - testers needed

Realtek motherboard and AMD/Nvidia HDMI audio

Chameleon or Clover

Native AppleHDA.kext

Clover

Installation  (4 steps)

1. Audio_ID Injection (select one method)
    1. Clover Injection
      1. Download/config-audio_cloverALC-x99.plist.zip
      2. Set config.plist/Devices/Audio/Inject/1
      3. Add config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches/Rename ALZA to HDEF
    2. ssdt/x99/onboard and HDMI audio
      1. attachicon.gifSSDT-1.aml.zip
    3. RampageDev X99.dmg/ssdt.aml
      1. .dmg audio instructions are not current
  2. Restart
    1. Verify IOReg/HDEF/layout-id/<01 00 00 00>
      1. No HDEF/Wrong layout-id, Audio_ID injection failed.
        1. Try Audio_ID Injection same/different method
        2. See Problem Reporting, below
  3. Codec Patch
    1. cloverALC/Clover patched
      1. Download/config-audio_cloverALC-x99.plist.zip  (same as above)
        1. Add config.plist/KernelAndKextPatches/KextsToPatch/10.9.4-10.10-/x99 ALC Onboard Audio
      2. Download/Double Click/audio_cloverALC-100.command.zip
      3. ALC1150, see toleda/audio_CloverALC/README/Note 6.
  4. Restart
    1. Verify System Preferences/Sound/Output

More Information/Problem Reporting, Post #1, Yosemite: Audio - Realtek ALC AppleHDA

Credit: RevoGirl

I'm not getting this audio to work.

Have done all the step and when I run audio_cloverALC-100-v1.0.2.command script I'm getting:

File: audio_cloverALC-100.command_v1.0.2

Verify EFI partition mounted, Finder/Devices/EFI

Password:

No audio codec detected

To save a Copy to this Terminal session: Terminal/Shell/Export Text As ...

logout

[Process completed]

In IO-Reg: IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/HDEF@1B layout-id Data <01 00 00 00>

I have changed this in Clover config file.

6. 1150 only: edit config.plist/KernelAndKextPatches/KextsToPatch/	   "10.9 or 10.10/AppleHDA/Realtek ALC1150"	   1. Clover Configurator/Property List Editor/Replace/	      1. Before: <09ec10>	      2. After: <0009ec10>

No result. So I'm lost a bit.

Could anyone help me out?

To add:

Certain Kext need to be placed in the EFI/Clover section for the bootloader to work such as the PS2 kexts. 

No, No, No. Has nothing to do with OS X. 

I assume then you have never read anything I have ever written about Kexts. 

Never use the Bootloader to do anything more then to boot.

Patching kexts with a Bootloader has been shown countless of times to brick installs and is worthless. 

The script exits if the system is not configured for successful audio on restart.

Step 1, which injection technique are you using?

Step 2, do you have IOReg/HDEF/layout-id/<01 00 00 00>?

Attach IOReg.

Step 1, as per this.

1. Audio_ID Injection (select one method)
    1. Clover Injection
      1. Download/config-audio_cloverALC-x99.plist.zip
      2. Set config.plist/Devices/Audio/Inject/1
      3. Add config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches/Rename ALZA to HDEF
    2. ssdt/x99/onboard and HDMI audio
      1. zip.gif  SSDT-1.aml.zip   433bytes   13 downloads
    3. RampageDev X99.dmg/ssdt.aml
      1. .dmg audio instructions are not current

I did all tree of them maybe that is what is wrong?

Step 2Hack SuperPro van Ed.ioreg.zip

I'll try whit one of these 3 only now.

And here is one without 2 and 3 of the above choices.

Hack SuperPro van Ed-2.ioreg.zip

Still the same.

Could it be a miss patched DSDT file I'm using?