Torvalds takes bite of Mac mini

Alessandro17

30 posts in this topic

I agree with Nonny Moose, though I don't usually. Impossible for Torvalds to do that? Why? HE creates the kernel and if he patents it or changes the user agreement on it, then HE can change the way Linux runs. Now it would probably hurt/kill many distros, but saying "impossible" is silly.

Linux is what it is? Your right, a miss mash of code that is good in its own right, but as unorganized as a college freshmans first programing assignment. When standardizations come, then Linux will rise but from the attitude of Torvalds and the Linux community, Linux will stay in obscurity.

I agree with Nonny Moose, though I don't usually. Impossible for Torvalds to do that? Why? HE creates the kernel and if he patents it or changes the user agreement on it, then HE can change the way Linux runs. Now it would probably hurt/kill many distros, but saying "impossible" is silly.

Linux is what it is? Your right, a miss mash of code that is good in its own right, but as unorganized as a college freshmans first programing assignment. When standardizations come, then Linux will rise but from the attitude of Torvalds and the Linux community, Linux will stay in obscurity.

To change it that dramaticly he would have to contact all the developers that created parts of the kernel and get their permission or remove those parts. Or are you not getting it? Linux is not a single man job. Nor is its development linked to a single person sure linus is the Father but he is not the gatekeeper. This is the problem with GPLv3 unless you dont pay attention. Alot of things have to fall together for there to be a big change dont expect it to be. If you want easy distros look around they exist.

Suse, Xandros, Linspire, Ubuntu etc they all are idiot proof. Give them a whirl see what happens. You might actually like it :(

Not to mention you dont have to have SSE2/3 to use it :blink:

I think apple could full well make OSX run on older systems its based off bsd... Stupid IMO to limit it with so many ways... EFI, SSE3, TPM, Vomit whatever is left...

To change it that dramaticly he would have to contact all the developers that created parts of the kernel and get their permission or remove those parts. Or are you not getting it? Linux is not a single man job. Nor is its development linked to a single person sure linus is the Father but he is not the gatekeeper.

Not to mention that Linus, together with many other people, develops just the kernel.

What about the 20,000+ OSS applications which can be run on top of the Linux Kernel?

The Linux Kernel is fine, IMHO. It is how a distribution is created that makes all the difference.

To change it that dramaticly he would have to contact all the developers that created parts of the kernel and get their permission or remove those parts. Or are you not getting it? Linux is not a single man job. Nor is its development linked to a single person sure linus is the Father but he is not the gatekeeper. This is the problem with GPLv3 unless you dont pay attention. Alot of things have to fall together for there to be a big change dont expect it to be. If you want easy distros look around they exist.

Suse, Xandros, Linspire, Ubuntu etc they all are idiot proof. Give them a whirl see what happens. You might actually like it :poster_oops:

Not to mention you dont have to have SSE2/3 to use it :D

I think apple could full well make OSX run on older systems its based off bsd... Stupid IMO to limit it with so many ways... EFI, SSE3, TPM, Vomit whatever is left...

I have used distros from Mandrake 7, they are not idiot proof. Plus Linux does not have a easy install system like OSX. I am System Administrator and I can download stuff at work, and bring it home since I am stuck with dial up. Linux does have systems for broadband people to download the programs and files with a repository system. Fine for them, but still isn't addressing the issue of no standardization in linux installs. I have a system I did run hackintosh on, just couldn't upgrade it. So I stopped and waiting for a mac I can get my hands on. Linux is good, but not polished like OSX. The points you made prove my point: Linux is to scatter brained to be standardized and efficient.