1,926 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Pavo said:

Yes

LYeWFrI.png

This is not HWMonitorSMC2.app! Try to decompress the package and manual install the kext and the framework.

Advertisement

Thank you all

Please I got this result but I am not sure !!!

Please see my GPU Sensors ; is it correct ?

Screen Shot 2019-07-07 at 9.30.47 AM.png

Hi @vector sigma,

is it possible to make somehow HWMonitorSMC2 to NOT autostarted at system launch?

I checkout its preferences.

I exclude in from Login Items.

I checked Luach Daemons.

Anyway after restart the monitor is started again...

I need this to debug SMC keys without monitor.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Slice said:

Hi @vector sigma,

is it possible to make somehow HWMonitorSMC2 to NOT autostarted at system launch?

I checkout its preferences.

I exclude in from Login Items.

I checked Luach Daemons.

Anyway after restart the monitor is started again...

I need this to debug SMC keys without monitor.

Hi Slice, that already happened to me... but later I've realize that I hade more the one HWMonitorSMC2.app that wanted to load at login (due to some tests with various copies of the source code), and since at app initialization each app unload itself if another HWMonitorSMC2.app is already running ..at next reboot, again, another app was showing up. Please ensure this is not the problem, anyway I'll revise the code.

EDIT

For the moment, a simple way to ensure no smc calls are made, just go to the settings and uncheck each sensor group that reads smc keys:

488682568_Screenshot2019-07-19at19_14_27.png.858b09e406e9b0933f73a2f396500874.png

media, ram and battery groups doesn't use the smc. Settings are shared between each app, so this way we can ensure smc doesn't get  opened.

On 7/7/2019 at 9:40 AM, zkingtut said:

Thank you all

Please I got this result but I am not sure !!!

Please see my GPU Sensors ; is it correct ?

Screen Shot 2019-07-07 at 9.30.47 AM.png

looks ok to me

Edited by vector sigma

3 hours ago, vector sigma said:

Hi Slice, that already happened to me... but later I've realize that I hade more the one HWMonitorSMC2.app that wanted to load at login (due to some tests with various copies of the source code), and since at app initialization each app unload itself if another HWMonitorSMC2.app is already running ..at next reboot, again, another app was showing up. Please ensure this is not the problem, anyway I'll revise the code.

EDIT

For the moment, a simple way to ensure no smc calls are made, just go to the settings and uncheck each sensor group that reads smc keys:

media, ram and battery groups doesn't use the smc. Settings are shared between each app, so this way we can ensure smc doesn't get  opened.

looks ok to me

This moment I am sure having only one app. But I don't know if macOS remembered it twice.

I resolved the problem deleting the app. Next time I will restore it from archive.

I have many news about using SMC keys so FakeSMC and plugins will be updated.

Hi @Slice per my earlier message, were I tried your plugin for the ITE IT8987VG, I suspect that I have too few SMC keys reported by your SMC_util3 as its output has no visual indication of a FAN being reported, FNum shows 0...!

Could this mean that the Intel NUC8's DSDT is reporting no fans, despite visible in the BIOS page? Can we help this situation by creating an SSDT-xxx.AML to retrieve that FAN data or recreate it from the disassembled DSDT? This is very curious, why would Intel block these keys...

Also, can you confirm that IntelCPUMonitor supports officially the Coffee Lake (Bean Canyon) generation? It's Intel Core i7-8559U / Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655.

Any ideas/help are welcome. Thanks again.

Yes, IntelCPUMonitor supported CoffeeLake processores model 0x9E. See dmesg->kernel.log to find any messages about CPU.

Give me your DSDT and I will look if there is something to do with it. And all SSDT as well!

On 7/22/2019 at 4:31 AM, Slice said:

Yes, IntelCPUMonitor supported CoffeeLake processores model 0x9E. See dmesg->kernel.log to find any messages about CPU.

Give me your DSDT and I will look if there is something to do with it. And all SSDT as well!

Thanks for your kind offer.

BIOS v56 ACPI Tables (DSDTs/SSDTs) attached. 

Intel NUC8i7BEH BIOS v56 ACPI Tables.zip

On 7/26/2019 at 8:16 PM, MacKonsti said:

Thanks for your kind offer.

BIOS v56 ACPI Tables (DSDTs/SSDTs) attached. 

Intel NUC8i7BEH BIOS v56 ACPI Tables.zip

I see you have "ITE8708" so usual plugin ITE87X should work on your hardware but there is no such id

there are

IT8705F = 0x8705,
  IT8712F = 0x8712,

I will add here 8708 a little later.

Posted (edited)
On 7/29/2019 at 10:39 AM, Slice said:

I see you have "ITE8708" so usual plugin ITE87X should work on your hardware but there is no such id

there are

IT8705F = 0x8705,
  IT8712F = 0x8712,

I will add here 8708 a little later.

Hi @Slice thank you for your time spent on this DSDT pack, I am impressed because Intel's product PDF explicitly mentions ITE IT8987E-VG (most likely chipset ID 0x8987 as I tried to find it by booting to Linux and run some hardware info command) in this official PDF here (see page 2 and page 19). Your comments welcome.

On 7/29/2019 at 9:50 PM, Slice said:

@MacKonsti 

Test, please

ITEIT87x.kext.zip

Thank you very much, please allow me for some days to reply, I am currently away from home and have no access to the NUC8 hackintosh. Thank you again, I look forward!

You think there is a need for a special SSDT-xxx device still? Because plugins or not, you SMC_util3 had reported zero fans :(

Edited by MacKonsti

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Slice said:

why HWMonitorSMC2 doesn't show FAN when it really present but for a moment it is silent.

The code suppose that to be a good sensor the value must be greater of 0 and less-equal of 7000, good or not just to not show improbable values:

case .tachometer:
      sensor.stringValue = String(format: "%.0f", v)
      sensor.doubleValue = v
      valid = gShowBadSensors || (v > 0 && v <= 7000)

To debug sensors you have to create a file or a directory in to your Desktop called HWBadSensors, and all sensors will show up, even if considered bad (require a restart of the app). 

5 hours ago, Slice said:

If I burn CPU the FAN will rotate but HWMonitorSMC2 will not catch it.

The code I show you above validate sensors at the app start, so later if a FAN is malfunctioning any value is shown. In the project, drivers already do something similar:

if (readTachometer(i) > 10 || nameLength > 0) {
      if (!addTachometer(i, (nameLength > 0 ? name->getCStringNoCopy() : 0))) {
        WarningLog("error adding tachometer sensor %d", i);
      }
    }

must be > 10 rpm.... so if the FAN is already malfunctioning this is already excluded at startup. We can make it accept v >= 0 in the app, but if readTachometer return 0 the driver will not even add the key.... plus specs for some chips clearly state that a minimum value should be like 1.35e6 / 0xFFFF i.e 20.59... yep, unless we talk about laptop's fan(s).. did you?

But then the question is, how distinguish between a bad reading of the sensor and a malfunction or a breakage at start up? 

P.S. sensors validation happens for all other kinds like voltages, frequencies, temperatures etc. (~/Desktop/HWBadSensors skip it). Code and rules below (please advice for changes):

Spoiler

//MARK: SMC keys validation functions
  func validateValue(for sensor: HWMonitorSensor, data: Data, dataType: DataType) -> Bool {
    let v : Double = decodeNumericValue(from: data, dataType: dataType)
    var valid : Bool = false
    switch sensor.sensorType {
    case .temperature:
      if gShowBadSensors || (v > -15 && v < 125) {
        /*
         -10 min temp + 5 to ensure no one start a pc this way.
         125 (110 °C it is enough) to ensure reading is correct
         */
        sensor.stringValue = String(format: "%.f", v)
        sensor.doubleValue = v
        valid = true
      }
    case .battery: fallthrough /* only if from the smc */
    case .hdSmartLife:          /* only if from the smc */
      var t: Int = 0
      (data as NSData).getBytes(&t, length: MemoryLayout<Int>.size)

if gShowBadSensors || (t >= 0 && t <= 100) {
        sensor.stringValue = String(format: "%ld", t)
        sensor.doubleValue = v
        valid = true
      }
    case .voltage:
      sensor.stringValue = String(format: "%.3f", v)
      sensor.doubleValue = v
      // voltage sensors only refear to CPU and Motherboard's stuff
      // since Battery voltages are read directly from the IO Registry in this app.
      valid = gShowBadSensors || (v > -15 || v < 15)
    case .tachometer:
      sensor.stringValue = String(format: "%.0f", v)
      sensor.doubleValue = v
      valid = gShowBadSensors || (v > 0 && v <= 7000)
    case .frequencyCPU:  fallthrough
    case .frequencyGPU:  fallthrough
    case .frequencyOther:
      var MHZ: UInt = 0
      bcopy((data as NSData).bytes, &MHZ, 2)
      MHZ = swapBytes(MHZ)
      if sensor.unit == .GHz {
        MHZ = MHZ / 1000
      }
      sensor.stringValue = String(format: "%d", MHZ)
      sensor.doubleValue = Double(MHZ)
      valid = gShowBadSensors || (MHZ > 0 && MHZ < 9000) // OC record is 8794 (AMD FX-8350) on Nov 10 2012
    case .cpuPowerWatt:
      sensor.stringValue = String(format: "%.2f", v)
      sensor.doubleValue = v
      if sensor.key == SMC_IGPU_PACKAGE_WATT {
        valid = gShowBadSensors || (v >= 0 && v < 150) // 30 W max?
      } else {
        valid = gShowBadSensors || (v > 0 && v < 1000) // reached from an Intel i9-7890XE in extreme OC
      }
    case .multiplier:
      var m: UInt = 0
      bcopy((data as NSData).bytes, &m, 2)
      sensor.stringValue = String(format: "x%.f", Double(m) / 10)
      sensor.doubleValue = Double(m)
      valid = gShowBadSensors || (m > 0 && m <= 50)
    default:
      break
    }

return valid
  }

Edited by vector sigma

No, zero value is good. It means the FAN is stopped.

If the FAN not exist then drivers will not produce SMC keys F0Ac, F0ID. As well for FAN2 values F2Ac, F2ID.

7 hours ago, Slice said:

zero value is good. It means the FAN is stopped

Agreed, the old code was just in this view with the difference that drivers start at boot while you can restart the app after the login. Committed the change, anyway You should do the same with the drivers since a Fan can start at 0 rpm as well.

3 hours ago, vector sigma said:

Wants an alert window when this happens?:idea:

..maybe with a sound?

No, it is normal. My laptop started with stopped FAN until temperature increased up to 70 degree. Then FAN started.

Your latest Monitor is fine

Снимок экрана 2019-08-05 в 18.44.29.png

1 minute ago, Slice said:

My laptop started with stopped FAN until temperature increased up to 70 degree. Then FAN started.

Because never taken into account laptop's... until now.

2 minutes ago, Slice said:

Your latest Monitor is fine

good!

@vector sigma

HWMonitorSMC2 from r222, indications "Package IGPU" are frozen at the time of an application launch.
Earlier (the version with "GT") worked well. Please fix.

P.S.

I on former see two sensors "Package IGPU", from SMC keys and from IPG. I think better an settings option IPG shall switch sources.

1906235619_2019-08-0823_26_09.thumb.png.333544eb6b283c1a2b10414f44e22872.png

I'm needing help in getting HWMonitorSMC2 to display information from my motherboard. It uses the Nuvoton NCT6797D (at 0xD451). I've also downloaded the source code (version r222) and noticed this chip is not included. Could you please add it? I've tried to add it and compile, but no luck. Do you need any other information from my motherboard?

4 hours ago, Andrey1970 said:

HWMonitorSMC2 from r222, indications "Package IGPU" are frozen at the time of an application launch.
Earlier (the version with "GT") worked well. Please fix.

Thanks, tomorrow I'll take a look on it.