Cheaper Hackintosh build.

10 posts in this topic

Yes, its possible to build a hackintosh for even less than that depending on specs/performance you want. If the hardware is compatible, things should be mostly smooth.

I won't recommend specific brands but you should be looking at a modern Haswell system.

That means an H81 motherboard, an i3-4xxx cpu, 4GB DDR3-1600 RAM, a small SSD as a boot drive, a compatible discreet GPU (since iGPUs have issues with the upcoming Yosemite).

Discreet GPU means a separate PCIe card (eg. AMD Radeon or nVidia GeForce) as opposed to integrated GPU which means an Intel HD (part of CPU). Check the wiki for compatible GPUs. 

The parts I mentioned above are compatible and should provide "a lag free" experience, providing everything is installed correctly. No guarantees though as Hackintoshes are a hit and miss.

As for performance, it depends on your CPU and GPU choices. 

Make an initial list of hardware you're considering, post here and we'll tell you if it works.

Looks great, should work fine.

The motherboard has an RTL8111 ethernet and and ALC662 sound card which are both well supported.

The GTX650 works OOB with stock drivers and with nvidia web drivers.

I'd recommend using Clover to get the power management stuff done on the fly. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Would i get boost in performance that way?

Depends, if you use a little more resource demanding programs or you multitask a lot, the 8GB will increase performance. If you don't think you need the 8GB, don't get it. You can always upgrade if you think 4GB isn't enough.