Can't install - black screen

kjp4756

25 posts in this topic

I'm trying to install the public beta of yosemite on my system that is in my signature.  I have clover 2820 which works fine with mavericks.  I downloaded the installer for yosemite and used the createinstallmedia install method to install the installer to a 16GB flash drive.  I boot clover with the flash drive plugged in and chose the install yosemite entry.  I also have fakesmc and my realtek driver in kexts/10.10.  I chose to boot the installer with injected kexts. 

The boot messages show fakesmc loading and also the realtek driver.  I then get a bunch of launchd errors about path not found.  This goes on for a minute or 2 then I see a message from the realtek driver saying link up and the connection speed.  I then see some more launchd messages and then my monitor goes in to standby and nothing else happens.

I have a monitor plugged in to the DVI port which is how it has been since 2009.  I am using nvidia injection in clover.  I also enabled vbios and I use vbios patching to enable 1080p in clover.  

Can anyone offer any tips?  I do think the installer is loaded it's just that there is no video.

Thanks!

Injectnvidia=true!!!!!?

Yes I believe I have that.  Here's my config.plist.  This works fine for mavericks.  I want to install yosemite to a separate partition.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>ACPI</key>
<dict>
<key>DSDT</key>
<dict>
<key>Debug</key>
<false/>
<key>DropOEM_DSM</key>
<dict>
<key>ATI</key>
<false/>
<key>Firewire</key>
<false/>
<key>HDA</key>
<false/>
<key>HDMI</key>
<false/>
<key>IDE</key>
<false/>
<key>IntelGFX</key>
<false/>
<key>LAN</key>
<true/>
<key>LPC</key>
<false/>
<key>NVidia</key>
<true/>
<key>SATA</key>
<false/>
<key>SmBUS</key>
<false/>
<key>USB</key>
<false/>
<key>WIFI</key>
<false/>
</dict>
<key>Fixes</key>
<dict>
<key>DeleteUnused_400000</key>
<true/>
<key>FixRegions_10000000</key>
<true/>
<key>NewWay_80000000</key>
<true/>
</dict>
<key>Name</key>
<string>DSDT.aml</string>
<key>ReuseFFFF</key>
<false/>
</dict>
<key>SSDT</key>
<dict>
<key>DropOem</key>
<true/>
<key>Generate</key>
<dict>
<key>CStates</key>
<false/>
<key>PStates</key>
<false/>
</dict>
</dict>
</dict>
<key>Boot</key>
<dict>
<key>Arguments</key>
<string>darkwake=8</string>
<key>Legacy</key>
<string>PBR</string>
<key>Log</key>
<false/>
<key>Secure</key>
<false/>
<key>Timeout</key>
<integer>5</integer>
<key>XMPDetection</key>
<false/>
</dict>
<key>Devices</key>
<dict>
<key>USB</key>
<dict>
<key>FixOwnership</key>
<true/>
<key>Inject</key>
<true/>
</dict>
</dict>
<key>GUI</key>
<dict>
<key>Custom</key>
<dict>
<key>Entries</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Hidden</key>
<true/>
<key>InjectKexts</key>
<true/>
<key>NoCaches</key>
<false/>
<key>Type</key>
<string>OSXRecovery</string>
</dict>
</array>
</dict>
<key>Hide</key>
<array>
<string>BOOTX64.EFI</string>
</array>
<key>Language</key>
<string>en:0</string>
<key>Mouse</key>
<dict>
<key>Enabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Mirror</key>
<false/>
<key>Speed</key>
<integer>2</integer>
</dict>
<key>Scan</key>
<dict>
<key>Entries</key>
<true/>
<key>Legacy</key>
<false/>
<key>Tool</key>
<false/>
</dict>
<key>ScreenResolution</key>
<string>1920x1080</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>applestyle</string>
</dict>
<key>Graphics</key>
<dict>
<key>Inject</key>
<dict>
<key>ATI</key>
<false/>
<key>Intel</key>
<false/>
<key>NVidia</key>
<true/>
</dict>
<key>LoadVBios</key>
<true/>
<key>PatchVBios</key>
<true/>
<key>PatchVBiosBytes</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
NC0nKJAroL+cj5a5jh8AAAA=
</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
Fg7vn4/9AmM7N8/rQADBJAI=
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
QAa6sAQ=
</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
gAe6OAQ=
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
gg8DAQAACAQUAAAIFw==
</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
TQEDTQEIASDAA///IA==
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
KAAZACgYCAgF
</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
gAc4BPBCEAcF
</data>
</dict>
</array>
</dict>
<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
<dict>
<key>AppleRTC</key>
<true/>
<key>AsusAICPUPM</key>
<true/>
<key>KextsToPatch</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string></string>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
SGVhZHBob25lcwA=
</data>
<key>Name</key>
<string>VoodooHDA</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
VGVsZXBob25lcwA=
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>External icons patch</string>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
RXh0ZXJuYWw=
</data>
<key>Name</key>
<string>AppleAHCIPort</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
SW50ZXJuYWw=
</data>
</dict>
</array>
</dict>
<key>RtVariables</key>
<dict>
<key>LogEveryBoot</key>
<string>10</string>
<key>LogLineCount</key>
<integer>3000</integer>
<key>MountEFI</key>
<string>No</string>
</dict>
<key>SMBIOS</key>
<dict>
<key>BoardSerialNumber</key>
<string>G8137738DB6927460</string>
<key>ProductName</key>
<string>iMac11,3</string>
<key>SerialNumber</key>
<string>G8137738DB6</string>
<key>Trust</key>
<true/>
</dict>
<key>SystemParameters</key>
<dict>
<key>InjectSystemID</key>
<true/>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Your config.plist didn't help much, thanks though.

I just tried disabling nvidia injection in my config.plist and patching in my video directly in to my DSDT.  Unfortunately that didn't change anything; still get a black screen with yosemite. I also tried the boot option "npci=0x3000" and that didn't help either.  

I think I'll just forget trying out the beta and will wait until the final version is out. 

Your config.plist didn't help much, thanks though.

I just tried disabling nvidia injection in my config.plist and patching in my video directly in to my DSDT.  Unfortunately that didn't change anything; still get a black screen with yosemite. I also tried the boot option "npci=0x3000" and that didn't help either.  

I think I'll just forget trying out the beta and will wait until the final version is out. 

I had nothing but problems with Clover 2818 and had success with r2795.

Good luck!

I had nothing but problems with Clover 2818 and had success with r2795.

Good luck!

Same result with 2795. Thanks anyway.

This is the first time I've had any sort of trouble with this system. I've been running os x on it since 10.6. Might be time to think about upgrading.

Try r2795 and replace VBoxHfs.efi with HFSPlus.efi in /EFI/CLOVER/Drivers64UEFI and /EFI/CLOVER/Drivers64.

There is no links support in VBoxHfs and thus CloverEFI can have difficulties booting USB installers created by 'createinstallmedia' - refer post by @Pene.

I'm not using uefi. Its a p55 system. Using legacy boot. Would this still apply to me?

Thanks I read through the whole post and tried some of the suggestions but nothing is working.

I also noticed I don't get the loading progress bar that I've seen people mention for yosemite.  I get nothing but verbose booting.  I also have a ton of xpc.launchd errors.  Not sure if that is normal or not.

Single user mode works from the USB installer.  Safe mode does not work.  I get a kernel panic and reboot.

Things I have tried so far:

1. Using kext-dev-mode=1. With or without, same issue.

2. Installer clover r2795 to my USB drive.  Disconnecting my mavericks HDD.  Booting from USB clover and installing that way.  Same problem there.

3. Not using graphics injection and patching DSDT directly.  I thought maybe there was a problem with graphics injection and yosemite.  This didn't help.

Thanks I read through the whole post and tried some of the suggestions but nothing is working.

I also noticed I don't get the loading progress bar that I've seen people mention for yosemite.  I get nothing but verbose booting.  I also have a ton of xpc.launchd errors.  Not sure if that is normal or not.

Single user mode works from the USB installer.  Safe mode does not work.  I get a kernel panic and reboot.

Things I have tried so far:

1. Using kext-dev-mode=1. With or without, same issue.

2. Installer clover r2795 to my USB drive.  Disconnecting my mavericks HDD.  Booting from USB clover and installing that way.  Same problem there.

3. Not using graphics injection and patching DSDT directly.  I thought maybe there was a problem with graphics injection and yosemite.  This didn't help.

Did yu try with this setting 

oo11.png

And set the config.plist like this for your Graphics card 

Nvidia=true

<key>Graphics</key>
<dict>
<key>Inject</key>
<dict>
<key>ATI</key>
<false/>
<key>Intel</key>
<true/>
<key>NVidia</key>
<true/>

@mcdugal33

Hello!

According to a by PikeRalpha given information Apple has changed the gfx management starting with 10 9.3.

You should try to temporary add under options of clover the argument nv_disable=1 and then boot your install. Then copy over from S/L/E the AppleGraphicsControl.kext to desktop and add your Systemboard ID from SMBios (iMac 11,1) in the info.plist of  AppleGraphicsControl.Kext/Contents/Plugings/AppleGraphicsDeviicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist as last line of the Configmap with the other models in this way:

<key>Mac-F2268DAE</key>             
                <string>none</string>

Then install back the kext with kextutilitiy and update chaches. After rebooting your system should work as before.

Have fun.

• Like 3

@mcdugal33

Hello!

According to a by PikeRalpha given information Apple has changed the gfx management starting with 10 9.3.

You should try to temporary add under options of clover the argument nv_disable=1 and then boot your install. Then copy over from S/L/E the AppleGraphicsControl.kext to desktop and add your Systemboard ID from SMBios (iMac 11,1) in the info.plist of AppleGraphicsControl.Kext/Contents/Plugings/AppleGraphicsDeviicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist as last line of the Configmap with the other models in this way:

Mac-F2268DAE

none

Then install back the kext with kextutilitiy and update chaches. After rebooting your system should work as before.

Have fun.

Looks interesting. I'll give it a try later. I am currently on 10.9.4 and never had to do anything like this. Maybe it will help with yosemite.

UPDATE: nv_disable=1 was the key. I'm able to get to the installer now. I attempted to install on to a separate 30GB partition called "Yosemite" and the installer looks like it made it to the end. It took a while at 1 second remaining. Eventually the screen went black and text appeared on the screen and it began to go through the reboot process. Computer rebooted to clover and I notice there is no yosemite. I booted in to mavericks and saw there is only 1 folder on the yosemite partition; "OS X Install Data". Something must've went wrong.

UPDATE 2: went to try installing again and while booting the installer the installation started stage 2.

SUCCESS!  Yosemite is installed.  All I needed was nv_disable=1 for the installation.  After it was installed almost everything works.  I'm having a hard time getting kexts to load from /System/Library/Extensions.  The only way I can boot is with clover kext injection.  Not too sure what is going on there.

Thanks everyone!

• 2 months later...

Set nv_disable=1 in clover and installed, once booted I removed the flag and acceleration and display works fine. Strange that it works when installed but not during the installer :S

Thanks a lot for this :)

@mcdugal33

Hello!

You should try to temporary add under options of clover the argument nv_disable=1 and then boot your install. Then copy over from S/L/E the AppleGraphicsControl.kext to desktop and add your Systemboard ID from SMBios (iMac 11,1) in the info.plist of  AppleGraphicsControl.Kext/Contents/Plugings/AppleGraphicsDeviicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist as last line of the Configmap with the other models in this way:

<key>Mac-F2268DAE</key>             

<string>none</string>

Have fun.

This did not work for me. nv_disable=1 did indeed let me boot (with no acceleration), but copying the SystemBoardID from SMBIOS into that kext (and then installing the kext and rebuilding cache) did not help. I still have to use nv_disable=1 or else I get a black screen.

Hello!

Try to install the kext back with KextUtility.

Have fun.

OK, I'll try it. I don't see why it should make any difference which utility is used to install the kext, but I'm willing to give it a shot. I'll post later after I do it.

UPDATE: It made no difference, the displays still get shut off after the verbose part of the boot.

I was struggling with something that appeared to be the same problem: I updated a working Mavericks 10.9.2 installation to 10.9.5 and my screen would go black after making it through the verbose part of booting. I would see the grey apple for a short while then, when the login screen would normally appear, the display would go dark.

I tried changing the Mac model description in SMBIOS, I tried combinations of kext-dev-mode-1 and nvda_drv=1 but the only flag that would let me boot was nv_disable=1 which disabled accelerated graphics.

Lastly, I unchecked "Inject NVidia" in Clover Configurator->Graphics and things appear to be OK now. I am running at my screen's full resolution again and the NVIDIA web driver I installed is loading.

If you haven't already, you may want to try unchecking "Inject NVIDIA." For clarity, here are some other settings I am booting with.

Motherboard: GA-Z77x-UP5-TH

darkwake=0

slide=0

kext-dev-mode=1

nvda_drv=1

model: iMac 13,2