Hi guys, this thread is to show you a new and open source app, created by me, that I called TINU:
The name means: TINU Is Not #####, the U refers to a popular software that is used to create Mac OS hackintosh installers (that for good reasons is banned on this forum), but the aim of the name is to explain that this app is a totally different thing from that software and works in a totally different way.
This app basically is a graphical interface for the createinstallmedia executable that is inside the Mac OS installer apps, it is capable to create a Mac OS installer on a drive completely vanilla like what you do using the command line method, and also this method is recommended by apple itself. In addition to this, this app provvides also to you some customization features and a better management of the hall macOS isntall media creation process
Allows you to create easily a macOS install media without messing around with command line stuff and without using disk utility, all you need to do is use the app and then install clover on the usb drive once TINU has finished or leave it as is you want to use it on a Mac.
- Simple to use UI that allows you to easily start the macOS install media creation process
- It can work with every Mac OS installer app that has the createinstallmedia executable inside of it's resources folder (including also beta and newly released installers)
- You can use any drive or partition you want that can be erased and is at least 7 GB of size
- Works on Mac OS recovery, so you can create a macOS install media from a bootable macOS installer or from the macOs recovery, and you can use TINU to install macOS too.
- All vanilla, the macOS install medias created with this tool are 100% vanilla, just like you created them using the command line "createinstallmedia" method in the terminal, with also some extra optiona features
- Open source, you will know what this program does on your computer and also you can create your own version by downloading and playing with the source code
- Does not requires to do anything of special first, just open the program
- No need to go in disk utility first, TINU can format your drive for you
- Uses recent and more modern APIs and SDKs and Swift 3 language
- Transparent graphics style available (use alt + s on the keyboard or View->Use transparent style)
- Works using the latest versions of macOS and will also support newer Mac installers out of the box without needing for an update
- Advanced section, to customize your macOS install media
- Installer customization: Kernelcache/prelinkedknerel and boot files replacement (a feature that can be handy while dealing with old Macs or with beta installers when you need to mod or change the boot files some times)
- Clover EFI folder installer
Features that are planned for some future versions:
- Integrated EFI partition mounter tool (TINU can already mount EFI partitions from version 2.0, but a dedicated section which allows to mount every EFI partition in the system will be added)
- Install clover and configure clover
- Install kexts inside the kexts folder of clover
- Clover drivers customization
- Use custom dsdt in clover
- integrated pre-made clover config templates database from a remote and open repository
- Support for other languages, at least Italian
- A computer that runs Mac OS X Yosemite or a more recent version (Mac OS X El Capitan is required to use TINU in a macOS recovery or installer)
- A drive or a free partition of at least 7 GB that you want to turn into a macOS/Mac OS X installer
- A copy of a macOS/Mac OS X installer app (Maveriks or newer versions are supported) in the /Applications folder or in the root of any storage device in your machine (excepted the drive or volume you want to turn into your macOS install media)
Note that this app is under the GNU GPL v3 license so any reuse of the source code must follow the license's terms
Latest stable TINU release:
Download the app: https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU/releases
View the source code: https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU
Frequently asked questions about TINU: https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU/wiki/FAQs
NOTE: if you have problems with your USB installer of 10.13.4 or newer version not being detected by clover you have to use the latest clover and if it still does not detectets your usb installer you have to remove the invivible file called .IAPhysicalMedia located into the root of the usb installer. This issue is caused by a changement in the apple's createinstallmedia, don't blame TINU for that, TINU does only uses the installer creation method from apple, which has been changed by appleitself, causing this problem for hackintosh users some times, this issue should be resolved in the latest versions of clover which will no longer require that you do changements to let your usb dive to be detected, a setting to do this fix automatically in tinu is also present TINU in the adavnced settings, starting from the version 2.0 of the app.
I leave also some screenshots as well
This is a brief guide on how to create a vanilla El Capitan (also same process for Sierra) OS X Installer USB with an updated prelinked kernel containing FakeSMC.
It is tailored for those users who want to understand the “nuts and bolts” of how to create an installer and also to help brush up on their terminal skills (rather than have one made for them with the numerous automated “tools” available or even Apple’s createinstallmedia) :
Specifically, it is also a “Proof of Concept” which shows that installation is possible without even having to rely on boot loader kext injection.
Existing Yosemite installation (or Mavericks - see post#4 for steps 7,8)
“Install OS X El Capitan.app" downloaded to the Applications folder
FakeSMC.kext - Slice or Kozlek branch
Bootloader - Clover or Chameleon
8GB or larger USB drive (16GB recommended), formatted HFS+ (MBR or GUID) named “Installer”
1. Boot into Yosemite with the kext-dev-mode=1 boot flag
2. Open OS X terminal and type the following lines, followed by <Enter> after each line.
The image restore and file copying may take a while to complete, and at the end of the process, the Installer volume is renamed to “OS X Base System"....
hdiutil attach /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg
asr restore -source /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg -target /Volumes/Installer -erase -format HFS+ -noprompt -noverify
rm /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages
cp -av /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation
cp -av /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System
diskutil unmount /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD
3. Right click on the “OS X Base System” Volume and click “Get Info”
4. Click on the lock icon and untick “Ignore ownership on this volume”
5. Extract/Copy the El Capitan Kernels folder into /System/Library/ of the USB with Pacifist. NB It is found in the "Essentials.pkg" in /System/Installation/Packages
6. Delete or Rename the original /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel —> OG.prelinkedkernel
7. Copy FakeSMC.kext and other necessary kexts (e.g. VoodooPS2Controller.kext for laptops) into the /Library/Extensions folder of the installer USB using Finder.
8. Back in terminal, type the following lines, followed by <Enter> after each line to rebuild the prelinkedkernel…..
chmod -R 755 /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/Library/Extensions
chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/Library/Extensions
touch /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions
kextcache -u /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System
Any errors should be noted but the output below is normal e.g.
9. Install your Bootloader targeting the OS X Base System volume
10. Boot your system with the USB without injected kexts into the OS X Installer GUI....
The original prelinked kernel in a fresh install of El Capitan will also lack FakeSMC ie it will only be linked to Apple signed kexts. In order to boot into El Capitan the first time around without boot loader kext injection, the PLK needs to be rebuilt for the El Capitan volume like we did for the installer:
1. Boot into Yosemite with the kext-dev-mode=1 boot flag
2. Delete or Rename the original /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel for the El Capitan volume —> OG.prelinkedkernel
3. Copy FakeSMC.kext and other necessary kexts (e.g. VoodooPS2Controller.kext for laptops) into the /Library/Extensions folder of El Capitan using Finder
4. Back in terminal, type the following lines, followed by <Enter> after each line to rebuild the prelinkedkernel. In this example, the El Capitan volume is named "El_Capitan" - change if you have named it something else...
chmod -R 755 /Volumes/El_Capitan/Library/Extensions
chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/El_Capitan/Library/Extensions
kextcache -u /Volumes/El_Capitan
5. Install your Bootloader targeting the El Capitan volume. This step is only necessary if you are installing El Capitan on a new drive without existing boot loader (not required if installing on a disk with existing boot loader beside Yosemite).
6. Reboot your system without injected kexts into El Capitan!
The All-In-One Guide to Vanilla OS X for beginners
Updates for Sierra and High Sierra
Custom Prelinkedkernel Generator Tool
I have made a custom prelinkedkernel generator "PLK.tool" for Sierra + El Capitan. Instructions:
1. Download and extract the attached BaseSystem_PLK.tool.zip into your ~/Downloads folder.
2. Copy any extra kexts necessary for booting your hack to ~/Downloads/BaseSystem/ExtraKexts (e.g. FakeSMC, VoodooPS2Controller), making sure SIP is disabled.
3. Copy BaseSystem.dmg to ~/Downloads/BaseSystem
4. Open terminal and run the following commands...
chmod +x PLK.tool
---> supply your admin password ---> will place your new custom prelinkedkernel on the desktop.
macOS High Sierra bypass Firmware and MBR checks in post#13.
Now have a Olarila Folders app, just download app and clover folder for your Chipset!
Create a bootable copy of macOS Sierra
Check out the link
--Install Clover in USB stick UEFI mode
--Install System and boot with USB STICK!
--Install Clover in UEFI mode and replace with my folder
Mavericks / Yosemite
El Capitan / Sierra
CLOVER El Capitan-Sierra.zip
--Reboot and activate video!
Now you need a fine tune! I prefer DSDT way, apply all patches in one file, many people prefer many SSDTs or Clover patches!
If you need DSDT edit...
-Post your full Clover folder with original tables in Origin folder(Extract with F4 in Clover boot screen)
-Post Ioreg, extract with Ioreg Explorer
-Run it, post files generate in your desktop
-FIX ERRORS AND WARNINGS
Generate your SSDT Power Management, use ssdtPRGen Piker-Alpha
run in terminal
curl -o ~/ssdtPRGen.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh/Beta/ssdtPRGen.sh
chmod +x ~/ssdtPRGen.sh
Clear NVRAM, Purge and Kextcache
stock coolerand Rio 40º
Credits and thanks to the old and new people in the community who developed patches, kexts and bootloaders!