Issues Installing OSX-server ontop of 10.4.7 tiger

OSX86tester

6 posts in this topic

help! i am having troubles installing this version on top of 10.4.7 Jas.

here are my steps:

booting off the DVD:

then for installation type I hit Customize...

Selected*

Greyed out is the SSE2!. Which i need! damnit! lol

other option is selecting intel 10.4.7 combo update*

Not selected***

printer drivers... lol 2gigs what a waste lol

languages. again i dont plan on translating svenska anytime soon :)

X11 dunno what it is not botherin with it..

and no SSE3 cuz we all know dell latitude c840's arent SSE3. For a grand total of 1.7 GIGS of an update.

Installing Bbase System Part 1 (status) *completed*

Installing essentials *DVD stops spinning* this is what happened last time.... ok it picked up..... writing files :)

Installing BSD Subsystem wrote files and package reciept* good!

Ok stupid languages is loading though i did not select them. I made sure they was not checked..... its goin thru them ^$^%^&%^& :censored2: :censored2: :censored2: ....... right after the damn french loads it now says

There were errors installing the software

Please try installing again.

Any ideas anyone?. this is the first time *second* ive ever encountered this problem. :(

ok since server install was a no go i tried to just be happy and start up osx since the server fiasco im fuct, now osx is almost done loading as soon as the progress bar appears, it just hangs. and im starting at a screen (i am able to move my mouse) but the mac os never gets done loading.... ive tried repairing permissions * that didnt help.... * ive tried reloading osx 10.4.7 and i got errors at the end of the install . why is SSE2 greyed out? ive selected intel combo update :) i would reckon that would help. anyway anyone with any help is appreciated. now im just trying not to wipe the disk, if it means i have to install osx on some free partition space to recover the data im up for it. i just wanna make sure its data worth backing up ya know!

1) Installing anything but an update "over top" an existing install is nuts. You should back up your critical data, install the new installation and then restore your critical data.

2) The installer detects the existing installation. SSE2 is greyed out because you installed it before and a receipt has been detected. Other key features of "server" may not be installed "over top" of the existing OSX if it detects receipts for that feature.

3) If the installation gives up due to errors, either the DVD has problems or the iso was corrupt. Reburn the DVD at the slowest speed possible. If that doesn't work, re-download the iso.

4) Restarting after a failed installation attempt isn't going to work, not all files have been written to disk, so you have an incomplete installation. It won't boot up.

well i get 1 pixel off the bar, i will try -v -f -x from what i saw jas's reply.

*update* I cant get into verbose mode for the life of me :censored: im trying F8 no go. it does its / | \ / Loading Darwin..... thats when i hit F8 no dice now the window appears Mac OS X and progress bar lights up 1 pixel and freezes on Starting Mac OS X..

so techtool or diskwarrior wont do anything???

im trying F8 no go. it does its / | \ / Loading Darwin..... thats when i hit F8

so techtool or diskwarrior wont do anything???

You don't wait for the Loading Darwin message to hit F8. As soon as you initiate the boot, the screen turns black. Start tapping F8 quickly and repeatedly as soon as the screen turns black.

Those utilites will only fix problems with the disk drive/partition. They don't fix a failed OSX installation attempt. Besides, Disk Warrior is not yet Intel Mac compatible.

will try whats scary is i did burn @ 4X i iwll try again hopefully i dont have to redownload the darn thing :D

In attempt to recover the data i made a 6.5Gb linux partition whihc the disk utility wont mount so ima format that again with acronis and make it fat32 *crosses fingers* i brought my laptop to work hehe