Chameleon can't see Windows 8.1 boot partition.

hbt15

12 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Never had this before. Have just this morning installed 10.9.4 on a spare mechanical HD and it's working awesome. 

Issue i'm having though is i can't boot into windows from Chameleon as it can't see the Windows boot partition. It only shows the main windows partition which isn't bootable.

Previously Chameleon would always show "System Reserved" for the windows boot partition which i just renamed to "Windows" and i'd hide the normal data partition.

Any ideas? I can boot into OSX fine through Chameleon but to boot into windows i have to do it through my Motherboard boot options menu which is no good.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Windows 8.1 on a Samsung SSD. In disk utility via OSX the windows boot partitions show as greyed out which has something to do with it no doubt.

Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7, 16gb RAM, GTX 760.

Thanks. Been doing this for years but really can't get my head around this clover business.

I can't format/delete/re-install my Windows install. It has to remain.

I don't mind if have to redo the osx one though. Rather avoid that also though if possible.

Looking for a simple guide for this scenario if one exists. My current osx works fine so was hoping could just add something to it to fix the Windows boot issue.

Cheers.

It's very simple: Chameleon cannot boot Windows when it is installed in UEFI mode.

If you don't want to reinstall Windows, your only option is to switch to Clover. There is no need to do anything to OS X, OS X has nothing to do with this issue.

Experiment with Clover installed to a flash drive. Once it works the way you want it, go ahead and replace Chameleon with Clover.

Sorry to sound so dumb but what do you mean experiment with clover on usb drive?

I've had a look at the guides above and just can't make heads and tails of it all as to where to start.

Not having to reinstall Windows or osx is a good thing though.

What he means is create a USB drive with clover installed for UEFI booting only method just select that option when installing onto the drive. Now you do not need to create an install usb you only need the boot loader installed once you have done this and booted the machine with it to confirm everything works you use the same settings to install onto most likely your OS X drive then set that as first drive in your boot options and you will have the option to boot into your windows as you want to. You need to partition the USB drive as GUID with disk utility under OS X so that it has the EFI partition on it and hopefully that is how you did the OS X drive you put in there as well or it will not have that partition if you did MBR as you will not be able to do the UEFI install on a MBR drive.

Ahh ok it's starting to make sense now. Sorry mate.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

Leave Windows and osx installs as they are as both work fine, just not via a boot loader yet.

Download clover and instead of installing it to the osx drive, install it to a usb thumb drive instead with whatever settings I think might work.

Have my bios boot to the clover usb first and it should then load up clover and see all my partitions including Windows? I assume Windows will just boot normally when I select it but getting osx to boot will be a matter of trying different settings until it works.

On the right track?

Thanks mate.

Yes exactly. This way it's completely safe, you can experiment with it, break it, bend it, install it wrong, configure it wrong or do whatever you want. You get to keep all the pieces and you can still boot OS X and Windows. Once you feel that you've figured it out, install it to hard drive.

I bet you're going "why didn't I think of that".

Yes exactly.

I bet you're going "why didn't I think of that".

Haha. Yeah was a bit like that.

Created usb as boot uefi only and everything shows up including Windows. Windows boots fine but osx doesn't anymore so now gotta try figure out how to get that going and then should be good to go.