Leopard on G3 iBook Problems

pakkman781

6 posts in this topic

I installed Leopard on my old 800 Mhz iBook G3, and it is much, much more unstable than Leopard running on my G4 eMac. Many applications crash on startup, some prefs don't work, etc. However, they all seem to be related in cause. Let me give you a list of things that don't work correctly.

-In the setup assistant, the cube transition didn't show with Leopard, yet the same transition shows on Tiger Setup Assistant.

-The Spaces prefs won't open when trying to display the sliding animation to show them.

-Safari Crashes, and the crashlog shows a crapload of errors relating to com.apple.QuartzCore.

-Going to Coverflow view crashes iTunes.

-Screensaver prefs, and the screensaver itself don't work.

They all seem graphics related, no? I'm guessing there's something wrong with Leopard's driver for the iBook's Graphics card, the ATI Mobility Radeon 7500.

You guys have more experience with OSX's kexts than I do, any ideas?

PS: Also, the Airport Card (not extreme) shows up, but can't get a signal. Can't figure that one out either...

I think that's why you shoudn't try some of the beta version stuff, especially on OSes

I know I am not helping but just suggest you to backup everything and reinstall sorry : (

Yeah, I know, which is one reason I installed it on my old secondary machine from the start, virutually no data loss!

My guess is the fact that core animation does not work with the ati 7500. 10.5 relies on core anamation to do the effects that 10.4 did. If there is a hack to enable it on the ati 7500 that should be your best bet.

I don't think so, I really don't think that everything in quartz was replaced by Core Animation. :\

Oh well, time to mess with the kexts...

Yeah, I know, which is one reason I installed it on my old secondary machine from the start, virutually no data loss!

I don't think so, I really don't think that everything in quartz was replaced by Core Animation. :\

Oh well, time to mess with the kexts...

I installed 10.5 on my ibook g3 900 and my video card properties said that Quartz was not enabled. This could be the cause of all the problems. I think if we can get quartz working then we have a better shot at getting Safari and the other apps working. Also Spaces works albeit with only 2 spaces (left and right).

Quartz certainly is enabled, otherwise you wouldn't see anything on the screen. What's not enabled is Quartz Extreme, the version of Quartz that uses OpenGL for compositing.

However, this is NOT the problem, because Leopard runs just fine on old G4 Macs that do not support Quartz Extreme. It's the missing AltiVec unit in the G3 processor that's causing all these crashes. If you want Leopard to run on your machine, you can only hope that Apple suddenly decides that it wants to support G3s, too (very unlikely), or that someone writes a decent AltiVec emulator for the G3 (but of course, all these AltiVec commands would slow down the Mac considerably).